As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

quick interview question

HalberdBlueHalberdBlue Registered User regular
edited November 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I have a job interview on Thursday for a co-op position, and I'm supposed to bring a form they provided with me that includes previous work experience. It's for a research position and currently I do research part time in my department, so I plan on listing that. The only other two jobs I've had were as a golf caddie and at McDonald's. Should I even bother listing them? I don't even remember my supervisor's name from either of the jobs and I can't say that I learned much from either job except for "manual labor sucks." I had the job at McDonald's for a year and a half during high school, so I suppose that shows that I can stick with a job. I was only a caddie for a summer when I was 13. Since I'm a sophomore they probably aren't expecting a mountain of job experience, but I wonder if it will look bad if the only thing I list is a position I've only had for about 3 months (even though its closely related to what I'd be doing in the co-op position and I'm going to keep the position until the summer).

HalberdBlue on

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited November 2008
    List the research and list the McDs experience, as the latter shows that you're familiar with the demands of a real job (like: show up on time; respect authoritah; and so on). Don't bother listing the caddie job.

Dunno how long ago the McDs job was, but the supervisor may not even be the same. You could probably get away with a contact phone and the address.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    CryogenCryogen Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I'd certainly list the McDonalds job. Like you say, you stuck with it for a year and a half, which as a teenager is pretty decent. It doesnt matter that its not in a relevant field - at your age, i wouldnt expect a ton of relevant experience.

Cryogen on
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I usually list a few relevant jobs, picking the most recent ones. I would personally put down anything if it meant putting down more than only one though. Having one job listed says "only" one job to me, and you're right about showing that you can hold down a job is a good thing even though it has little to offer them skill-wise.

Once you've done co-op jobs, you'll be listing those and sliding McDonald's off the page when you apply for the real jobs, which is pretty much the point of co-op when they compare your resume against a freshly graduated resume that may have never worked a day in their life, period.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    Reverend_ChaosReverend_Chaos Suit Up! Spokane WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    seconding all the above.

McD's actually looks good to a lot of employers because it's a great entry level job. Especially if you were there for a year or more.

Just as important, if not MORE important is why you left. You NEVER want to trash talk a previous employer. It looks bad, and they will assume that if you work for them, you will trash talk them when you quit. Make something up if you have to, but don't say you quit because it sucked. Always talk about the positive aspects of a previous job and what it taught you.

I wouldn't bother puting the golf caddy down, but don't be afraid to mention it in the interview if they ask about job history. You can just tell them that it wasn't relevent and only a summer job, so you didn't bother to list it. Working summer jobs when you are younger looks good. It shows a motivation and a good work ethic.

Reverend_Chaos on
    “Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”
  • Options
    CryogenCryogen Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    seconding all the above.

McD's actually looks good to a lot of employers because it's a great entry level job. Especially if you were there for a year or more.

Just as important, if not MORE important is why you left. You NEVER want to trash talk a previous employer. It looks bad, and they will assume that if you work for them, you will trash talk them when you quit. Make something up if you have to, but don't say you quit because it sucked. Always talk about the positive aspects of a previous job and what it taught you.

I wouldn't bother puting the golf caddy down, but don't be afraid to mention it in the interview if they ask about job history. You can just tell them that it wasn't relevent and only a summer job, so you didn't bother to list it. Working summer jobs when you are younger looks good. It shows a motivation and a good work ethic.

Agreed. The golf caddy thing doesnt need to be on your resume, but if the opportunity arises it can be an excellent thing to drop in to conversation. Its interesting, and if the guy is a golfer, bam, easy rapport building exercise!

A friend of mine worked for a large retail chain when he was younger, while studying. Once he finished his degree, the first job he went for in his chosen field, he ended up badmouthing the chain and their practices during the interview. The guy then said "I used to be a department manager there when i was younger. It was a fantastic experience." Awkward city. He never got a call back. He also never talked down about previous jobs again :)

Cryogen on