As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

QUIT POSTING IN ME

freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jonesand his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
edited December 2008 in Games and Technology
Well, you morons have managed to fill up another entire thread, so we need a new one. Carry on.

New feature: Revisit your shame! Here's all the Fallout threads that I've started, starting before the release and moving towards today. God, you idiots post a lot.

Oldest
http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=67011
http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=72309
http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=73419
http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=73667
http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=73890
http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=74240
http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=74536
Newest

So Fallout 3 is out now. People have a lot of questions about it. In fact, people keep asking the same questions over and over again. I figure I might as well answer them here, and direct people to this post.

But this thread isn't just about Fallout 3, even though it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. We also cater to the retro crowd of Fallout and Fallout 2. I'll split this into two parts, then.

Fallout Classic!
What is a Fallout, you ask? Only the best turn-based post-apocalyptic RPG released in the 1990s!

Fallout 1 follows the exploits of the Vault Dweller as he journeys through the wastes in search of a water chip for his Vault. Without it, everyone in the Vault will surely die. On the way, he encounters radscorpions, deathclaws, gigantic rats, hideously mutated mutants, ghouls, super mutants and, arguably the most horrible of all, the dreaded Iguana on a Stick. Hint: It's not made out of Iguana.

Fallout 2 begins 80 years after the end of the original Fallout, and a direct descendant of the original Vault Dweller heads out into the wastes to save his village once again.

"But how do I get this wonderful game?" you ask.

There are a couple of ways. First, you can probably find a box verson on Amazon or eBay or something. Second, www.gog.com has 1 & 2 for the low, low price of $6 each. GameTap has Fallout 1 on its free list, and Fallout 2 is on the paid subscription plan. Fallout Tactics is also coming soon. The caveat with GameTap is that you can't install mods, no matter how hard you might want to. If you prefer to play an unmodded experience, then by all means go get it today. *Note: only in North America. Sorry Euroguys.

The Fallout Tutorial!
If you're brand new to Fallout, check here first. This will get you on your feet.
First, you can right-click on your "weapon" button to change modes. The one with a little target on it means you are now in "called shot" mode. You can aim for specific body parts, and if you knock them hard enough it'll cripple the enemy. Aim for the eyes, and their PE goes down as well as their chance of hitting you. The arms, they'll drop their weapons. Legs, they can't move as fast (like, one or two tiles per turn). If you make a critical shot to the groin, they'll fall over and lie prone for a turn, giving you a 95% hit chance on the entire body (except maybe eyes, depending on your skill). If you nail them in the head, human enemies will get knocked unconscious, but creatures (such as radscorpions) just get mad. Burst mode, available on some weapon models, means you fire a bunch of ammo at once. Use it at close range and it will decimate enemies. Longer range means more bullets will miss and it's not as effective. Also, your NPCs can and will do this while you're close and kill you or your friends, so be wary of giving NPCs SMGs. Third mode is reload, pretty self-explanatory.

The buttons that control turn-based combat are on the right side of the interface. "Turn" ends your turn, and "CMBT" ends combat. Pretty simple, right? You can speed this up by using hotkeys, spacebar for Turn and Enter for combat.

There are a couple of different cursor modes you can cycle through by right-clicking. The red hexagon moves your character to that location. In combat, the number inside the red shape is how many AP you spend moving there. The crosshair is to attack enemies, and the number is your hit chance %. The arrow lets you interact with things and people, and if you click on something and hold the button and then move your mouse, you get additional options. The Pip-Boy icon lets you use skills, like Steal or Repair. The bag lets you use an inventory item on or with the selected item. I think there's an eye icon to examine the person or thing. There might be one or two more that are self-explanatory. In Fallout 2, there's a hand icon when you're next to an NPC to push them out of the way. Additionally, if you get stuck by a non-moving member of your party in Fallout 1, try talking to them about changing tactics and then change the follow distance to close and move around a little.

After you get an NPC, you're going to want to manage their inventory, changing weapons and giving them ammo. This is easy in Fallout 2, but not in Fallout 1. To put stuff in, just barter with them, but to take stuff out you have to steal it. Don't worry about your steal skill, they won't catch you no matter how bad you are at it and there's no other way to get equipment out. You can also plant stuff on them from this screen, but it's not as good as barter because I don't think they take weight into consideration when you barter things to them. Some of these problems might be addressed by the Fallout companion mod, but I haven't used it so I can't comment.

There are two little red buttons on your interface. One of them opens the Skilldex, where you can use your various skills like sneak, first aid, doctor, etc., and the other one is less obvious. This switches between your active hands. There are two places in your inventory where you can equip items, your left and your right hand. Put a weapon in one and a tool or something harmless in the other, and when someone asks you to holster your weapon (in town, for example), just hit that little red button and nobody's angry anymore. What's useful about this feature is that you can use it in battle without using AP, so if you want to use a sniper rifle for long range and a shotgun for close range, just put them in different hands and switch back and forth as needed.

Every action in battle per turn takes a certain number of Action Points (referenced above). Moving, firing, accessing your inventory, only so much can be done per turn, and this is determined by your AP. Certain perks and traits can change the amount used, but the number you start with is determined by your AGI. The number of action points remaining in your turn is denoted by the green lights above your weapon button. Ten lights, ten AP left. Note that it is possible to go over 10 AP, the lights just won't decrease until you're under 10.

If you find yourself stuck somewhere and everything is closed, it's dark and you just need time to pass, hit Z. It'll bring up your alarm clock and you can rest for however long you want.

That's all I can think of. If anybody has any more questions I'll answer them and put them in here for future reference. Hope it helps.

Fallout Patches

Even though a lot of us might not like the NMA guys, they know their Fallout mods and their patches fix bugs and things that should have been in the game in the first place. Some people like their games buggy, I like my game fixed. If you prefer the classic experience, you can skip these. I recommend it, personally.
  1. Fallout Children Patch (for GOG users / 1.2 European version)
  2. Fallout 1.2 Patch (optional if you have GOG, I think)
  3. Fallout 1.3.4 Patch
  4. Fallout Resolution Patch
  5. Fallout companion patch
  6. Fallout engine tweaks

Here's all of the mods in a single, easy pack: Fallout Patches Download *Note, this pack doesn't include the children patch. Installing all of these together shouldn't cause issues, but if you have some, I'll investigate a fix and put a warning in here.

Fallout 2 list:
  1. Children Patch (1.2/GOG versions)
  2. Unofficial Patch w/Installer
  3. Resolution Patch
  4. Fallout 2 Restoration Project (with installer)

Fallout 3: The New Fallout. Same great Fallout taste, brand new formula!

So, wait, what is Fallout 3?
Okay, you've obviously been living under a rock for the past couple of years.

Fallout 3 is a post-apocalyptic hybrid of a turn-based RPG and an FPS. Your character grows up in one of the last unopened Vaults - which are basically big underground self-sustaining fallout shelters - living peacefully with your father. One day, he up and leaves the Vault (which is unheard-of, as nobody leaves the Vault, ever, period). Forced out by the maniacal Overseer, who is convinced that both you and your father want to destroy the Vault's stability, you get thrust into the harsh, unforgiving reality of the Capital Wasteland. This is basically the area in and around Washington, D.C. (which is not the same place as Washington state, the latter being on the west coast and the former being on the east coast, for you eurotrash out there reading this) and includes some real-life places such as Olney, Bethesda, Maryland, Fairfax, VA, Falls Church, etc, etc. Of course, the scale has been compressed and the landscape is unrecognizable, but it's still neat seeing all these places in-game that you can also see on a map.

I'll let wiki handle the basics of gameplay and whatnot.
Gameplay

The game features both first-person and third-person perspectives and the player can change to either perspective during gameplay. Main character creation occurs as the player experiences the character's childhood. As a child in the Vault, the character receives a book titled "You're SPECIAL," whereupon the player can set the character's seven primary aptitudes. The character receives weapons training and a PIP-Boy 3000 later on during childhood, and the player's performance in various tests determines the rest of the attributes. Additionally, several quests inside the Vault influence the player character's relationship with his or her father. Skills and Perks are similar to those in previous games: the player chooses three Tag Skills out of a total of 14 to be the character's specialties. The maximum level the player can achieve is level 20. The Traits from the previous Fallout installments, slightly modified, were combined with Perks in Fallout 3, and the player can choose a new Perk each time after gaining a level.
An example of VATS in action

The Vault-Tec Assisted Targeting System, or VATS, play an important part in the fighting phases of the game. While using VATS, real-time combat is paused creating a combat system that the Bethesda developers have described as a hybrid between turn-based and real-time combat. Various actions cost action points, limiting the actions of each combatant during a turn, and both the player and enemies can target specific body areas for attacks to inflict specific injuries. The game features a new health and radiation system as well. The player can measure an object's radioactivity and gauge the effect it will have on the character.

Another game mechanic is that firearms wear out over time: as a weapon degenerates, its rate of fire slows and it loses accuracy. However, worn out firearms can be used to repair a similar weapon, or to make more reliable and powerful weapons. Weapon schematics can also be found and used to create various devices such as the Rock-it Launcher, created by combining a leaf blower and a wood chipper, that can fire various items such as lunchboxes and stuffed animals, or the Clever Shrapnel Bomb, made out of a Vault-Tec lunchbox and bottlecaps. Along with equipping various weapons, the player can also utilize different armors and clothing that may have effects that can alter various skills. For example, a pair of mechanic's coveralls may boost the player's repair skill while it is worn. Armor and clothing come in two main parts for the head and body, allowing a player to wear different combinations of hats and armor. Also, a player's inventory has a specified weight limit, preventing a player from carrying too many items. Some items like weapon ammo have no weight, due to the developer not wishing to bog down inventory management.

The player can have a maximum party of three, consisting of himself/herself, Dogmeat, and a single NPC. Dogmeat can be killed during the game if the player misuses him or places him in a severely dangerous situation and he cannot be replaced. It is possible to not encounter Dogmeat depending on how the game is played. Only one NPC can travel with the player at any time, and in order to get another NPC to travel, the first one must be dismissed by the player.

The karma system is an important feature in the gameplay. The player's actions, including conversation and combat choices affect the player's status in the game world; a player who makes good choices will be received more positively by NPCs, and a player that makes bad choices will have the opposite reaction. Extremes of karma also have other effects: a high karma leads to the player being attacked by bounty hunters, and for random NPCs to give the player gifts in thanks of their service. Crimes can also be committed by a player, and whichever faction or group that is harmed by a crime will be fully aware of the player's action. Other factions that were not affected by the crime will not be aware of it, and since a town is usually its own faction, news of a crime committed in one town will not spread to another. Factions can range in size and boundaries, however, and may not be restricted to a single area. The game world itself is similar in size to that of Oblivion, which has a 16 square mile game world.
Hacking!
When you enter the Hacking minigame, you'll get a screen filled with words and random characters. The goal is to guess the correct word, and it plays out like a game of Mastermind. Pick a word, and the system will tell you how many letters in that word are in the same place as the target word. For instance, if you pick "Meaning" and the word is "Fucking" (for example), you would get 3/7 correct for the "ing" part. There are hidden character sets, delinated by {} <> () on a single line in that order, but there may be characters in between them like {$#$#&%}. Click on one of these when the whole sequence is highlighted and you'll get more password guesses or a dud will be removed from the screen. If you get down to one attempt left and there are no hidden character sequences, and you're not sure you can guess correctly, just cancel out with B and try again. You get a fresh puzzle, but you also get all your guesses back.

Holstering and the Pip-Boy Light!
To holster your weapon, hold down reload (X on 360, R on PC, [] on PS3). To turn on the light on your Pip-Boy 3000, hold down the Pip-Boy button (B on 360, Tab on PC, probably O on PS3).

Repairing Items
In order to repair an item and improve its CND, you need two things: a high enough repair skill to repair an item past its current CND, and another item to scavenge for parts. Say you have two 10mm pistols at 25%. Select one, hit Y (or Triangle for PS3, I guess. I don't know the PC button, it's probably in the manual). Then select the one you want to scavenge for parts, they'll get combined together and the CND will go up, more damage, etc.

Note that you don't need an exact item to use for parts. The unique versions of weapons can be upgraded with the regular version - the Lincoln's Repeater can be repaired with the Hunting Rifle, the A3-21 Plasma Rifle can be repaired with the regular plasma rifle, etc. If you have one of those special weapons, try repairing it and you might have the right piece to use for parts. There's always a cap to which you can repair something (determined by your repair skill), so if you have two 50% guns you might not be able to combine them together. The resulting CND would be higher than the CND you can repair to.

Hotkeys and You!
To set a hotkey for an item in your inventory, on PC press a number key and then click on the item. On console, hold down RB or R1 and hit a direction on your d-pad while the item is selected. Whoever told me you don't need to hold down RB, you're a dirty liar.

In-Game frequently asked questions

I want to explore the Wasteland, but I don't want to skip any of the story!
There are a couple of places you should avoid in general exploration if you move away from the story quest. I'll be vague, but just don't go to these places or talk to these people until you get to that point in the main quest.
*GNR Radio
*Dr. Li in Rivet City
*Vault 112
*Jefferson Memorial Rotunda - specifically, don't pick up the data tapes next to the big machine.

Housing
There is a very easy way to get a house early in the game. Just go to Megaton, and either defuse or detonate the bomb. You'll need an Explosives skill of at least 25 to interact with the bomb. If you're not skilled enough, just pop a Mentat. The Sheriff in Megaton will give you a key and a deed to a house there, or Burke will give you an apartment in Tenpenny Tower. If the Sheriff is dead, his son will give you the key and deed. If Burke is dead, there's no way to get a reward for blowing up Megaton. The game tells you this with a pop-up dialog box.
Where the Fuck is the Family?!
Go to the metro station that Evan sends you to. Talk to the ghoul, and he tells you they're somewhere east, or you can take the tunnel to get farther into their compound. If you go overland, you can save a hostage and fight some super mutants near a burned-out church. If you go underground, there are two Mirelurks (crab people) waiting for you. I prefer the Mirelurks, as you can just drop a bottlecap mine in front of each one and they go down in one hit. There are a couple sitting around in the Super-Duper Mart. After you get through the underground tunnels, you'll come up in another part of the subway. This place is FULL of traps, proximity mines and pressure plates and tripwires galore. Take it slow, save before you attempt it, and you'll be OK. Just pay attention.
Where's Dogmeat?
He's in the Scrapyard. If you want to find it yourself, without resoting to the map:
First, talk to one of the caravans that passes through Megaton, and get them to talk about the Canterbury Commons. Head up to the Meresti train station, directly east of the Metro station with the ghouls that want Sugar Bombs, and put your marker on Canterbury Commons. Go there in a straight line, and you'll stumble across the Scrapyard.

Otherwise, you can just look at the big Fallout map at the bottom of the post.

Dogmeat is here, defending himself against three raiders. Kill them and he's yours.
How do I get into Rivet City? There's no bridge!

Okay, this isn't so frequently asked and it's not a spoiler, but I had trouble with it the first time I went. Climb up that building with the stairs on it that appear to lead nowhere, and at the top (next to the poor guy who needs water) there's an intercom. Click it, and Harkness will send the bridge over for you.

How do I get into the broken-off bow in Rivet City?
There's an entrance underwater to the left of that locked door. Go through it, through a couple more underwater rooms, and you should come up into air. Don't forget to hit the switch to unlock the door, and go see Pinkerton. WARNING: He does not want to be found. His place is booby-trapped to hell and back. Move slow and pay attention.
List of Bobbleheads, via Vault wiki
SPECIAL - increases each stat by one
* Strength - Megaton - Lucas Simms' House. On desk in the second most bedroom on the second floor.
* Perception - Republic of Dave - Museum of Dave
* Endurance - Deathclaw Sanctuary - Deathclaw Sanctuary Entrance
* Charisma - Vault 108 - Cloning Lab
* Intelligence - Rivet City - Science Lab. On one of the desks in the center of the lab.
* Agility - Greener Pastures Disposal - Office
* Luck - Arlington Cemetery North - Arlington House

Skills

will increase skill stat by 10 points.

* Barter - Evergreen Mills - Market Bazaar - In a dark cave-nook, in the corner of the room to the right of Smiling Jack (trader). Jump over the work bench, it's on the right-most shelves.
* Big Guns - Fort Constantine - CO Quarters
* Energy Weapons - Raven Rock - Sector 2B
* Explosives - WKML Broadcast Station - Sealed Cistern
* Lockpick - Bethesda Ruins - Bethesda Offices East on a desk with an active lamp.
* Medicine - Vault 101 - Dad's desk. It can be obtained before you take your G.O.A.T., during your escape from the vault or during your brief (optional) return to Vault 101.
* Melee Weapons - Dunwich Building - Virulent Underchamber
* Repair - Arefu - Evan King's House
* Science - Vault 106 - Living Quarters
* Small Guns - National Guard Depot - National Guard Armory: sitting on a shelf in the sealed storage room in the basement.
* Sneak - Yao Guai Tunnels - Yao Guai Den
* Speech - Paradise Falls - Eulogy's pad
* Unarmed - Rockopolis

Unique Weapons
These are better versions of weapons you find in the Wasteland
These are only the ones I know. I'd love to hear where some more are.
*(Unique weapon name) - (normal version, can be repaired with these) - (location)
*Lincoln's Repeater - Hunting Rifle - Museum of History, bottom floor, near the poster of the Lincoln Memorial and the Glowing One. *note: uses .44 ammo
*A3-21 Plasma Rifle - Plasma Rifle - finishing The Replicated Man without turning the android in
*Reservist's Rifle - Sniper Rifle - Dickerson Tabernacle Chapel. Talk to Karen Schenzy in Arefu after saving them, or check the map. He's hiding in the rafters, be careful.
*Silenced 10mm Pistol - 10mm Pistol - Burke's got one, and there are probably a couple more around. Looking for info on this one.
(Thanks WalrusPete)
*Wazer Wifle - Laser rifle - Little Lamplight, 500 caps or free with Child At Heart
*Experimental MIRV - Fat Man - National Guard depot armory
*Ol' Painless - hunting rifle - Dave's safe at the Republic of Dave
*Alien blaster - Laser pistol? - crashed UFO somewhere north of minefield
*Fisto! - Power Fist - ?
*The Kneecapper - Sawed-off Shotgun - Ronald Laren in Girdershade (perhaps the reward for the optional portion of The Nuka-Cola Challenge?)
*Plunkett's Valid Points - Spiked Knuckles - on a named raider/merc/whatever at the Arlington Cemetery (same house as a bobblehead)

More comprehensive, less detailed list by Raiden333 via the strat guide:
1. "Stabhappy" Combat Knife: Random encounter with raiders
2. "Firelance" Alien Blaster: Random encounter, UFO crash
3. "Vengeance" Gatling Laser: Deatchclaw Sanctuary
4. "Jack" Ripper: Deathclaw Sanctuary
5. "Reservist's Rifle" Sniper Rifle: Dickerson Tabernacle Chamber
6. "Board of Education" nailboard: Clifftop Shacks
7. Mesmetron: Paradise Falls
8. "The Break" Pool Cue: Paradise Falls
9. "Fisto!" Power Fist: MDPL-13 Power Station
10. "Ol' Painless" Hunting Rifle: Republic of Dave
11. Fawkes' Super Sledge: Vault 87
12. "Wazer Wifle" Laser Rifle: Little Lamplight
13. "Occam's Razor" Combat Knife: Fort Bannister
14. "Victory Rifle" Sniper Rifle: Abandoned Shack (north of Rockbreaker's gas station)
15. "Vampire's Edge" Chinese Sword: Merseti Trainyard
16. "Blawkhawk" Scoped .44 Magnum: Agatha's House
17. "Xaunlong" Assult Rifle: Jury St. Metro Station
18. "Ant's Sting" Knife: Antagonizer's Lair
19. "Highwayman's Friend" Tire Iron: Canterbury Commons
20. "Protectron's Gaze" Laser Pistol: Canterbury Commons
21. "Experimental MIRV" Fat Man: National Guard Depot
22. The Terrible Shotgun: Evergreen Mills
23. "The Kneecapper" Sawed Off Shotgun: Girdershade
24. "Butche's Toothpick" Switchblade: Vault 101
25. "Miss Launcher" Missle Launcher: Fort Independence
26. "The Tenderizer" Sledgehammer: Anchorage Memorial
27. "Smuggler's End" Laser Pistol: The Citadel
28. Colonel Autumn's 10mm Pistol: Jefferson Memorial (What's the point of including this weapon?)
29. A3-21's Plasma Rifle: Rivet City
30. Lincoln's Repeater: Museum of History
31. Sidney's 10mm "Ultra" SMG: National Archives
32. "Eugene" Minigun: Reilly's Rangers Compound
33. "Zhu-Rong v418" Chinese Pistol: LOB Enterprises
34. "Burnmaster" Flamer: Franklin Metro Utility
35. "The Shocker" Power Fist: Flooded Metro

Huge gigantic awesome map with lots and lots of locations - if not all of them - filled in. Spoilers, obviously, for people who like to explore on their own.
http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/fallout/images//d/d6/Wastelandmap.png

Here's another map that's a little different, but probably just as good. Shows bobbleheads, too.

http://crasheras.awardspace.com/fo3m.swf

Complete list of schematic locations - it's a little messy, I might post it in here and clean it up a little later.
http://www.madnesswithoutmethod.com/2008/11/fallout-3-weapon-schematics-guide-info-locations-map/

A list of stuff you'll need throughout the course of the game - if you see any of these, pick them up and save them for later. If I missed anything, feel free to PM me.
Shishkebab
Lawnmower blade
Motorcycle gas tank
Motorcycle handbrake
Pilot light

Railway Rifle

Fission Battery
Steam Gauge Assembly
Pressure Cooker
Crutch

Deathclaw Gauntlet
Wonderglue
Medical Brace
Deathclaw Hand
Leather Belt

Dart Gun
Paint Gun
Toy Car
Surgical Tubing
Radscorpion Poison Gland

Rock-It Launcher
Vacuum Cleaner
Leaf Blower
Firehose Nozzle
Conductor

Bottlecap Mine
Sensor Module
Lunchbox
Cherry Bomb
Bottlecapx10

Nuka Grenade
Nuka-Cola Quantum
Turpentine
Tin Can
Abraxo Cleaner

Pre-War Books
Nuka-Cola Quantum
Scrap Metal
Brotherhood of Steel Holotags
Lincoln-related stuff
Chinese Assault Rifle
Sensor Units
Power Armor
Energy Weapons
Sugar Bombs

Zen recommends PC mods!
Couscous wrote: »
What are some mods that are out?
Balance mods.

Want me to drum up some of the ones I use?

Sure.
http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=547 VATS Normal Weapon Degradation
Normally in VATS your weapon degrades four times faster than normal. That's kinda dumb.

http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=161 VATS MCE
"VATS Manual Chance Evaluation is a slight revision of the standard VATS accuracy formula which will put a much greater emphasis on your weapon skill and the base accuracy of your chosen weapon rather than simply the distance to your target.
As a small bonus it will lower the VATS zoom factor and remove the nonsensical wear VATS used to apply to your weapon."

It basically allows you to use your Sniper Rifle in VATS as a fucking sniper rifle.

IF YOU WANT THE GAME TO BE HARDER
http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=79 Made by our own Mumblyfish, STRANGER Mod

I don't think it's compatible with MCE, so don't use them together.

http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=311 "Smurf" Impact Physics Mod

Allows you to alter people flying around like ragdolls. I preferred the "real" setting.

http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=138 Falling Damage Mod

Now you don't die by falling a story!

http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=432 Hundred Fists
Because completely unarmed taking more AP than having spiked knuckles on is dumb.

http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=43 MTUI
A much better and cleaner and bigger interface.

I also have some texture/armor mod things, but my 64-bit processor seems to dick with them.
I'll update this with other questions I see getting asked a whole lot, at least the ones I know the answers to. ;)

freakish light on

• Commissar DemosthenesCommissar Demosthenes Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So, I'm going to start over. I'm thinking of going Unarmed. Y/N?

Commissar Demosthenes on
    Steam name: Chicago Ted.
    96cce.png
    oh god I am not good at battlefield
  • freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    There's just so much stuff at range that will kill you if you can't fight back that I don't think it's viable. Unless you also take Stealth, and only move around at night, then maybe you can pull it off.

ed: you could pair it with Explosives and it might work.

freakish light on
  • CarcharodontosaurusCarcharodontosaurus Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I'm doing just fine in an Unarmed run. By using Nerd Rage!, Toughness, and Cyborg, almost any armour I put on gives me 85% damage resistance. Combined with 10 Strength, 10 Endurance, 10 Agility, and 10 Luck, I don't have much of an issue killing stuff. Yes, it does mean a lot of food usage (to add to the challenge I'm not using stimpacks) but after a point you do obscene amounts of damage once you get in range.

Sneak is definitely mandatory, but it's a generally useful skill. If you want to brutalise enemies with the power fist or deathclaw gauntlet, then it's definitely possible to do so.

Carcharodontosaurus on
    steam_sig.png
  • freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Yeah, I think DR only goes up to 85% so if you've got that much base, you can wear any armor you want because it won't make a difference.

That's pretty cool.

freakish light on
    edited November 2008
    Yeah, I think DR only goes up to 85% so if you've got that much base, you can wear any armor you want because it won't make a difference.

That's pretty cool.

With Nerd Rage!, there's also the constant beating of your heart due to the low health you need to have it active. I constantly feel like I'm about to die, until I realise that combat shotguns barely scratch me. It's just that my health is always that low. :lol:

Carcharodontosaurus on
    steam_sig.png
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Unarmed can be difficult at the start of the game, but it becomes really easy once you get certain perks and some decent stuff. Like most ways of playing in this game.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • CobellCobell Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    In the northwest part of the map, I found a
    place with some friendly smallish ants. Invader ants then attacked. What the hell is up with that?
    Did you save the friendly ants from them Couscous?
    Yes. They were green, invaders red. Green good. Red bad.
    After you kill an invader, search their body. It tells you they're from another more agressive ant colony. From there you can inject a stimpack into the friendly ants eggs to make them more hardy. Also the invading ant colony is nearby, just a little north of the friendly any colony. You can go in there and kill them off to give the friendly ant colony a better chance at survival. Though you obviously never find out about that since the ending fort he game doesn't follow the other Fallout conclusion style.

Cobell on
  • LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I have to agree with unarmed/explosives but i would suggest looking into melee/explosives instead so you can get the ninja perk at lvl 20 without spending 80 points in a skill you dont use. Plus if you use the shishkebab you can grab the pyromaniac perk and do more damage than any melee weapon could. On top of that if you really want you can take the little leaguer perk and gain bonuses to both skills.

At least thats what i was planning for my next playthough.

Also, YOU HAVE A SWORD THAT IS ON FIRE.

Lasbrook on
  • DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Unarmed can be difficult at the start of the game, but it becomes really easy once you get certain perks and some decent stuff. Like most ways of playing in this game.

There's a noticeable difference in your killing potential once you grab Iron Fist x3. I prefer fisticuffs to melee because of this, even though melee requires fewer perks to be effective.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • CobellCobell Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Dubh wrote: »

There's a noticeable difference in your killing potential once you grab Iron Fist x3. I prefer fisticuffs to melee because of this, even though melee requires fewer perks to be effective.

Does iron fist apply to strictly unarmed attacks (no unarmed weapons) or any unarmed attacks?

Also, does anyone know if you can check you strictly unarmed damage? Weapons have that base damage amount, is there a similar thing for bare handed attacks? I did a quick search through my pip boy with no luck. I assume unarmed weapons don't add on top of the base bare handed attacks.

Cobell on
  • AeonfellAeonfell Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Lasbrook wrote: »
    I have to agree with unarmed/explosives but i would suggest looking into melee/explosives instead so you can get the ninja perk at lvl 20 without spending 80 points in a skill you dont use. Plus if you use the shishkebab you can grab the pyromaniac perk and do more damage than any melee weapon could. On top of that if you really want you can take the little leaguer perk and gain bonuses to both skills.

I did this exactly, it's great, and you look awesome... but I always find myself wanting more enemies.

Grenades in VATS are definitely OP... and also glorious to watch.

Aeonfell on
  • BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Aeonfell wrote: »
    Lasbrook wrote: »

I did this exactly, it's great, and you look awesome... but I always find myself wanting more enemies.

Grenades in VATS are definitely OP... and also glorious to watch.

I'm doing this + Big Guns on my current character. The flamer is so fucking awesome. Nothing is better for massacring raiders.

Except maybe the FLAMING SWORD. Pyromaniac is overpowered.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Cobell wrote: »
    Dubh wrote: »

Does iron fist apply to strictly unarmed attacks (no unarmed weapons) or any unarmed attacks?

Also, does anyone know if you can check you strictly unarmed damage? Weapons have that base damage amount, is there a similar thing for bare handed attacks? I did a quick search through my pip boy with no luck. I assume unarmed weapons don't add on top of the base bare handed attacks.

All unarmed attacks. It's a beautiful thing.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I was thinking of doing a melee/unarmed run. Would it be better to focus on one or the other? Or should I focus on both?

The Chinese Officer's sword seems like it could be a cool weapon to use, since it sorta kinda looks like a katana, but it's damage output seems kind of low.

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
    edited November 2008
    PunkBoy wrote: »
    I was thinking of doing a melee/unarmed run. Would it be better to focus on one or the other? Or should I focus on both?

The Chinese Officer's sword seems like it could be a cool weapon to use, since it sorta kinda looks like a katana, but it's damage output seems kind of low.

You can get a unique one from Vance of the Family. He doesn't actually have it on him (he uses a shishkabob) but he is carrying a key to his sword cabinet, which you can pickpocket. It's called the Vampire's Edge, and it's perfect for killing random things you come across as you're traveling.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Hm, that's definitely a possibility. If I'm going melee, what should I tag? Obviously melee, and sneak sounds like it would be necessary. Dunno what my third one should be.

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
    edited November 2008
    Hm, that's definitely a possibility. If I'm going melee, what should I tag? Obviously melee, and sneak sounds like it would be necessary. Dunno what my third one should be.

Not sneak. You'll never be able to get close enough to anyone to get a sneak attack, better to go for medicine instead. You're going to get hurt a lot.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The sledgehammer in vats feels so great. I caught a feral ghoul with it right in the elbow on an upswing and obliterated the whole arm. And swatting dogs and rats away as they lunge never gets old.

-SPI- on
  • NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    power armour looks badical

but i think something might be wrong with my minigun

did i get the one that fires out potato shards instead of 5mm rounds at 400rpm

Nuzak on
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Nuzak wrote: »

Sounds like a job for mods!

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • UltimanecatUltimanecat Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I've decided that in my second playthrough, I may still focus on small guns, but really drive the survival aspect. No fast-travel, only eating and drinking for health, no stimpacks or radaway, and forcing myself to sleep for one hour for every 10 hitpoints (a bit arbitrary, but hey it'll keep me from avoiding daylight like I currently do).I find all of these neat places to basically camp out in this game, but no reason to really do anything with them - why sleep out in the wastes when I can just go back to my house?

My dream mod would do this stuff and maybe throw in random attacks while sleeping in unsecure areas. Basically make the game a bit like Stalker with the Oblivion Lost mod. As it stands, since I have the 360 version I'll just have to pretend I've modded it.

Ultimanecat on
    SteamID : same as my PA forum name
    edited November 2008
    Behemoth wrote: »

Not sneak. You'll never be able to get close enough to anyone to get a sneak attack, better to go for medicine instead. You're going to get hurt a lot.

o_O

Me and Fisto! regularly sneak up on enemies. Sure, the sneaking is generally done indoors or in a ruined urban landscape, but that covers a large amount of the combat you'll be doing.

Carcharodontosaurus on
    steam_sig.png
  • D00MD00M Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So I followed Mr Crowley on his epic journey from the Underworld across the wastelands.

He took on Super Mutants, The Enclave, Yao Guai, Raiders and Mole Rats, However he fell in battle against a Giant Radscorpion just on the borders of his final destination.
    I just had to carry his quest on in his honour.

RIP Mr Crowley.
    You provided 40 mins of entertainment, while I just stood back and watched :)

D00M on
    D00M66.png
  • OceansizeOceansize Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    so either im very dumb or my game has glitched....16 hours in, for a few hours now been unable to find 556mm ammo for the assualt rifle, from any vendor or dispatched fiend.

now im coming across more chaps carrying them, once disposed of and searched they are carrying assualt rifles and 5.56mm ammo which doesnt fit the guns i have!? am i going crazy? still relying on my trusting good nick hunting rifle for distance and a combat shotgun up close...

Oceansize on
  • StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    That's weird. Both assault rifles should use 5.56. Do you have any mods installed?

Strikor on
  • OceansizeOceansize Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    nope, running 360 version here, i thought something might be up as all i ever find is 5.56mm ammo when my gun takes 556mm...what a curious bug, if it is one!

Oceansize on
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So I was doing the quest with the whore where
    You have to take her back to Rivet City. I didn't know it was time based so when I found out I quickly reloaded a previous save and dashed across the entire wasteland because I didn't have any waypoints to Rivet City running and gunning the entire way. I didn't even stop when Jesus appeared. Anyway right at the final exit tunnels to get to Rivet City a band of mercenaries ambushed me at the exit of the subway. I killed them and then turned to the girl to say ok we are here only to see that she was gone. She was nowhere to be found. So could she have just seen the city in sight and ran to it while I was fighting or did the game either glitch out on me and lose here between getting to the subway exit and loading the outside, or did I just run out of time and the game didn't even bother to tell me? I'm so pissed because I was THERE!!!

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • DomhnallDomhnall Minty D. Vision! ScotlandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008

The Minigun, much like the Ripper, tickles people to death whenever you use it. I like to give it to my companion so they can give me a kind of cover fire (even though it doesn't really exist).

Domhnall on
    Xbox Live - Minty D Vision
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    Origin/BF3 - MintyDVision
  • Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Domhnall wrote: »

The Minigun, much like the Ripper, tickles people to death whenever you use it. I like to give it to my companion so they can give me a kind of cover fire (even though it doesn't really exist).

Yeah, for some reason both weapons tend to deal damage much more slowly than they should. When it takes time to kill a radroach with a ripper, something is up.

Mortal Sky on
    edited November 2008
    Domhnall wrote: »

If you're using big guns, use the flamer or the missile launcher. And for melee, the shishkabob or super sledge. It kinda sucks that the minigun is so weak, but I'm glad because it's one less thing to worry about when fighting super mutants. Their occasional missile launchers are bad enough.

The ripper is just used all wrong. You're not supposed to use it like a chainsaw! YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO USE IT LIKE A SWORD WHICH JUST HAPPENS TO ALSO BE A CHAINSAW!

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    You have to take her back to Rivet City. I didn't know it was time based so when I found out I quickly reloaded a previous save and dashed across the entire wasteland because I didn't have any waypoints to Rivet City running and gunning the entire way. I didn't even stop when Jesus appeared. Anyway right at the final exit tunnels to get to Rivet City a band of mercenaries ambushed me at the exit of the subway. I killed them and then turned to the girl to say ok we are here only to see that she was gone. She was nowhere to be found. So could she have just seen the city in sight and ran to it while I was fighting or did the game either glitch out on me and lose here between getting to the subway exit and loading the outside, or did I just run out of time and the game didn't even bother to tell me? I'm so pissed because I was THERE!!!

Uhm
    You can fast travel

Meiz on
  • EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So I think I might start anew. Previously I ended up maxing Speech, Unarmed, and Energy Weapons, and focused on my mental stats. This time I think I'll tag some utility skills and repair/lockpick my way into the Wasteland's history books.

Oh, and I'll be evil while I do it. And I'll ignore the goddamn XP perks so I don't max out too soon.

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    On minigunning: Eugene rocks the box. That is all.

Mortal Sky on
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Meiz wrote: »

Uhm
    You can fast travel

Second sentence. "...because I didn't have any waypoints to Rivet City..."

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    Meiz wrote: »

Uhm
    You can fast travel

Second sentence. "...because I didn't have any waypoints to Rivet City..."

What really sucks on this mission:
    If you convince her to leave, then tell her you don't want to take her this very moment, you can never get to that conversation path again.
    I ended up killing everyone in that place in rage.

Morkath on
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Real men rip apart Deathclaws with their bare hands.

Also: why the hell do you swing your fist faster(less ap) with spiked knuckles on than with your bare bits?

Zen Vulgarity on
  • FaffelFaffel Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I got bored and stopped playing after I stumbled across Rivet City 9 hours in. Maybe I'll start playing again.

Faffel on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    If I get bored when I play I quicksave and immediately kill everyone in the general area due to the lack of combat.

Then, reload.

I, uh.

Accidently quicksaved again with one guy after I killed all of Tenpenny tower.

He became my evil guy, to say the least.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    My Evil guy was Butcher Pete, a crazed hobo that solved his problems with his fist!

SkutSkut on
  • stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Too bad you can't craft light sources. I'd like to make portable torches out of glowing ones' heads.

stigweard on
This discussion has been closed.