As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

ROCK BAND 2: Use the new thread

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2008
    I found the piece I was missing! Finally got to play some of the free bonus songs. Some were good, some were crap.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Maybe I'm out of the loop, but i can't figure out how I'm supposed to do voice chat online. Can anyone help out?

What headset are you using?

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Recoil42 wrote: »
    [yooooootube]

holy shit.
    (maybe better served for the ghwt thread, but i'm too lazy to find it, and i'm sure it'll be just as appreciated here)

Thats pretty cool even though it appears to be a bit too high quality for a bunch of kids.

Still neat.

quovadis13 on
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2008
    That's not that hard to do.

do first run with LEDs blinking

watch video, place pieces of paper accordingly

use trick transitions to make it look like the biker is going a long distance when he really isn't

FyreWulff on
  • AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So I bought the PS3 version.

Now I just need to get a PS3.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Arikado wrote: »
    Maybe I'm out of the loop, but i can't figure out how I'm supposed to do voice chat online. Can anyone help out?

I was just trying to use the standard 360 headset, and my friend had no luck with the wireless headset either.

NickTheNewbie on
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    FyreWulff wrote: »

use trick transitions to make it look like the biker is going a long distance when he really isn't

This post pretty much encapsulates the internet entirely.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • ErandusErandus Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    FyreWulff wrote: »

This post pretty much encapsulates the internet entirely.

I'm convinced FyreWulff's post is a distillation of all the comments on the youtube page.

Video was cool, don't care how it was done.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2008
    well actually it was a guess

I'm just saying it wasn't hard to do, just depended on how much time they've had to put into it.

The LEDs were probably the easiest part, since all they had to do was rip the midi from the game.

FyreWulff on
    edited November 2008
    Lets just all sit back and appreciate the creativity, and not worry too much about the execution.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2008
    Erandus wrote: »
    Lets just all sit back and appreciate the creativity, and not worry too much about the execution.

Well, I'd too aswell, but you are posting on a forum full of nerds, who will call out a uniform being stitched wrong on Star Trek.

FyreWulff on
  • RCagentRCagent Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I don't think those are paper pasted notes. Those look to be edited into the video (you can see them magically fade in from the darkness). The bike too is edited over the footage (he goes through the first star power "activation" without any trouble? Those strings and paper would've atleast made him flinch or cause the bike to hiccup somewhat.

But yeah, even though all of that is edited on, the fact that these are edited on and take LIGHTING into account is awesome.

RCagent on
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The only thing I could think of this morning when trying out NXE and making an avatar was, "I wish we could just use the Rock Band 2 character maker." :(

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • APZonerunnerAPZonerunner Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Wow, I got some free (review) Guitar Hero drums this week. I finally got around to playing them today, in both GH:WT and Rock Band (1). They may look sturdier and be a nicer shape, but I totally don't like them. Want RB2 drums with cymbal addon :(

APZonerunner on
    APZonerunner | RPG Site | UFFSite | The Gaming Vault
    XBL/PSN/Steam: APZonerunner
    edited November 2008

I was just trying to use the standard 360 headset, and my friend had no luck with the wireless headset either.

Bueller? Anyone?

NickTheNewbie on
    edited November 2008
    So the cheapo $15 wired headset?
    It should be able to connect into the instruments accordingly and then turn it on and talk.

If you're on vocals, it works differently. Headset works all the time up until a song starts at which you need to press one of the shoulder buttons to talk during a song. The microphone works on its own (even with the headset on, the 360 prefers the microphone) staying open all the time except during songs at which you do the shoulder button thing to push-to-talk.

Arikado on
  • FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Ok, has anyone installed the new dashboard and installed RB2 to the HDD? Curious how it affects loading times, and I'm not getting home for at least 7 hours.

Fawst on
    edited November 2008
    Retarded question alert:

How does one install this new dashboard?

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2008
    Retarded question alert:

How does one install this new dashboard?

Just ... turn the system on? When you sign in to Live you should get a prompt to upgrade. It essentially won't let you log in online unless you get the update, so don't worry about missing it. :) It's pretty slick.

For the interested, according to GAF, Rock Band 1 is 5.2 GB and RB2 is 6.3GB to install. Dunno if it helps with loading or not, but I already have 5-odd gigs of HD space set aside for Rock Band—I don't know if I want another 6 on top of that.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
    edited November 2008
    Erm.. I dont recall an upgrade happening or my dashboard looking different, I guess. This is some sort of forced update?

Does it still autoupdate if you load directly into a game?

Does it look significantly different?

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2008
    Yikes. I need to clean up my hard drive. Apparently I've got a LOT of junk on there I could do without. One of these days I'll have to get a 120gb drive. Time to delete those saved files for games I no longer own (I'm looking at you, Halo 3).

Fawst on
    edited November 2008
    Erm.. I dont recall an upgrade happening or my dashboard looking different, I guess. This is some sort of forced update?

Does it still autoupdate if you load directly into a game?

Does it look significantly different?

It's 100% different, but on majornelson.com it said they were slowly pushing the release out to people, not slamming everyone all at once. Maybe you just haven't been sent the request to update yet? Interesting, though.

Fawst on
    edited November 2008
    Yeah as far as I can tell, my dashboard doesnt look any different whatsoever.

GIS tells me the new dashboard looks like:

360_New_Dashboard2.jpg

Is this perhaps the case?

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2008
    Shady mentioned before in the thread (since he had the update early) that the RB2 loading times become only a few seconds to load each song after installing it to the HDD.

Arikado on
    edited November 2008
    Yeah as far as I can tell, my dashboard doesnt look any different whatsoever.

GIS tells me the new dashboard looks like:

360_New_Dashboard2.jpg

Is this perhaps the case?

You'll definitely notice when you get it; that's what it looks like, you're forced to reboot, accept new terms of service and such. Are you online now? Go back out to the dashboard, sign out and then go back in. Maybe it bypasses it if you boot straight into the game.

Lunker on
    edited November 2008
    I'm at work. I don't think they'd be impressed if I went and got my xbox.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2008
    I'm at work. I don't think they'd be impressed if I went and got my xbox.

Just tell your bosses it's a brand new user-interface, and you can make little Mii knockoffs! They'll totally understand!

Lunker on
    edited November 2008
    Maybe if I offer to let him drum...

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Antihippy wrote: »
    So I bought the PS3 version.

Now I just need to get a PS3.

I think you might have done that backwards.

Mr Pink on
    edited November 2008
    It should be able to connect into the instruments accordingly and then turn it on and talk.

If you're on vocals, it works differently. Headset works all the time up until a song starts at which you need to press one of the shoulder buttons to talk during a song. The microphone works on its own (even with the headset on, the 360 prefers the microphone) staying open all the time except during songs at which you do the shoulder button thing to push-to-talk.

Hmm, well i tried to plug it into that little 1/8 inch jack on the front of the drums and it just barely goes in, since the plug on the headset is all weird http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/8a/Xbox360_Wired_Headset.png/774px-Xbox360_Wired_Headset.png . So it doesn't go in all the way, it doesn't stay in, and I can't hear anything.

NickTheNewbie on
    edited November 2008
    Oh, then you need the adapter for the instruments. I think the earlier model headsets are incompatible with the instruments. The RB1 Special Edition came with a couple of them.

However, I haven't read anything about the new instruments have that issue.

Arikado on
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited November 2008

Hmm, well i tried to plug it into that little 1/8 inch jack on the front of the drums and it just barely goes in, since the plug on the headset is all weird http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/8a/Xbox360_Wired_Headset.png/774px-Xbox360_Wired_Headset.png . So it doesn't go in all the way, it doesn't stay in, and I can't hear anything.

When Arikado says 'accordingly', he means to use the included adapter if necessary.

Santa Claustrophobia on
    edited November 2008
    So it doesn't go in all the way, it doesn't stay in, and I can't hear anything.

That's what she said!

Are you using RB1 or RB2 instruments? The RB1 instruments came with a simple extender wire that let you plug the older headsets into the instruments. Oddly enough, my RB2 drumset didn't come with one of the adapters, so I suspect the same will be true for the RB2 guitars and band packs. :| You might have to run to Radio Shack and spend a few bucks.

Lunker on
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The adaptor should come with the drums. It definitely did with RB1. If not all you need is a tiny 2.5mm extension cable.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
    edited November 2008
    I got the rb2 bundle, and I did not see any extra adapter bundled in. I'll take a look again, but I guess if it's not there, then i'll need to buy the small extension cable. So guess is that it plugs into the 1/8 inch jack on the front of the drums and the side of the guitar? The jack on the side of the guitar can also be used for the bass pedal overdrive activation, right?

NickTheNewbie on
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The Rock Band 2 area of the marketplace is 'broken' in the NXE. It's a good thing that there isn't any real difference between RB and RB2, but it can still be annoying.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • MorganMorgan Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Maybe if I offer to let him drum...

Hey pal, thats MY drum set your talking about.... me thinks no, unless you wanna be hobbled when I get home.

Morgan on
    Erandus is a douchebag
    edited November 2008
    Oh goddamn it, there's a Rock Band 2 premium theme for the new 360 interface. Someone buy it and tell me it's terrible, otherwise I might be tempted to buy it. :(

Lunker on
  • Nimble CatNimble Cat Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Yeah. I was debating between that one and the Halo one. I sprung for the Halo one and can vouch for that one. I'm curious about the RB2 one though.

Nimble Cat on
    edited November 2008
    I'll buy it when I get home.

Arikado on