As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Good Online PC Vendors

MetallikatMetallikat Registered User regular
Looking to purchase a new PC (my recent Dell is a piece of Blue Screening garbage). Looking for an online vendor that's reliable and allows for a lot of customization in parts (preferrably with a good return policy as well, in the event it craps out)

Metallikat on

• Options
    exoplasmexoplasm Gainfully Employed Near Blizzard HQRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    newegg.com :D

exoplasm on
    1029386-1.png
    SC2 NA: exoplasm.519 | PA SC2 Mumble Server | My Website | My Stream
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Newegg, definitely. They're probably the best I've found and I imagine most people here will tell you the same.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Oh, I wasn't aware that Newegg built and shipped systems as well. I'll have to re-check their site.

Metallikat on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Oh, I didn't realize you meant a website that would have it built for you. Nevermind then, I don't know any site that does that.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    With the money you save on Newegg you could pay a bunch of nerds to do it and still have enough left over to pay a bunch of nerds to pick stocks for you and stuff.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    ncix

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Deusfaux wrote: »
    ncix
    The OP didn't say that he/she lives in Canada. Maybe NCIXUS are masters at hiding shit, but I'm not seeing the PC Builder option that I was able to easily find on the Canadian site.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Barrakketh wrote: »
    ncix
    The OP didn't say that he/she lives in Canada. Maybe NCIXUS are masters at hiding shit, but I'm not seeing the PC Builder option that I was able to easily find on the Canadian site.
    If you add this to your cart http://www.ncixus.com/products/7842/PC%2DASSEMBLY/NCIXPC/ they'll assemble whatever components you have in it.

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    With the money you save on Newegg you could pay a bunch of nerds to do it and still have enough left over to pay a bunch of nerds to pick stocks for you and stuff.

And probably a none-too-shabby blowjob.

Anyways, the point is building a computer requires two things:

1. The ability to read
    2. The ability to plug things in.

We can safely assume that you possess number 1.

I imagine you possess #2. Is there a reason you don't want to build? Just build.

Khavall on
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Barrakketh wrote: »
    ncix
    If you add this to your cart http://www.ncixus.com/products/7842/PC%2DASSEMBLY/NCIXPC/ they'll assemble whatever components you have in it.
    Huh. I figured it would've been available on the front page (I only did a text search since I didn't think it would be listed as a "product").

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    cliffskicliffski Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Pretty much all online PC sellers offer lots of customisation these days don't they?

cliffski on
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    cliffski wrote: »
    Pretty much all online PC sellers offer lots of customisation these days don't they?

yea, but usually it costs more, and especially in the area of graphics cards, your choices are usually "integrated graphics" "shitty graphics card 1" Shitty graphics card 2" or "slightly less shitty graphics card"

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Well, I save myself a lot of money in the Video Card department. I already possess a 9800 GX2. Just looking to customize everything else, and choose some sort of No Vid Card option so I can just slap my GX2 in when the PC arrives.

Metallikat on
  • Options
    FaceballMcDougalFaceballMcDougal Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    CDW is also good

the only brand they don't carry is Dell

FaceballMcDougal on
    xbl/psn/steam: jabbertrack
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Well, guess I'll be ordering that PC a bit earlier. Damn Dell won't even load into Windows now, just tries to auto-repair every time and fails. Meh. Shelved it and hooked up my older PC.
    Anyone have experience with places like cyberpowerpc or ibuypower? Don't wanna spend over 1 grand and get burned again.

Metallikat on
  • Options
    EliteLamerEliteLamer __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    Why don't you get a barebones kit from Negegg. The mobo, cpu and the wires are all hooked up. All you have to do is plug in harddrives and video card, ram.

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2008
    I know you said you are not liking Dell right now, but I purchased one of their Linux machines and installed my own copy of Windows on it to dual boot. Haven't had a single problem with it.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    The problem with buying anything more from Dell... is having to continue dealing with Dell. And what they laughably pass off as Tech Support. I got nothing but an endless runaround from them on my Bluescreen problems. The many Indian people I talked to were very polite, but ultimately seemed there only to give canned responses designed to have you running in circles.

Metallikat on
  • Options
    exoplasmexoplasm Gainfully Employed Near Blizzard HQRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Metallikat wrote: »
    The problem with buying anything more from Dell... is having to continue dealing with Dell. And what they laughably pass off as Tech Support. I got nothing but an endless runaround from them on my Bluescreen problems. The many Indian people I talked to were very polite, but ultimately seemed there only to give canned responses designed to have you running in circles.

If you buy a dell, buy it from the small and medium business side instead of home. That way you get tech support from people in the US who actually know what they are talking about.

exoplasm on
    1029386-1.png
    SC2 NA: exoplasm.519 | PA SC2 Mumble Server | My Website | My Stream
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I've decided to go with AVADirect. Pretty good reviews and decent pricing and customization. Here's hoping for the best.

Metallikat on
  • Options
    archonwarparchonwarp Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I still don't see the reason to not build it yourself. I know that you've already ordered it, but it's still weird to me. It's color/size coded to the point where it's almost impossible to screw up. Have you ever played with Lego blocks? It's about that easy.

archonwarp on
    873342-1.png
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2008
    I purchased mine because Dell started offering Linux machines and I wanted to reward that kind of behavior.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    variantvariant Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    exoplasm wrote: »
    Metallikat wrote: »

If you buy a dell, buy it from the small and medium business side instead of home. That way you get tech support from people in the US who actually know what they are talking about.

Not true, I bought mine through the small business department and the tech support is based in the Philippines.

variant on