As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX

d4rkmonkeyd4rkmonkey Registered User regular
edited January 2007 in PAX Archive
Hey, I'm relatively new to penny-arcade and I was just wondering if PAX is always in the US. I'm Canadian and I think it would be awesome for PAX to be in different countries.

d4rkmonkey on

• Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2007
    it has always been in the Seattle/Bellevue area of Washington State, so far. There have been rumors of an East Coast USA thing, but that is all they are so far - rumors. As far as an international showing, I wouldn't hold your breath. If they can't do multiple US shows in a year, then I doubt Canadian or overseas shows are high on their priority list. Sorry dude.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    xxhennersxxxxhennersxx Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    d4rkmonkey wrote:
    Hey, I'm relatively new to penny-arcade and I was just wondering if PAX is always in the US. I'm Canadian and I think it would be awesome for PAX to be in different countries.

the penny-arcade guys keep it in their hometown. It's just more awesome this way. It's easier for them to make arrangements and such. also nintendo and microsoft are located here...

You're in Canada. If it's near WA just take a road trip.

xxhennersxx on
  • Options
    panksea06panksea06 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Its always been kept in this area.

However this is its 4th year, so its not like that is too long standing tradition. But still a roadtrip down here if you are at all on the west side of the country would likely be very fun, maybe look around for the local supertrip if one exists.

panksea06 on
    How can they expect me to have a sig when I am too lame to upload an avatar after 2 ye- oh wait...
  • Options
    delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    You could always bring some Molson and the Maple Leaf and claim Washington for Ottowa. Then the convention WOULD be in Canada.

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • Options
    d4rkmonkeyd4rkmonkey Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    haha sounds like a great idea. BTW what kind of things do they have at PAX? (as I said, I'm realatively new to penny-arcade)

d4rkmonkey on
  • Options
    ctishmanctishman Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Well, it's sort of hard to describe. I mean, obviously there's the solemn worship sessions, but we interrupt those with joyous hymns each hour, and work hard scrubbing the convention center clean at the end of every day.

Oh, and then there's the Gabe & Tycho fursuits at night.

And the gay sex. Can't forget that.

Edit: Just so you're sure. Yes, the above is a dirty lie. There's drinking and debauchery, a caffeine-fuelled torrent of destruction and all-night gaming. There are raging parties and concerts. We run the local Subways out of bread every year, and have the honor of actually having run the Bellevue Dairy Queen entirely out of dairy in '05, resulting in its demolition in early '06 and subsequent replacement with an office building.

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
    Get the PAX 2008 Countdown widget and while away your sad, pathetic life watching it tick down the hours to PAX '08!
    http://homepage.mac.com/ctishman
  • Options
    CronusCronus Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    ctishman wrote:
    and have the honor of actually having run the Bellevue Dairy Queen entirely out of dairy in '05, resulting in its demolition in early '06 and subsequent replacement with an office building.

I'm still honored to be a part of that. I am saddened that that DQ is gone, as it was my Blizzard stop on the way home.

Also in response to the above posts PAX has moved about 10 miles west to Seattle. I'm going to miss being able to drive there without taking a highway. I know people hated me for my ability to run home between events if needed.

Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
    "Read twice, post once. It's almost like 'measure twice, cut once' only with reading." - MetaverseNomad
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    I feel bad for the people working at Gameworks...

D:

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    well, not only has it always been in the same area, it's always been in the same building, that is, until this year.

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    dyaballikl wrote:
    well, not only has it always been in the same area, it's always been in the same building, that is, until this year.

Well, it was supposed to be in Seattle last year...

Legacy on
  • Options
    dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Legacy wrote:
    dyaballikl wrote:

maybe if it were, people wouldn't have been turned away from so many events of it due to overfilling.

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited January 2007
    dyaballikl wrote:
    Legacy wrote:
    dyaballikl wrote:

maybe if it were, people wouldn't have been turned away from so many events of it due to overfilling.

PAX = HUGE.
    Today Penny Arcade revealed the first details of the fourth annual PAX, the largest one to date. Slated for August 24-26, the expo has outgrown its old venue and will be moved to the Washington State Trade and Convention Center in downtown Seattle, Washington. The extra room afforded by the move will make the 200,000 square feet of floor space at this year's PAX more than twice the size of last year's show. More space means more people, and the organizers are "conservatively" expecting 30,000 attendees at PAX 2007.

Meaning more like 40,000. Don't deny it.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Moe_Fwacky wrote:
    dyaballikl wrote:
    Legacy wrote:
    dyaballikl wrote:

PAX = HUGE.
    Today Penny Arcade revealed the first details of the fourth annual PAX, the largest one to date. Slated for August 24-26, the expo has outgrown its old venue and will be moved to the Washington State Trade and Convention Center in downtown Seattle, Washington. The extra room afforded by the move will make the 200,000 square feet of floor space at this year's PAX more than twice the size of last year's show. More space means more people, and the organizers are "conservatively" expecting 30,000 attendees at PAX 2007.

Meaning more like 40,000. Don't deny it.

I can't wait until 10 years from now, when we descend upon the unsuspecting town, nay, state, like a plague of horrible locusts with pale skin driven by caffeine, and devour it entirely leaving nothing but war-torn buildings in our wake.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    PAX seems to be just short of doubling every year in a Bizzaro version of moores law. Therefore in 10 years assuming PAX is 1.5 the size of last years PAX and last years attandence was 20k we will have over 1 million people in 2016. That is twice the poplulation of Seattle.

A few short years later we will be more than the state. and by 2070 we shall overwhelm the planet with over a thousand trillian nerds.

The Shadow Run Table top games that year are going to be soooo good.

panksea06 on
    How can they expect me to have a sig when I am too lame to upload an avatar after 2 ye- oh wait...
  • Options
    ctishmanctishman Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Dude, at that point we'll actually be LIVING in a Shadowrun game, making runs to retreive crates of Bawls.

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
    Get the PAX 2008 Countdown widget and while away your sad, pathetic life watching it tick down the hours to PAX '08!
    http://homepage.mac.com/ctishman
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    dyaballikl wrote:
    Legacy wrote:
    dyaballikl wrote:

When they inquired about it near the end of '05, they were already booked up full until March of '07, so it wasn't possible. Or else it would've been there...

At least, that's what I remember hearing.

Legacy on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Legacy wrote:
    dyaballikl wrote:
    Legacy wrote:
    dyaballikl wrote:

When they inquired about it near the end of '05, they were already booked up full until March of '07, so it wasn't possible. Or else it would've been there...

I heard the same but cant find a source to confirm that.

panksea06 on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    panksea06 wrote:
    Legacy wrote:
    dyaballikl wrote:
    Legacy wrote:
    dyaballikl wrote:

I heard the same but cant find a source to confirm that.

My source was Khoo.

Legacy on
  • Options
    TrillianTrillian Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    What will be at PAX?

Drinking
    Debauchery
    D&D
    Nerf Bouncy Castle

Anyone know if RMD is coming this year? Has he been shamed away from PA forever? God I hope so.

Trillian on

They cast a shadow like a sundial in the morning light. It was half past 10.
This discussion has been closed.