As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Dial Q for the Question! (about Comics Thread)

• The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    not nearly bold enough

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    question

who is the most badass?

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
    edited November 2008
    Nogs wrote: »
    question

who is the most badass?

Spawn

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    not nearly bold enough

There's not a lot of free reign in a build-a-superhero machine made for pre-teens, okay!

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
    edited November 2008
    Faynor wrote: »
    not nearly bold enough

There's not a lot of free reign in a build-a-superhero machine made for pre-teens, okay!

try harder

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited November 2008
    Keith wrote: »
    Nogs wrote: »
    question

who is the most badass?

Sho'nuff

nuh uh

it's Shaft

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    What about if I genuinely care about what happens to Ultimate Nick Fury. Is it worth reading then?

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
    edited November 2008
    Question: Are there any good Scarlet Witch stories that don't involve her fucking up reality/killing her team mates?

Faynor on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Faynor wrote: »
    Question: Are there any good Scarlet Witch stories that don't involve her fucking up reality/killing her team mates?

Isn't her power to fuck up reality?

Robos A Go Go on
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Virral wrote: »
    What about if I genuinely care about what happens to Ultimate Nick Fury. Is it worth reading then?

Yeah, probably. He's a main character in the book and looks to remain a driver of the story.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
    edited November 2008
    I suppose that's like asking if there are any Spider-Man stories where Spider-Man doesn't do whatever a Spider can (Which there are, I think!), but semi-good Scarlet Witch in Wolverine and the X-Men got me wondering if there were any good stories with her in it as I've only been really exposed to her through Disassembled and House of M, among other short things.

Faynor on
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2008
    she, like most x-characters, has always been primarily a team player.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • ScumdoggScumdogg Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Munch wrote: »
    Scumdogg wrote: »
    What's up with Lex Luthor II and his weird shapeshifting Supergirl? Are there trades that deal with their origins or would it be easier/less boring to just get like a short synopsis here?

Bibbo seems to pretty much be the best character related to Superman. Are there any good stories out there i could read that feature him heavily?

Jon Bogdanove is a terrible artist, even by 90's standards, and every time i got to one of his issues in the book i wanted to quit reading so bad. I don't think i've ever seen any character look as awful as his red-headed Lex renditions. Is that guy still working? And if so, why? Am i missing something as to how he got put on such an important (at the time) arc?

And finally: Does the DC Universe ever feel like as coherent a Universe as the Marvel one? It just seems like when you have a big Marvel event, there's random characters popping up all over the place.

Lex contracted cancer from prolonged exposure to kryptonite, cloned a body for himself, and stuck his brain in it, masquerading as his own son. The protoplasmic Supergirl is a long, terrible story. Here's the wiki.

The only good Bibbo story I can recall was one that was most likely included in the trades you purchased. It has Bibbo musing on why a shmuck like him gets to keep living, while a guy like Superman had to die.

Bogdanove is still working. Though not with the frequency he once did.

The DCU tends to be a little scattershot at times if taken as a whole, but for the most part things line up as they should. There are notable exceptions; right now Final Crisis is in full swing, and feels detached from the rest of the line, which won't feel the impacts of the event until a few months after it's over. The current line of Batman books is kind of a mess, with nothing between the two flagship titles Detective Comics and Batman syncing up. Hopefully it'll be better after Final Crisis, but I'm not holding my breath.

Thanks, Munch. I appreciate the answers, even if they do not fill me with hope and excitement for my plunge into the DCU.

I do have to admit, even with my reservations about DC's product as a whole, i saw the collected Doomsday trade at Books & Co and actually did really want to get it. It's on my christmas list now, so i guess they're doing something right. I just really want to like Superman.

And now for another question!

I am pretty set on the Marvel books i want to read right now. I have a giant list of essentials lined up and am steadily buying and reading through them. And i have a few new books i like now too (Ultimate Spider-Man, Astonishing X-Men)

But i need to know about some really good DC books. Mostly along the lines of the Showcase stuff. I don't like how they're just kind of random issues, but i imagine that's because they were basically just random one-shot stories for a really long time, and a lot of them were probably terrible.

The early Marvel books had a pretty reliable guiding voice in Stan Lee, i think, but i feel less confident just dropping money on any old DC Showcase. So what is some recommended reading? I'm open to any and all characters.

Scumdogg on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    If you want to read good Wanda Maximoff stories, she's pretty damn focal to the classic Kurt Busiek/George Perez Avengers run.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Bale you mean the one with
    Cerce

right? Cuz I loved that run if that's what you're referring to.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Scumdogg wrote: »

And now for another question!

I am pretty set on the Marvel books i want to read right now. I have a giant list of essentials lined up and am steadily buying and reading through them. And i have a few new books i like now too (Ultimate Spider-Man, Astonishing X-Men)

But i need to know about some really good DC books. Mostly along the lines of the Showcase stuff. I don't like how they're just kind of random issues, but i imagine that's because they were basically just random one-shot stories for a really long time, and a lot of them were probably terrible.

The early Marvel books had a pretty reliable guiding voice in Stan Lee, i think, but i feel less confident just dropping money on any old DC Showcase. So what is some recommended reading? I'm open to any and all characters.

Green Arrow: Quiver was pretty awesome. Also, any of the Green Lantern stuff from the last 2 years. JSA: Justice Be Done is the first book of the GREAT JSA run. Also, Starman is amazing, so you might like the Starman Omnibus.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    is this the right thread? or the other q and a thread?

Does anyone know anything about Kirkman and Walker's Destroyer? Is it still happening?

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=74311

thank you. i was wondering if there were any updates. we just saw another month of solicits with that mini no where in sight again.

Did the next volume of Amazing Joy Buzzards, titled Monster Love, ever come out?
    When does Incognito start?

DouglasDanger on
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Incognito's first issue is supposed to drop on 12/10.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I'm looking at buying for a friend who's a drooling Whedon fan his run on Runaways plus the issues that came before, of course.

It's to my understanding the best way to do this would be to get the hardcover collections? I am totally clueless on the best way to buy comics. I'd like to support the Friendly Local Comic Book Store, but I don't want to go broke, either. :|

Mike Danger on
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
    edited November 2008
    I'm looking at buying for a friend who's a drooling Whedon fan his run on Runaways plus the issues that came before, of course.

It's to my understanding the best way to do this would be to get the hardcover collections? I am totally clueless on the best way to buy comics. I'd like to support the Friendly Local Comic Book Store, but I don't want to go broke, either. :|

Amazon.com is the best way to buy trades and hardcovers, barring some other place having a sale.

And yes, Hardcovers are the best way to enjoy Runaways.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited November 2008
    So I heard there's a new hardcover of Watchmen with the same recoloring as the Absolute Edition. Is this true? If so, how is it in other regards, such as extra content and price?

Robos A Go Go on
    edited November 2008
    wwtMask wrote: »
    Incognito's first issue is supposed to drop on 12/10.
    Thanks. :)

DouglasDanger on
    edited November 2008
    What're some good places to look for out of print books?

I'm looking for X-Statix Volume 3

Robos A Go Go on
  • smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »
    If you want to read good Wanda Maximoff stories, she's pretty damn focal to the classic Kurt Busiek/George Perez Avengers run.

West Coast Avengers?

smokmnky on
    edited November 2008
    What're some good places to look for out of print books?

I'm looking for X-Statix Volume 3

I found the trade of Marvel Boy, which had been out of print for several years at the time, on Ebay for about 5 dollars.

DouglasDanger on
  • jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    How is "Watching the Watchmen"? If it is full of fun facts and insightful, it would make a great gift for my wife. She is not a big comic book reader, but since reading Watchmen due to my insistence that it was "Better than any "Non-funny pages book" you've ever read!" she has become slightly obsessive about talking about how awesome it is. She might even imagine that I am Nightowl when we make whoopee.

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
    edited November 2008
    One of the SE posters was raving about its awesomeness earlier today somewhere in the SE.

DouglasDanger on
    edited November 2008
    smokmnky wrote: »

West Coast Avengers?

No it was the post Heroes Return stuff

It's collected in five hardcovers titled "Avengers Assemble" Vols 1-5

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2008
    smokmnky wrote: »

West Coast Avengers?

No it was the post Heroes Return stuff

It's collected in five hardcovers titled "Avengers Assemble" Vols 1-5

Oh, wasn't she somewhat of a big player in WC: Avengers? I haven't read it personally but I thought I heard that.

smokmnky on
    edited November 2008
    She was, but that wasn't what I was talking about!

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2008
    She was, but that wasn't what I was talking about!

I know! I was just asking a new question!

smokmnky on
    edited November 2008
    so i got a question

has anyone else been reading northlanders? because i just picked up the first trade and i gotta say, it was pretty fucking awesome.

the highlights were
    the scene where some crazy asshole with two axes jumps sven out of nowhere trying to kill him just for the street cred and the scene where he fucking ambushes those guys hunting deer. that was so badass

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • IrohIroh Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Servo wrote: »
    so i got a question

has anyone else been reading northlanders? because i just picked up the first trade and i gotta say, it was pretty fucking awesome.

the highlights were
    the scene where some crazy asshole with two axes jumps sven out of nowhere trying to kill him just for the street cred and the scene where he fucking ambushes those guys hunting deer. that was so badass
    Of course. The deer carcass was definitely the highlight for me.

The last arc was only two issues, but it was pretty cool nonetheless.

Iroh on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2008
    yeah, i read on his website that it's apparently going to be individual story-arcs of eight issues each separated by a two issue story. that sounds pretty cool to me. i really dug the length of this first trade, and appreciated that it told one complete story. that's always nice to have in a trade.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited November 2008
    Servo wrote: »
    yeah, i read on his website that it's apparently going to be individual story-arcs of eight issues each separated by a two issue story. that sounds pretty cool to me. i really dug the length of this first trade, and appreciated that it told one complete story. that's always nice to have in a trade.
    I'm just hoping that plan sticks and we don't get too many filler issues, like DMZ had awhile back.

Iroh on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2008
    yeah i stopped reading dmz right around then

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    i get DMZ in trades so I don't mind it I guess?

Sars_Boy on
    edited November 2008
    Sars_Boy wrote: »
    i get DMZ in trades so I don't mind it I guess?
    Well I read the singles, so I do mind.

Even the filler is alright, though. Brian Wood is great.

Iroh on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    is 1985 done?

ManonvonSuperock on
    edited November 2008
    is 1985 done?

Yup, barring sequels.

Robos A Go Go on
This discussion has been closed.