As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Can't Decide: Netbook v. Xbox360

Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
edited November 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I'll keep this short and sweet, I usually get myself one big gift at Christmas.

I have done some counting and stuff and realized this year I have about 600 bucks left over after all my other gift purchases for myself (more then usual this year! woo!). This money has been accounted for and was deducted out of my paychecks and such so its not a question of needing to save it.

This year I am at a cross road between one of those new fangled Netbooks, or an Xbox360 (I have zero interest in a PS3). I have a Mac Powerbook but....its dated, running OS X 10.3, yet it does all I need it to do: take notes, store music, and surf the web as needed.

Heres what I would use each for:

Netbook: I am going back to school in the spring and fear my laptops battery might be semi-shot from years of use, so the netbook would be a cost effective way to replace it, as well as be a new techie toy to play with, it would be used entirely for notes, papers, and so on. Nothing technical at all or anything to push the hardware (might install a game or two for down time, but nothing serious). Never the less this would be a useful tool, but a simple battery replacement/diagnostic (to see if its really broke) might solve the Powerbooks problem, plus an OS upgrade.

Xbox360: I have been a devoted PC gamer for a very, very long time. But...I feel like I have entered a point where I just want to pick up a game, play for a bit, and put it back down. No longer do I sit for 12 hours and play the same game. Plus I migrated over to Linux to start learning some coding and such (I find the Linux environment much more conditional to this) and that has put a little damper on my "new" game...gaming. I have this suspicion that a console would be pretty damn fun to replace this. On top of that, gaming culture seems (just seems, not is) to be moving more toward consoles and away from PC's. Plus I play things like FFXI, and any FPS game exclusively, which....Xbox has FFXI, and some of the best FPS game series, that PC does not, and will not get.

So H/A, please help me make up my mind!

Anon the Felon on

• OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    If I read you right, you're looking to spend all $600? If this is the case, you could afford both.

Dell Inspiron Mini 9 - $349
    Xbox 360 with 20gb HDD - $260 (less if you get an Arcade)

Total: $609

If you have to choose one of the two, I'd replace your Macbook's battery and get a 360. You'll just get more enjoyment out of it. A netbook is very practical, but if you've already got a laptop, it'll probably seem less significant and enjoyable as a purchase.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • powersspowerss Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Both? $199 Xbox and $399 netbook/notebook...

powerss on
  • TechBoyTechBoy Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I'd say you'd get probably get bored of the netbook real quick, and probably not play the Xbox all that much because going from KB&M to controller will make FPS's a lot less fun (for a someone that likes PC shooters).

But on the flipside, people are totally right that you could afford to get both.

TechBoy on
    tf2_sig.png
    edited November 2008
    Eh, I'm a long-time hardcore FPS gamer with my roots firmly planted in the PC, but playing with a controller still has a certain appeal in some games. It's less accurate and slower, true, but it feels more visceral to play with, for lack of a better word. It's a combination of actually pulling a trigger, plus the force feedback. I wouldn't want to play, say, Left 4 Dead on the 360, but Gears of War? I'm all there.

Edit: Also, weirdly enough... the number one reason I love having a 360? Xbox Live Arcade. There are some awesome pick-up-and-play games.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Yeah, I'd mostly be getting the xbox for Fallout 3, GoW, Halo 3, FFXI, and...the arcade.

Just ran a diag on my powerbooks battery and it seems to be in tip top shape, I think I just need to let it drain out, all this time plugged in has messed with the charge I think (my reason for thinking so is I unplugged it [first time in about 6-8 months] to take some where, and it died after 10 minutes, but just now it ran for its estimated 1:30 mins [was running everything at once just to not stop using it during the test])

Still though, a netbook would be rad, but as someone said....just a fun gadget for limited use, xbox would provide long term enjoyment.

Anon the Felon on
  • The_Glad_HatterThe_Glad_Hatter One Sly Fox Underneath a Groovy HatRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    new battery for your mac + some ram = 200 bucks.
    That should leave enough for a descent xbox, right?

The_Glad_Hatter on
  • Dance CommanderDance Commander Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Also, the cheaper netbooks don't really have keyboards that are suitable for taking notes, in my opinion. The exception is the HP Mini whatever, but that also has kind of a crappy processor and less than impressive battery life.

Dance Commander on
  • RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I second the new battery, and possibly new memory if you have less than 1GB. Powerbooks are awesome. I have a five year old Powerbook G4 that is still going strong and has 10.5 installed.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Go the 360. A friend at work got all worked up about his netbook. He brought it to work every day for a week. He doesn't use it any more. You'll get lots of fun over a longer period of time with the 360. Yes sir.

desperaterobots on
  • ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Also, the cheaper netbooks don't really have keyboards that are suitable for taking notes, in my opinion. The exception is the HP Mini whatever, but that also has kind of a crappy processor and less than impressive battery life.

I typed a 7 page research paper on my Eee 901.
    So um, your mileage may vary?

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • theclamtheclam Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

I typed a 7 page research paper on my Eee 901.
    So um, your mileage may vary?

I suppose I could type a paper on my 901, but I wouldn't want to. I'm really glad I bought my Eee and it is good for taking notes, but I'm also really glad I've got a desktop, too.

Also, to the OP, if you go for both, make absolutely sure you get a 360 with a hard drive.

theclam on
    rez_guy.png
    edited November 2008
    And/or make absolutely sure you get a netbook with a 6-cell battery.

Improvolone on
    edited November 2008
    Keep in mind that either of those things can be upgraded at a later time without breaking the bank, though.

OremLK on
  • Pure DinPure Din Boston-areaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I love my netbook (using it now), but it's definitely not a replacement for a real computer. Your powerbook should be fine for school though, my primary computer is much less powerful.

Pure Din on
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    My netbook has been invaluable the last two weeks while I've been stuck without any games machines. However, if I'd had my 360, I wouldn't even have touched the netbook.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Pure Din wrote: »
    I love my netbook (using it now), but it's definitely not a replacement for a real computer. Your powerbook should be fine for school though, my primary computer is much less powerful.

See, here in lies my issue with the netbook...my desktop is great, so I am not looking for portable gaming. I am looking to get a new laptop, which...I might or might not need (as people have said) I know for a fact I would not need a traveling computer outside of 5 hours a day. Within the next two years I am not going on a vacation of any sort...so it would strictly be for school.

The Xbox? why, I could do some of my programming/web design, while multi-tasking some gaming or without the games consuming my entire computer...hmmm.

Thanks so far, but it seems to be pretty evenly split.

Anon the Felon on
  • proXimityproXimity Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I'd go with the Xbox for now, if you're spending a lot of your free time with it, don't bother with the netbook. Also, by waiting to get a netbook, they'll probably come out with better/cheaper models, which doesn't happen nearly as quickly with consoles like the 360.

proXimity on
    camo_sig2.png
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Also keep in mind that AMD may be releasing a netbook-scale processor soon, which could initiate some healthy price competition.

Also also, if you're not particularly concerned with omg-super-portability, you can get a MUCH better regular laptop for under $600.

Were I the one with the dilemma, I would get a 360 now, and save the rest until a good deal comes around for the other.

Denada on
    edited November 2008
    If you have a real need to a netbook, you could really use a computer with you at all times, need to take notes somewhere, etc, get one.
    If you just want one cause its cool, then you might as well get an Xbox. It's mroe of a fun factor than an omg my life is better factor.

Improvolone on
  • kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Honestly, I have this 8 year old dell laptop with a completely broken battery. i never need to use a laptop where i'm not in a setting where there is a plug - i.e. a classroom, a library or public place. as more people realize public spaces have plugs (i.e. airports four years ago), i think there's more of a crackdown. but in a purely educational environment, i wouldn't worry too much about battery life.

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • xenchuxenchu Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I have an Acer Aspire One netbook, and the novelty wore off quick. I'm back to using a 14.1" Gateway for most mobile computing needs.

Imho, the netbook is great for travel at this point, but not much else.

xenchu on
  • ArasenArasen Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I know it's more than you're looking to spend, but Dell is doing a promotion that when you buy a regular laptop you can order a netbook to go with it for $99. Had a little trouble getting the promotion to go through when I just ordered mine but the customer service people were really helpful making sure it got factored in. If you want to continue playing PC games you might consider this route.
    That being said I love my 360 and definitely recommend getting one.

Arasen on
    [SIGPIC]steam_sig.png[/SIGPIC]