As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

NXE, That new Xbox Dashboard Thing?

• APZonerunnerAPZonerunner Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Mine's been perfect, great. Streamed some episodes of Fawlty Towers and The Office USA, and watched Devils Advocate and Dirty Harry all fine.

APZonerunner on
    APZonerunner | RPG Site | UFFSite | The Gaming Vault
    XBL/PSN/Steam: APZonerunner
  • RancedRanced Default Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    sounds like your connection is having trouble streaming fast enough initially for whatever reason

Ranced on
  • polaris314polaris314 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I haven't seen much love for the quick launch feature, which is basically like a bookmark page in the guide you can use to warp to any section of the NXE (or fire up a game/video directly). Pretty helpful if you're deep in some of the menus and want to switch to your arcade games/Netflix/whatever. Also, I like that you can assign a Netflix rating directly on the console, and that both the 360 applet and the pc version will remember how much of something you have watched already.

Having a PA metatag for people to look to for party invites would be nice; I imagine not everyone will always know which game they want to play right when they boot up.

polaris314 on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL/PSN-Polaris314/Twitter/DJ P0LARI5
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So I really don't get what Parties are for - is it just a chat channel with multiple people in it? Can you do anything else but talk?

Also - on my friends list I saw the group of us chatting together. But then I said "Look, you can make him dizzy by spinning his head." and no one knew what I was talking about, because my guy wasn't doing that on thier screens. Then, we did the wave, and about 3 minutes later someone said "Hey! We're doing the wave!" So I think that the avatars are totally independant on each machine...

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Parties are good for organized teams too. I use them whenever I get a team of friends to play gears.

EspantaPajaro on
  • CrazybearCrazybear Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Can I just say that streaming movies live from Netflix was alone worth the update. I mean, god, you are streaming movies from Netflix for Christ sake!

I would stay and chat, but I have to go watch Blade Runner.

Yeah, Blade Runner.

On my 360.

Fucking awesome.

Crazybear on
    sig.gif
  • Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Parties are good for organized teams too. I use them whenever I get a team of friends to play gears.
    Also, when you're in party chat you can't hear people outside of the party. This is useful when playing games like GTA so you don't have to listen to people screaming the n-word or whatever.

Clint Eastwood on
  • aBlankaBlank Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    like the new look/feel of the dashboard. I could care less about Avatars but meh, whatever. Only complaint is having to put shit in my "instant" queue for Netflix... what, it can't just look at my queue and pick out the ones that are available online? I wouldn't mind so much except I can't add shit to my instant queue from my normal queue... so I gotta click the movie, THEN add and meh.

I have to nitpick something ! :[

aBlank on
  • PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I love screwing around with the avatar gamer pic thing.

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I've decided we need to name the avatars something besides 'avatar'.

xMiis?

Xiis?

Mr Pink on
  • existexist Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    how about we call them avatars

exist on
    UmPiq.png
    edited November 2008
    exist wrote: »
    how about we call them avatars

Hur hur hur

Mr Pink on
  • Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    How about we call them candlejacks, that way we can capitalize on some awful 4chan meme.

Hah, you totally thought I was going to stop midsentence, didn't y-

Recoil42 on
  • CrazybearCrazybear Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Mr Pink wrote: »

xMiis?

Xiis?

3-6-Miis?

Crazybear on
    sig.gif
  • chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Crazybear wrote: »

xMiis?

Xiis?

3-6-Miis?

I shall kill you both.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Extreme Avatars brought to you by Mountain Dew?

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
    edited November 2008
    Extreme CODE AWESOME Avatars brought to you by CODE RED Mountain Dew?

I'd buy it.

Mr Pink on
    edited November 2008
    Money printers.

"Here's this free little guy. Neat huh? He's free. You don't want him to be LAME though, right? Because you COULD totally buy him clothes. And all this stuff. It doesn't DO anything...but..I mean...you want him to be cool, right?

Yeah, so enjoy this free guy."

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

xMiis?

Xiis?

3-6-Miis?

Horrible human beings.

That isn't a suggestion for a different name.

Accualt on
    edited November 2008
    mxmarks wrote: »
    Money printers.

"Here's this free little guy. Neat huh? He's free. You don't want him to be LAME though, right? Because you COULD totally buy him clothes. And all this stuff. It doesn't DO anything...but..I mean...you want him to be cool, right?

Yeah, so enjoy this free guy."

:lol::^:

Recoil42 on
  • dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Hate the new interface. Wish they wouldn't have bothered with it. It just seems like a way of forcing you to scroll through more advertisements for shit to get what you want done. Fuck avatars.

Edit: The fact they basically force you to make an "avatar" to use the goddamn system at all is sort of infuriating. I wish to play vidja games, not dressup.

dispatch.o on
    edited November 2008
    You guys are just a bunch of grumpy old men and it's past your bedtime. Jeopardy ended hours ago.

Mr Pink on
  • 043043 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Seriously, Jesus Christ.

Make a guy that kind of looks like you, or whatever the fuck you want, and then you never have to deal with the avatar system ever again. You can still use the old friends list, and they added maybe an extra button press to any action you would've done in the old dashboard.

It's smoother, prettier and easier to use. The bitchers just hate change.
    Most of this post is directed towards XBL, not PA. Just needed to get it out of my system.

043 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Personally I've been calling them Micromiis.

Clint Eastwood on
  • JerikTelorianJerikTelorian Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Accualt wrote: »

xMiis?

Xiis?

3-6-Miis?

Horrible human beings.

This whole conversation made me laugh out loud.

Also, I like the avatars. I was really pumped about making one. However, I will note that they are less manipulable than the Mii's.

JerikTelorian on
    SteamID -- JerikTelorian
    XBL: LiquidSnake2061
    Shade wrote: »
    Anyone notice how some things (mattresses and the copy machines in Highrise) are totally impenetrable? A steel wall, yeah that makes sense, but bullets should obliterate copy machines.

I don't know about you, but I always buy a bullet proof printer. Its a lot more expensive, but I think the advantages are apparent.
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Sonic Unleashed theme pictures coming within an hour of this post.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Accualt wrote: »

xMiis?

Xiis?

3-6-Miis?

Horrible human beings.

This whole conversation made me laugh out loud.

Also, I like the avatars. I was really pumped about making one. However, I will note that they are less manipulable than the Mii's.

updated op with avatar replacement name

e- changed "Horrible Dwiiagon 3avmiitar60 people" back to avatar

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • RancedRanced Default Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    D:

You have to really, really, really love Sonic to willingly pay for the Unleashed theme.

Ranced on
    edited November 2008
    Ranced wrote: »
    D:

You have to really, really, really love Sonic to willingly pay for the Unleashed theme.

You know, for being a "Sonic Theme" there's not a whole lot of Sonic. It has the whole adobe house thing going, and I think it's very serene and beautiful.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    edited November 2008
    from the tiny pics i found, it has a nice tails plane. otherwise it's unrecognizable, save for some rings.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    edited November 2008
    Ranced wrote: »
    D:

Welcome to Penny Arcade G&T.

Recoil42 on
    edited November 2008
    As for what to call these things, when I explained it to my girlfriend I called them Mii's. It made things a lot smoother.

"Come over here and make your...little person thing...for the XBox!"
    "...why? I don't play that."
    "I know but I think there's stuff you'd like if you sat and gave it a shot."
    "I like the wii."
    "I know that, but...you can make a Mii on this too."
    "...really?"

10 minutes later she was still fucking around with it's clothes.
    After I showed her that her avatar shows up in Uno, she asked what Microsoft points were, bought them, bought Uno, and sat there for an hour. She was floored that you could actually speak with people in real time as you played Uno.

Well done, Microsoft. Making my girlfriend think something is cool, after I have USED THE DAMN HEADSET IN FRONT OF HER HUNDREDS OF TIMES.

mxmarks on
    edited November 2008
    I love this theme. I wish I could get rid of the Sonic logo there. Otherwise it's beautiful.

soniczm5.jpg

sonic2hn4.jpg

sonic3gi0.jpg

sonic4ts2.jpg

sonic5ok8.jpg

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    edited November 2008
    yeah i'd like it if the title wasn't there.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    edited November 2008
    Pretty nice even with the logo, I think. I'd probably like it even more without the logo, but even with it, I like it a lot.

Recoil42 on
    edited November 2008
    PikaPuff, you need to add the info about the option for the QWERTY keyboard to the OP.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    edited November 2008
    Also if anyone wants to post my Sonic dash images on GAF, feel free. I've been banned from the place so I can't myself.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    edited November 2008
    I'll do it, but only because they supplied most of the rest of them so we kinda owe them. I get to call them fags though.

Recoil42 on
  • Saint JusticeSaint Justice Mercenary Mah-vel Baybee!!!Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    so does anyone know of any avatar options you can unlock through playing/beating games and/or achievements yet?

Saint Justice on
    Some people play tennis, I erode the human soul. ~ Tycho
    edited November 2008
    PikaPuff, you need to add the info about the option for the QWERTY keyboard to the OP.

yeah that's the red text thing I was talking about. let me just spend several hours looking for the post because you didn't spend 10 seconds telling me what you want me to put into the OP

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png