As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

In-hotel Halo 2 matches

Red Machine DRed Machine D __BANNED USERS regular
edited July 2005 in PAX Archive
If we do it right, we can get 4 Xboxes, 4 TVs, 4 rooms, 16 controllers, a switch, and enough cable to link them all otgether. The rooms would have to be next to eachother to minimize tripping and all, and it might be a bit complex, but everything would work.

Any volunteers?

Red Machine D on

• Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2005
    If we do it right, we can get 4 Xboxes, 4 TVs, 4 rooms, 16 controllers, a switch, and enough cable to link them all otgether. The rooms would have to be next to eachother to minimize tripping and all, and it might be a bit complex, but everything would work.

Any volunteers?

Or everyone involved could all just get net access in their rooms and make a nice big lan game. I'm sure it all joins together into one big network...

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited February 2005
    That's generally how it works in colleges.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited February 2005
    Legacy wrote:

Any volunteers?

Or everyone involved could all just get net access in their rooms and make a nice big lan game. I'm sure it all joins together into one big network...

That shit's $20 a night, you know.

Red Machine D on
  • Options
    sPider817sPider817 Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2005
    Or we could each drop 60-70 bucks on a Linksys wireless adapter for our xbox's. I haven't had trouble with mine lagging out, and it would be an easier way for us to build a network without getting internet. Oh, and if you have a wireless router that supports G-Band, you can get rid of the wire to your XBOX too.

sPider817 on
    Battlenet: s314der#1279 XBL: s314der YouTube
    Twitch Wed-Sun, 2-5pm CST
  • Options
    Nate GravesNate Graves Registered User regular
    edited February 2005
    Geebs wrote:
    That's generally how it works in colleges.

Yup. I play in the dorms all the time, and they have four X-Boxes / TVs hooked up in four different rooms on the 2nd and 3rd Floor, there is cable running DOWN THE STAIRS.

Since D mentioned that net access is an extra $20 a night, and seemed adverse to that fact, jumping to spending an extra $70 / $80 a piece seems down-right logical.

It's really not that big of a deal to have cables all over the place (as long as we've been playing, we've never had a problem), and it's sure as hell cheaper than dropping the cash on wireless adapters.

All things said, I'm in. Someone should keep an inventory of what's coming, what we need exactly, and who's bringing what, so we're not missing anything by the end of it, and so we don't miss anything critical.

I'll be bringing my box, controllers and games. I've got one Controller S, two GSX controllers, and one Air Flo.

I don't have a hub or any extra ethernet cables since every place I've had to drag my box to has already had that stuff. Never needed to buy them.

Speaking of which, what do you guys prefer for controllers? I thought the old 'Grande' was all right, the 'S' was an improvement...but ended up playing Halo 2 mostly with the Pelican / GameStop 'GSX' controller, which is basically a Controller S with black and white buttons on top.

Of course, after I got an Air Flo, I refuse to play with anything else.

Nate Graves on
  • Options
    tmonkeytmonkey Registered User regular
    edited February 2005
    One thing to note, because of how the hotel usually wires their internal systems for getting to the internet, you'll have a difficult time actually getting systems to connect to eachother. They do a lot of packet blocking to keep other hotel guests' computers safe from other hotel guests' computers.

tmonkey on
  • Options
    JThrockmorton206JThrockmorton206 Registered User regular
    edited February 2005
    Dont have much to add, but im up for it.

JThrockmorton206 on
  • Options
    Reverend_ChaosReverend_Chaos Suit Up! Spokane WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2005
    I don't think that you would be at a loss to get enough people together to play some Halo 2. I would definitely be in for that.

Another thing that I would like to see.... would anyone be interested in some Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory multi player action?

Reverend_Chaos on
    “Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”
  • Options
    Viirix1Viirix1 Registered User regular
    edited February 2005
    ok, off topic but i didn't want to post a new thread...i have a hotel in Bellvue but i have no idea what the name of the center is, please for the love of god help me...oh yeah, i would love to play so would my bro, what do we need to bring the rooms?<see not all off topic>

Viirix1 on
    IF I DONT LIKE ME...WHO WILL?
  • Options
    JaidenJaiden Registered User regular
    edited February 2005
    Viirix1 wrote:
    ok, off topic but i didn't want to post a new thread...i have a hotel in Bellvue but i have no idea what the name of the center is, please for the love of god help me...oh yeah, i would love to play so would my bro, what do we need to bring the rooms?<see not all off topic>

Meydenbauer Center.

Jaiden on
    [15:51] <+Snickers> Dur, I R CUM
    [10:24] * @BigRed-Worky cums the water

[12:32] <+prox> lawl you kickbanned me so hard my client crashed
  • Options
    ÄlphämönkëyÄlphämönkëy Registered User regular
    edited February 2005
    4 clever laptop users in close proximity of one another could act as a nice replacement for linksys equipment. Im just throwing it out there. I would not plan on using LAN play via the hotel's circuts, you would need to tunnel into a common ground using VPN or somesuch, but by that point it would be easier to play on live.

Älphämönkëy on
  • Options
    edited February 2005
    4 clever laptop users in close proximity of one another could act as a nice replacement for linksys equipment. Im just throwing it out there. I would not plan on using LAN play via the hotel's circuts, you would need to tunnel into a common ground using VPN or somesuch, but by that point it would be easier to play on live.

I'm going to just most likely buy a 4-port switch and get some lengths of CAT5.

Red Machine D on
  • Options
    edited February 2005

I'm going to just most likely buy a 4-port switch and get some lengths of CAT5.

I've got some extra cables I can probably get a hold of, do we want 50 ft to be safe and excessive or will 25 ft suffice?

Nate Graves on
  • Options
    ctishmanctishman Registered User regular
    edited February 2005
    25 ft. would barely get you into the hallway. You need 50 minimum or better, WiFi.

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
    Get the PAX 2008 Countdown widget and while away your sad, pathetic life watching it tick down the hours to PAX '08!
    http://homepage.mac.com/ctishman
  • Options
    edited February 2005
    ctishman wrote:
    25 ft. would barely get you into the hallway. You need 50 minimum or better, WiFi.

I just don't know the layout and size of the hotel, or how far away the rooms are spaced, how close the TVs are to the door, etc.

Unless we have someone bringing / donating a bunch of wireless equipment, that'd actually be pretty useful information.

Nate Graves on
  • Options
    TobiTobi Registered User regular
    edited February 2005
    My girls are I would be REALLY interested in doing a giant LAN in the hotel. We'll pretty much bring everything we need for one, so someone else could just join in with us.

Anyone who is really serious on this should send me an email (sagaciouz@hotmail.com) so we can set this up. We'll have one group of 4 girls for sure, and another possible 4...so we'd make up half the players already.

Tobi on
    PMS clan + My 1UP profile + Myspace +

GT(s): sagaciouz (Xbox 360), Annarchy (Halo 2)
  • Options
    edited March 2005
    Tobi wrote:
    Anyone who is really serious on this should send me an email (sagaciouz@hotmail.com) so we can set this up. We'll have one group of 4 girls for sure, and another possible 4...so we'd make up half the players already.

Well, that depends...are you hot?

I kid, I kid.

Besides, you can't score with chicks after you've been killing them. Well, you can, but society frowns on it.

Honestly, I doubt we'll have a shortage of Halo PLAYERS, we just need to make sure we have enough games / X-Boxes going to accomodate. Even a 'giant LAN' in Halo is only sixteen people.

How many boxes do we have coming at this point? An inventory would help, to make sure we have enough junk.

Tobi - What is 'everything' you need? And what are you bringing?
    All things said, I'm in. Someone should keep an inventory of what's coming, what we need exactly, and who's bringing what, so we're not missing anything by the end of it, and so we don't miss anything critical.....

....I'll be bringing my box, controllers and games. I've got one Controller S, two GSX controllers, and one Air Flo.

...I make the same suggestion twice. heh.

Nate Graves on
  • Options
    edited March 2005
    I'll be bringing my Xbox and a switch AT THE VERY LEAST.

Red Machine D on
  • Options
    edited March 2005
    Well, that depends...are you hot?

I kid, I kid.

Besides, you can't score with chicks after you've been killing them. Well, you can, but society frowns on it.

Haha... [url]http:///www.pmsclan.com[/url]
    Truth be told, it's more impressive IF you can kill us.
    Tobi - What is 'everything' you need? And what are you bringing?
    We're bringing atleast one XBOX per two people, E cables, and a router, and more then likely another TV. I grazed the website for the hotel, but I'm positive they mentioned internet access, right?

A 'giant lan' can be cross sectioned. You don't have to play with the same 16 people in the hotel...you could make a mini-tournament IN the hotel using the online box's one night. That'd be pretty fun...

Tobi on

• Options
    edited March 2005
    Tobi wrote:
    Haha... [url]http:///www.pmsclan.com[/url]
    Truth be told, it's more impressive IF you can kill us.

You don't have much to worry about, I'm not very good.

But the answer is apparently 'yes'. Kudos on being attractive.
    I grazed the website for the hotel, but I'm positive they mentioned internet access, right?

Whether or not it will work for our purposes is kind of yet to be determined, as mentioned by tmonkey...
    tmonkey wrote:
    One thing to note, because of how the hotel usually wires their internal systems for getting to the internet, you'll have a difficult time actually getting systems to connect to eachother. They do a lot of packet blocking to keep other hotel guests' computers safe from other hotel guests' computers.

My cell phone is uhh...well, it's shut off right now. Can anyone call the hotel and find out information regarding their internet? The current staff might not know anything personally, but they might be able to tell us someone else we could contact as well.
    Tobi wrote:
    A 'giant lan' can be cross sectioned. You don't have to play with the same 16 people in the hotel...you could make a mini-tournament IN the hotel using the online box's one night. That'd be pretty fun...

Not being familiar with LAN set-ups, I don't understand what you mean by 'cross-sectioned'. I'm used to the usual bunch-o'-boxes n' cords and four people crammed around a TV set-up.

Nate Graves on
  • Options
    edited March 2005
    It's doesn't mean anything, actually. It's just a word I put in there to try and get my point across - which apparently failed.

Uhh...basicly all I meant is that we don't have to be connected with the same 4 box's (16 ppl) all night. I was sort of hoping something could be organized that could include anyone who was interested in participating in a hotel LAN competition... Best group of four out of 16 moves into the winners of the other four, etc. It'd just be sort of interesting.

Tobi on

• Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited July 2005
    Is this for hotel guests only? I live like an hour away so I don't see the need to get a room there...but is it cool if I join you people? I've got a linksys router and a couple 50 foot cables...xboxes and all that.

I'm just down for some halo 2, maybe a little challenge from people in real life as opposed to over XBL. That way even if you win the trash talking is still somewhat honorable(if that's possible).

Also I'd like to challenge a couple people to 1v1 later on, slayer duels are starting to grow on me :-)

Unknown User on
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2005
    The hotel will likely be very unhappy if they see TV's moving between rooms. Some hotels use the "HotelNET" crap that sells movies to keep track that TV's are not being stolen.

So you might want to be bringing TV's from outside the hotel if you're serious about this.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる