As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Plant Girl

eliseu gouveiaeliseu gouveia Registered User regular
edited November 2008 in Artist's Corner
I´m on a holding pattern waiting for my greenlight to start inking Project Elohim#6, so I decided to spend the afternoon horsing around with my pencils. :p

Some of you may have caught a brief glimpse of her in my 1996-1998 comic Immortal Tristara, meet Plant Girl Lemaphiris.

IMAGE_4921c6327b21b.jpg

Hope you like her. :)

eliseu gouveia on

• Options
    MufasaJoeMufasaJoe Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    You're starting to get lazy at checking your proportions.
    The only cool part of the Plant Girl concept is the arrow coming out of her back, which you didn't really make that exciting. I'd be more interested in the version you did in 1998 TBH.

MufasaJoe on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    LOL
    You got me, I´ve been lazy all day. :D

eliseu gouveia on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I have to agree with mufasa- her thighs and calfs don't looke like they belong to same person (thighs are too long and calfs are too short, i think)

Also, your use of cross hatching AND shading makes for a rather unfocused look. I'd say pick one or the other (and if i were you, i'd pick shading- the cross hatching isn't bad, but it looks out of place on such a feminine and "pure" character.)

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Nappuccino wrote: »
    I have to agree with mufasa- her thighs and calfs don't looke like they belong to same person (thighs are too long and calfs are too short, i think)

Also, your use of cross hatching AND shading makes for a rather unfocused look. I'd say pick one or the other (and if i were you, i'd pick shading- the cross hatching isn't bad, but it looks out of place on such a feminine and "pure" character.)

Bah, I didn't notice it till you pointed it out, but now I can't stop thinking the cross hatching is hair on her legs/back. *Shakes fist at Nappy*

Prospicience on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    now I can't stop thinking the cross hatching is hair on her legs/back. *Shakes fist at Nappy*

She's all natural baby :winky:

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/

• Options
    edited November 2008
    Thanks, guys, both for your posts and input, you are too kind. :)

eliseu gouveia on
  • Options
    falconirefalconire Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Overall I really like the drawing. Maybe it's just me, but the thighs and such look ok to me. Very nice.

falconire on
  • Options
    rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The head bothers me, her face is very flat and overall the skull is very long.

But it is a cool idea and a cool drawing.

rts on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Thanks, cakeMikz!

.............er, "flat face"?o_O
    I really can´t see it.....

eliseu gouveia on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Here is what I mean:
    convexconcave.jpg

In truth it is fairly flat, but you usually want to push it more in a convex direction because it feels better, you definitely do not want to push it in a concave direction.

rts on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Sorry, Cakemikz, but I honestly can´t see it.
    The nose and mouth are protruding, it´s not like they´re in the same plane as the eyes or the forehead...
    But looking at it, I think I got what you meant about the skull, it does look huge with the foliage and all.

eliseu gouveia on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    No, I see what cakemikz is talking about.

It's got a bit of a hieroglyphic thing going on.

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I used to suffer from the same issue in my drawings, which is why it stands out to me in particular I think. If you don't see it you will have to trust me that there is something up, and try as best you can to lookout for it in the future.

rts on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I'm going to have to agree with cake and godfather here. After looking for it, it's pretty obvious to me that the face is "flat." There just isn't any depth or shape to it which... is hard to explain i guess since I can't just point to the problem and say "this is why it looks this way etc." Hopefully someone else has the words to explain it properly.

Nappuccino on

• Options
    edited November 2008
    Damn, guys, now you have me officialy worried. :P

I can´t see it.

Cakemikz, can you post a diagram or something?
    If I don´t spot it, this will most likely drive me crazy....

eliseu gouveia on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I think I did...or did you want something more in-depth? I don't really have time tonight to go into it too much.

rts on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    to be fair, the little diagram cake drew is a slightly vague- i think you'd have made the point better had you drawn the line that shows the placement of the eyes along the skull... i might be wrong about that though.

edit: i think there are two main flaws that make this look flat- for one, with the perspective we have, I expect to see more of the underside of her jaw. For another, having such a distinct outline on her face flattens it immediately imo and, even if making other minor changes somewhat fixes it, you still have that flaw there from the start.

Nappuccino on

• Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    plantgirl.gif

I think this might help, its what stood out to me about the face, the bridge of her nose appears to dip too far into her face, and the brow isn't really shown, it goes straight from nose to forehead. also, her chin extends out nearly as far as her nose.

ManonvonSuperock on