As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Multiplayer RPG

DarmakDarmak RAGEvympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
edited November 2008 in Games and Technology
A friend of mine recently built a new computer for himself and his girlfriend got a laptop and he was wanting a diablo-style rpg that they could play together but he's been out of the PC gaming loop for quite some time now and was wondering what sorts of games that were out there that could run on a laptop (so she can play, his machine is a bit of a beast) and free. Free isn't a requirement but it would be nice. I couldn't really think of anything except Titan Quest and I doubt her laptop could run that, I'm not real sure about her specs. Any help would be appreciated.

JtgVX0H.png
Darmak on

• OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Hmm... how about Nox?

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • DisDis Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Make them play a Free to Play MMO together?
    Those Korean F2P MMO are pretty much all Diablo grinding style.

Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Glenn565Glenn565 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Sacred Gold is free on GameTap. I don't know how Gametap handles multiplayer, though.

Glenn565 on
    3DS code:4511-0654-1976
    NNID: Glenn565
  • Asamof the HorribleAsamof the Horrible Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I'd say go with sacred

Asamof the Horrible on
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Wow, thanks for the replies. I'll let him know about Sacred and Nox and see if he'd be interested in any Korean MMOs or not. Keep the replies coming if there's anything else y'all can think of.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • JohnDoeJohnDoe Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Glenn565 wrote: »
    Sacred Gold is free on GameTap. I don't know how Gametap handles multiplayer, though.

Its $10 on Gog.com if you're not in the US or don't want to subscribe to Gametap.

JohnDoe on
  • Serious_ScrubSerious_Scrub Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    why wouldn't you recommend guild wars?
    Sure it's not quite diablo-style, but it would be a step up from a korean MMO

Serious_Scrub on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Sacred 2 is out (and fun), but it has somewhat hefty system requirements. Not sure how well it'd run on a laptop without cranking details ways down.

Glal on
  • MacenMacen Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Here's some that I would recommend:

Dungeon Siege 1 and 2 were both good for multiplayer(most laptops can run both of them).

Neverwinter Nights (1&2 - 2 might be too much for the laptop), they are a bit more nerdy along the D&D lines though...

WoW - My guess is his GF would like WoW (if they are willing to invest the money). Most girls I know end up liking it if they play it....

I have a few more on the tip of my tongue (me and my buddies love multiplayer RPG's so I've played quite a few) I will post them of I can think of them.

Macen on
  • IdolisideIdoliside Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Seconded, good if you've been out of the loop a while plus no monthly fees. I think the complete collection is relativly cheap now.

Idoliside on
    Proud member of Noah's Wangship Steam Group
    iusb_760x100.8161697.jpgBunting, Owls and Cushions! Feecloud Designs
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Idoliside wrote: »

Seconded, good if you've been out of the loop a while plus no monthly fees. I think the complete collection is relativly cheap now.

That is true, plus I play Guild Wars and could play with them. I don't know about her laptop being able to play it though but if the shitty computers at my workplace can run it then I imagine there's a chance her laptop can.

I can't believe I never thought of that. :D

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • RookRook Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Darmak wrote: »
    Idoliside wrote: »

That is true, plus I play Guild Wars and could play with them. I don't know about her laptop being able to play it though but if the shitty computers at my workplace can run it then I imagine there's a chance her laptop can.

I can't believe I never thought of that. :D

My mum's laptop with the the intel GMA950 can play Guildwars. It's not super pretty but it works.

Rook on
  • citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The closed beta of Runes of Magic is pretty easy to get into, and open beta is slated for Dec. 9th. It's a free MMO that's very, very much like another big MMO on the market right now. I can't say much because of NDA, but, wow, the similarities are amazing.

citizen059 on
  • Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    OremLK wrote: »
    Hmm... how about Nox?

Hahaha, oh god yes!

That is some fun multiplayer right there!

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Yeah, I'll throw in another vote for Guild Wars. It's great fun with people, and you can play it as casual as you want.

Rainfall on
  • lunarislunaris Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Whoa.

I just peeked at the Runes of Magic website. It IS WoW (at least from an artistic/graphical POV).

lunaris on
  • chasehatesbearschasehatesbears Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I am going to have to highly, HIGHLY recommend Guild Wars. It is my favorite multiplayer RPG ever, and I have been dying for the sequel since I got through most of the content in EoTN.

chasehatesbears on
  • unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    yeah GW is good...I burned out on it after beating EotN twice. Looking forward to GW2.

Oddly enough I had a dream that GW2 came out...and it was a shooter.
    I played as the class "New Spirit" (no idea) and it was basically a mesmer. With an AK-47. It actually looked pretty damn fun. If only it were real :(

unintentional on
  • FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Fourthing (or is it fifthing by now?) Guild Wars. Just be prepared for some fairly slow pacing in Prophecies. From what I've seen, the campaigns got better areas and more interesting quests as the developers got more experience.

My only real complaints with it are that if you want to try a new class and you're halfway though the game, you have to start all the way back at the beginning; and if you're playing with a group and you miss a session, you have to play through what you missed, you can't just skip ahead to where everyone else is.

Oh, and yeah, it'll pretty much run on anything. My old ATi Xpress 200m card with 500mb shared RAM could handle it decency on low, though the game and load times got much more enjoyable when I added another gig of RAM.

Frem on
  • RookRook Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I wouldn't bother with prophecies and go straight to Nightfall, better story/voice acting/cast and it's got the hero's which are pretty essential if you're intent on just playing through with 2-3 people.

Rook on
  • unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    nightfall has the best plot/missions/skills
    factions has the best professions (I love me my ritualists some)
    Prophecies just set the stage (very well) but obviously they were going to improve it.

Eye of the North was a dissapointment. I don't even want to put it in my list.

unintentional on
  • chasehatesbearschasehatesbears Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    nightfall has the best plot/missions/skills
    factions has the best professions (I love me my ritualists some)
    Prophecies just set the stage (very well) but obviously they were going to improve it.

Eye of the North was a dissapointment. I don't even want to put it in my list.

GWEN did have really neat looking explorable areas and the campaign wasn't too bad, I just hated the awful story and the boring, often identical dungeons. Ursan was also sort of lame.

I recommend getting them all if you can, since the content doesn't take that long to get througand nice to have access to all the skills/professions/areas.

But nightfall really is a must for the heroes and the Paragon :]

chasehatesbears on