As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Wee Army-Man Comics (Snipers finished on page3 )

• McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    @Loom

Yeah, its all heavily stylized, so I'm not too concerned with the proportions. I'll probobly shrink the kid's arms a touch because I agree that they are quite a bit more stylized then the rest of the figures.

The girl sniper's position in the first panel doesn't seem terribly off to me. She's crooked like this, and also laying on a little hill.
    Pos6.jpg

And it's -gesture- not 'jester'.
    that threw me for a loop for a second.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • LoomdunLoomdun Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I thought I felt something wrong, Here it is.
    IMG_0212.jpg

But anyways shoulder height on the farther off shoulder, is way to high even for that from the direction which your taking it. I can see the hand below the arm and it would not be physically possible to have the shoulder up that much

ew.. I messed up to on mine what a horrible example

okay.... going to re-draw that I meant to extend the shoulder that was holding the gun since that one is suppose to be higher lol..

Edit: okay there lol I put in the wrong picture there. OH WHATEVER JUST STOP READING NOW AND LOOK AT IT I CANT TALK

Loomdun on
    splat
  • NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I think I wanted a better illistration that the boy was that solder's dream/childhood.

At first, I thought that the other sniper shot through a kid to kill the distracted solder.

Other than that, totally tops :)

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • D-RobeD-Robe Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Nappuccino wrote: »
    I think I wanted a better illistration that the boy was that solder's dream/childhood.

At first, I thought that the other sniper shot through a kid to kill the distracted solder.

Other than that, totally tops :)

Oh man I just got that! :oops: I was thinking the exact same thing.

D-Robe on
    Cheese.
  • FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I'll admit I did have to read through the comic a second time to get it. But I think the important thing here is that I wanted to read through it a second time.

Great stuff man!

Flay on
    edited November 2008
    The coloured version will have the 'childhood' parts in bright colours, and the rest in desaturated colours, so it should be alot easier to tell the two apart.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
    edited November 2008
    Well, in a way, I like that the only color is the blue butterfly but i'd really like to see how your idea turns out.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/

• earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Love it.

earthwormadam on
  • u63ru63r Jon "Bad Wasabi" Wood Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    "Shooting hallucinations will not relieve symptoms".
    Hee.

u63r on
    edited November 2008
    Finished.

I opted for a flat colouring scheme. I think it worked pretty good. Saved me alot of time due to the lack of shadows.
    butterfly2.jpg

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
    edited November 2008
    While I like the colors a lot, I'm not sure the butterfly sticks out enough and i'm not sure the difference between the fantasy and reality in the last page is different enough I think its because, even though the there is color, very light blue registers as "light grey" to me for some reason.

Nappuccino on

• MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Awesome as always, though I'm kinda thinking it could use an extra dream sequence panel prior to him getting shot. It's a tiny bit confusing, but otherwise it's all thumbs up, your little stories are full of all sorts of goodness.

Mustang on
  • BuckwolfeBuckwolfe Starts With Them, Ends With Us Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    As gorgeous as this is, it doesn't feel very...Gibs-like. At least as far as the visuals are concerned. There's something very, very different about the sniper story, and its not just the flat coloring you opted for. I'm thinking that it has something to do with the extra sparse backgrounds in conjunction with the flat colors. That's not to say that it looks poor, by any means. I think that I do prefer your slightly more detailed work like you've been posting up until this though. The others come off as more dynamic and really suck me in. This new one doesn't have the same impact.

Now that I think about it, "impact" might be the most appropriate term I can think of to describe your work. From what I've seen so far, your work contains a very harsh, and well grounded reality. It makes a deep impact, and illicits an emotional response because of that. I'm just not feeling that with the latest piece.

I also think that the colors are way too washed out. To the point of being a fault. Don't get me wrong, I love subtlety, and washed out colors, but there is zero punch here. And when its coupled with the flat coloring style, it only serves to compound the issue.

Its awesome that you're messing around with new things here and there, but I don't think that this one is working out as well as the previous ones. I sincerely think that you should keep experimenting and exploring in any way that you can think of, but the above mentioned might be something to keep in mind?

Buckwolfe on
  • srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I think it's the lack of texture...

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
    edited November 2008
    I think sizzy's right. It is very cartoonish without thous textures.

Nappuccino on

• TamTam Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I think it's supposed to be cartoony. If he didn't want it to be cartoony he probably wouldn't have drawn it in a cartoony style. That's how this whole series has been and I personally like the irony between the style and the content.

Tam on
    edited November 2008
    well, look at the first ones he posted. They are cartoonish, but the realism still gets through.

On this last one, the art seems too slick compared to the others.

edit: Idea! Maybe you should keep the textures for the "real" segments and go to the more cartoonish smooth colors for the dream one.

Nappuccino on

edited November 2008
    It's reduced, but I still get the grit of the present moment frames. The overall reduction might be because this one actually has more space dedicated to the flashback which doesn't- and isn't supposed to- have as much grit.

But yeah, texturizing the battlefield shots might enhance the effect...though I don't find the comic that wanting as too absolutely need them.

Tam on
    edited November 2008
    well, we aren't saying he has to do these things, just that we're noticing something that could be improved if he wants to take our advice. If nothing else, McGibs will know that there is still an issue for 4 of the 5 of us who've commented on it.

Nappuccino on

edited November 2008
    I'll try slapping some gritty textures and noise on the real panels. I need to sit down and crank out a few dozen "carpet" textures with watercolour paint, just to offset the cleanliness.

I agree that overall, the dream panels are a far departure from what I normally do. The content and colour are all very candy.
    These are all basically test comics for a new project I'm hoping to start after christmas. I think this is the last actual assignment this semester, but I'll be doing a bunch more development work over the break.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
    edited November 2008
    The fuck? Assignment? I had no idea you were still in school, Gibs. Or are you just taking extra art classes on the side?

Buckwolfe on
    edited November 2008
    I'm in my last year of art school.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
    edited November 2008
    Must be one hell of a school. Either that, or you went into it being hugely talented from the get-go. Your work is way more professional than what I saw come out of my senior class. I honestly thought that you had been doing illustration for a living for a couple years at least.

Also, if it turns out that you're younger than me, I'm going to be severely disappointed with myself.

Buckwolfe on
    edited November 2008
    @Buckwolfe- Age alone doesn't matter so much when things such as creativity, total years drawing, and plain old talent come into play.

Nappuccino on

edited November 2008
    Psh...shows what you know.

Buckwolfe on
    edited November 2008
    :cry:

Nappuccino on

• pogo mudderpogo mudder Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    i really like this comic your making, genuinely funny, and your storylines are very clever. the only beef i have with this latest one, is the slight anime style of the girl character, seems a bit out of place with the other characters in your comics. whereas the art and character design in your first comic is particulaly awesome!

pogo mudder on
    what a work of art is man, and the most boring choice you can make
  • NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I like the flat colors much better.

NibCrom on
    edited November 2008
    ^ updated with some grit.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    McGibs wrote: »
    Finished.

I opted for a flat colouring scheme. I think it worked pretty good. Saved me alot of time due to the lack of shadows.

the image is broken now, in case you didn't know

MrDelish on
    edited November 2008
    Not for me. However, i'm not seeing the the added grit either... though, i could just be blind.

Nappuccino on

edited November 2008
    Should work now

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
    edited November 2008
    I think that final line of panels looks much more clear now :)

Nappuccino on

• The DoctorThe Doctor Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Why no head shot?

The Doctor on
  • D-RobeD-Robe Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The textures and grit make it much better.

D-Robe on
    Cheese.
    edited November 2008
    I concede that I was wrong before. This is much better.

Tam on
    edited November 2008
    Agreeing is fun :D

Nappuccino on

• Giga GopherGiga Gopher Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The lines of the first few panels are much thinner than the last few.

Apart from that it's fantastic.

Giga Gopher on
    My friend's band - Go on, have a listen
    Cannon+Goose.png
    Oh it's such a nice day, I think I'll go out the window! Whoa!
    edited November 2008
    The Doctor wrote: »
    Why no head shot?

Most snipers aim for the largest body mass- its easier to hit from a distance.

Nappuccino on

edited November 2008
    Nappuccino wrote: »
    The Doctor wrote: »
    Why no head shot?

Most snipers aim for the largest body mass- its easier to hit from a distance.

yeah that.
    Head shots are hard. Heads are tiny. Especially at a few hundred meters away. A bullet in the torso will usually make you just as dead as a bullet in the head. And torso's are alot bigger.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg