As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Phalla VIII/SignUps Closed/ Start Date Set

DynagripDynagrip Break me a million heartsHoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
edited February 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
Ok, let me get the request out of the way first. I haven't had the chance or time to read Noom's thread yet, but the awesome, it burns my eyes even with the merest glance.

So...I would like this version of Phalla to have an official illustrator/s. It won't be too much, just perhaps a couple of mood setting scenes per night/narrator post.

This is much like the other Phallas but, well, it could be a little intense...unless I get dragged off by the police in the middle of it.

Ok, basic background. The small village of Phalla had its side chosen for it long before the War ever began. It was a loyal vassal to the City of Thought, and remained so even as Thought became vain and proud. The state of Lakedaimon had long been envious of Thought and this had boiled over into the most vicious war this land had ever known.

After years of fighting on and land, sea, and even in the Heavens amongst the Gods, Thought stands on the brink of destruction.

Phalla may not hold out long against the marching armies, and yet every day allows Thought that much more time to send its cultural artifacts and original ideals elsewhere.

There are traitors in Phalla, as there are in every town, large and small. They will do everything they can to hasten its destruction and provide a cobbled path up to Thought's gates.

701peloponnesian.gif

Discuss!
Start date will be in a couple of weeks from now, I'm thinking February 12th or whatever the fine mods of D&D say.

Sign up begins when NOW, on the birthday of his Bright-Eyed Sibling, Pallas Athena.
They will be closed at the same time on the Huntress' day.
Or when filled.

[spoiler:29eda67f1a] Open: Now, February 3rd, Noon CST. Close, Monday, February 5th, Noon CST[/spoiler:29eda67f1a]

Start Date & Voting Times
Wednesday the 7th of February at 8 am CST is now the official start date and time.

Voting will end at about 9 pm CST every night...this could get a little shaky on the weekends but we can all stay up late then.

Dynagrip on

• Options
    FunkyWaltDoggFunkyWaltDogg Columbia, SCRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Sounds exciting! I especially like the title.

FunkyWaltDogg on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Fuck, I am so in.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited January 2007
    I thought that Jeff had declared a Phalla break. Am I misremembering, or did you already clear it with him?

edit: It does sound like a cool idea for a Phalla, though.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    CantideCantide Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Whenever this happens, I'm in.

Cantide on
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I didn't hear about a phalla break. Then again, I haven't really paid attention to the last three phalla threads, and paid only sporadic attention to the forums during the Christmas break.

An illustrated Phalla sounds like a fun idea.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    Irond Will wrote:
    I thought that Jeff had declared a Phalla break. Am I misremembering, or did you already clear it with him?

edit: It does sound like a cool idea for a Phalla, though.
    I asked him, he said to ask Elkamil. Elkamil said a couple of weeks about 4 days ago, but I'm padding it out some.

Also, it's possible I can handle the illustrating myself, but it'd be cool to have someone else to do their take on it. Mine would be hand drawn though. I should probably start studying Grecan vases and frescos and such just in case.

LXXXV_85_a_sm.jpg

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I will participate in Dyna's Phalla and Dyna's Phalla only.

Anyway, I haven't played yet, but I'd like to, and this one sounds novel.

The Green Eyed Monster on
  • Options
    ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    I am enthusiastic and approve.

If my monitor breaks because it can't handle the awesomeness levels, you will receive a bill.

Shinto on
  • Options
    Look Out it's Sabs!Look Out it's Sabs! Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I love Greek history so I'm in.

However did Hack decide he didn't want to do his or what?

Look Out it's Sabs! on
    NNID: Sabuiy
    3DS: 2852-6809-9411
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited January 2007
    I'm in.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    You know what? I haven't done a Phalla yet, I figure I should really do one. Consider me in.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I think I'll join in.
    Sign me up.

Couscous on
  • Options
    ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    Wait, when is 300 coming out?

We need to time these two events to maximize the glory.

Shinto on
  • Options
    Look Out it's Sabs!Look Out it's Sabs! Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Shinto wrote:
    Wait, when is 300 coming out?

We need to time these two events to maximize the glory.

It's coming up around in march.

Look Out it's Sabs! on
    NNID: Sabuiy
    3DS: 2852-6809-9411
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Sounds like it's going to be great.

I'm in.

Leitner on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Can I be a hoplite? I've always wanted to be a hoplite. I will particupate regardless.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited January 2007
    All right, I'm in. Sounds like fun.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited January 2007
    In.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Irond Will wrote:
    Will I'm going to vote to kill you first.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Can I be the guy who pretends to be insane in order to avoid the war?

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    It appears the recently formed Mod Junta has heard of my interest and has come to crush my freedoms.

Let me assure you now, I won't fall as easily as D&D has to your evil, despotic regime Elks and Will.

• Options
    edited January 2007
    celery77 wrote:
    Irond Will wrote:
    Witness the smoldering generic white rage.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Irond Will wrote:
    celery77 wrote:
    Irond Will wrote:
    Seriously, you couldn't even mod your way out of a wet paper bag, and you expect me to think you can keep pace in a Phalla game? Go back to ruminating over the "deep" storyline of Oldboy and leave the intrigue to the big kids, slugger.

• Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    celery77 wrote:
    Irond Will wrote:
    celery77 wrote:
    Irond Will wrote:
    Seriously, you couldn't even mod your way out of a wet paper bag, and you expect me to think you can keep pace in a Phalla game? Go back to ruminating over the "deep" storyline of Oldboy and leave the intrigue to the big kids, slugger.
    (sing-song voice) I know who's getting mobbed fiii-iirst.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    ArdorArdor Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    This sounds like a fun idea Dyna.

As for discussions of gameplay, I would voice that you consider having many specials in the game since it tends to keep people relatively active in the game throughout. Even if you don't want to copy what Kusu/RBB did where everyone was a special in some way, you could have multiple groups of stonecutters for example.

I'm all thumbs when it comes to drawing, I'm afraid I cannot help you out with the illustrator portion.

Ardor on
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    Oh man, here I go...what's a Phalla?

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I've been out of the loop for long enough, I'm in, but on one condition:

Will there be Lesbians in it? Doesn't matter if they're from Mytilene or not. I'm not picky.

Andrew_Jay on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    Oh man, here I go...what's a Phalla?
    Phalla is D&D's take on the Werewolf/Mafia games. Each one has been a bit different.

We had a nice introductory one with 3 vampires run by Tarranon. I was the seer so the Village kicked ass in record time.

We had a Comedic Werewolf & Vampire one run by Richy. The monsters were screwed but it was still funny.

Phalla III/Rishiri was my favorite, with Oni/Demons vs Ninja ravaging a small village. I totally insaned the place up and took me a while to get my legs under me. I was rather punchdrunk when I decided to confide all to Aroduc, the head ninja. Sorry, Rishiri!

Phalla IV...the equivalent of Pod 6.

uh 5? Lovecraftian. It was pretty sweet. I was instakilled of course. But from the grave I was able to PM quite a few monsters right off the bat based solely on my spooky intuition. Stupid monsters eating me.

6 Was Red Scare themed. Run by Kusu and RBB. I didn't partake.

Shinto ran another one, two even, short and quick and mafioso style. Nice break/counterpiece to the Epic Rishiri.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I think I'll throw my hat in for this one. At the very least, it will give me more time to prepare.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Ok...now it's time to get on Gutenberg.org and reread Thucydides.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Hacksaw wrote:
    I think I'll throw my hat in for this one. At the very least, it will give me more time to prepare.
    You will be the Batman of Phalla.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    gundam470gundam470 Drunk Gorilla CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I am also in.

edit: I just realized we aren't even signing up yet. :?

gundam470 on
    gorillaSig.jpg
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited January 2007
    Ardor wrote:

As for discussions of gameplay, I would voice that you consider having many specials in the game since it tends to keep people relatively active in the game throughout. Even if you don't want to copy what Kusu/RBB did where everyone was a special in some way, you could have multiple groups of stonecutters for example.

Yeah, the empirical evidence of the past few games totally supports this.

Oh wait.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Dynagrip wrote:
    Ok...now it's time to get on Gutenberg.org and reread Thucydides.
    The debate about what to do with the rebelling Lesbos will probably be really useful for the players.
    [spoiler:acce3114d2]It's all about following through on a legal obligation to execute them all, or you know, doing the sensible thing and not killing eveyone.[/spoiler:acce3114d2]

Andrew_Jay on
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I, uh, unofficially sign up or whatever.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    most definitely in.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Aroduc wrote:
    Ardor wrote:

Oh wait.

People have to be willing to post and 'expose' themselves to risk in order for participation to exist all the way through. Likewise, player specials have to live long enough to urge networks/bandwagons. If something bad happens (seer eaten, vigs die), new/inactive/lazy players try to keep their heads down by instinct.

The real killer from what I saw is non-voting. Third-last and next-to-last nights of the Sicily game were pitiful (sorry, guys) compared to the New York game, where hand-jiving occurred up until the very end. One night all the specials die, one night most of the mobsters die, then 25% voting...eh.

tuxkamen on

Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Aroduc wrote:
    Ardor wrote:

Oh wait.
    I have no idea what Kusu/RBB did. I'm not going to discuss specifics or specials. There will be specials. Of an indeterminate nature and type and number.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    tuxkamen wrote:
    The real killer from what I saw is non-voting. Third-last and next-to-last nights of the Sicily game were pitiful (sorry, guys) compared to the New York game, where hand-jiving occurred up until the very end. One night all the specials die, one night most of the mobsters die, then 25% voting...eh.
    Voting will be strongly encouraged. Pallas Athena is most wroth with mortals that do not fulfill their civic duties.

200px-

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    saggiosaggio Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Shit, this looks awesome. I'm so in.

saggio on
    3DS: 0232-9436-6893