As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[F2P] Runes of Magic (Chapter 2 coming Sept 2009)

citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizenI'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
edited February 2011 in MMO Extravaganza
runesofmagiclogoyp1.gif

“Runes of Magic” is a fantasy MMORPG (Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game) without monthly costs and free to download. Dive into Taborea, a magical world full of wonders and ancient mysteries. Meet mythical and dangerous creatures and solve the puzzle of the long perished kingdoms.

It's up to you to discover Taborea and write its history!

General Features
  • Free2play: no monthly fees, free to download
  • Regular updates with new content, e.g. classes, races, game modes and much more
  • Extensive dual class system with six primary classes and a selectable secondary class.
  • Versatile spell and attack combinations
  • Over 1000 quests and comprehensive quest series with continuous storyline
  • Integrated into an enthralling background story
  • Freely accessible game world in atmospheric 3D
  • Instanced and persistent dungeons
  • Individually developed skills and spells
  • Armor sets with special bonuses
  • Dynamic item system: Upgrades with hundreds of runes
  • Activatable PvP system (Player vs. Player duels) with arena battles and guild wars
  • Server vs. server PvP
  • Ranking system: ranking lists
  • Mounts: various unique mounts
  • Epic crafting system with the chance to improve existing items
  • Housing from the beginning: personalization of houses through individual furnishing
  • Guild houses in special zones
  • Reputation system
  • Scalable user interface based on the users preference (development of ones own add-ons possible)
  • In-game map and radar system to find dealers, resources and quests easily
  • Auction house: auction off and purchase in-Game items
  • Teleporting possibilities per runes
  • Controlling with mouse (point & click) and/or keyboard (WASD or arrow keys) is possible

Character Classes

There are six primary character classes in RoM. These can be further enhanced by choosing a secondary class later on; much like Guild Wars, your choice of secondary affects how you play your character by providing extra utility.

For information on Dual Class skills, please consult the RoM Wiki linked here, which has a breakdown of the elite skills available and the type of function each class combo provides.

Warrior
The Warrior is your typical armored fighter; Warriors can use all melee weapon types, and can equip shields and any armor except plate. Warriors use Rage to activate special abilities.

Scout
The Scout is a ranged fighter, utilizing bow/crossbow weaponry to fight from a distance. The Scout also has the ability to use small blades if needed. Scouts rely on evasion and leather armor for defense.

Rogue
Rogues utilize stealth, speed, and all-around underhandedness to get the job done. Wearing leather armor and equipped with small bladed weapons, Rogues use sneak attacks and poisons to deal most of their damage.

Mage
Mages wear cloth robes, and obliterate enemies with the power of fire and lightning. There really isn't much else to say here.

Priest
Draped in cloth much like the Mage, the Priest can also carry around a shield while doing his holy work. Priests, as you would expect, are the healer class, casting an array of defensive and restorative magics. Priests also have the ability to defend themselves with Water magic.

Knight
Knights are a defensive class, being the only class able to wear plate armor. Knights can use one or two handed swords and blunt weapons, carry shields, and have a selection of holy spells that allow them to do damage as well as protect themselves and others.

General Screenshots
Knight1.jpg

Mage2.jpg

House6.jpg

Peddlers.jpg

Video Review

This was on Youtube, and I felt it provided a good, basic overview of the game, so I'm including it here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6ar0lnIQCU

Expansion Information

From the website & newsletter:
We are proud to announce Chapter II of Runes of Magic – The Elven Prophecy. During the currently running Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) in Los Angeles Frogster already showed parts of the new content, like the new region “Weeping Coast”.

As the name already suggests, one of the main elements of “Chapter II – The Elven Prophecy” will be the introduction of the Elves as a playable race, coming along with a huge new background story, new regions and many new quests.

According to the legends, demons of human origin – having degenerated into underworld beings under the influence of the runes – forged an alliance with the nagas in ancient times. Together, these evil forces brought war and devastation to the world of Taborea. An alliance of elves and humans succeeded in banishing the demons into the void and drive back the nagas behind a magical wall. However, when elven prince 'Sig’aylas' removed the holy sword 'Arclight' from the wall to defend his human truelove, the wall perished and the naga threat flared up once again.

That is not all, as there will be also two new character classes coming along with Chapter II. These two classes will add in as a perfect addition to the already huge possibilities of the dual class system.

If you are not interested in testing out a new class or race, you don’t have to worry. New challenges await all experienced players in form of challenging dungeons, raid instances as well as new PvP modes. Due to all that new content, the level cap will be raised to level 55 for all characters with “Chapter II – The Elven Prophecy”.

Another new feature will be the pet system for the World of Taborea. Thanks to that feature, you’ll be able to actively train your virtual companions, so that they can help you in future battles.

Who now thinks, that this would be all, is completely wrong, as the ambience of the game will also be enhanced. The new regions in special, but also the old territories will benefit from an improved graphics engine. Sound and Music will also receive improvements by the renowned sound-studio of Dynamedion, to further extend the game experience.

Already in August, we will deliver the first contents of „The Elven Prophecy“, like the new region of „Weeping Coast“ and raise the level cap to level 52 with this addition to the game.

Just as the base version of Runes of Magic and all subsequent updates, we will deliver „Chapter II – The Elven Prophecy“ as a free download.

Release of Chapter II is planned for September in 2009!
Beside new Screenshots you will find a brand new trailer for Chapter II – The Elven Prophecy on our website.

Trailer

pic-27-1-thumb.jpg

(This OP will likely change more as time passes)

citizen059 on

• Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2008
    Does this have any feature at all that sets it apart from other MMOs with which it will share market space?

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • LostLost Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I'm playing, I have a character on the PVE server named Lost. She is a Knight/Priest.

The game is alright so far, but I think it will be much more fun once I can/know what instances I can run.

Lost on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Can't say anything due to the NDA, but I'd like to post my impressions as soon as I can.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Last SonLast Son Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Good lord that looks a lot like DaoC. Not that thats a bad thing, I quite liked the look of Daoc, but I would probably confuse some of those for DaoC if not for the giant "Runes of Magic" banner under them.

Also what money-making scheme are they using? Pay-for weapons, locked advancement, ect.

Last Son on
  • citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I think it's going to be the usual cash shop for "extra" items. They haven't said anything about limiting the experience for anyone who only plays free.

This is from a dev chat at MMORPG.com:
    Question: vinn asks, "Are you planning add equipment buyable via Item Mall - like armors, swords? What sort of items will contain Item Mall. Maybe small example? Like new carpet to house or something like that?"

Kerensky: We are planning to sell furniture for the player housing and materials that help casual players with certain tasks.

Kerensky: There will be no weapons or armour that give paying players any advantages

citizen059 on
  • ZanteZante Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Not trying to sound like a hater, but could those classes be any more generic? The game might as well actually be called "Medieval Quest Online".

Zante on
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Zante wrote: »
    Not trying to sound like a hater, but could those classes be any more generic? The game might as well actually be called "Medieval Quest Online".

The game is called Runes of Magic. They felt the need to let us know in the title that runes are a major feature of this game, and that these are not just any runes, they are magic ones.

It doesn't look as bad as it sounds though.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • aunsophaunsoph Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

I don't know, it's all about the execution... because honestly, up until Death Knights, WoW had extremely generic class themes and did just fine.
    Ok... Warlocks, Druids and Shamans were "sort of" less generic, but not by much.

aunsoph on
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    aunsoph wrote: »
    Ok... Warlocks, Druids and Shamans were "sort of" less generic, but not by much.
    I do find it funny that those three "less generic" classes are the only ones missing from this game!

Also bothered by the wholesale copying of rage for warriors, energy for rogues. Do what it takes to be familiar, and have that chance at gaining some popularity, I guess.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008

I don't know, it's all about the execution... because honestly, up until Death Knights, WoW had extremely generic class themes and did just fine.

I agree, WoW has pretty much shown that generic sells very, very well.

Anoter thing I've learned: RoM is a repackaged, westernized version of Radiant Arcana.

citizen059 on
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    That scout looks dapper.

Aldo on
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2008
    WoW had Blizzard going for it though. Brand recognition through the roof.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    edited November 2008
    Does this have any feature at all that sets it apart from other MMOs with which it will share market space?

This wasn't hating either, it was a serious question.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • KajustaKajusta Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I played a little bit last night and it's not half bad.

Considering it's beta and all.

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
    edited November 2008

The OP listed a lot of features, if you didn't think any of those made the game more interesting than the other ones, then no: it has no features that will set the game apart for you.

Aldo on
    edited November 2008
    There's also the fact that you can take items that you really like visually, keep them, find items the same level with attributes that you like, 'disenchant' them, and put them on the armor that you like.

Here, this video should be in the thread.

watch?v=flcQDfaHIwA
    watch?v=1o3tP0_r0-E

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
    edited November 2008
    Aldo wrote: »

The OP listed a lot of features, if you didn't think any of those made the game more interesting than the other ones, then no: it has no features that will set the game apart for you.

OK, we will take a look at that then.

1. Free2play: no monthly fees, free to download

This is usually not a good sign. Guild Wars does it, but they do it by putting a more graphical interface on what ammounts to battle.net.

2. Regular updates with new content, e.g. classes, races, game modes and much more

This remains to be seen.

3. Extensive dual class system with six primary classes and a selectable secondary class.

FFXI does this, but you have up to 20 primary classes with up to 19 secondary classes. Admittedly that is after 4 expansion packs, but even the game when it was released had... 12 jobs/ support jobs?

4. Versatile spell and attack combinations

This is marketing speak for "We have swords and magic."

5. Over 600 quests and comprehensive quest series with continuous storyline

This is not a possitive or a negative. It rates a "Meh" until additional information is released.

6. Integrated into an enthralling background story

Completely subjective, and lacking in detail about how this story is presented to you. If it is static NPCs which present you with text boxes for their dialog (monolog?) then I am unexcited.

7. Already over 600 quests and level comprehensive quest series on launch

See 5.

8. Freely accessible game world in atmospheric 3D

What does this even mean?

9. Instanced and persistent dungeons

Are they both instanced and persistent? Are some one and some the other? How many are we looking at for each power band at launch? Does the content in them scale to your level?

10. Individually developed skills and spells

Every MMO does this. In FFXI I am sitting on a throwing skill of 18. I really have to work on that one of these days.

11. Armor sets with special bonuses

As an example of armor with set bonuses, I give you the Yigit set.

12. Dynamic item system: Upgrades with hundreds of runes

Socketed gear in WoW?

13. Activatable PvP system (Player vs. Player duels) with arena battles and guild wars

This is the whole thrust of Guild Wars. Is this game going to do it better?

14. Server vs. server PvP

WoW battlegrounds.

15. Ranking system: ranking lists

Guild Wars and WoW.

16. Mounts: various unique mounts

WoW, Vanguard, etc etc.

17. Epic crafting system with the chance to improve existing items

WoW

18. Housing from the beginning: personalization of houses through individual furnishing

Star Wars Galaxies did this quite well. I think Vanguard does decorating housing too, don't know for sure. This may be a plus for me, but once again lacking in specifics.

19. Guild houses in special zones

This tells me that the guild houses exist in a "non space" like most games with guild rooms do it. Also, please tell me there are not hard transision points in game to other areas. If the game world is chopped up into little (or even big) zones I am unexcited. Almost every game does that, and I had hoped by now that we could have permanently moved past the practice.

20. Reputation system

WoW. I would like to say here that Rep Grinds suck. FFXI also has reputation levels, but no where near as bad as WoW.

21. Scalable user interface based on the users preference (development of ones own add-ons possible)

WoW, if by scalable they mean skinable. IF they mean you can just resize the UI elements collectivly or individually then I am not impressed.

22. In-game map and radar system to find dealers, resources and quests easily

WoW.

23. Auction house: auction off and purchase in-Game items

WoW, FFXI.

24. Teleporting possibilities per runes

WoW has you able to teleport to important battle sites, FFXI has you able to teleport to every region in the game.

25. Controlling with mouse (point & click) and/or keyboard (WASD or arrow keys) is possible

Do they do it well? FFXI is a good example of a game where you can use the mouse, but I would rather be shot with a pump action.

Seriously, pretend I am a potential buyer and sell this game to me. Tell me why I should be playing that invisible rogue with the big feet up there instead of a n invisible big-footed rogue in WoW. If your answer is "I can't, everything is still under NDA." then it is too early for this thread.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    edited November 2008
    As it stands now, I can see this game being the game people turn to when they want to have that MMORPG experience, but don't feel like paying for it.

It's got everything you would want in a traditional MMORPG, and from the looks of it (I haven't played it enough, yet) everything seems to be in order. I know that's not really much of a selling point, saying that it's basically an alternative to WoW, but what isn't nowadays?

Also, watch those videos I posted, some of your questions are answered.

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
    edited November 2008
    Wow, that was a drawn out way to say "yeah, nothing about this game interests me"

Aldo on
    edited November 2008
    Which is why I asked for more information. Thanks for the videos by the way, I will finish watching those later.

So so far I have "WoW without the monthly fee, and houses."

If you had to name one thing that was really cool about this game, what would it be?

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    edited November 2008
    Rune system and dynamic instances.

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
    edited November 2008
    Kajusta wrote: »
    Rune system and dynamic instances.

Can you explain why? How does it work, what tickles your fancy?

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    edited November 2008
    Well, I like to look good, and sacrificing looks for a piece of gear with better stats sucks, so that one should be fairly easy to figure out.

I'm more interested in the dynamic instances though, not only because grinding the same instances is really boring, but because along with that comes the opportunity for them to make something great, like maybe dynamic events in the instances. Instances are apparently different each time you go into them, to what extent I don't know, but it should be interesting to find out.

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
    edited November 2008
    Well, I like to look good, and sacrificing looks for a piece of gear with better stats sucks, so that one should be fairly easy to figure out.

I'm more interested in the dynamic instances though, not only because grinding the same instances is really boring, but because along with that comes the opportunity for them to make something great, like maybe dynamic events in the instances. Instances are apparently different each time you go into them, to what extent I don't know, but it should be interesting to find out.
    It worked for Diablo2, so hey who knows? The Asian roots of this game and the whole WoW look have me more worried: WoW is already a grindfest I couldn't stand and chances are this game is worse.

Aldo on
  • HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

It worked for Diablo2, so hey who knows? The Asian roots of this game and the whole WoW look have me more worried: WoW is already a grindfest I couldn't stand and chances are this game is worse.

This is WoW without any of the quest polish that alleviates the grind. You know how WoW gets at level 70 when you've done all the interesting quests and are just bombing your 20 skettis eggs for daily gold? This game feels like this right off the bat, except you don't get to ride a dragon while you do it. Leveling actually seems a bit quicker than WoW, but if you think WoW is a grindfest, don't even consider RoM.

Hevach on
  • MithMith Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I do find it funny that those three "less generic" classes are the only ones missing from this game!

Also bothered by the wholesale copying of rage for warriors, energy for rogues. Do what it takes to be familiar, and have that chance at gaining some popularity, I guess.

There are two question-mark slots in the classes page - not sure I'd speak too soon...

I played this a bit, but NDA yada yada and there's a big patch planned for before open beta. I will say that it at least seems they have a completely free hand to do mechanics changes to suit the audience, and have been trying that out.

Mith on
    edited November 2008
    Hevach wrote: »
    This is WoW without any of the quest polish that alleviates the grind. You know how WoW gets at level 70 when you've done all the interesting quests and are just bombing your 20 skettis eggs for daily gold? This game feels like this right off the bat, except you don't get to ride a dragon while you do it. Leveling actually seems a bit quicker than WoW, but if you think WoW is a grindfest, don't even consider RoM.
    Never played TBC, I was chilling with C'thun until it dawned to me I was spending half my time grinding mats for pots and didn't even earn enough gold for an epic mount.
    *edit: which is to say: I enjoyed the whole raiding thing, but hated everything I had to do to get there. I guess RoM will be a decent free grind mmo.

Aldo on
  • Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Hevach wrote: »
    Never played TBC, I was chilling with C'thun until it dawned to me I was spending half my time grinding mats for pots and didn't even earn enough gold for an epic mount.
    *edit: which is to say: I enjoyed the whole raiding thing, but hated everything I had to do to get there. I guess RoM will be a decent free grind mmo.

They've done a lot to do away with that sort of mat grind. Blizzard made sure to put much less emphasis on consumables in TBC and beyond. Most things that are grind-y now are completely optional (reputations, mats for leveling professions, etc.) .

On topic though, I have to agree with Just_Bri_Thanks. If I'm already paying for an MMO subscription, I don't really see being drawn to Runes of Magic. If I didn't have a WoW sub and several inactive MMO accounts that could be reactivated at a moments notice, I might think RoM was pretty cool, otherwise it just seems like I already do this and I do it all in a game with more polish and a world that I'm very familiar with.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
    edited November 2008
    Good points being brought up all over the place...my response to Bri: So far the entire selling point of this game appears to be the fact that it's an F2P game that has many elements of current P2P titles.

People who already play & enjoy P2P MMO's like WoW, Warhammer, FF, etc. probably won't find anything new here.

I'm of the opinion, though, that F2P MMO's in general are hard to compare to P2P MMO's because the two of them usually draw different audiences.

I didn't find WoW interesting enough to continue to pay for it, I tried it twice for 4 months each. But a WoW-like game where I don't have to pay? Yeah, I can see myself dropping in and out of that whenever I feel like it without feeling obligated to play because of a monthly fee. It's one of the reasons I like Guild Wars.

Rather than comparing it to the more polished P2P games that it shares so much with in terms of gameplay, it's probably a better idea to compare it to other F2P games.

Aldo, have you had a chance to get into this yet? You've probably got more first-hand experience with the F2P's than any of us here, so you'd be the first person I'd look to for a comparison.

citizen059 on
    edited November 2008
    I haven't tried this one out, I've been busy with uni and Atlantica. To be honest the way this game is being promoted and the set of features they have already puts it above roughly 3/4th the games on the free MMO list.

I agree with you that it isn't very useful to compare a free game with games you have to pay for. Although I do think this is often the wish of publishers* it's not what most players are looking for when they install. It's more worthwhile to compare this one to other "big budget" free MMOs like Perfect World, Dungeon Runners, Bounty Bay Online, Atlantica etc.

*see for example Sword of the New World and Dungeon Runners, those games fully expect you to invest monthly into their game to enjoy the full package of content they've got waiting for you.

Aldo on
    edited November 2008
    With a cash shop business model, your only real consideration is to bring more money in on the cash shop than you spend on the game's overhead. There are two ways to do this. You either sell items in the cash shop which are essential to progress int he game (which tends to piss people off) or you do what this game seems to be doing and sell all your customization items in the cash shop.

I feel confidant in saying that most of the game's audience will be resistant at best to spending money in the cash shop. Thankfully, this portion of the audience will be the most transient. Those who spend any amount of money in the cash shop on items that are not consumables will be your core demographic.

I suspect they will run into a problem in that the audience that will buy customization items is not necessarily the same audience that will play pvp-centric games. I hope this proves me wrong. If sales are anemic, development will be the first thing cut back.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Seriously, pretend I am a potential buyer and sell this game to me. Tell me why I should be playing that invisible rogue with the big feet up there instead of a n invisible big-footed rogue in WoW. If your answer is "I can't, everything is still under NDA." then it is too early for this thread.

That it's all those things you mentioned but free. You can't ask for much more when you're paying absolutely jack shit.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited November 2008
    I agree with you on that, but while they are touting their PvP setup, they're not really pushing it as a PvP-centric game.

I never got that kind of vibe from WoW either. I hate to keep bringing WoW up, but I really feel like it's the best comparison, as though they're trying to create a free game in the spirit of WoW.

And, really, if you're trying to bring people in why not start by emulating the top game on the market? As I mentioned before, the F2P audience usually isn't the same group of people who play a lot of P2P's, for various reasons...so if you can create a WoW-like experience for the F2P's, in theory it should be fairly successful.

All of this is speculation at this point, but personally I felt that the game was decent enough to create an OP for so people can try it out and judge for themselves. I'm not going to make ridiculous claims like 'greatest game evar!!1' but it's certainly better than most of the F2P's I've ever tried.

citizen059 on
    edited November 2008
    Oh, there's also a buddy key program going on, or something like that.

If anyone wants a key, I can give you one.

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
    edited November 2008
    Oh, another thing I just noticed while reading through the official site...hidden "combo" attacks, which is probably what they're referencing in #4 on the feature list.

It is important in any case to keep an eye on the interaction of the elements. Every attack is assigned to a hidden element and certain sequences of elements have magical effects. They are quite inconspicuous for short combinations, but the longer the sequence is the more spectacular they become. The mixture of elements on the target is essential and groups of adventurers can work together tactically to generate extra damage and special effects ranging from fear to fields of flames. But first they have to find out which combinations have an effect at all.

So in theory, it'd be something like "Player 1 using Skill A" followed by "Player 2 using Skill B" and "Player 3 using Skill C" results in the entire room suddenly bursting into flames as a result of their combo.

citizen059 on
    edited November 2008
    If you don't mind a serious skeptic playing, I will give it a shot.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    edited November 2008
    That's perfectly fine. I'm no fanboy, I just thought it was a decent game and figured I'd let everyone else know. ;-)

All opinions good and bad are welcome in this thread, so long as people don't get stupid and start fighting about it.

Going to update OP with some more info pulled from the site here in a moment.

citizen059 on
    edited November 2008
    There's some good videos up on youtube like the ones I posted earlier, you should probably put those in there also.

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
    edited November 2008
    There's some good videos up on youtube like the ones I posted earlier, you should probably put those in there also.

Will do.

citizen059 on
    edited November 2008
    Posting the contents of the MMORPG.com dev chat:
    MMORPG_Kunou: Howdy and welcome to MMORPG.com's Live Dev Chat on irc.coldfront.net! I'm your host, MMORPG.com's Community Manager Richard "Kunou" Cox. Joining us today are members of the Runes of Magic dev team!
    advertisement

MMORPG_Kunou: Our guests will do their best to answer as many questions as possible, but due to limited time and a high volume of inquiries, they may not be able to answer every single one. Users are limited to one question at a time, and you will be notified if your question is rejected or discarded. Feel free to add another question to the queue once yours is either asked or rejected.

MMORPG_Kunou: To submit your question, please /msg MMORPGBot yourquestionhere. If your question was deleted, it's probably because someone else asked the same thing first.

MMORPG_Kunou: This room will be moderated during the chat; if you want to talk during the chat, feel free to visit #rom.

MMORPG_Kunou: Now it's time for introductions! Feel free to start sending your questions to MMORPGBot while our guests introduce themselves!

Kerensky: Hi everyone. Good to be here. My name's Jörg "Kerensky" Koonen. I'm the Community Manager for the English speaking "Runes of Magic" community.

Danatros: Hello, I'm Daniel "Danatro" Ullrich the Director Product Management at Frogster Online Gaming. - Nice to be here ;)

MMORPG_Kunou: Ok then, here we go!

Question: flying4torpedo asks, "what kind of crafting skill wil there be ?"

Kerensky: There are 3 gathering skills and 7 crafting skills that allow to "create" - like carpentry and tailoring

Kerensky: You can gather materials and refine them into armour, weapons etc.

Question: vinn asks, "Are you planning add equipment buyable via Item Mall - like armors, swords? What sort of items will contain Item Mall. Maybe small example? Like new carpet to house or something like that?"

Kerensky: We are planning to sell furniture for the player housing and materials that help casual players with certain tasks.

Kerensky: There will be no weapons or armour that give paying players any advantages

Question: russandjenn asks, "When will receive more information about the "Cash Shop" items on how they affect the game and how they will impress us to spend money to keep ROM up and operating?"

MMORPG_Kunou: Just a reminder, to send in questions, please /msg MMORPGBot yourquestionhere. If your question was deleted, it's probably because someone else asked the same thing first.

Kerensky: Like I said: we are still testing a lot of things with the item shop. When these test are finalised, we'll let everyone know. Please understand that we can't pass on any information about something that we are still improving and changing at the moment.

Question: SirDayne asks, "Is there an experience point penalty when your character dies?"

Kerensky: There is a penalty - but you don't lose experience.

Kerensky: You will accumulate debt that you will then need to pay off.

Kerensky: A certain percentage of newly gained experience will go to paying off that debt. - We are still fine-tuning the details here as well.-

Question: sofia asks, "As a person who has never heard of your game up until about 10 minutes ago, describe what your game is, and what you hope to achieve in the next six months with it as far as innovative gaming goes."

Kerensky: "Runes of Magic" is a classic fantasy MMORPG. We are telling a story, it's quest driven

Kerensky: we've got a deep background story, many different themed zones... the main difference is that we don't charge a monthly fee :)

Question: vbathory asks, "will the be any pvp battle grounds in rom like there is in wow?"

Kerensky: There will be battlegrounds in Runes of Magic. But of course I don't want to compare RoM with other games. The battlegrounds will have different pvp-rules.

Question: fumi asks, "how be look pk on PvE server?"

Kerensky: I can't say much about this at the moment, as this is changing. We have had a PK-system that allowed people who flagged themselves "PK" to attack non-PK-flagged players.

Kerensky: This didn't pan out as we wanted it to be - so we are changing the system right now.

Kerensky: There's a good amount of tweaking to be done here.

Question: vinn asks, "How many raid dungeons are you planning to add in Open Beta and how will boss fights looks like? Is there gonna be tactis or simple tank & spank?"

Kerensky: We have two raid dungeons still in development, some dynamic dungeons and open ones in our current beta. But of course we would like to add a couple of others till we go to Open Beta. As you know we are planning large content for quests, pvp and of course pve-raids.

Kerensky: The two above mentioned dungeons will be opened during open beta - which starts early December. (That's the plan.)

Question: Jkooler asks, "Is it true that this MMO will surpass any free2Play MMo out there?"

Kerensky: That's a good question. :)

Kerensky: Of course we want it to be the "next big thing". Runewaker - our developer - are doing their utmost to make RoM the best MMORPG out there

Kerensky: We do need a lot of feedback from the community - the opinion of our players is still valued and we are trying to make the game appeal to as many western players as possible

Kerensky: You can still apply for beta access and join us in open beta - register on runesofmagic.com ^^

Question: CryoCode asks, "will you be able to get epic gear through pvp?"

Kerensky: You will receive epic loot and you will be able to earn some kind of epic material a epic crafter can transform into something very cool.

Kerensky: You can find runes that you can combine and then incorporate into your equipment. So you can customise your stuff any way you want.

Kerensky: That's what we are doing for a couple of months now. We are working closely with Dynamedion. These guys wrote e.g. the soundtrack for 10.000 BC and more. They are writing the music and ambience sounds, some of which is already in the game.

Kerensky: Runewaker is reworking most of the sound effects at the moment. Surely we'll have changed most of the sounds before Open Beta.

Kerensky: Oops.. I seem to have answered a question before it was posted. *blush*

Danatros: Kerensky you are too fast ;)

Kerensky: I can look into the future. :)

Question: Guest1701010664 asks, "Is this a game that is an RP/PVP game? :o"

Kerensky: RP/PvP? Well. If you you mean that PvP is part of the storyline of the game, then yes. But if you are asking whether it a Rp OR PvP game then... well

Kerensky: I can't give you a final answer - it is still work in progress and we keep changing aspects of the game according to the feedback of our players

Question: Shafylus asks, "How old is runes of magic?."

Kerensky: Runewaker is working on Runes of Magic for the last 3 1/2 years. Most of the work was put into the netcode and the engine which is completely self-developed.

Question: sofia asks, "What niche do you hope to fill in the already heaving fantasy MMO market, and how will RoM be different from anything else currently on the market at this moment in time?"

Kerensky: Runewaker has put a lot of effort into the game. They themselves are avid gamers and have taken a lot of great ideas...

Kerensky: ...and improved them. We hope that - if you guys give it a try and like it - RoM will not be a niche game.

Question: airado asks, "Will the lvl cap be higher"

Kerensky: There are no plans to raise the level cap yet. The max. level is 50.

Question: SirDayne asks, "What will you do to combat botters/cheaters?"

Kerensky: There are many safety measures implemented by Runewaker - so potential botters and cheaters should have a hard time.

Kerensky: Should somebody try to exploit bugs or anything like that, we will be banning accounts in no time.

Kerensky: (Hope that

Kerensky: ... is phrased right :)

Kerensky: We have seen botters and cheaters in many games ourselves and we are as disgusted by this as our players would be

Kerensky: As Danatross comments: Runewaker developed a lot of the game server-based. So if you would like to hack the client, you will not receive any efforts because the server itself will block your hacked client. Many games need tools like punkbuster or other cheat-protection. Any tests concerning the cheat and hack topic have been finished with a goal for the developers.

Question: WongHungLo asks, "Is there an official open beta release date? We've heard Dec. 9th, 16th, and 31st from various sources."

Kerensky: Yes... there has been some confusion in the past.

Kerensky: We are aiming to open the beta test to all registered users as early as possible.

Kerensky: The initial plan was to release in the first or second week of December but Runewaker has added a lot of new content and we want to have that in the game when we go "open"

Question: Guest6150 asks, "Will RoM be regular updated with new quests regarding the background story?"

Kerensky: Yes. We are already scheduling monthly (smaller) updates - there will be new dungeons, quests or maybe just stuff for the shop.

Kerensky: And we are planning for quaterly add-ons - which then will add a significant amount out new stuff and content. This might be new races, zones or such.

Kerensky: We will announce more at a later date because right now we want to release the game first. ;)

Question: vinn asks, "What sort of PvP content are you planning to add? Arenas? BG's? We know, that there will be Server vs Server PvP -- could you tell us something more? How often SvS will be? Will there be any PvP Armor Sets?"

Kerensky: Runes of Magic will have a lot of PvP modes: Open PvP, PvP Zones, Arena fights, open guild vs. guild, instanced guild vs. guild, reputation pvp, battlegrounds, castle sieges and server vs. server vs. server.

Kerensky: We will not be able to release all these pvp modes right in or shortly after the Open Beta but we'll add more and more PvP content like with any other content too.

Question: Affebaffe asks, "are you guys going to improve the pvp/pk system, because I saw on the forums that alot people didn't liked it that much"

Kerensky: I think I answered that before. Yes. This is something that is being worked on as we speak. :)

Question: Darkcloak asks, "What will the end game look like, will there be anything to do after you reach the level cap, raids, "epic" items, community events and such."

Kerensky: Yes.

Kerensky: No... /jk

Kerensky: We have already planned for community events and such. Of course the quartely updates will give you new things to do, new content to explore and of course there will be enough endgame.

Question: jkooler asks, "When are you planing to realease RoM?"

Kerensky: We cant' give a specific date yet. We are looking forward to gather much more player feedback in the open beta.

Kerensky: As I said before: runewaker and we want to make a very good - if not the best - game that appeals to many people.

Question: MMORPG_VPellen asks, "From what I gathered from some really, REALLY base research, Runes of Magic is a .. localization? Of a Chinese MMO called Radiant Arcana. My question(s) is/are: How independant is the ROM team in regards to development? Do you have free reign to develop content specific to the English versions, or is the primary concern of the ROM team simply translation and porting?"

Kerensky: Runes of Magic is _based on_ Radiant Arcana. After Frogster and RuneWaker met for the first time and talked about the US and European player community, we decided to do something like a "spin-off" and develop a second "western" version of the game. Radiant Arcana is targetted at the asian players and one is Runes of Magic for all western players.

Question: maxxie asks, "What is the most difficult ? Being Englsh CM in Germany or German CC in England ?"

Kerensky: :)

Kerensky: Someone knows my past, right?

Kerensky: To be honest: It was harder being a German CC in England - you know... the food and such...

Kerensky: But having worked there for 3 1/2 years I have grown fond of my friends and former colleagues there - so the hardest part was _leaving_ England :)

Kerensky: I would say both things have their merits. :)

Question: Emill asks, "how about other coputer systems? would you consider of making linux version of RoM, if game gain popularity?"

Kerensky: We are still talking with possible partners for building a Linux and Mac version. This too is work in progress and we will have to see how the demand is, once we are in open beta

Kerensky: jep

Question: kelkin asks, "Is the environment RP Freedly or is it more geared to Hack / Slash?"

MMORPG_Kunou: Ok folks, 3 more questions after this one!

Kerensky: "RP-friendly" is always what players make of it.

Kerensky: I can't really see that RoM is "unfriendly". There are fights against Mobs and even other players but we also have taverns, player housing and many places that Roleplayers might appreciate.

Question: fumi asks, "I heard about fight like server vs. server. How do it work?"

Kerensky: It's "Server vs. server vs. server" - so there are players from 3 servers fighting each other

Kerensky: There will be a map that players from these three servers can capture certain areas and have to defend them against the others.

Kerensky: Once they control a certain area they can then e.g. mine special ressources there which then in turn will help them craft epic items

Question: russandjenn asks, "Will soloing be viable to the cap and if so will there be any dungeons that will allow soloing content?"

MMORPG_Kunou: one more after this one folks!

Kerensky: It is possible. But as this is a Massively Multiplayer game, there is more content suitable for parties.

Kerensky: many epic and boss mobs are not really soloable until you outleveled them a fair bit. :)

Question: popalx asks, "Will there be voice chat in the game ?"

Kerensky: It is not yet implemented but again it is something that Frogster and Runewaker certainly want to implement.

Kerensky: Here again we are talking to potential partners to put this feature into the game.

MMORPG_Kunou: This concludes the MMORPG.com Runes of Magic Dev Chat! Thank you Kerensky and Danatros for your wonderful time and expertise! Thank you Coldfront for hosting us! And thank you everyone for joining us! Logs will be posted on MMORPG.com asap.

Kerensky: Thank you Kunou and the staff of MMORPG.com for this great opportunity. And thank you all for your questions and your time!

Kerensky: Please don't stop sending emails, private messages and creating board threads with you opinion. Maybe sometimes it seems that we won't answer or give you a standard answer but we are really accepting feedback, critic and even commandations ;) We definitely read the board and every incomming ticket. And of course, we really need your opinion to improve Runes of Magic and making it to a really good game. So we would like to thank ever

MMORPG_VPellen: "don't stop sending emails, private messages and creating board threads with you opinion."

MMORPG_VPellen: Be careful what you wish for~

Kerensky: yone .)

Danatros: ;) Kerensky can handle it ;) Thank you very much guys .. hope to see you ingame ^^

citizen059 on