As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

24 - Day 8 [IT IS FINISHED]

Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great!Houston, TXRegistered User regular
Breaking News

The Eighth Season of 24 will be its last, as the show has been cancelled. However, it is now heading to the big screen!

---

Who's coming back to television for another round of ethical dilemmas and killing terrorists?

JACK BAUER, THAT'S WHO.

So, Season 8 is here. The premiere is Sunday, January 17th on FOX. Notable changes include:
  • Jack is a Grandpa now
  • CTU is back and better than ever
  • Takes place in New York
  • STARBUCK

Some things that aren't likely to change:
  • Terrorists will be killed
  • Dudes will get tortured
  • CTU will have a mole
  • TELL ME WHERE THE BOMB IS THERE'S NO TIME

And here is the obligatory trailer to pique your interest:

[URL=""]Season 8 Promo[/URL]

There's a pretty good chance that this will be the final season of 24, with the saga wrapping up in a feature-length movie at some point in the near future. Let's all hope they go out with a bang.

As far as spoilers go, I used to be really anal about using spoiler tags, but I've come around to agree with the people who think they're more trouble than they're worth. Bottom line, if people are in here reading this thread and you haven't watched the most recent episode, don't expect everything to be wrapped in spoiler tags. My only request is that, if you have any information beyond pure speculation for future episodes, please put them in spoiler tags and label them as such. Otherwise, don't worry about using them.

Original Season 7 OP:
[URL=""]24 Game from Japan[/URL]

[IMG][/img]He's so dreamy...

What is 24? And what is this "Redemption" thing?

Stolen from Wikipedia:
24 is an American action-drama television show. Broadcast by Fox in the United States and syndicated worldwide, the show first aired on November 6, 2001, with an initial 13 episodes (the next 11 episodes were later ordered). The first six seasons were all centered around the Los Angeles branch of the U.S. government Counter Terrorist Unit (CTU).

24 is presented in real time, with each season depicting a 24-hour period in the life of Jack Bauer, who works with the U.S. government as it fights domestic threats. Bauer is often in the field for the Los Angeles Counter Terrorist Unit as they try to safeguard the nation from terrorist threats. The show also follows the actions of other CTU agents, government officials and terrorists associated with the plot. The first six seasons of the show were all based in Los Angeles and nearby locations — both real and fictional — in California, although occasionally other locations have been featured as well — most notably, Washington, D.C., where a notable portion of the episodes took place during the fourth and sixth seasons. Promotional materials for the seventh season have already established that, departing from tradition, it will be set primarily in Washington, D.C.
24: Redemption is a Golden Globe nominated television movie that bridges the gap between the sixth and seventh seasons of the TV series 24. The narrative in the episode takes place during a presidential inauguration and is split between the fictional African nation Sangala and the United States: in Sangala, Jack Bauer finds himself caught up in a military coup while trying to find a place where he can 'be at peace'; and in the United States, where President-elect Allison Taylor is being sworn in to office. The movie takes place in real-time, covering two hours, 3:00 to 5:00 PM, local time.

Why should I care?

Finally, after a loooong wait, the bloodbath begins once again. For those who haven't been keeping up, the last season of 24 (season 6) ended way back in May of 2007. Season 7 was scheduled to premiere at the beginning of 2008 as usual, but that darn writers strike put things on hold. Since it was unknown at the time how long the strike would last, and because they wanted to follow the tradition of airing the entire season straight through with no breaks from January to May, the decision was made to postpone the entire season until January 2009. However, because of the long break between seasons, we were given 24: Redemption in order to tide us over until January. But fear not, the new season is finally here!

You didn't answer my question, jerk.

You should care because 24 is only the greatest show about torturing freedom-hating foreigners ever! Okay, there's more to it than that, but let's be honest here, that's what we watch it for. It also has complex (if sometimes nonsensical) plots, an interesting story structure, fun characters, and can be highly addictive. It's hard to explain what makes this show so great, so the best thing you can do is to rent the first season some time and burn through it over a weekend. Only then will you understand.

But I've never watched 24 before, I won't know what's going on.

Not true. Yes, you won't get every little reference in the show, but now's a great time to jump in. After the somewhat lackluster Season 6, the show is undergoing somewhat of a "reboot" for Season 7 and Redemption. If you've ever wanted to watch but were intimidated by the serial nature of the show, you should give it a try.

Don't tell me what to do.

That's a great question! Redemption aired on Sunday November 23, 2008, and the DVD is available in stores now. Season 7 begins in January on the [URL=""]FOX[/URL] network. See their website for more info on dates and times when it premieres in your country.

Alright fine, I'll watch, but I'll have to Tivo it for later. I'd better not get spoiled in here before I get to watch it.

Good call. The Spoiler Policy in this thread will be:
  • Everything from Season 1-6 will not require spoilers. It's been over a year, it's fair game.
  • Discussion of Redemption and Season 7 require a spoiler tag.
  • Spoilers for future episodes should also have a label saying as much.

And to wrap it up, here are trailers for both Redemption and for Season 7!

[URL=""]24: Redemption[/URL]

[URL=""]Season 7[/URL]
So help me God I will kill you, and you will stay dead this time!

Steam | Twitch
Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
Big Dookie on

• tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Waiting for this to come on PST.

tofu on
  • TaximesTaximes Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Hmm...I thought I'd fallen behind on 24 because I stopped watching during the end of Season 6, but since it's been on hiatus I guess that only means I've missed a few episodes. Maybe I can give it another chance with this season. D:

Yeah...once the terrorist plot was mostly resolved in Season 6, and it looked like the Audrey plot was all that was left for the last 5-6 episodes, I stopped watching. :P

Taximes on
  • Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Yeah, you didn't miss much. I can barely remember what happened, except that it was dumb.

Season 6 really sucked overall. Despite that, I have high hopes for Season 7.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Having watched tonight's episode, I approve and further wish that Far Cry 2 be rewritten to match the plot of tonight's show.

citizen059 on
  • oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I missed the early showing of tonight's episode, but thanks to this thread I can catch the west coast feed. I can't wait!

oldmanken on
  • Spacehog85Spacehog85 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    citizen059 wrote: »
    Having watched tonight's episode, I approve and further wish that Far Cry 2 be rewritten to match the plot of tonight's show.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought that while watching.

Spacehog85 on
  • Ethan SmithEthan Smith Origin name: Beart4to Arlington, VARegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    FUCK I MISSED IT.

Ethan Smith on
  • dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    shhh quiet it just started for us PST people

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Our DVR broke last night, and we had people over tonight. So yea, I missed it. D:

Just going to buy it on Tuesday, anyway. :P

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • msuitepyonmsuitepyon Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I loved it. Torture, explosions, shooting... Everything I could ask for.

msuitepyon on
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Oh fuck yes I forgot about this.

The Writer's Guild could only hold Jack Bauer back for so long...it's fucking on now, bitches!
    I won't be watching it until Tuesday, though.

mcdermott on
    edited November 2008
    hahahahah i like it when people try to torture bauer, silly rebels, the man has survived the chinese, jack bauer laughs at your burning machete

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    hahahahah i like it when people try to torture bauer, silly rebels, the man has survived the chinese, jack bauer laughs at your burning machete
    Yeah. When Jack got captured I said "He's got them right where he wants them!" Jack always defeats the rest of them after he's been captured.

Sarksus on
  • CantideCantide Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    Yeah, these guys were pretty stupid. First they didn't realize that Jack Bauer is impervious to bullets, and then they didn't even know that torture only makes him stronger.

Cantide on
    edited November 2008
    why is he so badass

dammit jack i dont know how to quit you
    bah this show is like crack

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
    edited November 2008
    The action was alright I guess, but it hasn't done anything to convince me that they're going to do better any better than last season.

tofu on
  • SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Has he
    bitten anyone's throat out yet?

I'm so glad it's back on!

Senshi on
  • msuitepyonmsuitepyon Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Senshi wrote: »
    Has he

He hasn't done that... yet...

However...
    He broke some dude's neck with his legs while his arms were tied up.

msuitepyon on
  • Zephyr_FateZephyr_Fate Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I haven't watched 24 in like three years but I accidentally watched a lot of this and I liked it. I didn't understand any backstory but it was pretty entertaining

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I am secure enough in my sexuality to say that I have a man-crush on Jack Bauer.

Inquisitor77 on
  • Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    msuitepyon wrote: »
    Senshi wrote: »
    Has he

He hasn't done that... yet...

However...
    He broke some dude's neck with his legs while his arms were tied up.
    Like Riggs? As much as I love JB he is essentially Riggs without the lolz

:wink:

Venkman90 on
  • Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Shit uh. I missed this.

And am in the US.

Anyway to catch it somehow?

Lucky Cynic on
  • citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    It comes out on DVD tomorrow I think.

citizen059 on
  • IriahIriah Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Is it just me or do they reboot 24 every season?

Iriah on
  • Richard_DastardlyRichard_Dastardly Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Shit uh. I missed this.

And am in the US.

Anyway to catch it somehow?

You could try Hulu, or maybe one of the unmentionables.

Or you can buy the DVD when it comes out next week.

I was a bit confused...
    When Jack got on the helicopter, I was thinking, "Shit. He's gonna spend half the season flying in a goddamn plane back to the States. WTF, Fox? Then I realized the clock didn't start with this episode.

Still, fuck you Fox for teasing us and then making us wait nearly two months for the season to start.

Richard_Dastardly on
  • Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I was going to watch this but my work had me work last night and I was all like

DAMNIT THERE'S NO TIME!

And then they told me I'd be fired if I didn't and I was like

DAMNIT I'LL BE RIGHT THERE!

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I am secure enough in my sexuality to say that I have a man-crush on Jack Bauer.

People who don't have man crushes on Jack Bauer are weird, and shouldn't be allowed to marry, especially not in California.

Too soon?

Anyway, I liked Redemption, and look forward to the new season.

Also; odd regarding Redemption's last seconds:
    They had a "silent clock" for the end of the episode, which I could swear is usually reserved for particularly poignant moments. Sure, Jack being taken back is notable, but not "his wife's death" notable. I think it's shown up at least once sort of out of the blue, but last I checked Wikipedia, they've only done it like 4 or 5 times, and it's usually after something particularly tragic or important happens.

I guess Jack being taken back is it, but it seemed a little low key.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Forar wrote: »

People who don't have man crushes on Jack Bauer are weird, and shouldn't be allowed to marry, especially not in California.

Too soon?

They had a "silent clock" for the end of the episode, which I could swear is usually reserved for particularly poignant moments. Sure, Jack being taken back is notable, but not "his wife's death" notable. I think it's shown up at least once sort of out of the blue, but last I checked Wikipedia, they've only done it like 4 or 5 times, and it's usually after something particularly tragic or important happens.

They do it for character deaths as well, and there were a couple of those.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Yeah. Started watching this and I just couldn't get into it.

It's not mandatory viewing for the next season, I hope.

Jragghen on
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Preacher wrote: »
    Forar wrote: »

Too soon?

They do it for character deaths as well, and there were a couple of those.

I was so pissed when Tony didn't get a silent clock.

We don't have to spoil former season stuff, do we?

Jragghen on
  • WetsunWetsun Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    But,

S7 trailer spoilers
    tony isn't dead so it's okay now

Wetsun on
    XBL/Steam: Wetsun
    edited November 2008
    Wetsun wrote: »
    But,

S7 trailer spoilers
    tony isn't dead so it's okay now

I keep hoping.

Tony is just deep cover and is actually still a good guy, he was the best character on the show! Outside of bauer.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Jragghen wrote: »
    I was so pissed when Tony didn't get a silent clock.

We don't have to spoil former season stuff, do we?

According to the OP, no. Even countries far behind the official releases should've had Season 1-6 by now, or at least plenty of time to get the DVD's.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I've seen them do silent clocks for all sorts of shit. I was watching the first season a few weeks ago and they pulled out a silent clock while Terry was walking away from the car crash. I am pretty sure this is when it happened. Were they just trying to fool us then?

Sarksus on
    edited November 2008
    Sarksus wrote: »
    I've seen them do silent clocks for all sorts of shit. I was watching the first season a few weeks ago and they pulled out a silent clock while Terry was walking away from the car crash. I am pretty sure this is when it happened. Were they just trying to fool us then?

The only silent clock in season 1 is at the end, when Jack finds Teri.

I think every season has one silent clock but I can't be completely sure.

tofu on
  • WetsunWetsun Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    tofu wrote: »
    Sarksus wrote: »

The only silent clock in season 1 is at the end, when Jack finds Teri.

I think every season has one silent clock but I can't be completely sure.

http://24.wikia.com/wiki/Silent_clock

Wetsun on
    XBL/Steam: Wetsun
  • Saint JusticeSaint Justice Mercenary Mah-vel Baybee!!!Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    It was pretty good, but it took a while to hit its stride. Definitely looking forward to season 7.

Saint Justice on
    Some people play tennis, I erode the human soul. ~ Tycho
  • APZonerunnerAPZonerunner Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Looking forward to season 7, but this still just felt... weak in places. I'm worried the show is past it's best, but I hope for day 7 to prove me wrong.

APZonerunner on
    APZonerunner | RPG Site | UFFSite | The Gaming Vault
    XBL/PSN/Steam: APZonerunner
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Just finished watching. Some parts annoyed me a bit, but I am definitely pumped for January.

Fucking January. :(
    Did Carl really have to die? Can they please keep a guest character alive for more than a couple hours? Because really, some decent characters have been killed off for no real good reason (the bank manager in season 5, for instance).

Edit: Season 7 preview
    WTF Tony. Also, the new FBI chick is hot, but the rest of the office is a bunch of dorks. :P

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    edited November 2008
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Just finished watching. Some parts annoyed me a bit, but I am definitely pumped for January.

Fucking January. :(
    Did Carl really have to die? Can they please keep a guest character alive for more than a couple hours? Because really, some decent characters have been killed off for no real good reason (the bank manager in season 5, for instance).

It's the 24 way, no one lives ever. You're a guest star you know you have an expiration date, either you're a traitor or random victim.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net