As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

N+ : PSP or DS?

DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
edited November 2008 in Games and Technology
I'm feeling a bit masochistic, and I want to get some portable ninja platforming on. But I don't know which version of N+ to buy! I have both a DS and a PSP, and both versions are $20. Do any of you know how they differ? Is one supposed to be much better than the other? I know that for a lot of multi-platform games there is a clear winner between the two (Disgaea on the PSP and arguably Space Invaders Extreme on the DS, for example), but is N+ one of those cases?

Signature not found.
DeathPrawn on

• Options
    ShoeShoe Registered User new member
    edited November 2008
    Found this on gamespot explaining the differences:

"The DS version is cleaner, significantly easier, and optimized for play on the dual screens. The PSP version has the best graphics ever seen in an N+ game, but suffers from long load times, frame rate dips, and less precise controls. While each platform has its own set of levels, the PSP version is definitely more of a challenge for those who have previous N+ experience. Only in the later levels, does the DS version tax those who played other versions. Regardless of the version, the levels are the perfect size for playing on the go."

I'd go with the DS version, but that's just me.

Shoe on
  • Options
    Dareth RamDareth Ram regular
    edited November 2008
    I'm always in favor of inflating my humongous DS library.

Dareth Ram on
  • Options
    McClyMcCly Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I like the DS version way better. Two screens are helpful in certain maps, and the PSP one has pretty bad motion blur.

McCly on
    kbellchewiesig.jpg
  • Options
    GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Never played the PSP version, but N+ is great on the DS.

Graviija on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So there's actually three distinct sequels to N, then? Awesome.

jothki on
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I'm thoroughly enjoying the DS version too, it keeps me entertained on the train in to work on the morning (and causes people to look at me when I start swearing).

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    DukiDuki Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The DS one is really fun, it's so damn fast just to turn on and bam you're playing.

Duki on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    My only complaint with the DS one is that the 'only save after completing a full episode' can get a tad annoying in the later true bastard levels. Sleep mode makes it not too big an issue but I did have to leave my DS going over a number of days sometimes.

I'd imagine the same issue is in the PSP version but without the benefit of sleep mode now I come to think of it. So maybe this is a plus point to the DS version?

Anyway, as far as gameplay goes, DS = :^:

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Man, I am still not even done with the PC version of N.

But I did once create a thread here about games you wish would be on XBLA. The one I used in the OP was N.

Then nobody posted in the thread and it got locked I think.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    ginguskahnginguskahn Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Man, I am still not even done with the PC version of N.

But I did once create a thread here about games you wish would be on XBLA. The one I used in the OP was N.

Then nobody posted in the thread and it got locked I think.

But N came to XBLA, so you did something right.

ginguskahn on
    ginguskahn360.png
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    My only complaint with the DS one is that the 'only save after completing a full episode' can get a tad annoying in the later true bastard levels. Sleep mode makes it not too big an issue but I did have to leave my DS going over a number of days sometimes.

I'd imagine the same issue is in the PSP version but without the benefit of sleep mode now I come to think of it. So maybe this is a plus point to the DS version?

The PSP does have a sleep mode. You activate it by flicking the power switch instead of holding it.

Honestly I think it just comes down to which device's controls you prefer. That's the only thing that's hugely important in N+.

Do either support downloadable levels?

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Willeth wrote: »

The PSP does have a sleep mode. You activate it by flicking the power switch instead of holding it.

Honestly I think it just comes down to which device's controls you prefer. That's the only thing that's hugely important in N+.

Do either support downloadable levels?

I stand corrected on my lack of PSP knowledge.

DS has both level editor and downloadable user created levels.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    NatheoNatheo Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    In my experience with both, I prefer the psp. The view on the ds one is nice and all, but it seems like the bottom screen is just too zoomed in, even though it's nice to have to top screen with an overall view of the level. That was probably incoherent. Oh well.

Natheo on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I only have the psp version, (does have sleep, same save at end of episode scheme, does have downloadable levels and editor)

The controls play well I've never noticed any frame rate dips except for maybe when I die and my body gets exploded everywhere. Just get it for whatever system you prefer.

(I got it for my psp instead of DS since I have custom firmware on my psp so its more convenient, I also like the psp better for games that primarily d-pad and button based. I choose stuff for the DS if it makes good use of stylus, or if the dual screen setup is better than the one big screen, which I don't think is the case here)

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    In regards to the DS version,

how the hell are you supposed to pass that level that's shaped like a gigantic heart? No matter what I do it seems like I never have enough momentum to clear the mines.

freakish light on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Get the DS version...the two screens help alot.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Rigor MortisRigor Mortis Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    They're different games.

Get both

Rigor Mortis on