As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Surfin' the [Chat]way

1303132333436»

• GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Dunadan019 wrote: »
    Alecthar wrote: »
    Woodcutting is actually quite a good idea, especially if you can find some that someone's trying to get rid of for some reason.

my friend buys land (probably not any more) and then cuts down the sought after trees on it and sells them to lumber companies. at the same time he clears the land in a specific area for firewood and sells that to people. then he resells the land for profit since it is now 'developed'.

Personally accelerating deforestation is something to be proud of. Even the logging and paper industries replant their trees now, the bunch of fucking pissant hippies. It's like they think they'll be out of work when there's no trees left or some pinko nonsense like that.

you should stop breathing so that you emit less carbon dioxide. after all, GLOBAL WARMING!

the amount of trees he cuts down is a pitance compared to logging companies, im talking about 100 trees on a 100 acre... forrest.
    Still 100 trees. With this, you really can't get into relativism.

Best way to go is to note the types of the 100 trees, buy those, find a place for them, replant. (It's important you note what kind of trees are getting cut. A lot of the tree farms the logging and paper people use are single-species, which doesn't really help the cause.)

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    But if you want to go the CO2 route, I'd have to breathe an awful lot to measure up to the output of the trucks needed to move the lumber.

ViolentChemistry on
  • DmanDman Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    But if you want to go the CO2 route, I'd have to breathe an awful lot to measure up to the output of the trucks needed to move the lumber.

Those phone calls with the heavy breathing...

That's you isn't it?

Isn't it!!?!?!

Dman on
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Well, deed is done. Play-Doh on its way to a Child's Play hospital.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Howdy.

Cutting down trees and building houses on 'em is a great way to fight the war against the Animal Kingdom. With every bit of nature we destruct we get one step closer to world domination.

Aldo on
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Aldo wrote: »
    Howdy.

Cutting down trees and building houses on 'em is a great way to fight the war against the Animal Kingdom. With every bit of nature we destruct we get one step closer to world domination.

That'll teach those asshole squirrels

nexuscrawler on
  • Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Gosling wrote: »
    Woodcutting is actually quite a good idea, especially if you can find some that someone's trying to get rid of for some reason.

my friend buys land (probably not any more) and then cuts down the sought after trees on it and sells them to lumber companies. at the same time he clears the land in a specific area for firewood and sells that to people. then he resells the land for profit since it is now 'developed'.

Personally accelerating deforestation is something to be proud of. Even the logging and paper industries replant their trees now, the bunch of fucking pissant hippies. It's like they think they'll be out of work when there's no trees left or some pinko nonsense like that.

you should stop breathing so that you emit less carbon dioxide. after all, GLOBAL WARMING!

the amount of trees he cuts down is a pitance compared to logging companies, im talking about 100 trees on a 100 acre... forrest.

Best way to go is to note the types of the 100 trees, buy those, find a place for them, replant. (It's important you note what kind of trees are getting cut. A lot of the tree farms the logging and paper people use are single-species, which doesn't really help the cause.)

the point of cutting them down is to sell them because they are sought after species. its called selective logging.

the point of clearing a section for firewood is to make room for someone to build a house.

so unless you are advocating everyone living in a tree house i dont see your point.

also the 200 or so trees a year he takes is nothing compared to the 11 billion cut down a year worldwide.

Dunadan019 on
  • MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    srsly who thought squirrels were a good idea

MikeMan on
    edited November 2008
    The Awesome is an awesome mech.

ViolentChemistry on
    edited November 2008
    MikeMan wrote: »
    srsly who thought squirrels were a good idea

Dude those things are so funny.

ViolentChemistry on
  • GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The marijuana thread is pretty hilarious. Good show, D&D.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    There are so many bloody squirrels on my college campus.

It's like a barrage of adorable.

Inquisitor on
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Inquisitor wrote: »

There's so much rain and snow and ice and raining ice on my college campus.

It's like a barrage of extra depression.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
    edited November 2008

My campus had squirrels and kitties. The squirrels were pretty used to people and would run right up to you and even eat something out of your hand if you were lucky. The cats were well cared for by the university and were very friendly as well.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Brucelee41042Brucelee41042 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

I go down to UK to visit my friends, and dear god, the squirrels are like dogs. They come up to you, jump in your lap and beg for food.

Brucelee41042 on
    edited November 2008
    When I dormed up in Sonoma we had a kitty walk into our dorm and we adopted it covertly for a while. Was so cute.

Inquisitor on
    edited November 2008
    But yeah the squirrels here are similarly domesticated. It's even become an unofficial mascot because they're black squirrels which are for the most part disgusting freaks of nature.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
    edited November 2008

the point of cutting them down is to sell them because they are sought after species. its called selective logging.

the point of clearing a section for firewood is to make room for someone to build a house.

so unless you are advocating everyone living in a tree house i dont see your point.

also the 200 or so trees a year he takes is nothing compared to the 11 billion cut down a year worldwide.
    As long as the trees are replaced, regardless of the number, we're good.

Gosling on
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited November 2008
    Guiniforte Solari, 1429.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
    edited November 2008
    But yeah the squirrels here are similarly domesticated. It's even become an unofficial mascot because they're black squirrels which are for the most part disgusting freaks of nature.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Squirrel

See?

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
    edited November 2008
    Come on you wankers sign up for the shadowrun phalla, we need 11 more. It's in critical failures.

Inquisitor on
    edited November 2008

See?

I take it you go to Kent, Ohio then? Also they are adorable.

Inquisitor on
    edited November 2008
    ya-chow

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
    edited November 2008

See?

I take it you go to Kent, Ohio then? Also they are adorable.

Yeah. Kent State University. . .

we like to burn ROTC buildings.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
    edited November 2008
    Elki wrote: »
    Guiniforte Solari, 1429.

You know you should really just link to the wiki for these random names you grab, to satiate the curious.

Inquisitor on
    edited November 2008
    Can't. Black Friday is forthcoming and I work in retail. I will soon be spending most of my non-shopping time frantically trying to regain the use of my legs in time for work.

Plus, you know, the shopping I have to do myself.

Gosling on
  • Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    As long as the trees are replaced, regardless of the number, we're good.

ill make sure he does that...

Dunadan019 on
    edited November 2008

Yeah, but who doesn't?

Inquisitor on
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

You don't need to clearcut a lot in order to fit a home on it, and the broadacre city model is beyond unsustainable.

moniker on
    edited November 2008

Yeah, but who doesn't?

the people who got shot.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Why won't the pot thread die?

Gorilla Salad on
    edited November 2008
    why won't this thread lock?

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
    edited November 2008
    Do you know the Muffin Man?

Gosling on
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited November 2008
    Elki wrote: »
    Guiniforte Solari, 1429.

You know you should really just link to the wiki for these random names you grab, to satiate the curious.

Probably.

20031226h.jpg
    Tycho wrote:
    I just don't have the mechanisms to interface with normal people, and every family visit just emphasizes the fact. I just referred to my mother-in-law as "The beast spoken of in Revelations." This stuff just comes out, and I don't know how to get it back in.

We now return to the 75th Annual We're Right Awards.

# 6. Mario Kart: Double Dash

We finally had a chance to play eight players, two to a kart, and there's simply nothing else like it in the entire continuum of our passtime. A cooperative racing game simple in concept and pure in execution, the game is so intense race after race that it is actually physically exhausting. Nintendo makes it hard to defend them at times, when their sparkling first-party titles slow to a trickle and they make what seem like backward decisions regarding online play. I certainly don't want to give Nintendo credit for something they didn't mean to do, but play Mario Kart: Double Dash with a group of friends, together, and tell me they don't have a point.

# 5. Final Fantasy Tactics Advance

Strange as it is, the GameBoy Advance is becoming the go-to system for satisfying tactical combat. You could amuse yourself practically anywhere with the beloved Advance Wars series, tuck in for something with a little more meat in Tactics Ogre, or wile away the hours with Fire Emblem's balanced weapons and political intrigue. Final Fantasy Tactics Advance stands above, combining depth and accesibility with a light story and SquareEnix production values for an accomplished tactical game, a remarkable portable experience, and a great sequel.

# 4. Soul Calibur 2

What's to say, really. What seems at first glance like a stock retelling of the Dreamcast classic unfolds like some origami creature into strange dimensions, revealing itself as subtle, elegant, and modern. It ruled our life for months, first at import and then again for domestic, and it is seeing yet another resurgence. Some games are classics the second you pop them in the tray - Soul Calibur 2 will grace televisions for years to come.

Now that it's the twenty sixth and all Christmas mysteries have been revealed, it's time to go back to being anti-social. Perhaps you're stuck at the parents' house, as I am, forced to make due with an ancient Dell possibly unearthed in an archeological dig. What you need are lean games that will forgive older hardware and wear the rough edges off family misery.

In this regard, Addicting Games can absorb as much time as you need it to. Of course, Popcap has ever been our truehearted companion - their recent Rocket Mania (web or download version) can do the job, but the even more recent Zuma is almost perfectly equipped for zero-commitment, time-wasting duty. Breaking as it does into a market saturated with Mayan-themed puzzle games featuring stone amphibians, perhaps its mixture of Bust-A-Move and Marbles will help it stand out.

Here's the one that might keep you up at night: Star Chamber. If you enjoyed games like Galactic Civilizations or Master Of Orion (X), star empire type stuff, I have a feeling you will be reasonably intrigued if not seized abruptly, filled with glistening eggs as Star Chamber clutches you in the dark.

I read Bruce Geryk's passionate review of Star Chamber late one night, downloaded it immediately and ran gleefully through the tutorial. The game itself is free, just an eleven meg download - that's not how they get you. Here's how they get you: it's a card game. A collectible one no less, with a game board that represents a star system and and worlds which are useful to varying degrees. So you can play it online and solo with what amounts to starter decks, or you can hit their Card Store to purchase virtual boosters, boxes, or tickets to enter online tournaments. Alternately, subscribers can receive a few packs and tournament entries each month for about six bucks. At any rate, those are not matters you need to grapple with at the moment. I just wrapped up my first game, and I can tell you that right from the outset it's more than enough to keep your hand on the mouse.

(CW)TB out.

telling everyone you'd drowned

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
This discussion has been closed.