As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Then the PA fell on the crowd (Live Music)

TrillionGramsTrillionGrams Registered User regular
edited November 2008 in Social Entropy++
So Friday I was at a concert in the second row, 15 feet away from the performers. This unto itself was one of the greatest moments of my pathetic life.

Before the show starts, however, the lady sitting directly behind me starts chatting. Turns out she isn't a huge fan, plus her friend ditched her and she was by herself. Boring story short, she ends up *giving* me two backstage passes to meet the band after the show.

My sister, sitting in the balcony, cried when I called to give her the news.

So live music! Your favorite music is always better when it's too loud and you're surrounded by other people who love the act just as much as you do. What has been your favorite moment of a live performance? Catch a t-shirt thrown by a band member? Been pulled up on stage in Courtney-Cox/Bruce-Springsteen moment?

TrillionGrams on

• Options
    WarrnWarrn Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I go to Less Than Jake shows whenever I can, and last year when they were doing their Price Is Right stage game I got picked to come up on stage and play. It was pretty awesome, but I was the first loser. Also, the venue didn't allow cameras so I have no visual proof of my stage appearance. They gave me a "slightly used" trash bag as a joke consolation prize. I was pissed at myself for losing and ended up at the merch booths were I got to hang out with Aaron Barrett from Reel Big Fish for a while. Good times. Also he signed the trash bag.

Warrn on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    redfenixredfenix Aka'd as rfix Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    um

i worked at the amphitheatre for a year and a half in St. Louis, and saw a shittown of shows, and got paid to do so.

off the top of my head
    aerosmithx2
    kiss
    ozzie
    korn
    manson
    goo goo dolls
    kenny chesney x2
    blue man group
    eminem
    jay-z
    beyonce
    snoop dogg
    busta rhymes
    50 cent
    ludacris x 2
    michelle branch
    alicia keys
    chicago
    boston
    hall & oates
    lyle lovett
    john mayer
    counting crows
    reba mcintyre

many were good
    some weren't

redfenix on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    how can you post that story and not say what band it was

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    CptKemzikCptKemzik Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    We already have a concert thread on the second page.

CptKemzik on
  • Options
    redfenixredfenix Aka'd as rfix Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    it was menudo

redfenix on
  • Options
    TrillionGramsTrillionGrams Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    CptKemzik wrote: »
    We already have a concert thread on the second page.

I really need to give up this thread thing. Everytime I try to make one, I look carefully (obviously I'm fucking blind), but then end up making some other huge gaffe.

TrillionGrams on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    are you ashamed to admit who you saw

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    NickleNickle Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I went to a punk show at a local bar last weekend.

The music was horrible and then someone got stabbed.

Nickle on
    Xbox/PSN/NNID/Steam: NickleDL | 3DS: 0731-4750-6906
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Nickle wrote: »
    I went to a punk show at a local bar last weekend.

The music was horrible and then someone got stabbed.

The show was a success.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I don't like seeing live music. I saw Strike Anywhere once and almost got my teeth knocked out in the mosh pit. I saw Cowboy Junkies live by sneaking into a country club but got thrown out halfway through.

The only shows we have around here are shitty hardcore or shitty jam band stuff and I fucking hate all that jazz. Wu-Tang did come here, once, though, and my friend smoked a blunt with Ghostface Killa and another friend of mine got up on stage and freestyled with him.

Also, once Lil Wayne came to town and all my friends who went to see his show came back with more money in cash then they spent on the tickets 'cus Lil Wayne was just throwing that shit off the stage.

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    NickleNickle Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The last show I went to before that was the Styx concert at our city's music festival back in September.

It probably goes without saying that it was fantastic.

Nickle on
    Xbox/PSN/NNID/Steam: NickleDL | 3DS: 0731-4750-6906
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Fandy that is some pretty dubious reasoning.

If you don't want any bodily harm don't go into a mosh pit

if you don't want to get thrown out don't trespass

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    arod_77arod_77 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    Hardcore music is awesome.

Mosh pits are awesome.

arod_77 on
    glitteratsigcopy.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »
    Fandy that is some pretty dubious reasoning.

If you don't want any bodily harm don't go into a mosh pit

if you don't want to get thrown out don't trespass

Oh, those weren't my reasons for not liking live shows. I just think they're noisy and I don't like big crowded smelly hot events full of drunk people.

Those were just examples of shows gone awry for me. I totally understand why people enjoy live music and sorta wish I did too.

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    FutoreFutore Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    arod_77 wrote: »

Mosh pits are awesome.

Yes. Yes they are. Have you seen the photos?

Futore on
    ETqXK.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Futore wrote: »
    arod_77 wrote: »

Mosh pits are awesome.

Yes. Yes they are. Have you seen the photos?

oh necessarily.

good job with that.

arod_77 on
    glitteratsigcopy.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    also I think not liking live music makes you borderline aspergers

arod_77 on
    glitteratsigcopy.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I am full blown aspergers and I cannot do anything other then write fan-fiction.

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    uua9LsRTv.gif

arod_77 on
    glitteratsigcopy.jpg
  • Options
    i n c u b u si n c u b u s Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Oh boy I have had some awesome moments at shows. Anything from lead singers jumping on me to handing the mic over to sing. Maybe to switch things up a bit I'm gonna share my worst experience. I love getting as humanly close as possible to the front so I pushed my way to the front of a very small Incubus show (no more than 200 people). I eventually got seperated from my gf, smashed to death by people stoned off their asses because and I quote "Its Incubus man you have to toke up!", and after finally deciding I've had enough of having my lungs collapse I get tossed up and over the fence leaving my shoe behind in the chaos. Totally ruined what was supposed to be the best night of my life so far, especially the part where douchebags rip you from your spot in the front that you waited 6 hours for in the cold and having them say "C'mon man everyone needs to have a chance in front." Fuck that noise, they should've waited in line like the rest of us.

i n c u b u s on
    Platinum FC: 4941 2152 0041
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    TalonrazorTalonrazor Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I worked for the Stage Manager at our state fair for awhile. Ted Nugent came up and that was awesome. Not because I like his music, I don't, or that the concert was really good for some reason but strictly because of the 8,000+ really, really drunk rednecks that showed up.

I ended up next to the stage, helping form a line with security as we fought back wave after wave of drunk people trying to clear just enough room for Ted and band to play. It was awesome. I fucking loved it.

Talonrazor on
    sig4.jpg
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I have never been to a concert

not even once

I wanted to go to NBT but I have to work

Raneados on
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Its been years since my last concert, unfortunately. But I used to go to a lot. Mostly local stuff, my friends would play and I'd support them, but I went to some bigger shows. Funniest things I can recall: making out with some random college girl during Thursday's set, having one of the band members of another band jump off the stage and literally land sitting on my head during a Midtown set, causing them to stop because they thought I got hurt, and then I popped up bitching because I lost my glasses.

The last show I went to had me surrounded by girls that ranged from ages 13-16. Then the guy who was performing jumped into the crowd and tried to get me to start dancing around (I guess he wanted to create a pit or something) and there was no way. That was the end for me.

Goose! on
  • Options
    BogeyBogey I'm back, baby! Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
    edited November 2008
    Bogey on
    Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
    XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
    PSN: Bogestrom
This discussion has been closed.