As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX 2071! (A Shadowrun Phalla) GAME OVER. Runners win!

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    El Skid wrote: »
    Trolls are just big, on average dumber humanoids. Discworld trolls without the "being made of rocks" is the best analogy I can find.

Dey probly talk like 'dis, doh I don' tink it's nes- nec- I don' tink you gotta.

Nice. Thought I'm tempted now to run the Beast (x-men) of trolls.

Inquisitor on
  • MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    !sign up! Trollface!

MrMonroe on
  • TrueNeverbornTrueNeverborn Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Darian wrote: »
    Wiki says Neuromancer was 1984; Shadowrun wasn't published until 1989. So I'm going with William Gibson for first, here.
    never heard of it, so I bow to your cyber-space sci-fi knowledge. I'll see you in day 2 ^_-

TrueNeverborn on
    So if you love games and I love games... Why are we not playing... **sees the forum** OOOOHHHH Yeh!
    TrueNeverBorn_sm.jpg
    edited November 2008
    *checks his inbox* Not sure what I think of this new Johnson, chummers. He's slow on the deliverance. Not even sure if this is a wetwork or deck job. Fraggin suit should at least pick up the comm. As long as I ain't having to co-operate with some dirty trogs I should be fine.

TrueNeverborn on
    So if you love games and I love games... Why are we not playing... **sees the forum** OOOOHHHH Yeh!
    TrueNeverBorn_sm.jpg
  • InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Cyberspace is actually known as the Matrix in Shadowrun. :winky:

Shadowrun is Cyberpunk + Fantasy. High-tech and body mods + dwarves and dragons and magic.

Trolls are big motherfuckers that are more ogre/brutish. They aren't particularly dumb compared to any other race of metahuman, but the stereotype is there. (metahumans: every race sprung from humans during the Awakening, when magic returned to the Earth... people started having dwarf and elf babies, and there was also the abrupt "goblinization" of already living humans into orcs and trolls... collectively they're all still humans mentally but physically they have wide differences)

Never deal with a dragon.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    !Signup I've always been a fan of playing an Elf. Rigger biker in The Ancients? I would like to patrol the Renraku Archology on a crotch rocket, please.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Is it really called the Matrix here? Gah. I'm getting Cyberpunk and Shadowrun mixed up in my head.

Well, as you said, the technological stuff is virtually the same, Infidel. I guess that's why :P

El Skid on
    edited November 2008
    9 spots remain, let's do it!

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • GrundlterrorGrundlterror Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    gogogogo!

Grundlterror on
    steam_sig.png
  • M.D.M.D. and then what happens? Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Why dont you deal with a dragon?

M.D. on
    edited November 2008

Why?

Grundlterror on
    steam_sig.png
    edited November 2008

Ancient, cunning, fuckers.

edit: for those who could use a D&D analogy, dragons are to SR GMs what the Wish spell is to D&D DMs: an opportunity expecting you to fuck over your players with some twist!

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
    edited November 2008
    Because you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Darkewolfe on
    edited November 2008
    Oh I thought there was a joke coming.

Grundlterror on
    steam_sig.png
    edited November 2008
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

This is also an appropriate quote.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    Infidel wrote: »
    Cyberspace is actually known as the Matrix in Shadowrun. :winky:

Shadowrun is Cyberpunk + Fantasy. High-tech and body mods + dwarves and dragons and magic.

Trolls are big motherfuckers that are more ogre/brutish. They aren't particularly dumb compared to any other race of metahuman, but the stereotype is there. (metahumans: every race sprung from humans during the Awakening, when magic returned to the Earth... people started having dwarf and elf babies, and there was also the abrupt "goblinization" of already living humans into orcs and trolls... collectively they're all still humans mentally but physically they have wide differences)

Never deal with a dragon.

First, as I'll mention this several times, I refer to any meta-human that is born as their race as a pure strain, and any that started as a human and shifted as a hybrid, just for differentiation as some of the "rules" are different, these aren't official terms.

Actually pure trolls as a race are less intelligent than the other meta-races(aside from orks, to a lesser degree). The hybrid trolls initially were the same intelligence as their human life selves, for awhile. But eventually the majority of them slowly devolved intelligence wise as they grew accustomed to their new form. Some were able to hold onto their knowledge by constantly studying and such, but it was pretty rare.
    Obviously there are exceptions also, but the chance of running into one, especially one who isn't in the service of a corp would be incredibly small.

Also of note, pure Ork's have a much shorter life span than any other race. If I remember correctly, old age/senility for a pure strain was around 40, while hybrids would age as normal for a human.

Elves live roughly the same age as humans, mostly vegetarians.

Dwarves, I don't ever really remember anything interesting about, good with machines, not with magic, believe the same lifespan as humans.

Morkath on
    edited November 2008
    What'chu sayin'? 'chu sayin' I 'aint smart?

Inquisitor on
  • Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    *nods head*

Gorilla Salad on
    edited November 2008
    So it's pretty much how I said it earlier.

M.D. on
  • FrostMistFrostMist NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Infidel wrote: »

This is also an appropriate quote.

I support the quote! :D

FrostMist on
    Untitled-1.jpg
    edited November 2008
    First off gotta address this.
    Morkath wrote: »
    Many elves speak Sperethiel which some of them, being immortal, remember from the last age of magic.

Secondly: *the rest is IN Sperethiel*
    Any elves wishing to band together as one against this overwhelming trog incursion may send word to me, Oyabun(leader) Leown of Yakuza(think Clan or Mafia) SINless Wizworm. May the Earth hide your steps from your enemies and the Shadows keep your secrets. *Technically ends Sperethiel as images are universal, except the word "SINless" in the image is effectivly in Sperethiel as well.*
    SINless-1.jpg

OOC: I know the ** may be annoying but I am NOT going to get Phalla banned again for using encoded messages on the boards. Just gonna have to hope you all can keep OOC OOC.

TrueNeverborn on
    TrueNeverBorn_sm.jpg
  • Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Alright, DA want me to join up so he can grudge me over a story of staying awake at 2 in the morning, and I think it's a fun idea. Just, I don't know squat about Shadowrun apart from the SNES game, and I don't remember any of it because I didn't know what shadowrun was nor had the ability to understand english during that SNES era (blind rental yo!).

So, Sell me your race, people! What should I be for maximum goodies, this is what I want to know.

Dac Vin on
  • Mr. JohnsonMr. Johnson Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    TrueNeverborn:I said I would send out all the PMs if we got a full roster. That still Hasn't happened yet, so no Role PMs until then. At this rate I think we should be able to start tonight(assuming we can get 9 more people)

Ardor: Lots of hidden mechanics and such but overall a highly lethal game.

Mr. Johnson on
    edited November 2008
    Who isn't in this game that we could invite? Someone send out some invites

M.D. on
    edited November 2008
    Wait do you seriously not expect to me read your part that's in "elven"? :P

Or, handily, my troll also reads and speaks eleven. :P

Inquisitor on
    edited November 2008
    TrueNeverborn:I said I would send out all the PMs if we got a full roster. That still Hasn't happened yet, so no Role PMs until then. At this rate I think we should be able to start tonight(assuming we can get 9 more people)

I know, just having some fun, was really making a joke. Note to anyone who hasn't played shadowrun. NEVER piss off Johnson, they tend to have nasty corp contacts.

TrueNeverborn on
    TrueNeverBorn_sm.jpg
    edited November 2008
    Dac Vin wrote: »
    So, Sell me your race, people! What should I be for maximum goodies, this is what I want to know.

Troll. Cause we da smashiest.

Also, we know how ta party.

Inquisitor on
    edited November 2008
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Wait do you seriously not expect to me read your part that's in "elven"? :P

Or, handily, my troll also reads and speaks eleven. :P

LOL, well no. I expect everyone to read everything. It's just not possible to NOT read something like that. I just don't want to start up some sort of "Secret" code (Points at the PhallLost fiasco). As for Troll knowing elven. Unlikely, but not impossible I'd think. Depends on situation, it IS a RPG afterall. Basically I what I was trying to get at is TRY not to use it in your actions. This phalla has the unique platform of racial leverage and It is simply a decent, if not logical, stand point to have a racial war per-say Day 1. I mean what else do elves have to go off of except trolls and orcs (Trogs being the durogatory term) being bulky, ugly and stupid. Not to mention prone to violence.

Note to our noisy Ninja. I checked. You're not a troll there buddy, ur human. Way to be! 8-)

TrueNeverborn on
    TrueNeverBorn_sm.jpg
    edited November 2008
    I dun' 'preciate your ste...stereo...

I dun' like what you say pointy ears.

Inquisitor on
    edited November 2008
    Dac Vin wrote: »

There was a choice? I heard overrated(human), stupid(troll, orc), short but redeemable(dwarf) and utterly perfect(elves). Really pick anything but elf and you are stepping down in the world. ^_- At that rate join Yakuza SINless Wizworm. Alot like the Policlub, but none of that trog nastiness.

TrueNeverborn on
    TrueNeverBorn_sm.jpg
    edited November 2008

It's ok trog, I get the point. Here's a stick, go hit that man in the long coat. They like a good game of stick tag. :winky: (And Inquistor check our wiki for slang. Elves are Dandelion Eaters.)

TrueNeverborn on
    TrueNeverBorn_sm.jpg
  • ArdorArdor Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    !Sign me up as an Orc.

I'll do my best to be active.

Ardor on
    edited November 2008

What, are you with the Spikes or something? Fraggin trogs, almost as bad as the poli's, seems like. Just stay out of Seattle, it's Ancients turf.

Trueneverborn: Sissy. You just sprawling with us on break from Tir Tairngire?

Darkewolfe on
    edited November 2008
    Ardor wrote: »
    !Sign me up as an Orc.

I'll do my best to be active.

Hey stranger

Grundlterror on
    steam_sig.png
    edited November 2008
    With regards to intelligence and races:

In my opinion the penalty to intelligence for orks and trolls is a reflection of society and not any predisposition within them. You can have very smart and cunning trogs and very dumb likes just like any race.

The penalty is due to the cultural and peer pressures. They are dumb-looking and treated as such in schools, they are left behind by society, it's not cool among the other ork kids to appear smart, etc.

This kind of thing is pretty prevalent in real life today for many minorities.

I always consider the penalty to be just reinforcing the stereotype in my games, especially since troll and ork runners that I've dealt with almost always had at least the average human norm for intelligence after modifiers.

This doesn't have much to do with the game I suppose. :lol:

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
    edited November 2008
    Trueneverborn: Sissy. You just sprawling with us on break from Tir Tairngire?

Gotta deal with the fraggin trogs in everyday. Can't just be geekin' them on the corner now can I. However our kind gotta stick together, can't have us all falling to their ilk. Would be bad for us all, simply giving us a place to start, brother.

TrueNeverborn on
    TrueNeverBorn_sm.jpg
    edited November 2008
    'ou lot is too much trouble.

*hibernates*

Inquisitor on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    The only experience I have with Shadowrun is this:

g06762lzd3w.jpg

Loved that game.

It'll be the next Genesis game I play after I finish Langrisser II. Looks like my cup of tea.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited November 2008

Gotta deal with the fraggin trogs in everyday. Can't just be geekin' them on the corner now can I. However our kind gotta stick together, can't have us all falling to their ilk. Would be bad for us all, simply giving us a place to start, brother.

Psh. I did some biz in Bug City, chummer. The go-gangers don't have to worry about heat for dropping a trog or two on the right side of town. But you wouldn't know about that. Yak's don't poke their heads where they don't belong either, if they don't plan on letting us keep it.

Darkewolfe on
  • MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    First off gotta address this.
    Morkath wrote: »
    Many elves speak Sperethiel which some of them, being immortal, remember from the last age of magic.

Secondly: *the rest is IN Sperethiel*
    Any elves wishing to band together as one against this overwhelming trog incursion may send word to me, Oyabun(leader) Leown of Yakuza(think Clan or Mafia) SINless Wizworm. May the Earth hide your steps from your enemies and the Shadows keep your secrets. *Technically ends Sperethiel as images are universal, except the word "SINless" in the image is effectivly in Sperethiel as well.*

OOC: I know the ** may be annoying but I am NOT going to get Phalla banned again for using encoded messages on the boards. Just gonna have to hope you all can keep OOC OOC.

Pfft, the immortal ones are quite rare, and also incredibly powerful. They are not player characters.
    Normal elves have roughly a human life span.

Morkath on