As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[F2P] Runes of Magic (Chapter 2 coming Sept 2009)

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    citizen059 wrote: »
    Kajusta wrote: »
    There's some good videos up on youtube like the ones I posted earlier, you should probably put those in there also.

Will do.

Instead of throwing videos of mumbling nerds in the OP, you could translate the information given there into a readable piece of text.

*edit: ok, that came out bitchier than I meant it to. Uh, can you imagine I said that in a non-bitchy way?

Aldo on
  • Options
    KajustaKajusta Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    That's actually a developer.

So uh, yeah.

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
  • Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Aldo wrote: »
    citizen059 wrote: »
    There's some good videos up on youtube like the ones I posted earlier, you should probably put those in there also.

Will do.

Instead of throwing videos of mumbling nerds in the OP, you could translate the information given there into a readable piece of text.

*edit: ok, that came out bitchier than I meant it to. Uh, can you imagine I said that in a non-bitchy way?

I might do that later when I'm at home. I'm at work right now so throwing in pre-assembled bits of info is easier. ;-)

citizen059 on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    That's actually a developer.

So uh, yeah.
    aka NEEEEEEEEEERDS :P

t citizen: ah, yes, I can imagine your chief not appreciating that. Man, now I'm almost interested in this game, I guess I'll try it out once it is a little further in development.

Aldo on
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    One big plus to this game just from how it looks? Doesn't look like they copied every damn character model from Lineage 2.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Arthil wrote: »
    One big plus to this game just from how it looks? Doesn't look like they copied every damn character model from Lineage 2.

But they are pretty mediocre. The armor either looks pretty cool or incredibly stupid.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Like most MMO's you mean?

Arthil on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Like most MMO's you mean?

Yeah but there's no middle ground here. Either you look badass or you look like an idiot.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    Asamof the HorribleAsamof the Horrible Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Instead they copied World of Warcraft

not that much better imo

Asamof the Horrible on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Hardly looks like they copied it. There was one game in the free games list that seemed to blatantly take things from WoW FFXI and another game. From the videos and screens I've seen, this doesn't look a thing like WoW.

Arthil on
  • Options
    Asamof the HorribleAsamof the Horrible Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I've played it and some of the similarities are blatant

4story is definitely worse (the game you described above) but I still groaned when I saw some of these things in RoM

Asamof the Horrible on
  • Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Hardly looks like they copied it. There was one game in the free games list that seemed to blatantly take things from WoW FFXI and another game. From the videos and screens I've seen, this doesn't look a thing like WoW.

Once you get ingame, the resemblance is more apparent. The available media doesn't do it justice.

citizen059 on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Well personally the thought of a free MMO that does things somewhat similar to WoW sounds like a good thing to me, personally. Better than the eye-gougingly horrible grind that most take from Lineage 2.

Arthil on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Updated OP with new info on the start of open beta.

citizen059 on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I'm not sure where someone got that this was anything like WoW, aside from a couple of things that WoW didn't even come up with first. I'd say this was one of the better free games I've played, quests were fun and I never once got disconnected which shows that they actually have someone who knows what their doing.

Arthil on
  • Options
    kidsolkidsol Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Well personally the thought of a free MMO that does things somewhat similar to WoW sounds like a good thing to me, personally. Better than the eye-gougingly horrible grind that most take from Lineage 2.

Haha when Aldo mentioned WoW was a grind fest i fucking fell out of my chair laughing, if only he ever played L2. I'm still only 76 on L2 even with the new rested XP.

The graphics on this game look very clean and the shadows look nice in that video of the character creater..

kidsol on
    Rift: Sunrest - Ayaname (Warrior) - Steam: We Are 138 - XBL: Kidsol
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    kidsol wrote: »

Haha when Aldo mentioned WoW was a grind fest i fucking fell out of my chair laughing, if only he ever played L2. I'm still only 76 on L2 even with the new rested XP.

The graphics on this game look very clean and the shadows look nice in that video of the character creater..
    Both games are grindfests, I'm sure Lineage is worse, but that doesn't mean WoW doesn't have a whole grindfest going on.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

Both games are grindfests, I'm sure Lineage is worse, but that doesn't mean WoW doesn't have a whole grindfest going on.

I do have to say I only played WoW after BC and got 70 in 3 months playing casually. Lineage doesn't give xp for quests you onyl get xp from mobs. O.o

kidsol on
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Vanilla WoW was a grindfest. Leveling to 60 wasn't bad, but once you got there, there were only two things left: Rep and raiding. Rep back then was a massive grind (literally a couple hundred hours and at the end you get a shoulder enchant for +5 resists or a trinket that doesn't have any useful function), no daily quests, sparse repeatable quests, and no rep from mobs past honored or revered, depending on the faction. Raiding has always required some gold investment for enchants, consumables, etc - and the only way to get that was to grind.

Burning Crusade, though - rep's easy (after they lowered the heroic key requirement to honored at least), dailies all over the place - first hour after logging in, you could have ~100 gold, as long as you had a flying mount (not even the 10000g epic ones). WotLK's brought in some amount of level grind - I think it's taking me longer per level than it did for 2 or 3 from 60 to 70 - but again, good deal of dailies and easy rep, and no rep needed for heroic keys.

Hevach on
  • Options
    firekiunfirekiun Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

I played Lineage 2 right when it release, call Lineage a grindfest is an understatement.

At level 30 I am getting 20% per hour, that's 5 hours of non stop hunting for a level. If you die you lost 7% on each death.

At level 53, getting the "very best possible combination of group" (5 high level archer, 1 buffer, 1 healer, singer and dancer) getting me 10% a hour. Getting a group like this will take in average of 2 hour searching, if your in a clan with a lot of enemy, good luck getting full group.

At level 70, one of my friend said he's getting 1.5% per hour, his comment? "Man today's xp is so good"

WOW have gear grind, but so does Lineage 2 with its material grind, fishing grind (yes you need that for last class change), class change quest grind (its 4 hours long), skill upgrade grind..... etcetc...

~_~ Sorry, I just got piss whenever people try to understated the it's grinding, especially when they put it grinding the same level as WOW.

-back to topic-
    I will try Rune of Magic, seems fun with dual class and all that, hopefully there will be good pvp balance. 5 classes, however, is little small... should have like 7.

firekiun on
    PSN ID : Kiunch

I play Blazblue, Soul Calibur 4, Street Fighter 4 and soon Tekken 6... yeah... so add me if you want to play any of those.
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Where I said "I'm sure Lineage is worse" I really meant that I am sure that the grind in Lineage is worse. :P Why anyone would play that game is beyond me.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    firekiun wrote: »

I played Lineage 2 right when it release, call Lineage a grindfest is an understatement.

At level 30 I am getting 20% per hour, that's 5 hours of non stop hunting for a level. If you die you lost 7% on each death.

At level 53, getting the "very best possible combination of group" (5 high level archer, 1 buffer, 1 healer, singer and dancer) getting me 10% a hour. Getting a group like this will take in average of 2 hour searching, if your in a clan with a lot of enemy, good luck getting full group.

At level 70, one of my friend said he's getting 1.5% per hour, his comment? "Man today's xp is so good"

WOW have gear grind, but so does Lineage 2 with its material grind, fishing grind (yes you need that for last class change), class change quest grind (its 4 hours long), skill upgrade grind..... etcetc...

~_~ Sorry, I just got piss whenever people try to understated the it's grinding, especially when they put it grinding the same level as WOW.

-back to topic-
    I will try Rune of Magic, seems fun with dual class and all that, hopefully there will be good pvp balance. 5 classes, however, is little small... should have like 7.

LOL man at lvl 58 you cna easily make 40% an hour ina decent party, at lvl 60 is where the 10% can be an hour if you don't grind well.

Lvl 70 is 10% in a night is a good night

Lvl 74-75 is like 1% if you can manage a good buff round 20 mins but notmally around 1-2% an hour.

75-76 with AOe you can manage .5% ina a buff round
    76-77 .5% a buff roudn ina a highly stacked party

77-78 .25% per buff round in a highly stacked party

with the 250% vitality you can lvl a lot faster however it doesnt last too long.

the 3rd class change at 76 is about 1,000 2x mobs, 700 1x mobs, 150 2x mobs, 200 mobs 4-6x mobs to gett he regents, 3-4 hours off good fishing, material grinds for armor are insanely rediculous.

Lineage 2 is the epitome of Grindfest wow is like 1/50th of the grind. Lineage 2 makes all other games lvling processes look like a joke.

kidsol on
  • Options
    aunsophaunsoph Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Lineage 2 is the epitome of Grindfest wow is like 1/50th of the grind. Lineage 2 makes all other games lvling processes look like a joke.

Except the joke is on the players that keep paying and playing Lineage 2.

aunsoph on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    aunsoph wrote: »

Well damn the jokes on me :( But I can keep playing another 2-3 years and not reach max lvl. :)

kidsol on
  • Options
    firekiunfirekiun Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    aunsoph wrote: »

Well damn the jokes on me :( But I can keep playing another 2-3 years and not reach max lvl. :)

Hey, at least all the suicide notes and daily dramas are fun. I really miss open-end pvp in L2. You really felt you stab someone in real life when you pk'ed someone. So freaking sweet.

firekiun on
    PSN ID : Kiunch

I play Blazblue, Soul Calibur 4, Street Fighter 4 and soon Tekken 6... yeah... so add me if you want to play any of those.
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    ...So how about those Runes? I heard they are made of Magic?

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    ...So how about those Runes? I heard they are made of Magic?

I'm not sure if they're made of it, but I heard they contain a lot of it. Copious amounts.

Heh. I said copious.

citizen059 on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    OP updated as open beta goes live today.

citizen059 on
  • Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Well, I'll go ahead and give this a shot... in like 8 hours when it finishes downloading.

Kane Red Robe on
  • Options
    ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Huh. Think I'll give this a shot, since it seems everyone in the Imagine thread is busy playing Persona 4.

Zandracon on
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008
    So does the magic in this game require reagents?

Trying to decide what classes I want my guy to be.

Morkath on
  • Options
    weenusweenus Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Trying to install this game makes me want to die. After I patched it, it keeps creating "matrix.exe" which is linked to the Matrix Online for some reason, and keeps erroring out. I'm now trying to reinstall and... *sigh* repatch.

weenus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hooraydiation wrote: And I don't care how distraught you are. It's just impolite to shoot yourself when someone has their dick inside you.
  • Options
    weenusweenus Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    This game wants to be WoW so bad it's obscene.

weenus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hooraydiation wrote: And I don't care how distraught you are. It's just impolite to shoot yourself when someone has their dick inside you.
  • Options
    LostLost Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'm going to start up a character now that we are in open beta, anyone online who wants to go gallivant around with me?

edit: Wait, do I have to redownload the client?

Lost on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Lost wrote: »
    I'm going to start up a character now that we are in open beta, anyone online who wants to go gallivant around with me?

edit: Wait, do I have to redownload the client?

You should just be able to let the autopatcher handle things for you.

citizen059 on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    It froze at 10% when I tried to patch into the open beta. D:

Lost on
  • Options
    KlatuKlatu Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OiRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Downloading this now, will check it out when I get home.

Are PA'ers on any specific server?

Klatu on
    Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
  • Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    My download failed after 4 hours while I was watching football. I am displeased.

Kane Red Robe on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    apparently the patcher has decide to work for me now, so it is like 50% done or something. Maybe I'll get on before the night is over?

Lost on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    My download failed after 4 hours while I was watching football. I am displeased.

I used a download manager and got it in four parts from some German gaming site; that wound up being the fastest method for me.

I've heard it's up on torrents though, too.

citizen059 on