As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Video stutter in TF2 only

The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
I had this in the G&T TF2 thread but it's getting lost in all the chat, so I thought I'd make a thread for it.

I'm just going to copy/past what I had up to date in that thread.

If someone can help me I'd really appreciate it.
Eric_Res wrote: »
So I need some technical support.

Trying to fiddle with my video settings in TF2 on my new PC to get it up and ready to run.

I have all the latest drivers and all that jazz.

Hardware:
4950 HD Radeon
2.8 Core 2 Duo x64

Vista Premium x64

No matter what I put my settings to in the game, I get this weird "stutter" where the game is like choking, but not really. It almost looks like it's trying to force motion blur even though I have it turned off, and then it can't, so it just keeps choking.

TF2 is the only game it does this with. I can run HL2 and Portal perfectly fine.

EDIT: Forcing xp sp2 compatibility didn't help.

The quote tree liveth.

Also are you sure it is a 4950 and not a 4850? 4950 is not turning up in my internet searches.

Yeah, 4850 sorry.

It's not overheating. I can run a plethora of games right afterward, including everything Source (except TF2) and everything runs silky smooth.

I started to get a "an error in hl2.exe has forced the program to shut down" (something to that effect) error when I would quit TF2 and no other source games. I just removed TF2 and am redownloading it in steam and seeing if it was just a faulty install or something.

If it was a constant problem in any other game I would say it could be heat or something wrong with hardware but everything I have on the machine runs excellent except it.

EDIT: Reinstalling didn't work.

EDIT2: Found some stuff on the hl2.exe stopping working. Someone put some instructions that are posted on like every message board on the web on how to add some permissions for it. Doesn't work for me. I try the command line stuff and I get an error 5 access denied. I can't for the life of me find the user settings in premium to do it through menus.

EDIT3: Dumped everything Steam/Source off my PC and doing a totally clean install of it, seeing if that helps.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

The Dude With Herpes on

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Fully reinstalled steam/TF2, no dice.

:( This is really pissing me off. It's only TF2.

The Dude With Herpes on

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Huh.

I guess this can be locked. Maybe.

I joined JonXPs server instead of Jobs and there's no problem at all on JonXP's.

It must be a network thing, not a video thing.

So lets go there with the problem.

The Dude With Herpes on