As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Chat]hammer 40k

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Drez wrote: »
    Another treatment for depression: sleep deprivation. After ~36-48 hours with no sleep, people tend to feel less depressed.

Well, sure. When you start to hallucinate, it becomes a tad difficult to focus on how awful your life is. At that point, it's just about not falling over and vomiting, or letting the woman in white take you to the mushroom kingdom to have your way with her.

Aha, you jest but it actually totally works reasonably well. It may have to do with certain chemicals depleting themselves during wakefulness, or with the fact that you tend to regain far less REM sleep when you're sleep-deprived, and depressed people tend to have far longer periods of REM sleep.

Of course, since we're still not certain why we sleep period, odds are this won't be figured out any time soon.

I was half jesting. At 36 hours without sleep I start to drop randomly out of consciousness. At 48 hours I start teetering between reality and oddity. And, in all seriousness, at that point paranoia overtakes any element of depression that previously existed.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    hey hey
    you you
    i don't like your girlfriend

bop bop bop

Medopine on
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    FCC what physics are you in.
    Oh man, I have done everything to avoid physics. When I transfer I will cross that road.
    It looks I'm better than in you in science on something! :D
    Yeah, my eyes glaze over when people talk about physics.

But chemistry is physics.
    I'm cool with particles and thermo, it's the Throw a ball of a cliff while an updraft going fourteen kilometers hits the 5g ball at a tangent to the bla de bla dde bla.

Those are the most fun part. The practical applications are guns and motorsports.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Another treatment for depression: sleep deprivation. After ~36-48 hours with no sleep, people tend to feel less depressed.

Well, sure. When you start to hallucinate, it becomes a tad difficult to focus on how awful your life is. At that point, it's just about not falling over and vomiting, or letting the woman in white take you to the mushroom kingdom to have your way with her.

Aha, you jest but it actually totally works reasonably well. It may have to do with certain chemicals depleting themselves during wakefulness, or with the fact that you tend to regain far less REM sleep when you're sleep-deprived, and depressed people tend to have far longer periods of REM sleep.

Of course, since we're still not certain why we sleep period, odds are this won't be figured out any time soon.

I was half jesting. At 36 hours without sleep I start to drop randomly out of consciousness. At 48 hours I start teetering between reality and oddity. And, in all seriousness, at that point paranoia overtakes any element of depression that previously existed.

Yeah, it... it doesn't actually end up being very effective mostly due to the whole humans needing sleep thing.

ECT also seems to have a reasonably quick relapse window, tops out at around 6 months per treatment series. Which is unfortunate, since it's usually the last possible treatment.

Although, there's also this one thing where they stick a wire into Brodmann area 25, around the anterior cingulate cortex, and zap the fuck out of it. For some reason, area 25 is hyperactive in depressed people, so shutting it down periodically tends to improve mood in something like 60% of treatment-resistant patients.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    ramen with tofu and bean sprouts and scallions and mmm

Medopine on
  • Options
    JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

He has a very attractive girlfriend.

20020923h.jpg

Super gay.

James on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    A tiny little super-gay?

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    You dorks.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Man, I have sooo much DFA shit it's ridiculous.

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    any vegans up in chat? got any cool vegan cookbooks to recommend?

For my sister for xmas

Medopine on
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    SO I CAN JUST TYPE ANYTHING AND IT WILL SHOW UP HERE

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    What podly you are only just in college?

I'm 27 and you always struck me as around the same age as me.

Hah at me I should have known better too.

*hobbles away*

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Just came across a new musician and figured I'd share. I've got the interview tagged on here as well since I realize not everyone may be a big fan of falsetto pop (yes, he's rather like Queen in some ways). As much as I'd like to make a separate discussion thread about it I really don't have any specific questions outside of "Have you heard of this guy? What do you think of his lyrics/subjects?" Thus, I'm flinging my wanton curiosity at you [chat]ters.

If you want to learn more about the guy here's his Wiki.

Passerbye on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

*hobbles away*

I'm an old soul

Also

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/world/2008/11/23/lah.jap.monkey.biz.cnn?iref=videosearch

yeheheheeh

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Those machines are fun to play with.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

I bet.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I had no drive to do anything productive today or for the past few days. I've just felt so blah. Maybe gorging myself on mountains of delicious Thanksgiving food will cheer me up.

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Podly wrote: »

*hobbles away*

I'm an old soul

Also

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/world/2008/11/23/lah.jap.monkey.biz.cnn?iref=videosearch

yeheheheeh
    Why have we not thought of monkey slave labor before? Are we not America?!

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

*hobbles away*

I'm an old soul

Also

yeheheheeh
    Why have we not thought of monkey slave labor before? Are we not America?!
    Oh, we thought about it. But we followed the thought to its only logical conclusion.

planetofapes.jpg

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Richy hits Chat for 9999999.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Hey Morning I defended your girlfriend's honor while you were gone as well as your heterosexuality.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Passerbye, are you gay? I don't mean anything mean, just that the only people I know that really like him are girls and gays. I do think he writes some fun, campy songs though.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited November 2008

I bet.

Everything they do can be done better in post with Final Cut, but you don't get to do post on live broadcasts. They're generally referred to as Chyrons, though that's one of those things like Xerox, Nerf, Rollerblade, Windex, etc.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    Look Out it's Sabs!Look Out it's Sabs! Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Passerbye, are you gay? I don't mean anything mean, just that the only people I know that really like him are girls and gays. I do think he writes some fun, campy songs though.

She's both? :P

Look Out it's Sabs! on
    NNID: Sabuiy
    3DS: 2852-6809-9411
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Dude tell him you're gay it'll be funnier that way.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    [strike]Female. But I can understand the question, his music isn't really the type your average (or should I say stereotypical) male would like.[/strike]

Edit: Gay, totally, yeah. Ahem.

VC - Sorry, I just can't be funny that quickly after working all day. Old people leech humor.

Sabs - Half-true. Bisexual and married to a man who's more feminine than a Victoria Secret store.

Passerbye on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Woah. How did I not know about the cuteness of this guy? (Mika)

• Options
    edited November 2008
    hmmm

didn't know that

cool

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Woah. How did I not know about the cuteness of this guy? (Mika)

Dude Mika and Lady Gaga are like the new thing in gay. They replaced the Scissor Sisters.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    is that the

I could be hurtful I could be purple I could be anything that you like

guy

Medopine on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2008
    Yeah, Grace Kelly.

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    hmmm

didn't know that

cool

I thought everyone knew that by now. Pay attention, geeze. :P

Passerbye on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Incidentally there's a brave dude on YT who actually 'went for it' WRT to Grace Kelly and I think it's a shit hot cover:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0oZADZpB6E

Organichu on
  • Options
    JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    "She's Always A Women To Me" or whatever the real title is by Bily Joel just confuses me.

It sounds like a love song, but the words... I don't even know.

Anyone else know? I'll Google it now, I guess...

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    YouTube is being hella slow for me tonight.

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    ResRes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    I am going to have to stop watching TV because it is depressing. But what shall I do instead... Hm...

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    His cover isn't bad, he's just too... I don't know what the word is... timid? And he needs to work on singing falsetto. And hitting notes consistently. Basically, for den-rock (a step below garage-rock) it's passable. :|

Res - What are you watching?

Passerbye on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Also I saw Mika in a bookstore with about 100 people for a small set... his voice really is that impressive.

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Passerbye wrote: »
    His cover isn't bad, he's just too... I don't know what the word is... timid? And he needs to work on singing falsetto. And hitting notes consistently. Basically, for den-rock (a step below garage-rock) it's passable. :|

Well I mean, I watch a lot of YT covers (next to message boards, it's possibly my favorite away to waste away time on a computer) especially now that I have YT on my phone... let's just say when I clicked on it and saw a dude with a goofy haircut in a den, covering a song that incredibly difficult, I expected WAY lower quality. I was impressed against my expectations.

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I like Mika's CD

Or I should say about four tracks off it

The rest are like uuuugh skip

Medopine on
This discussion has been closed.