As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Superman: Man of Tomorrow! (and his dog)

• Options
    SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    There is considerable hostility between Didio and anyone who likes DC comics

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Bad Karma commited ritual suicide and thats why he dosen't post here anymore

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    A little update regarding Robinson via Rich Johnston on the Newsarama Blogs.
    Do you know what? I wasn’t wrong.

This story is developing. As it currently states in the column.

Look for a full update on Monday.

Munch on
  • Options
    smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So I just read Supergirl, can someone please tell me who that was at the end?

smokmnky on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited November 2008
    smokmnky wrote: »

Superwoman

we don't know her identity yet

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    If Robinson refuses to do Superman, what are the chances of another Jack Knight book appearing in the future?

TeaSpoon on
  • Options
    KyleWPetersonKyleWPeterson Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Under Didio? Probably not great, but it's not like he's been itching to use the character at all anyway.

KyleWPeterson on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited November 2008
    TeaSpoon wrote: »
    If Robinson refuses to do Superman, what are the chances of another Jack Knight book appearing in the future?

"James Robinson currently has a deal with DC Comics enumerating that they cannot use his Starman characters without his permission, which is why Jack has appeared very little since the end of his series."

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Has there been any indication as to why Robinson would be upset with the direction of the book? So far this new Krypton thing has been really cool. I'm enjoying the arc quite a bit.

Plus, if its an event orchestrated by Johns, its gonna be good. I don't see why he wouldn't like it.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Has there been any indication as to why Robinson would be upset with the direction of the book? So far this new Krypton thing has been really cool. I'm enjoying the arc quite a bit.

Plus, if its an event orchestrated by Johns, its gonna be good. I don't see why he wouldn't like it.

Robinson's probably already finished writing all his New Krypton books, so he probably had an argument with Didio about something else. Trusting Didio, it was probably something insanely stupid, like when he was forcing Jim Shooter to put "Super Lad" in Legion.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Keith wrote: »
    TeaSpoon wrote: »

"James Robinson currently has a deal with DC Comics enumerating that they cannot use his Starman characters without his permission, which is why Jack has appeared very little since the end of his series."

Robinson pretty clearly wants to leave them where they are so we'll probably get a new book never.

Furu on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I like that Jack Knight is done being a hero and is just living the happy family man life. A cameo might be nice, but he really doesn't need to have any more adventures of his own.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Keith wrote: »
    smokmnky wrote: »

Superwoman

we don't know her identity yet

Thanks Keith, I wasn't sure if I was suppose to know who that was or not. This is my first real time reading anything Superman (other than some of the Supergirl stories before New Krypton started)

smokmnky on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited November 2008
    I like that Jack Knight is done being a hero and is just living the happy family man life. A cameo might be nice, but he really doesn't need to have any more adventures of his own.

Seriously. If Robinson didn't have that stipulation Jack would probably have been raped and murdered by Onomatopoeia or something equally retarded years ago.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Like what happaned to Elektra over at Marvel.

Not that there hasen't been some good Elektra stuff post Miller, but the signal to noise ratio is off the charts

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited November 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »

Not that there hasen't been some good Elektra stuff post Miller, but the signal to noise ratio is off the charts

Exactly. There are a clutch of characters who other writers just don't get as well as the dude(s) who created or defined them. I mean, I'm more than open to reinterpretations and alternate visions and so on, but there's a point where it crosses the line into exploitation - using the character to lend unearned prestige to an otherwise lame or uninteresting story.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    jacobkosh wrote: »

Exactly. There are a clutch of characters who other writers just don't get as well as the dude(s) who created or defined them. I mean, I'm more than open to reinterpretations and alternate visions and so on, but there's a point where it crosses the line into exploitation - using the character to lend unearned prestige to an otherwise lame or uninteresting story.

Like 80-90% of Darkseid stories post-Kirby.

Furu on
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Furu wrote: »
    jacobkosh wrote: »

Like 80-90% of Darkseid stories post-Kirby.

You've gotta love that last 10% though.
    darkseid.jpg

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Man, what?

Wildcat on
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Wildcat wrote: »
    Man, what?

It's from Ambush Bug (the series, not Year None), so that should explain a lot!

JoeUser on
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    JoeUser wrote: »
    Wildcat wrote: »
    Man, what?

It's from Ambush Bug (the series, not Year None), so that should explain a lot!

This?

Man, they'll do a showcase for anything these days.

Good.

Edit: Hey, while we're talking about the new gods, what are some good, non-kirby bits in the DCU with the new gods and fourth-worlders? Cross-overs preferably.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Rock of Ages. Rock. Of. Ages.

Furu on
  • Options
    ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Seven Soldiers of Victory

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So the word on the street is that Robinson did leave, Mark Waid was put on, than Robinson came back, and Waid was dropped.

But I love Mark Waid.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I would take Waid over Robinson on Superman, but I do want to see Robinson's Justice League come out so I'll take him over Waid if that's the bargaining chip

(i make the calls at DC)

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    The premise behind Robinson's Justice League seems like such a retread though. Plus the cast, save for the notable exception of Congorilla, doesn't really do much for me.

Munch on
  • Options
    BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    SM_682-3.jpg
    Well, this is rather depressing.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Munch wrote: »
    The premise behind Robinson's Justice League seems like such a retread though. Plus the cast, save for the notable exception of Congorilla, doesn't really do much for me.

I just want to see Shazam in something

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I actually forgot Captain Marvel Junior/CM3/Shazam/whatever would be in it.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I never understood why they just didn't change his name to Lieutenant Marvel post-crisis instead of doing that CM3 thing

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So people can forever be reminded of the better Captain Marvel when they try and think of what to call him!

215250-67720-captain-marvel_super.jpg

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Blankspace wrote: »
    SM_682-3.jpg

Oh man, I love Bizarro, but I haven't been reading Superman 'til now so I haven't technically read a full-length Bizarro story. Can't wait!

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Faynor wrote: »
    So people can forever be reminded of the better Captain Marvel when they try and think of what to call him!

215250-67720-captain-marvel_super.jpg

And this is where I insert a witty remark that ranks very high on the nerdometer expressing my general dislike toward Marvel's Captain Marvel, and most of their space-related characters and storylines.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    And this is where I insert a witty remark that ranks very high on the nerdometer expressing my general dislike toward Marvel's Captain Marvel, and most of their space-related characters and storylines.

Quiet you.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Mar-Vell is awesome and I will fight whoever says different

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Mar-Vell is a lame-o queerbucket

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Mar-Vell is a virgin who can't drive

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Keith you are not Mar-Vell

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Blankspace wrote: »
    SM_682-3.jpg

Oh man, I love Bizarro, but I haven't been reading Superman 'til now so I haven't technically read a full-length Bizarro story. Can't wait!

If you want to read a short Bizarro story that's quite fantastic, there is a 2-part mini arc in Grant Morrison's All-Star Superman that's quite good. Also, Geoff Johns wrote a really good Bizarro arc recently, which I believe has been collected in trade format.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I really liked when Bizarro was being developed as a misguided, but ultimately sympathetic monster. There was some story leading up to Infinite Crisis that had Bizarro and Superman part on amiable terms, with Bizarro stating they were the, "Same, but different."

Then Geoff Johns had him beat a man to goo in the opening pages of Infinite Crisis, and ever since I'm like, "Fuck Bizarro. Bring on the blue kryptonite."

Munch on