As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

More Debunking the Relationship Between Video Games and Aggression... With Science!

ZeteniZeteni Registered User regular
edited November 2008 in Debate and/or Discourse
Alright... my first time posting here in years. And even then it was a handful of times only. Hopefully I don't get my ass handed to me on this one for missing something.

So, for my philosophy of science class we had to read and write an essay on a research article from a reputable source. Having done this many times, it was easy, and I decided to revisit a subject which I had reviewed before: The possible causal links between violent video game playing and long and short term aggression.

When I had done this back in 2006, I was dismayed when all of the then current psychology journals and experiments supported the theory that playing violent video games leads to violent and criminal behavior. My beloved discipline of psychology was lambasting my child-hood hobby.

But this morning I happened upon a 2008 article that criticizes those very research reports for the non-standardized measures they used to test aggression, as well as their utter lack of accounting for other existing outside factors that could impact the results of the experiments. To further back their claims, the researchers performed two studies, one experimental and one correlational.

The results of the two research experiments contained in the article support what we gamers have known all along: Violent video games don't lead to violent people, violent and abusive child rearing does (but not spanking). Alright... so apparently genetics play a big factor too, as men were consistently much more likely to display trait aggression and engage in violent criminal behavior than women.

I'd go into more detail, but this post may already be a case of TLDR. If people wish for me to share more, I'll gladly give more details as to the two experiments that comprised this research article. If you want to find it yourself, here's the reference citation:

Fergusun, C., Rueda, S., Cruz, A., Fergusun, D., Fritz, S., & Smith, S. (2008). Violent Video Games and Aggression: Causal Relationships or Byproduct of Family Violence and Intrinsic Violence Motivation. Criminal Justice and Behavior. 35, 311-322

It's a great day. Now the science is on OUR side. Or at least a competing belief in academia is beginning to form. I'd also love to share this article with people that could get it more publicity, but perhaps you guys will do that for me.

Or maybe I'm repeating a topic already covered exhaustively and this article is nothing new to you folks.

Zeteni on

• Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    And if it were that simple, it would be the end of it. But no, it isn't.

Almost any sane person would agree that there is no causal relationship between video games and real world violence. But violent video games may have a correlation to violent behavior, when combined with other determining factor such as home life, genetics, and any one of a thousand other things.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Sentry wrote: »

Almost any sane person would agree that there is no causal relationship between video games and real world violence. But violent video games may have a correlation to violent behavior, when combined with other determining factor such as home life, genetics, and any one of a thousand other things.

One of the theories suggested in the article is that while there is no causal relationship between violent video games, or any violent media for that matter, and the increased aggression in individuals, violent media in any form does give innately violent people ideas on the methods with which they carry out their violent tendencies. Had they not consumed a particular violent media to emulate, they would simply have carried out another. :-/

Zeteni on
  • Options
    ApathyKillsApathyKills __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    so you ignored the numerous articles that asserted something that ran contrary to your beliefs until just one(that you know of) finally came out that did support your bias and so now you're placing all your eggs in that basket?

ApathyKills on
    deleted courtesy orikae
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Zeteni wrote: »

One of the theories suggested in the article is that while there is no causal relationship between violent video games, or any violent media for that matter, and the increased aggression in individuals, violent media in any form does give innately violent people ideas on the methods with which they carry out their violent tendencies. Had they not consumed a particular violent media to emulate, they would simply have carried out another. :-/

Right. As I said, any idiot knows that there isn't a causal relationship between video games and aggression. I wasn't even aware that was still a question with anyone other then Jack Thompson. And frankly, I do think that certain video games can give people who are ALREADY aggressive a means in which to act on that aggression. Similar to people who emulate wrestling moves and kill their little brother. Wrestling didn't cause the violence, but it was a vehicle for it.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    But violent video games may have a correlation to violent behavior, when combined with other determining factor such as home life, genetics, and any one of a thousand other things.
    Forgot to say this... The research from this article specifically shows that when home life (specifically the existence of physical or verbal abuse exists) or genetics is accounted for, that there isn't even a correlation between ANY video game playing (violent or not) and aggressive behavior.

The only correlation between violent gaming and violent behavior that does exist (according to teh research in the article) is that the top quartile of aggressive individuals tend to seek out violent media over other forms for consumption. AKA, you seek out violence because you are violent yourself.

Zeteni on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Right. As I said, any idiot knows that there isn't a causal relationship between video games and aggression. I wasn't even aware that was still a question with anyone other then Jack Thompson. And frankly, I do think that certain video games can give people who are ALREADY aggressive a means in which to act on that aggression. Similar to people who emulate wrestling moves and kill their little brother. Wrestling didn't cause the violence, but it was a vehicle for it.

Oh yeah, there will always be dumbasses like him causing a ruckus. It's just nice to see that there is a scientific article specifically pointing out how wrong he and like minded folks are. (especially when previous research had been saying that video game playing does lead to increased aggression)

Zeteni on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    so you ignored the numerous articles that asserted something that ran contrary to your beliefs until just one(that you know of) finally came out that did support your bias and so now you're placing all your eggs in that basket?
    Yeah, I know. I do have a bias. I'll admit it.

I'm mostly just jazzed to finally see a contrary article that uses more refined criteria. Previous articles had repeatedly neglected to control and account for outside factors that could provide alternate explanations for the results.

Zeteni on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008

For what it's worth I'm a freshman in college and my Psych 101 professor has said more than once that studies suggest that violent media makes people violent. Just today, actually, we were going over the Stanford Prison Experiment and she mentioned that people's willingness to fully adopt a role has pretty scary implications when it comes to video games where you play the role of a violent murderer. That seems like kind of a stretch to me, but yeah, there's at least one person who's presumably pretty smart that thinks that violent media makes you violent.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Wait, I thought serious, intelligent people debunked the "violent media makes you violent" ages ago. Like the constant decrease in violent crimes over the last decade, period. Even with an extreme increase in video games and movies.

If violent movies or music didn't do it... fall to video games?

The confirmation bias falls squarely on the "games are violent" crowd in this respect, for their morally oppressive, blind acceptance of the studies that showed violent video games show an immediate and extremely short term increase in aggressive tendencies sometimes, for some people.

And then it went away. It is rare, rare for the activity to influence actual personality, or behavior long term at all. It is a myth.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    For what it's worth I'm a freshman in college and my Psych 101 professor has said more than once that studies suggest that violent media makes people violent. Just today, actually, we were going over the Stanford Prison Experiment and she mentioned that people's willingness to fully adopt a role has pretty scary implications when it comes to video games where you play the role of a violent murderer. That seems like kind of a stretch to me, but yeah, there's at least one person who's presumably pretty smart that thinks that violent media makes you violent.

It's going to be believed to be such for quite a while. A lot of research suggests just that. The article I mentioned is just one that counters that viewpoint. I'm sure there are others as well out there. As the science matures and more research is done, hopefully it'll be found that violent media doesn't make you more violent. Rather, I hope that that's what the data shows in the end as a result of it being true. Unfortunately, it could still be the case that violent media does lead to increased aggression after all, and that the previous research on the subject is validated. (Though I really hope such is not the case, and that this counter article's model is more accurate.)

Zeteni on
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    But violent video games may have a correlation to violent behavior, when combined with other determining factor such as home life, genetics, and any one of a thousand other things.
    Forgot to say this... The research from this article specifically shows that when home life (specifically the existence of physical or verbal abuse exists) or genetics is accounted for, that there isn't even a correlation between ANY video game playing (violent or not) and aggressive behavior.

The only correlation between violent gaming and violent behavior that does exist (according to teh research in the article) is that the top quartile of aggressive individuals tend to seek out violent media over other forms for consumption. AKA, you seek out violence because you are violent yourself.

So nix on the Diathesis-Stress Model?

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    edited November 2008

That's just weird to me. I mean, she even used a study from a time before video games even existed (unless Pong also makes people violent) as a means of showing that video games cause violence? I mean, there isn't even an invisible line between the two. There's nothing.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Wouldn't the Stanford Prison Experiment relate more (and by more, I mean very slightly more) to P&P roleplaying games? The roles you're required to play in things like D&D are surely more "real" than in video games, as you decide far more for them than in video games, and are encouraged to make in-character decisions far more often.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    That's just weird to me. I mean, she even used a study from a time before video games even existed (unless Pong also makes people violent) as a means of showing that video games cause violence? I mean, there isn't even an invisible line between the two. There's nothing.

Yes, well, this is 2008. And instead of "Judas Priest makes people kill people!" we got "Video games make people violent!"

I'm sure the next big thing will get all the attention, too.

It isn't that there is zero reason to believe video games make people violent. It's that the reasons are bad. Uniformed.

Poor causal relationships, extremely short-term effects, 3 person sampling study in a mental institution...

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008

That's pretty much what I thought. Just so I'm not misrepresenting this, that wasn't her main point, just an aside.

We also talked about violent media a lot with the Bobo doll experiment with kids, and at least that connection makes sense to me. Even then though I can think of a few problems with that conclusion, but I don't know what kind of follow-ups and such have been done.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Gang members slitting the throats of their rivals and beating up strippers. Combatants hacking away with chain saw-equipped assault rifles. Football players taking steroids and celebrating game victories with hookers.

Those images flicker across the screen in some of the 10 video games that a media watchdog group warns should be avoided by kids and teens under 17.

The National Institute on Media and the Family is unveiling its 13th annual video game report card Tuesday to help parents choose games that are appropriate for their children as the holiday shopping season picks up.

The institute in past years has urged the video game industry to develop better ratings and retailers to do more to prevent kids from being able to buy mature-themed games. This year, citing the positive steps taken by industry officials and retailers, the group is focusing on ways parents can play a more active role in safeguarding their children from games that glamorize sex, drugs and violence.

"In spite of the fact that all of the games are rated, in spite of the fact that the retailers are doing a better job, we still know that there are a lot of teenagers who still spend a lot of time playing adult-rated games," said institute president David Walsh.

The institute cited figures from the Pew Internet and American Life Project showing 97 percent of all teens, boys as well as girls, play video games regularly, and most parents pay attention to what their kids are playing. The group wants stronger parental oversight.

"We parents need to wake up and realize that the games our kids play do influence them," said Walsh. "And it's our job to make sure they are playing age-appropriate games. It's the next big step."

A video game guide for parents, including tips on using the parental controls on game consoles, is highlighted in the new report, which will be available on the group's Web site.

Bloodshed and brutality are staples in the list of 10 games to avoid. All the games were M-rated, intended for those aged 17 and over.

"Blitz: The League II" players can target which body part of their football rivals they want to injure. Warriors in "Gears of War 2" use a combination rifle and chain saw. "Saints Row 2" features gang violence and allows players to shoot police officers.

Other games listed were "Dead Space," "Fallout 3," "Far Cry 2," "Legendary," "Left 4 Dead," "Resistance 2" and "Silent Hill: Homecoming."

Meanwhile, the institute recommended five T-rated games, intended for ages 13 and older: "Guitar Hero World Tour," "Rock Band 2," "Rock Revolution" "Spider-Man: Web of Shadows" and "Shaun White Snowboarding."

The above is an article by a "watchdog" group. Note that all "watchdog group" means is a collection of individuals with not a goddamn ounce of authority or weight. Just a bunch of people who get together to shout from their houses. Even the ones whose intents I agree with have little more importance than a collection of bloggers.

But boy do they think they're important.

Below are a few choice quotes from the article.

Gang members slitting the throats of their rivals and beating up strippers. Combatants hacking away with chain saw-equipped assault rifles. Football players taking steroids and celebrating game victories with hookers.

Ooo, it sounds bad so it must be so! All this sex and violence. I hope these people never read any Greek plays. Or the Bible.
    The institute cited figures from the Pew Internet and American Life Project showing 97 percent of all teens, boys as well as girls, play video games regularly, and most parents pay attention to what their kids are playing. The group wants stronger parental oversight.

So almost every child plays these video games regularly? Man, we must have an epidemic of teenagers fucking and killing all over the place.

:|
    "We parents need to wake up and realize that the games our kids play do influence them,"

Yeah. Don't think about it, or present any evidence. Just wake up and believe it. On feeling.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    TalkaTalka Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I haven't read this most recent article, but I read something like twenty longitudinal studies on violent media and aggression two years ago, when I was helping a professor with a review paper he was writing.

The evidence was pretty conclusive that exposure to violent media leads to increased aggression even after you control for lots of stuff.

I haven't read anything about video games in particular, and I'll read the Fergusun paper when I get a chance. But I don't imagine for a minute that the authors actually argue that exposure to video games can't make a kid more violent. The defense of video games has to be that they have real worth as entertainment and that parents just need to make responsible decisions about when and how they expose their kids to them.

Talka on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Talka wrote: »
    I haven't read this most recent article, but I read something like twenty longitudinal studies on violent media and aggression two years ago, when I was helping a professor with a review paper he was writing.

The evidence was pretty conclusive that exposure to violent media leads to increased aggression even after you control for lots of stuff.

I haven't read anything about video games in particular, and I'll read the Fergusun paper when I get a chance. But I don't imagine for a minute that the authors actually argue that exposure to video games can't make a kid more violent. The defense of video games has to be that they have real worth as entertainment and that parents just need to make responsible decisions about when and how they expose their kids to them.

What was your delay? I can quite easily imagine the activation of the sympathetic nervous system and the related hormones leaving the person at least a little twitchy after watching the violent action sequence. I'd suggest either waiting a while of comparing to a group that you have watch Gurren Lagann and another group that you have listen to Palin saying aren't from "real America" in one of her speeches.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

What I like about this one is that they go ahead and say right there that most parents pay attention to what their kids are playing, then say that they want more oversight. So uh, job well done I guess?

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Scalfin wrote: »

What was your delay? I can quite easily imagine the activation of the sympathetic nervous system and the related hormones leaving the person at least a little twitchy after watching the violent action sequence. I'd suggest either waiting a while of comparing to a group that you have watch Gurren Lagann and another group that you have listen to Palin saying aren't from "real America" in one of her speeches.
    This is the valid point I like to summarize as: everyone walked out of seeing The Matrix wanting to shoot a bunch of soldiers in a hallway while dodging bullets and kung-fuing MIBs.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Scalfin wrote: »

This is the valid point I like to summarize as: everyone walked out of seeing The Matrix wanting to shoot a bunch of soldiers in a hallway while dodging bullets and kung-fuing MIBs.

They don't normally?

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    No that was my point: they do i.e. shortly after exposure to...I'm going to go with "stimulating" media because the one thing that never gets addressed is whether it's aggression or adrenaline. Because I'm pretty sure it's not specifically about "lol blood!".

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    That's the big thing.

Those really neat, scientific sounding studies that link aggression with video games? Are measuring that extremely ephemeral increase in aggression following playing a violent game.

Nothing long term. Nothing behavioral, nothing permanent. They see the same boost that anyone can get after seeing or doing something adrenaline boosting, and the media, who, admit now, doesn't know jack shit but loves sensationalism picks that shit up as if it were the last piece of chocolate in the world.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    That's the big thing.

Those really neat, scientific sounding studies that link aggression with video games? Are measuring that extremely ephemeral increase in aggression following playing a violent game.

Nothing long term. Nothing behavioral, nothing permanent. They see the same boost that anyone can get after seeing or doing something adrenaline boosting, and the media, who, admit now, doesn't know jack shit but loves sensationalism picks that shit up as if it were the last piece of chocolate in the world.

'Cause we got troubles, troubles, and that starts with "T" that rhymes with "V" that stands for video games.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I do remember seeing some longitudinal studies that recently finished that did find increases in behavior later in life.

But by god do I not ever, ever, declare it to be only video games. That's retarded. It's the whole visual media spectrum, televison, video, games, internet.

All of it would be contributing, equally.

Nobody treats the media seriously in the field of psychology James Keenan. Nobody.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I do remember seeing some longitudinal studies that recently finished that did find increases in behavior later in life.

But by god do I not ever, ever, declare it to be only video games. That's retarded. It's the whole visual media spectrum, televison, video, games, internet.

All of it would be contributing, equally.

Nobody treats the media seriously in the field of psychology James Keenan. Nobody.

I blame ragtime.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    That's the big thing.

No, there have been longitudinal studies that found that exposure to violent media predicted aggression years later in life even after controlling for the kid's parenting, his SES, his violence before exposure, etc, etc. The media may cover these studies with a sensationalist edge, but that doesn't mean the findings aren't scientifically valid. Trust me, the people running these things aren't idiots. They've thought this through.

Talka on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    What exactly is meant by "aggression" in these studies, anyway? Violence? Competitiveness? I really don't know.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    One more thing: even if violent media only increased aggression in the short term, that means that kids who are playing video games all the time are going to have an elevated level of aggression... all the time. Even if the video games themselves don't cause long-term increased measure of aggression later in life, it's known that being raised around aggression makes you aggressive later in life. The two go hand in hand.

Talka on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Not to mention stretching the term "later in life," and still depending on the causal relationships.

I'm not assuming that these people conducting the studies are idiots. I'm assuming they are extrapolating way too much. Unless people with lab coats are incapable of that.

This isn't precisely the one I've been looking for, but it'll do.
    2r6ns4y.jpg

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited November 2008
    I'm pretty sure the persistance of the whole "violent media doesn't cause violence" is just a factor of people saying "I play/watch violent things and I'm not violent, therefore..."

In a word, dumb.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    What exactly is meant by "aggression" in these studies, anyway? Violence? Competitiveness? I really don't know.

There are a bunch of different ways of measuring it. In shorter studies you either use parents' reports of their kids aggression (either just asking them how aggressive their kid has been acting, or something quantitative like how often they've fought/yelled/punched stuff), or sometimes you actually sit a bunch of observers in a school or around a dinner table and count how often certain kids go around smacking other kids. In longer studies you can use stuff like incarceration rates or self-report questionnaires. There's a lot of different ways of measuring it, and none are perfect, but this set of studies have tried all sorts of measures and they keep finding the effect.

Talka on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    One of the most rational looks at the issue was in Grand Theft Childhood. It was only $5 on Amazon, used. Please check it out.

It focuses more on crime, but it looks very closely at the issue, and where I draw a lot of the references to specifics that I talk about now. It spends time looking at those more likely to behave violently after playing games. hint: *very* few

It also spent time talking about girls play violent games, too, but that's not as relevant...

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Aroduc wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure the persistance of the whole "violent media doesn't cause violence" is just a factor of people saying "I play/watch violent things and I'm not violent, therefore..."

In a word, dumb.

Most? Maybe, but I doubt it.

And yet on the other side I hear just as much the equivalent of "Do you see what they just did? Of course that makes you violent!"

'Cause there's no disconnect between fantasy and reality. OK.

19981209h.jpg

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

There are a bunch of different ways of measuring it. In shorter studies you either use parents' reports of their kids aggression (either just asking them how aggressive their kid has been acting, or something quantitative like how often they've fought/yelled/punched stuff), or sometimes you actually sit a bunch of observers in a school or around a dinner table and count how often certain kids go around smacking other kids. In longer studies you can use stuff like incarceration rates or self-report questionnaires. There's a lot of different ways of measuring it, and none are perfect, but this set of studies have tried all sorts of measures and they keep finding the effect.

All right, that's fair enough. I was a little confused because I don't necessarily think of "aggressive" behavior as negative, but if they're mostly looking at increased acts of hitting or violence or whathaveyou, then it makes a lot more sense.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited November 2008
    James, do you know what adrenaline is and how it affects the body?

Aroduc on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

No, what? Huh? Uh-jre-nulin? o_O

No clue. That a soft drink?

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Not to mention stretching the term "later in life," and still depending on the causal relationships.

I'm not assuming that these people conducting the studies are idiots. I'm assuming they are extrapolating way too much. Unless people with lab coats are incapable of that.

This isn't precisely the one I've been looking for, but it'll do.
    2r6ns4y.jpg

Psychologists have been pretty conservative and measured in what they're comfortable extrapolating out of their data. The consensus is that exposure to violent media increases aggression in short-term and long-term measures even after controlling for everything we believe we can control for. What in that sentence do you have a problem with?

On the other hand, looking just at video game releases and the violent crime rate is pretty obviously unsound scientifically.

Talka on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    It specifically relates to violent crimes. The one I'm actually after is specifically the youth crime rate. The per person and overall rates have been decreasing, dramatically. I'm not meaning to imply that video games are related to the drop at all, but they specifically refute the idea that the rise in video games would cause an increase in youth violence. Because violence has only gone down.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Briefly?

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]