As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ears feel like they should pop, but won't

TwistedJesterTwistedJester Registered User regular
edited January 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Here's my problem. Around last Wednesday (the 24th), I got a cold. Sinuses almost completely clogged, cloudy headed, all the typical cold symptoms. The next day, I ended up having to go up to the 36th floor of a building. Upon coming down, I got the typical feeling of my ears needing to pop, however they wouldn't when I tried to force them to by swallowing. I figured it was just because I was sick and my sinuses were all screwy.

However it's now Tuesday and they still feel like they need to pop. Even worse, it's affecting my hearing, and when I hear sort of loud noises it kind of reverbs in my (mostly right) ear. An example of this is the clicky-clack of typing on a loud keyboard. And sometimes I kind of hear a pulsing sound in my right ear, in rhythm with my heart beat.

So basically, is this something I should be worried about? Should I go see a doctor, or is there anything I can do about this?

TwistedJester on

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Try popping a couple of Sudafed, or another decongestant.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    Also equalizing pressure in your ears/the rest of your head is less about swallowing and more about moving your jaw around and letting air move as freely as possible. In my experience anyway, it feels like there are certain jaw-positions that open up otherwise closed channels for pressure to equalise through.

But a strong decongestant is definitely a good idea. Look at the boxes and make sure you get the one that has the list of symptoms managed that closest matches the symptoms you're experiencing. If you have all the symptoms listed on the sinus-decongestant medicine box plus a headache, the cold-medicine will usually have the same chemicals for the sinus symptoms as the sinus medicine, plus something else for a headache.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    powersspowerss Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Dont fucking forget that the assholes in the Fed have nerfed perfectly good decongestants because of meth addicts or something.

Remember to get your decongestants behind the pharma counter.

powerss on
  • Options
    HazzelhoffHazzelhoff Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Wiggle your ears!

Hazzelhoff on
  • Options
    LondonBridgeLondonBridge __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    Here is what works for me.

1. Pinch your nostrils, close your mouth and blow.

2. Open you jaw like you're trying to make the biggest yawn of your life.

LondonBridge on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Due to the shear amount of problems you are having. You may need to get your ears syringed at your doctors. Definatly try the decons first though.

Blake T on
  • Options
    embrikembrik Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Here is what works for me.

1. Pinch your nostrils, close your mouth and blow.

2. Open you jaw like you're trying to make the biggest yawn of your life.

Or for me - Chew a few pieces of gum at once.

embrik on
    "Damn you and your Daily Doubles, you brigand!"

I don't believe it - I'm on my THIRD PS3, and my FIRST XBOX360. What the heck?
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I've tried Sudafed a couple times, but it was the kind without psuedoephedrine, or whatever they're called. Should I try to get the unnerfed kind?

TwistedJester on
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    I've tried Sudafed a couple times, but it was the kind without psuedoephedrine, or whatever they're called. Should I try to get the unnerfed kind?
    Personally, all pseudoephedrine ever did for me was give me a nasty headache. I prefer the "nerfed" decongestants.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    MoridinMoridin Registered User regular
    edited January 2007

Do what London Bridge said.

Its the same technique for equalizing your ears while diving. Just close your mouth and nose, pinch your nose, and try blowing through it.

Your ear should feel like its filled with air and it should pop. I had a cold recently during which my ears were so clogged even this didn't work.

(don't blow too hard, it can damage your ears)

Moridin on
    sig10008eq.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I think the nose pinching thing worked, although I noticed it took a lot more pressure to pop my left ear than my right. Thanks a lot guys.

Edit: Ok, I've noticed that my ears have slowly gone back to the way they were after some time.... should this be considered normal? I'm not really sick anymore, aside from my nose being kinda runny and a bit congested earlier in the day.

TwistedJester on
  • Options
    capnricocapnrico Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I had this happen once when I had a cold and went up into the mountains. My ears clogged up and I was literally almost deaf for at least a month, long after I was better. One day my ears finally just popped (IT HURT LIKE A FUCKING BASTARD) and I could hear again.

capnrico on
  • Options
    VeridisQuoVeridisQuo Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Sinus infections can take a while to clear up and cause irregular pressures that cause this. It might take a while for them to clear, and if its too long, I'd second going to a doc and finding out their opinion and what they can do for you. Also, if you're still experiencing any sinus infection like symptoms, your doc can give you some antiobiotics that will definately help clear this up.

VeridisQuo on