As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Captain America: Now With 20% More Angst!

• BjacobsBjacobs Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    i'm not a big comic reader, but as a furvent fan of runaways, captain america is a big db (at least in that series)

i'm not saying i'm unpatriotic, but anybody or anything that pushes the patriotism thing too much irks me, and while i don't know anything about the capt, but i can also say i'm not super interested.

just throwing in my 2 cents :)

Bjacobs on
  • VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Speaking as someone who isn't american, I don't buy into the concept of Captain America in the slightest. The whole thing seems almost surreal to me (Australians would just laugh at a Captain Australia, I can tell you that much).

That said, the current run is just amazing and I enjoyed the first omnibus immensely. He went from an uninteresting character who's presence and nigh-omnipotence I've just accepted as the price of reading american comics to a character I was genuinely interested in. And then he died :/

Bucky was awesome during the run too though, and I'm sure I'm going to enjoy the stuff with him as Cap just as much.... shame it will be such a long time before I get to read it!

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2008
    Everyone would laugh at a Captain Australia.

I don't know what you mean by 'buying into the concept' of Cap. Is it what he's supposed to stand for or the character itself?

Bogart on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Virral wrote: »
    Speaking as someone who isn't american, I don't buy into the concept of Captain America in the slightest.
    I might have agreed but we got a Captain called Brian for our very own, which forever endears the Captain Country idea to me.

Wildcat on
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2008
    Some of us also got a Captain Midlands.

Bogart on
    edited November 2008
    This is true, and he is also awesome. We got Maureen Raven.

Wildcat on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Bjacobs wrote: »
    i'm not a big comic reader, but as a furvent fan of runaways, captain america is a big db (at least in that series)

i'm not saying i'm unpatriotic, but anybody or anything that pushes the patriotism thing too much irks me, and while i don't know anything about the capt, but i can also say i'm not super interested.

hey im not saying your stupid or anything but maybe you should read something before you talk about it

Munch on
  • kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Munch wrote: »

hey im not saying your stupid or anything but maybe you should read something before you talk about it

Yea, Captain America stands more for an ideal then for the country in whatever shape it is in. If he is written differently that writer doesn't quite get Captain America.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008

i'm not saying i'm unpatriotic, but anybody or anything that pushes the patriotism thing too much irks me, and

Cap was written as a Big DB in that series. It was the whole "kids vs adults" thing. You would still enjoy Brubaker's Capt run. Guarenteed.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • kingkhankingkhan Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    How does this relate to the Ultimates universe?

kingkhan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    kingkhan wrote: »
    How does this relate to the Ultimates universe?
    Cap there is a Jingoistic asshole.

Fencingsax on
    edited November 2008
    Ok, so it is not the Ultimates.

Another question, since this apparently takes place after at least one person taking up the Captain America mantle: Should I read the issues leading up to this story first?

How far back should I go? I know I read like, one of the original Captain America comic books and it didn't have much to it other than kicking things and spinning around wires. So where's the awesome story stuff start as far as Captain America goes?

Also, this may not be the thread to ask this, but can someone explain the Civil War series to me? I don't mean to summarize it, but to clarify that there is a main Civil War series and then a Civil War series from the perspective of different people, such as Cap. Right?

So maybe that was more than one question, but I've never been in the comic books scene and I wanna be.

kingkhan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2008
    The start of Brubaker's run is a really good place to start. Especially so if you can afford to buy the Omnibus collection of his work.

Wildcat on
    edited November 2008
    Is it going to do a good enough job of filling me in since I have absolutely no background into the Marvel universe other than the fact that I like Captain America and Spider-man?

Oh and that Wolverine is retarded.

kingkhan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    kingkhan wrote: »
    Is it going to do a good enough job of filling me in since I have absolutely no background into the Marvel universe other than the fact that I like Captain America and Spider-man?

Oh and that Wolverine is retarded.

Yes, the Brubaker run does a nice job of providing the basic origin and background details necessary to understand the character. As I stated earlier in this thread, Brubaker's use of WW2 flashbacks are some of my favorite parts of his run, and Cap's origin is directly tied to WW2. He also does a great job of establishing Bucky as a character capable of standing on his own. He isn't just a campy sidekick anymore.

Lucascraft on
    edited November 2008
    Awesome, thanks.

As far as the original Captain America goes, what collections would you recommend?

kingkhan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I have read basically none of cap's old series, and enjoyed the omnibus immensely. That's really the most amazing part about it, is how well he blends together explaining backstory, and then advancing the plot of the book at the same time.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
    edited November 2008
    That works, I'm thinking of settling for the Wikipedia character biography as a replacement.

But then I got to the "Civil War" and "Death of Captain America" sections and didn't want it spoiled.

Does Civil War tie in to the story of his death? I thought Civil War was sort of an alternative universe sort of story that doesn't actually effect the regular comics.

kingkhan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2008
    No, Civil War is very much a part of the mainstream Marvel U, and it does tie in to his death.

Wildcat on
    edited November 2008
    Sweet, reason to read the Civil War series too.

But are there separate Civil War series aside from the main story?

kingkhan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Yes. They can be mostly ignored (although the Spider-man ones were kind of cool I thought).

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
    edited November 2008
    Spidey was decent, Young Avengers / Runaways was decent, the rest were pretty forgettable on the whole. Though I personally quite liked the Wolverine one.

Wildcat on
    edited November 2008
    Heh, what is there a Civil War series from the perspective of every hero? I've previous had no luck trying to find a Civil War set with all of them in it. Do you know of one?

Speaking of Spider-man, what would you say about his Ultimates series? Or is there another series/set I should read instead?

I read the first something of The Runaways
    Last thing I remember was Alex being in Hell

Does the series get any better after that or am I fine skipping it?

kingkhan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Runaways is incredible but you really should be reading it from the beginning.

Also Ultimate Spider-Man is the best incarnation of the character ever, but is also something that should be read from the beginning.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2008
    Do you mean "beginning" as in the golden age?

I was under the assumption that I had been reading The Runaways from the beginning. The only obstacle is figuring out where in the timeline their Civil War series starts so I know which order to read, but that shouldn't be hard.

kingkhan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2008
    Ultimate Spider-Man launched in the year 2000

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2008
    Runaways has only been out for a few years, so you may well have been doing so.

Ultimate Spider-Man is the same, it is absolutely fantastic and I thoroughly recommend pretty much every single issue.

Wildcat on
    edited November 2008
    I didn't know you meant the beginning of Ultimate Spider-man. I thought you meant the beginning of Spider-man regularly.

So I guess I'll stick with the new Bucky as Cap, Civil War, Runaways and Ultimate Spider-man stories for now. If I feel the need to delve into the past stories I'll do it later.

Thanks for the help!

kingkhan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2008
    Just so you know, the stuff branded "Ultimate" is a completley seperate continuity from the mainline Marvel U. They created the Ultimate line back in 2000 as a way to draw in new readers without decades of convoluted backstory to have to worry about.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2008
    Until they created their own, all-new convoluted background!

Wildcat on
    edited November 2008
    No, I knew. I thought I might not have been clear with my post.

I just feel like I'm missing out on something if I don't read the older stuff too, but if you guys swear by his Ultimates series then I can wait to read the older stuff.

Edit: Looking at the Marvel site. Is the Runaways Civil War the same as Civil War: Young Avengers & Runaways?

Also what's the difference between Civil War: Amazing Spider-man and Civil War: Peter Parker, Spider-man?

kingkhan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2008
    My point was just that Ultimate Spider-Man is not the same character as regular Spider-Man. Of course there are great classic Spidey stories from the 60s, 70s, 80s, (not so much the 90s)

but as far as Ultimate Spider-Man goes the very first trade is his origin story and it just goes from there.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2008
    Hm, it's going to be difficult to track down which those are.

Gah, so many questions. Is the Civil War timeline set in the Ultimates universe? If not, the description for the Amazing Spider-man Civil War collection makes me want to read the older Spider-man stuff first.
    After rushing to the aftermath of the Stamford Massacre to offer aid to its victims...

Wait what? I know so little. If the Civil War series takes place in the regular Marvel universe I'm gonna have to read the older stuff first.

kingkhan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2008
    Civil War takes place in the regular Marvel Universe

and the Stamford Massacre takes place in the first issue of the Civil War series

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2008
    Hm. I assume they have the entire entire Spider-man series in a collection by now, right?

kingkhan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2008
    hahahaha

hahahahahahahaha

hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2008
    :( how ma gonna catch up?

Edit: Wtf? How many series of these characters are there? Captain America: The Chosen?

It's like there are roughly 25,000 comics to get through. I AM DROWNING IN THE POSSIBILITIES.

kingkhan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2008
    a lot of it isn't worth catching up on.

And there's been so many retcons and so much time has gone by that a lot of it is severely disconntected from the current title and character.

Not to say that there aren't plenty of good stories in there you should look for, but trying to go back and read every single issue of Spider-Man since Amazing Fantasy #15 is pretty much a fool's errand.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2008
    So what do I read? The goal is to read the awesome bits of the main storylines, but I haven't the slightest clue what I'm doing.

kingkhan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2008
    Hold my hand.

kingkhan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]