As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] Bjorns mottar haelgond sygar [chat]

• Options
    shanisshanis LCDR, US Navy Maryland, USARegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    As a prot warrior wearing mostly ZA/T5 tanking gear, with rings/cloak being T6, I've only upgraded three things by L75. Riot Shield from Violet Hold, a blue quest reward axe (you prot people know the one), and a blue ring from...some dungeon somewhere, I forget. All of my armor is intact.

I've found raw upgrades for some of those slots but sold them because, after taking enchants/gems into account on my existing gear, the upgrade is no longer worth it. Upgrading weapon/shield was easier to do, because loosing a +18 stam enchant from my ZA shield and Mongoose from my Lurker mace was bearable considering the stat increases on both of those items. Jewelry is easy to replace sans enchants. I don't anticipate upgrading my armor until L80 where I can factor in enchants again.

shanis on
    Origin(BF4) - hunter28100 / Steam - Shanis

"Uh, I have never said that you are not good at what you do. It's just that what you do is not worth doing." -S.C.
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    shanis wrote: »
    As a prot warrior wearing mostly ZA/T5 tanking gear, with rings/cloak being T6, I've only upgraded three things by L75. Riot Shield from Violet Hold, a blue quest reward axe (you prot people know the one), and a blue ring from...some dungeon somewhere, I forget. All of my armor is intact.

I've found raw upgrades for some of those slots but sold them because, after taking enchants/gems into account on my existing gear, the upgrade is no longer worth it. Upgrading weapon/shield was easier to do, because loosing a +18 stam enchant from my ZA shield and Mongoose from my Lurker mace was bearable considering the stat increases on both of those items. Jewelry is easy to replace sans enchants. I don't anticipate upgrading my armor until L80 where I can factor in enchants again.

Northrend was itemized really oddly to be honest. As a death knight I replaced everything on my first few quests (obviously at level 68 so that makes sense) but once I did nexus and utgarde keep and got the quest rewards there, I pretty much stopped getting upgrades (aside from the occasional ring or trinket sidegrade) until just recently (77).

Dissociater on
  • Options
    OboroOboro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    I took a steady stream of Northrend upgrades mid-70s, but now that I'm 80, I've hit a bit of a strange problem in that I'm effectively +haste-capped (as a Daggers Rogue, the slope for contribution-per-point gets very harsh very fast) and I still see a ton of gear that overemphasizes it. :/

The +armor penetration I don't mind as much, because it's much harder to find a "soft cap" for that. As long as my other stats are cool, okay, sure, I'll take however much +pen. It does something.

With the +haste, however, I've already hit the point where I swapped out a trinket because its Use: effect of +140 haste was netting me a reduction of 0.02 seconds per swing on each hand.

That, uh, changes my 120DPS weapons into 120.24 DPS ones. .24 + .12(1.5) = 0.42DPS benefit from +140 haste for 20 seconds. :|

There's some other insignificant benefit from the fact that I'm receiving additional [very small] fractional chances at procs of things, but ... well, it's bullshit. That's my point. Blizzard seems to be pushing daggers very hard, and sticking half of the budget for each into +haste is dumb.

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    Gnomeland SecurityGnomeland Security Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Northrend was itemized really oddly to be honest. As a death knight I replaced everything on my first few quests (obviously at level 68 so that makes sense) but once I did nexus and utgarde keep and got the quest rewards there, I pretty much stopped getting upgrades (aside from the occasional ring or trinket sidegrade) until just recently (77).

Each really long extended quest chain or instance quest has a blue reward at the end of it
    That blue reward is equal to a piece of TK/SSC gear from Burning Crusade WoW

If you are wearing Sunwell/BT gear, you basically replace a ring and an amulet til level 80

At level 80, you either grind heroics for that 1 random epic at the end or pray for Naxx

Ive actually heard people talking about going BACK to Sunwell on my server for gear because they are so pissed about the WotLK itemization and already burn through their 10 man Naxx timer too fast

Btw, we've noticed a TON of plate drops that constantly get DEed as we continue to not bring plate wearers :(

I know they crammed the loot table with plate to make the paladins/DEATHKNIGHTS/warriors happy, but some cloth would have been nice.... please?

btw, i havent checked too closely, but are there any truly great factional reward gear?

Gnomeland Security on
  • Options
    shanisshanis LCDR, US Navy Maryland, USARegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    btw, i havent checked too closely, but are there any truly great factional reward gear?

I see some good starter gear that keeps me interested in grinding rep. Can't cite specific examples since I'm at work and that shit be blocked, mon. But for a prot warrior, dragon rep appears to be first and foremost.

shanis on
    Origin(BF4) - hunter28100 / Steam - Shanis

"Uh, I have never said that you are not good at what you do. It's just that what you do is not worth doing." -S.C.
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Each of the high-end factions (Crusade, Ebon Blade, Kirin Tor, etc.) seems to have a few epics with the same iLevel as the Heroic drops. The ones relevant to my class look really great, but it seems absolutely, impossibly impractical to grind towards Exalted for most of those factions just to get that heroic-equivalent piece.

On the other hand, I am pretty much forced to grind Ebon Blade to Revered on my Rogue because they have the new melee DPS head enchant, so I'll probably just keep the tabard on me after that and work towards the epic leather melee DPS chestpiece they have at Exalted.

Unfortunately, there's also a few other ways to get iLevel 200 epic chests, and less for other slots, so ... actually I guess I swap out of Ebon Blade once I ding Revered and start the long trek to Exalted somewhere else where the piece is more valuable statistically. :|

Though honestly it seems like it's infinitely more rewarding just to make sure you use your Naxx reset weekly, and to only shoot for the more obtainable methods otherwise. Hitting Exalted in a faction and getting the one epic they might have for my class would just be gravy that I can't imagine being useful by the time it actually happened.

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Each really long extended quest chain or instance quest has a blue reward at the end of it
    Equal in terms of item budget I'm sure, but in terms of actual stats, not so much. I've d/e'd everything up until I dinged 80 in Zul'Drak as far as quest rewards, be they blue or green, because so much of everything has haste or armor penetration.

Frankly I wouldn't mind that if I knew that the devs were going to make +hit less necessary, but so far I haven't heard anything about that. And again, so few items even have sockets to supplement those missing stats should you so elect.

It's really strange; usually they've been learning from every experience in the previous game's content. With quests and instances, that's certainly been true, but for itemization, it seems like a giant step back from TBC.

Halfmex on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    We're almost out of time on Refer a Friend, so last night my friend gave my paladin 30 levels. I had been planning on upping my warlock, but the pally has engineering and I also wanted to try out some of his specs more than anything else.

It was like 200 gold for all the abilities from 30 to 60! You don't notice it as you're doing it naturally. But it felt so good to fill out a whole character so quickly...sort of like making a DK.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Halfmex wrote: »
    I've still got my Drape of the Dark Reavers. There haven't been any quest or instance upgrades up through Zul'Drak at least. And the only reason I upgraded my Worgen Claw Necklace is that I bought the Jade Dagger Pendant on the AH (and even there I lost a bunch of +hit).

Halls of Stone has a badass cloak that is the Drape of Dark Reavers +40 AP and +20 hit rating. I lost the roll last night :(http://www.wowhead.com/?item=38614

mastman on
    ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku
  • Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    mastman wrote: »
    I've still got my Drape of the Dark Reavers. There haven't been any quest or instance upgrades up through Zul'Drak at least. And the only reason I upgraded my Worgen Claw Necklace is that I bought the Jade Dagger Pendant on the AH (and even there I lost a bunch of +hit).
    Halls of Stone has a badass cloak that is the Drape of Dark Reavers +40 AP and +20 hit rating. I lost the roll last night :(http://www.wowhead.com/?item=38614
    Yeah I saw that on Wowhead. What level is that instance?

Halfmex on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    The 'level' of instances doesn't seem to mean jack shit. On my server I see levels 77+ running the "level 80 instances" and having a hard time, but still clearing them with a minimum of problems. If you can get into a group for an instance, and you're 77+, you should be fine to do anything, though as melee DPS you're going to feel the burn the most from anything conning orange/red.

Anyway, by the numbers, I think Halls of Stone is the 78-80 Ulduar wing, and Lightning is the level 80 one, but I could have them backwards. 90% sure, though.

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Halls of Stone is lvl 77.

mastman on
    ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited November 2008
    Oboro wrote: »
    Anyway, by the numbers, I think Halls of Stone is the 78-80 Ulduar wing, and Lightning is the level 80 one, but I could have them backwards. 90% sure, though.

Correct.

I still haven't done Lightning. Guess it'll be yet another one I do on heroic for my first time.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    The 'level' of instances doesn't seem to mean jack shit. On my server I see levels 77+ running the "level 80 instances" and having a hard time, but still clearing them with a minimum of problems. If you can get into a group for an instance, and you're 77+, you should be fine to do anything, though as melee DPS you're going to feel the burn the most from anything conning orange/red.

Ok cool. Just was hoping I didn't miss it while leveling, I tried to do every instance in every zone at least once or twice as I went, but I stopped in Zul'Drak.

Halfmex on
  • Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I remember back at level 70, I went through a whole lot of normal instances before I started in on heroics. But this time, it's like "It's level 80, time for heroics." Are endgame 5-mans run more often on normal mode or heroic mode nowadays?

SabreMau on
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Herioc for sure. I know as soon as I hit 80 I started on heriocs and so did everyone else in my guild. And given the number of herioc pugs i've been in where the tank doesn't know what the fuck he's supposed to do against bosses, i'd say everyone else has as well.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2008

If you are wearing Sunwell/BT gear, you basically replace a ring and an amulet til level 80

At level 80, you either grind heroics for that 1 random epic at the end or pray for Naxx

Ive actually heard people talking about going BACK to Sunwell on my server for gear because they are so pissed about the WotLK itemization and already burn through their 10 man Naxx timer too fast

Btw, we've noticed a TON of plate drops that constantly get DEed as we continue to not bring plate wearers :(

I know they crammed the loot table with plate to make the paladins/DEATHKNIGHTS/warriors happy, but some cloth would have been nice.... please?

I've heard a lot of complaints about lack of upgrades this time around. It's funny to me because I was a vanilla raider (up to and including naxx), so I didn't replace much stuff until the mid 60s, and there was a lot of stuff that I was still in at level 70 from naxx. It didn't bother me too much but I didn't hear people complaining as much about it then but maybe I just wasn't paying attention, or maybe there weren't as many raiders at the end of vanilla as there are at the end of TBC? Either way, it's the other way around for me now, being a death knight I went into northrend with nothing and replaced it all immediately, but have gotten little to nothing in terms of upgrades from about 72-76 (starting to get stuff now at 77 though). Even long quest rewards have been a bit worse, or just equal to what I already had.

I also wish I'd go with you on your 5 mans, it wasn't until just this level that I got any drops in an instance (Troll butcherer sword). Everything that's been dropping for my instances have been leather, or cloth, I still actually haven't seen a plate drop in an instance yet haha.

Dissociater on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Is Blizzard trying to make spirit something to hoot at?

4 pieces: Casting Life Tap grants you an additional 300 spirit for 10 seconds.

http://www.wowhead.com/?itemset=802

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    SabreMau wrote: »
    I remember back at level 70, I went through a whole lot of normal instances before I started in on heroics. But this time, it's like "It's level 80, time for heroics." Are endgame 5-mans run more often on normal mode or heroic mode nowadays?
    I see level 77s and 78s running the endgame 5-mans on normal, and level 80s spamming /LFG constantly for "LF1M any heroic please for the love of God we just need a healer any heroic, your choice of heroic, any heroic, please, please, please"

maybe once the Death Knight rush dies down we can make a more fair appraisal of this situation but currently PUGing is a dead art on my server. I look in the LFG tool and instances routinely have +20 DPS listed, a handful of tanks, and everyone that's bothered to leave a comment simply has one that says 'just need a healer then gtg.'

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    SabreMau wrote: »
    I see level 77s and 78s running the endgame 5-mans on normal, and level 80s spamming /LFG constantly for "LF1M any heroic please for the love of God we just need a healer any heroic, your choice of heroic, any heroic, please, please, please"

maybe once the Death Knight rush dies down we can make a more fair appraisal of this situation but currently PUGing is a dead art on my server. I look in the LFG tool and instances routinely have +20 DPS listed, a handful of tanks, and everyone that's bothered to leave a comment simply has one that says 'just need a healer then gtg.'

They should have released a 2nd heroic class that was a healer heroic heh. Hopefully that's next.

Dissociater on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I'm seriously considering levelling my druid the entire way from 70-80 as resto, to sate this need, but damnit, I don't know how much I can stand running the same instances over and over.

I wonder how many level-appropriate instance runs, in total, it might take.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    70-71 took me eight instance runs (four Nexus, four UK) at that point I thought, 'Fuck this, I'll just run the others once or twice each.'

815165 on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    815165 wrote: »
    70-71 took me eight instance runs (four Nexus, four UK) at that point I thought, 'Fuck this, I'll just run the others once or twice each.'

That's sad. Not that it should be changed, but I can't see myself doing so much of the exact same thing, and god knows I'm not going to solo as resto.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I think the number of sidegrades you get in your mid 70s have to do with the fact that the alot of the content spread out across the early zones is designed to be for the same level. Once you hit 77 and start getting into the end zones like Storm Peaks and Icecrown then you start seeing upgrades again.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Almost all the mail spell gear has haste, and almost none of it has +spell hit. What the hell?

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Well ideally we'll be seeing dual specs soon, so that it won't be a problem having our healing spec so as to be invited to instances, and our dps spec for questing/soloing xp.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    their only goal is to try to curb inflation, it's not too bad. It ain't hard to make 1k gold.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Yes, gold sinks are absolutely necessary in a game that creates as much money as wow does from thin air.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    CerriusCerrius Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Saturday night I got a 72 priest to stick around after a Nexus run. The last instance we ran that night was Drak'Tharon, in which he got atleast 2 upgrades he could not yet wear.

Cerrius on
    [SIGPIC]image.php?type=sigpic&userid=5578&dateline=1219903129[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I still have yet to finish a Nexus run. All 5 I've tried to do have had someone leave before we finished more than 2 of the bosses.

Since I'm level 78 now, no real point in doing anything but wait to run the heroic.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2008
    Yes, gold sinks are absolutely necessary in a game that creates as much money as wow does from thin air.

With 20k elephants and 12k bicycles, I think that WoW has got the money sink aspect covered.

Munkus Beaver on
    Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    With 20k elephants and 12k bicycles and 5k epic flying and 1k cold weather flying, I think that WoW has got the money sink aspect covered.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    and 8k rings for an achievment

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    My beef with the Cold Weather Flying thing isn't the 1k, that's easy as hell to make. It's the fact that they could have made it a quest (and did, actually, then removed it), but chose to make it a bought skill instead. The quest that you used to get it from is actually a lot of fun and it's easy. That would have been more satisfying to me than just "hey, show me how to fly in Northrend. 'kay thanks".

Halfmex on
  • Options
    Gnomeland SecurityGnomeland Security Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Equal in terms of item budget I'm sure, but in terms of actual stats, not so much. I've d/e'd everything up until I dinged 80 in Zul'Drak as far as quest rewards, be they blue or green, because so much of everything has haste or armor penetration.

Frankly I wouldn't mind that if I knew that the devs were going to make +hit less necessary, but so far I haven't heard anything about that. And again, so few items even have sockets to supplement those missing stats should you so elect.

It's really strange; usually they've been learning from every experience in the previous game's content. With quests and instances, that's certainly been true, but for itemization, it seems like a giant step back from TBC.

Ya but i have a huge problem with putting on 10 levels and still wearing the same gear. My warrior is going to need to increase his defense rating, hit cap and block values...

ok fine, the caps increased... but what i have to give up to hit that is painful. My DPS set is still widely made up of enhancement shaman mail and rogue leather because THOSE are the Black Temple pieces that gave me the greatest increases to DPS...

Am i sad i have like 100+ extra points of agility on a warrior? Yes... but what bothers me more is that blizzard is going out of their way with itemization to take that agility away from me.

I still say my warrior was doing a LOT better after 3.0 wearing mail and leather because i was generating a ton of rage from taking more damage and dishing out dps like a monster.

Am i as good as a mage covered in T6? No, but i dont think casters are too happy atm.

The casters in my guild refuse to waste time/money grinding rep or making craft-able gear which they will replace in ~3 weeks as we clear Naxx over and over for better gear. I pointed out that the epic dagger (402 spell damage?) from patchwork puts all of the BT.Sunwell items to shame (259 archimonde, 292 kiljaden)... so why cant they spend itemization points intelligently like that across the board?

Btw, as a side note, i saw a rogue last night with an offhand warglaive and a season 1 main hand...

W T F!

Gnomeland Security on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    What was the quest?

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    What was the quest?
    It was the one in Sholazar where you fly in that plane near the avalanche and have to shoot down the gargoyles with missles (then you get shot, plane catches fire and you have to fly back to the oasis to land).

Halfmex on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Ya but i have a huge problem with putting on 10 levels and still wearing the same gear.
    Oh believe me, so do I.
    Btw, as a side note, i saw a rogue last night with an offhand warglaive and a season 1 main hand...

W T F!
    Holy hell. I can't even imagine how that would be possible. Well, probable anyway.

Halfmex on
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So, my account was hacked at some point in the last two years, but I spent most of last night installing my burning crusade and wrath discs and downloading updates and whatnot. I never actually got in the game.

Servers were down for maintenance this morning, so I couldn't see my characters, but I suddenly have 6 characters on Mal'ganis, 3 on Kargath, and one each on at least a dozen other servers. Uhhh.

When I get home from work this evening, the best I can hope for is someone not having deleted my rogue or lock, I guess. I have a feeling my rogue is going to be in the middle of the ocean, Jason Bourne amnesia style, stripped buck naked as the day he was born, all items including hearthstone sold.

If my old characters were deleted, I'm going to be really bummed about having spent $75 in expansions just to find that out, since I don't want to level a new character from 1-60+.

Man, I don't even know where to start with the UI and things like that, assuming I have characters still.

desc on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    What was the quest?
    It was the one in Sholazar where you fly in that plane near the avalanche and have to shoot down the gargoyles with missles (then you get shot, plane catches fire and you have to fly back to the oasis to land).
    I wasn't in the beta.

SithDrummer on
This discussion has been closed.