As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Ever get paid to do nothing?

i n c u b u si n c u b u s Registered User regular
edited November 2008 in Social Entropy++
We've all had to work for "the man" at some point and sometimes it can be quite hillarious. What am I getting at? While there are those pain in the ass jobs where you work yourself to death there are those jems where you have the best time ever and get cash for it. What's your experience? Whats your worst/best jobs?

My Experience:
I couldn't help myself from posting this but I really can't stress how ridiculous the situation I'm in is. I currently work "Lets just say the gov." Now I really have no intent to do this for the rest of my life but I've got bills to pay and what not. Whats funny is, as serious as my job sounds I always find myself in positions like where I'm at right now which is pretty much getting paid to post and scope out the PA forums. Technically I'm supposed to be answering phones at the moment but no one has called all day so I've basically got nothing to do. It's funny how this is probably the easiest job I've ever had which pays waaaaaay more than any other job previous to this and I've had to work my ass off to get half of what I make now before. If you were to ask me what I do I honestly couldn't tell you because I really don't know but when people ask I tell them "I watch google video all day." They think I'm joking but in all seriousness I can't tell you how many paychecks I've gotten from strictly posting on forums and watching Youtube videos.

Edited for protection. Who's you might ask? Mine.

Platinum FC: 4941 2152 0041
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
i n c u b u s on

• FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    ITT your boss reads this and you get fired

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    ITT those of us who are willing and eager to work but can't find any tell you to go fuck yourself with a cactus.

DrZiplock on
  • msuitepyonmsuitepyon Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I've done a few internships where I just rock back and forth in my roller chair and play on the internet. Interspersed with a little looking busy when someone walked by.

msuitepyon on
  • bentbent Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I work at blockbuster. I get paid to sit around watching crap on tv, essentially.

bent on
    sig1.png
  • WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    My current job: Go to work, sit at a computer and browse the forums until my manager leaves, set up a 360 behind the counter, connect to xbox live, Halo 3. It's pretty glorious. I beat Halo 3 on legendary in 1 shift, no customers came in at all that day though. (Store ran by a large organization that does the whole "public service" thing rather than "make money" thing)

It's pretty sweet... Sometimes I have to deal with some shitty customers, but the people I work with just joke around all day and then game whenever the manager isn't looking.

Sometimes I'll order a pizza or some wings or something... Typically I'll have a bag of chips.

Wezoin on
  • SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2008
    I quit my last job where I did nothing all day to take this one up where I'm flat out most of the time and relish down-time like I currently have.

I found that going into work for 8am to sit at a desk pretending to work and just browsing forums was really soul-sucking and just generally got me down. Maybe it's just me, but I like to spend my days actually doing stuff.

SporkAndrew on
    The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    ITT way to be a drag on the productivity of the nation and therefore the economy, Faggotronicus Rex.

NotASenator on
  • MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    bent wrote: »
    I work at blockbuster. I get paid to sit around watching utterly worthless and fucking soul-sucking miserable trash on tv, essentially.

the best thing that ever happened to me when I worked there was putting the promos on dvd. what's that kenny chesney? you want to be skipped?

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • i n c u b u si n c u b u s Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    This is posted with my cell, no worries.

i n c u b u s on
    Platinum FC: 4941 2152 0041
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2008
    Mysst wrote: »
    I work at blockbuster. I get paid to sit around watching utterly worthless and fucking soul-sucking miserable trash on tv, essentially.

the best thing that ever happened to me when I worked there was putting the promos on dvd. what's that kenny chesney? you want to be skipped?

You had to watch those promo DVD's? Our policy is that as long as it's got a BBFC classification of 12 or less, you can watch it. So far I've watched every season of the simpsons and most of my favourite childhood movies.

bent on
    sig1.png
  • Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    DrZiplock wrote: »
    ITT those of us who are willing and eager to work but can't find any tell you to go fuck yourself with a cactus.

Word. I'm a formerly enlisted marine and getting a job for the guv'ment answering phones and working in a supply depot is apparently out of my reach. Something to do with a couple of distant relatives that I have who think that Texas should secede from the Union.

How the fuck am I a security risk because of some assholes I haven't seen or talked to in over a decade?

Darth Waiter on
  • FutoreFutore Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I do nothing and don't get paid for it.

Futore on
    ETqXK.png
  • Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I have personally walked out on the pizza place near my old base 4 fucking times without paying

I cheated those over-pricing bastards out of $50 at least

not really sticking it to "the man"

just sticking it to a man

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • humblehumble Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Futore wrote: »

stop fighting the good fight

its time for you to get some children and force them to make clothing

humble on
    edited November 2008

You had to watch those promo DVD's? Our policy is that as long as it's got a BBFC classification of 12 or less, you can watch it. So far I've watched every season of the simpsons and most of my favourite childhood movies.
    yeah, but this was like a decade ago at a particular franchise, too. man, I remember when we converted everything to dvd and everyone started bitching because it was a town full of old people what only had vcrs.

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
    edited November 2008
    DrZiplock wrote: »

Word. I'm a formerly enlisted marine and getting a job for the guv'ment answering phones and working in a supply depot is apparently out of my reach. Something to do with a couple of distant relatives that I have who think that Texas should secede from the Union.

How the fuck am I a security risk because of some assholes I haven't seen or talked to in over a decade?
    to be fair, the rest of us agree with them.

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • World as MythWorld as Myth a breezy way to annoy serious people Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    how many threads like this can we have in one given week

World as Myth on
    kQwcZLJ.png
  • Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

I swear, it's like someone's paying them for 'em

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
    edited November 2008

yeah, but this was like a decade ago at a particular franchise, too. man, I remember when we converted everything to dvd and everyone started bitching because it was a town full of old people what only had vcrs.

Haha. We're currently going through that on a smaller scale; when people bring a blu-ray up to the counter you have to interrogate them until they admit to having no fucking clue what it is.

bent on
    sig1.png
  • RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

A lot, given that most of us aren't really working very hard.

Ruckus on
    edited November 2008

Fuck your anti-Texas sentiments; we make great beef jerky and brisquet.

And I defy you to tell me that Texas doesn't have hot women. Eva Longoria is just the tip of the iceberg.

Darth Waiter on
  • FutoreFutore Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    humble wrote: »

I get children to protest for me all day. Then I eat their lunches and make them sign petitions for the rest of the afternoon.

Futore on
    ETqXK.png
  • RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Fuck your anti-Texas sentiments; we make great beef jerky and brisquet.

And I defy you to tell me that Texas doesn't have hot women. Eva Longoria is just the tip of the iceberg.

nip of the iceberg.

Ruckus on
  • World as MythWorld as Myth a breezy way to annoy serious people Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    World as Myth on
    kQwcZLJ.png
  • Rampant EntityRampant Entity Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I once slept for 6 hours in an 8 hour shift.

Rampant Entity on
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    We've all had to work for "the man" at some point and sometimes it can be quite hillarious. What am I getting at? While there are those pain in the ass jobs where you work yourself to death there are those jems where you have the best time ever and get cash for it. What's your experience? Whats your worst/best jobs?

My Experience:
    Government Job

seriously, everthing for the government besides like DMV is like that from what I've seen.

Bucketman on
    edited November 2008
    I went to a Hooters in Texas and all of the waitresses were like 4'10"

NotASenator on
  • humblehumble Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    humble wrote: »

I get children to protest for me all day. Then I eat their lunches and make them sign petitions for the rest of the afternoon.

the thought of children protesting would be so cute

with their little scowly faces and signs made of construction paper and glitter

humble on
    edited November 2008

just ignore the stupidity WaM

maybe it'll just go away if we don't pay it any attention

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
    edited November 2008

Hater. Why you gotta hate?

Darth Waiter on
    edited November 2008
    my god, what else would I do with my time

World as Myth on
    kQwcZLJ.png
    edited November 2008
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I went to a Hooters in Texas and all of the waitresses were like 4'10"

That would be Midgetville; it's south of Tallberg and
    west of Averageheighton.

WaM edit: You could, I dunno, get into gchat and we could discuss songs, ice and fire.

Darth Waiter on
    edited November 2008
    If I'm lucky, sometimes I can squeeze in 2 - 3 hour naps at work.

God, I love working at a dead self-serve gas station.

Rampant Entity on
    edited November 2008
    If I'm lucky, sometimes I can squeeze in 2 - 3 hour naps at work.

God, I love working at a dead self-serve gas station.
    do you really

do you really

World as Myth on
    kQwcZLJ.png
    edited November 2008

develop you latent psychic abilities?

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
    edited November 2008
    Well, yeah, considering I work only part time and on midnight shifts. All I do is read books, listen to music, and once in awhile watch a good movie.

Rampant Entity on
  • SilvoculousSilvoculous Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Once in a blue moon I get tagged to go work the donations door at my thrift store.

Essentially I sit back in a huge chair and read/play my PSP/watch movies for six hours. Occasionally a person will show up. I take their shit, give them a donation slip, and they leave. Manager doesn't care what I do.

I was on the door for about an hour last week (Friday). Had practically the whole store to myself. It rocked.

Silvoculous on
    edited November 2008

She also knit you this sweater.

NotASenator on
  • lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    i like my job

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
    edited November 2008
    NotACrook wrote: »

She also knit you this sweater.

very nice

you get a golden star

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif