As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX Agenda?

EnragedBulletEnragedBullet Registered User new member
edited December 2008 in PAX Archive
Apologize in advance because I am unfortunately a "new kid" to the site. However out of curiosity, what occurs at a Penny Arcade Exposition event. I have never heard or traveled to an event. The very first opportunity for my knowledge of PAX was an announcement on Bungie.net. So, you can infer that I am interesting in attending a PAX event but I require more information.

:?:

By EnragedBullet.
EnragedBullet on

• ACC3SSACC3SS Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    ACC3SS on
  • TransparentTransparent Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    PAX is different things to different people. My site is out of date at this point, but this page has most of the major components: http://pax.wikidot.com/event-info

PAX is really an event about the people. People who have the best time are just there to hang out and enjoy the gaming mecca around them.

Transparent on
    PAXtrain '10, let's do this!
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited October 2008
    Also, don't expect any big awesome prize for the normal tournaments, nor should you expect it to be an event of professional gaming. Tournaments, like everything else at PAX, are just for fun (there are prizes, but there's no huge $Texas prize for being the best at teh haloz).

The Omegathon is another story, but it's also random selection of preregistrants, so your chances of getting to participate in that is slim.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    just go, dude. you won't regret it, i personally guarantee it!

(guarantee void in all 50 states)

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • JonnyNeroJonnyNero Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    It all depends on what your taste is. I've just said "If you're a gamer or geek of any type, go and figure out the rest when you get there" That's what I did last year (my first) and had the most fun I've ever had in a while.

If you really want to plan...just soak in as much information as you can between now and when you go, and try to do as many of the community events that you can. There you will meet a lot of veterans who can clue you in on some of the lesser known cool stuff to do.

The only thing that sucks about a PAX experience...is that there is no way you can enjoy it's entirety in one go. There's just too much to do.

JonnyNero on
  • dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    JonnyNero wrote: »

The only thing that sucks about a PAX experience...is that there is no way you can enjoy it's entirety in one go. There's just too much to do.
    ditto on that. check out the schedule before you go, but only pick out the few things that are top priority to you. every year, i wind up highlighting everything i want to see in the schedule, then i wind up missing a whole bunch of them. a lot of things will wind up better than you think, and you'll wind up going to those, and you must also take into account eating time, resting time, and general recreation time (smoke breaks, for me!). what i'm saying is, a well planned schedule will not help much.

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • Oz K. FodrotskiOz K. Fodrotski Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I had a detailed, well-laid-out schedule going into PAX last year.

It was promptly abandoned. The experience was entirely wonderful.

There's a lot to do at PAX, indeed, I want to do more next year -- but the first, best step, is to simply be at PAX.

Oz K. Fodrotski on
  • Atlus ParkerAtlus Parker Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Don't forget all the community events. :winky:

Atlus Parker on
  • MeeOkMeeOk Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I had looked at the different things that were going on, and had things all planned out for PAX '08.. my first convention/expo ever, and those plans promptly got thrown out the window. I did make it to the 1st Q&A, as well as the closing ceremony/final round of the Omegathon, and one other panel, but the rest of the time I just wandered around socializing. :)

MeeOk on
    edited November 2008
    MeeOk wrote: »
    I had looked at the different things that were going on, and had things all planned out for PAX '08.. my first convention/expo ever, and those plans promptly got thrown out the window. I did make it to the 1st Q&A, as well as the closing ceremony/final round of the Omegathon, and one other panel, but the rest of the time I just wandered around socializing. :)

yeah, one thing i did manage this year was getting to all the omegathon rounds for the first time ever! also, the penny arcade panels are a given, as well as atleast the saturday night concert. beyond that, you gotta just go with the flow, cuz you might get disappointed if you stray from your plans. oh, and don't put all the events in your phone calendar, just trust me on that one!

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
  • b0wserb0wser PAX HHL Deputy Manager CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    Also, don't expect any big awesome prize for the normal tournaments, nor should you expect it to be an event of professional gaming. Tournaments, like everything else at PAX, are just for fun (there are prizes, but there's no huge $Texas prize for being the best at teh haloz).

The Omegathon is another story, but it's also random selection of preregistrants, so your chances of getting to participate in that is slim.

The prizes are mostly awarded in point cards, which you then bring to my wonderful Prize Redemption bunker and redeem for prizes. Some things have specific prizes, but most are cards.

b0wser on
  • SWATJesterSWATJester Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    You will, of course, come to my panel next year.

SWATJester on
    Moderator, PAX Prime 08, 09, 10, 10-East, panels on "Legal Issues in Gaming"
    Contributing Editor, http://www.gamepolitics.com
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • redhaloredhalo Also a Professional Alcoholic Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

I second this statement. The community events made PAX so much more to me. I had a particular blast following Atlus from bar to bar pretty much shutting them down while spells were cast on random passer bys.

redhalo on
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    redhalo wrote: »

I second this statement. The community events made PAX so much more to me. I had a particular blast following Atlus from bar to bar pretty much shutting them down while spells were cast on random passer bys.

Easily the highlight of my PAX '08 experience was the goodbye FEAST we organized on Sunday night at the taphouse.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • HighfireHighfire Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Raiden333 wrote: »

Easily the highlight of my PAX '08 experience was the goodbye FEAST we organized on Sunday night at the taphouse.

It was fucking awesome.

Highfire on
    edited December 2008
    Highfire wrote: »

It was fucking awesome.

Agreed...even though I can't remember a single person I met that night :(

JonnyNero on
  • parabolaparabola Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I enjoyed playing We Didn't Playtest This at the Sheraton on the last night.

parabola on
  • TransparentTransparent Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

It was fucking awesome.

Wow, even Sessler? ;)

Oh and Jon and Ollie, after this and Kell's the year before, a post PAX dinner with you guys is tradition as far as I'm concerned. Are either of you going to make it to Mike and Alex's new years party?

Transparent on
    PAXtrain '10, let's do this!
    edited December 2008

It was fucking awesome.

Wow, even Sessler? ;)

Oh and Jon and Ollie, after this and Kell's the year before, a post PAX dinner with you guys is tradition as far as I'm concerned. Are either of you going to make it to Mike and Alex's new years party?

He doesn't count as a "that night" meet up...I met him earlier in the day...when I Horsed him :p

JonnyNero on
  • kropotkinkropotkin Forum Badge Creator London UKRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    PAX was a real eye opener for me. First time this year for me and I flew all the way from London to get there. Didn't regret it for a second. If you can go, GO!

kropotkin on
    ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• HighfireHighfire Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Are either of you going to make it to Mike and Alex's new years party?

I'm going to be there. I haven't really done anything for New Years for the last six years. So it'll be nice to go out and party. I hear TimeCruiserMike and Augustus going to be there. This should be an awesome party.

Highfire on
  • VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    You're coming this year right Kropotkin?

Things were so crazy that we never got to have our drink! At least I was able to get the camera your way... but I still owe you a brew! So you BETTER be there this year! =)

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
This discussion has been closed.