As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Does the Xbox 360 upconvert DVDs to HD?

KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up inthe Undercity.Registered User regular
Pretty quick question - just wondering if I should be getting an upconverting DVD player with my new HDTV (only 720p) or if the 360's DVD playback upconverts the video. I haven't gotten the 360 yet, so if it depends on the model I should be getting the most recent version (probably a Pro).

KalTorak on

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    There is a mixed opinion on this, believe it or not. People swear up and down that DVDs look TERRIBLE on the 360, and those that think DVDs look fine (if not, better) on the 360. At least, that's what I can tell.

I play DVDs on my 360 all the time, and they look much better than my regular DVD player on the same exact TV. But I don't think it's upconverting it.

urahonky on
  • Options
    WetsunWetsun Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Somewhat related, my 360 plays widescreen DVDs as letterboxed 4:3 (pillar'd) instead of filling the screen. There is probably an option to change this, but I couldn't find it.

I gave up after a few minutes of tinkering and used my PC to play them instead.

Wetsun on
    XBL/Steam: Wetsun
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Wetsun wrote: »
    Somewhat related, my 360 plays widescreen DVDs as letterboxed 4:3 (pillar'd) instead of filling the screen. There is probably an option to change this, but I couldn't find it.

I gave up after a few minutes of tinkering and used my PC to play them instead.

You should be able to hit Select, and go to display mode, then change it to whatever.

urahonky on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited November 2008
    The 360 will upscale DVDs if you're using the HDMI out. It won't do it over component.

And I'm one of the contingent that thinks the 360 is a terrible DVD player. Video quality is muddy and noise is accentuated as compared to my 10 year old Sony DVD player. The PS3, by way of comparison, is pretty good.

HD-DVDs on the 360 always looked good, though.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    urahonky wrote: »
    There is a mixed opinion on this, believe it or not. People swear up and down that DVDs look TERRIBLE on the 360, and those that think DVDs look fine (if not, better) on the 360. At least, that's what I can tell.

I play DVDs on my 360 all the time, and they look much better than my regular DVD player on the same exact TV. But I don't think it's upconverting it.
    It was absolutely horrible when it was launched, but they've had a few updates that improved it since then and now its not that bad imho

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    There really isn't any reason it should be bad short of laziness. I assume the up-scaling is all done in software, so it isn't like anything is set in stone as far as quality and performance.

If you want a really good up converting DVD player though, I'm letting my Oppo go (see sig).

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Hmmm... well I'll definitely be using the HDMI out. I think for now the plan will be to just use the 360 and see how it goes. If it turns out to be unwatchable (I'm not that picky) then I'll pick up a budget upconverting DVD player. If not then I'll wait a year or so for the prices on Blu-rays to come down a bit.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    My experiences are from about six months ago, so it may have improved since then. It wasn't unwatchably bad even then - I mean, not like watching broadcast TV, or anything - and on really good DVDs it wasn't that bad. The test of a good DVD player, though, is with non-really-good DVDs, and on those it didn't fare well. The PS3 has been much better to me.

As to BD prices, one of Amazon's upcoming Stupidly Low Price Vote Thingies has a Sony BD player for $100 as an option. It's currently trailing by a wide margin to an HDTV offer, but who knows?

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Also, I'm hesitant to even watch a movie off Live on my 360, or Netflix. Why ask for an RROD by using it for something you could use another, cheaper and more reliable device for?

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    OremLK wrote: »
    Also, I'm hesitant to even watch a movie off Live on my 360, or Netflix. Why ask for an RROD by using it for something you could use another, cheaper and more reliable device for?

Do you wear a tinfoil hat when you leave the house?

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Unless yours is one of the first-gen 360s, you're probably fine. Even then, if you have ample ventilation, you're probably fine.

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    ElJeffe wrote: »

Unless yours is one of the first-gen 360s, you're probably fine. Even then, if you have ample ventilation, you're probably fine.

Plus f you do red ring it, you can get a fancy new xbox w/ a HDMI out! Unlike mine :(

Stupid 360 and lack of HDMI.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    variantvariant Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Wouldn't the loud ass drive kill any chance of using it as a dvd player?

(I've never ran a movie on mine)

variant on
  • Options
    tehgilstehgils Is ruro/rurokenshin DetroitRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    variant wrote: »

It's only loud when your playing a game and the drive is running at full speed, when you watch a movie it is much quieter.

tehgils on
    FFXIV- Focke Wulf
  • Options
    smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I watch movies on my 360 all the time, actually that's about all I use it for any more (that and a media center pc). The movies look good on my 32in LCD (1080i). The 360 puts out the DVDs to 480p and it looks good, sure not as good as a regular HD move or Cable but I really don't have a problem with it at all. Also with the NXE and the Netflix streaming it's really become a nice Media Center PC

smokmnky on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2008
    The 360 will upscale DVDs if you're using the HDMI out. It won't do it over component.

And I'm one of the contingent that thinks the 360 is a terrible DVD player. Video quality is muddy and noise is accentuated as compared to my 10 year old Sony DVD player. The PS3, by way of comparison, is pretty good.

HD-DVDs on the 360 always looked good, though.

I should point out, the 360 will also upscale DVD's through the VGA cable.

As for quality, the colors are more dulled through the 360, but I've noticed more artifacting with the PS3 upscaler.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2008
    tehgils wrote: »
    variant wrote: »

It's only loud when you have a shitty drive. Not all 360's have loud optical drives.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Do you wear a tinfoil hat when you leave the house?

I take it you've never actually had an RROD happen. I have. Also, quite recently, so has Tycho.

It is/was. I don't know about now, the one I'm using is one MS refurbished after my first RROD.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Actually I've had an RRoD and a DRE error. So I know your pain, but the RRoD problem is only a problem if you don't have the latest 360 model. Saying that by playing DVDs instead of games is going to increase your chances of a RRoD is asinine.

urahonky on
  • Options
    EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Saying that by playing DVDs instead of games is going to increase your chances of a RRoD is asinine.

He didn't say watching DVDs on a 360 instead of playing games on it would make it RROD, he asked why you'd use a 360 for DVDs instead of games when --regardless of whether your activity is gaming or watching movies or looking at your console funny-- the 360 is prone to failure.

360s seem to have a finite lifespan. My launch 360 hasn't failed yet but I'm sure not going to waste whatever precious life it has left by watching DVDs on it when I have a million devices that play DVDs and one device that plays 360 games.

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Ego wrote: »
    Saying that by playing DVDs instead of games is going to increase your chances of a RRoD is asinine.

He didn't say watching DVDs on a 360 instead of playing games on it would make it RROD, he asked why you'd use a 360 for DVDs instead of games when --regardless of whether your activity is gaming or watching movies or looking at your console funny-- the 360 is prone to failure.

360s seem to have a finite lifespan. My launch 360 hasn't failed yet but I'm sure not going to waste whatever precious life it has left by watching DVDs on it when I have a million devices that play DVDs and one device that plays 360 games.

Exactly. I prefer to use it only for what I need it for (playing games) so as to reduce the amount of time the system spends running. So if I could be leaving it off by using a $30 DVD player instead, I'm going to do that. Sure, it's under warranty and all, but being without your console for several weeks is kind of a pain.

OremLK on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Ego wrote: »

That makes me laugh, so much.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I really don't think 360s have a finite lifespan that you subtract from every time you power it on. I think that, at worst, some systems are fatally flawed and some aren't. The latter will play nigh-forever without issue. The former will likely eat themselves at some point. Those, however, are a small minority.

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    There's something to be said for not wearing out the disc drive, though.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Wear may or may not be a factor. Aren't these issues usually caused by overheating? In any case, it doesn't hurt me to just use a DVD player, so why take any chance on the matter?

Edit:
    The real reason for the 3 red lights of failure is a result of long term heat of the CPU and the GPU against the motherboard that caused it to “bow” or “warp”. This warping issue causes the lead-free solders that were used to mount the motherboard to have lots of tension on them. After it too having long exposure to elevated temperatures, the solders become brittle and develop hair-line cracks that are almost irreparable.

http://sogamer.wordpress.com/2007/09/01/360rrod/

Note "long term heat of the CPU and GPU". I assume having less heat over time would result in a longer time before you get an RROD.

OremLK on
  • Options
    EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I really don't think 360s have a finite lifespan that you subtract from every time you power it on. I think that, at worst, some systems are fatally flawed and some aren't. The latter will play nigh-forever without issue. The former will likely eat themselves at some point. Those, however, are a small minority.

*shrugs* I've seen way too many of my friends 360s fail to think otherwise. They all worked great --until one day they just didn't.

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Wear may or may not be a factor. Aren't these issues usually caused by overheating? In any case, it doesn't hurt me to just use a DVD player, so why take any chance on the matter?

Edit:
    The real reason for the 3 red lights of failure is a result of long term heat of the CPU and the GPU against the motherboard that caused it to “bow” or “warp”. This warping issue causes the lead-free solders that were used to mount the motherboard to have lots of tension on them. After it too having long exposure to elevated temperatures, the solders become brittle and develop hair-line cracks that are almost irreparable.

http://sogamer.wordpress.com/2007/09/01/360rrod/

Note "long term heat of the CPU and GPU". I assume having less heat over time would result in a longer time before you get an RROD.

I dunno, that seems to assume that every 360 will RROD eventually.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Every 360 subject to certain conditions. Greater external ventilation will help keep the internal temp down. And that's referring to the old design.

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    variantvariant Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I'd like to add: decent upconverting DVD players cost no more than $50 now a days.

variant on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Shit, I got one in my box of Honeycomb the other day. My fucking keyring will upconvert DVDs.

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    On the component cables the 360 can upscale to 480p, through the HDMI & VGA it can do up to 1080i. The problem is that the 360 is a really low grade DVD player. Originally it only got a 20 on the HQV test. MS then worked hard and doubled that to 40, out of the total 130.

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,2088533,00.asp

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,2845,2228134,00.asp

All this being said there is no way in hell I'd play a DVD on mine. My first 360 died of everything except the RRoD and it was the DREs that were the worst until it bricked.

Dark Shroud on