As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Wii and 'light gun' type games.

2»

• Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I notice that Ghost Squad has a bit of the "slippery reticle"* syndrome when I play with the reticle on, but when I calibrate and play with it off I have no problems at all. I think it's more just lag from the sequence of "Wiimote decides where it's pointing>game updates reticle location."

Ghost Squad while dual-wielding the zapper and perfect shot anyone?

I read that as "slippery testicle" for a second there...

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The "slippery reticle" issue is really just a feeling you get from the reticle not lining up 1:1 with where you're pointing, and so when you move your wiimote to a single place and the reticle is not there by virtue of not being 1:1, you have to compensate by moving your wiimote's aim to get it where you want. This feels like lag, but it's not actually lag, because there's no delay between the data being transmitted from the wii remote to the wii console. Link's CBT has a very slippery reticle, especially since it has some kind of smoothing option iirc. You can make it easier for yourself by adjusting sensitivity but you can't totally eliminate the feeling; although you can get accustomed to it to the point where you can be awesome at the game.

The games that support calibration will indeed allow you create a perfect 1:1 wiimote point->reticle on screen, and in these instances, there is neither lag nor "slippery reticle." Where you aim and shoot is where the reticle is and fires. As such, these games support an option for turning the onscreen reticle completely off, so that you can play these as a completely traditional lightgun game - and it works great.

The caveat with the HOTD and Ghost Squad 1:1 calibrations is that calibrating for one position in a space only works for that one position. Since the game 'locates" the reticle based on where the wii remote camera sees the sensor bar, if you move to another place in the room from where you calibrated, or if you change the angle at which you are aiming at the TV screen, then your calibration will be lost and you'll need to recalibrate it. This is really a non-issue most of the time, as people don't tend to walk around a room while playing a liight gun shooter. But it's something to keep in mind if, say, you calibrate at one point and then move to another place in the room to play the game.

slash000 on
  • Options
    RubycatRubycat Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The perfect shot needs a less stressing trigger -your finger gets a massive workout pulling that trigger-

Rubycat on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN: Rubycat3 / NintentdoID: Rubycat
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Rubycat wrote: »
    The perfect shot needs a less stressing trigger -your finger gets a massive workout pulling that trigger-

Haha, that's somewhat true. You don't have to pull it all the way back every time for it to register. So that can save your finger a lot of work right there.

slash000 on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2008
    Also, remember that the Wiimote can understand up to 4 points of light. So getting another sensor bar may increase accuracy.

FyreWulff on