As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Get Me Started

Baby EaterBaby Eater Registered User regular
edited January 2007 in Critical Failures
Hey my friends and I have really been wanting to play a table top game lately and well it seems I have the most iniative to actually be the gm. So i need to know a good table top that is easy to gm and is easy to play. We have some experience with Hack Masters and Tunnels and Trolls. Both fun, easy, and quick but were looking for a little bit more choice. ( and fun for the gm)

Baby Eater on

• MoridanMoridan Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    As a recent convert to GURPS 4th edition, I couldn't be more happy. You buy two reasonably priced books and you'll never need to buy another game book.

:^: :^:

Moridan on
    Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary
    opinion is wishful thinking at its worst.
    - Robert A. Heinlein
  • Baby EaterBaby Eater Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    im short on time can you link?

Baby Eater on
    edited January 2007
    Moridan on
    Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary
    - Robert A. Heinlein
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    GURPS was actually really confusing to me. If you've played HackMaster, it'd probably be easier for you to roll right over to Dungeons and Dragons. If you feel really comfortable with the system, you can find old stuff that's similar to HackMaster pretty cheap. But I'd recommend just getting the three core Third Edition books. They'll be cheaper than the 3.5 versions, and play just as well.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
    edited January 2007
    Reynolds wrote:
    GURPS was actually really confusing to me. If you've played HackMaster, it'd probably be easier for you to roll right over to Dungeons and Dragons. If you feel really comfortable with the system, you can find old stuff that's similar to HackMaster pretty cheap. But I'd recommend just getting the three core Third Edition books. They'll be cheaper than the 3.5 versions, and play just as well.

Um...no. I advise against starting your D&D hobby with out of date books that are no longer supported.

If you decide to go with D&D, get the 3.5 Players Handbook, Dungeon Masters Guide, and Monster Manual. Not only is 3.5 the current rule-set, it is also a significant improvement over 3.0.

Moridan on
    - Robert A. Heinlein
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I think 3.0 plays just fine. As I said, it's probably cheaper. I've never bought any 3.5 books, and I still have plenty of material to play with.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Baby EaterBaby Eater Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    So i got the Lite manual... now what do i need?

Baby Eater on
    edited January 2007
    Baby Eater wrote:
    So i got the Lite manual... now what do i need?

Read through that and make sure you want to commit $55 expanding on it.
    If so, get:

GURPS Characters
    GURPS Campaigns

Then get yourself three 6-sided dice, a pencil, print some character sheets, and then figure out what kind of game you want to play.

For Sci-Fi, check out Traveller.
    For Fantasy, check out my Crucible setting.

Moridan on
    - Robert A. Heinlein