As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Ikariam On] kitten-poem-wielding pirate-based alliance

• ScratchyScratchy Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Darian wrote: »
    When we were really active, we had stuff going on beta, delta, epsilon, and zeta. But I think everyone who was on epsilon dropped.

The game is a lot of fun for a while, but eventually the bugs tend to get to people. The combat system still leaves a lot to be desired. (That having been said, I am still active on Alpha as well as our main group on Beta.)

I know what you mean about the bugs. I am long past the softcaps on my Eps account and I do the combat thing to keep it interesting.

Between troops and fleets disappearing and teleporting it is enough to drive someone bonkers.

I just can't bring myself to quit after I have spent so many hours at work on this thing. Is this what addiction feels like?

Scratchy on
    steam_sig.png
  • redfenixredfenix Aka'd as rfix Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    yeah, i cashed in and am up to 60 boats

now i'm just trying for enough for a 6th colony but damn, it seems like sooo far away

redfenix on
  • SabanSaban Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    If i have 2 colonies on the same island can i put double the workers on say, a winery? or should i build my second wine colony on a different island?

Saban on
    371839-1.png
  • DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Same island is good.

Different islands allow for new pillaging opportunities, but same island is better for upgrading the mill/quarry and for defense (quick to move troops from one to another).

Darian on
    edited November 2008
    There is one thing that is detrimental to having multiple colonies on a single island though, and that is that it is a lot easier for another player to locate your cities.

It gets infinitely more difficult to bounce troops from colonies when all your towns are currently under attack.

Not like I'm dealing with that problem right now though....

ok I am and I'm kicking ass.

Scratchy on
    steam_sig.png
    edited November 2008
    Heh.

That's true; with my colonies spread out across 12h of space, there's no way a single opponent could actually bring a fight to me if I don't want it (and if I'm relatively active at the time).

Darian on
    edited November 2008
    Getting bored? Tired of wonky combat?

Big news I spose:

http://board.ikariam.com/thread.php?postid=385780#post385780

New buildings, New researches, Combat redone, soft caps all but eliminated.

And I am sure a whole new mess of bugs to make everyone wonder why we "upgraded" from v.0.2.8.

I'm excited and wondering what buildings to get rid of to try all the fun new stuff.

*Edit: I spose this is old news as we knew it was a long time coming, It's just good to see it all on the boards.

Scratchy on
    steam_sig.png
    edited November 2008
    Buildings to get rid of?

Academies in one or more cities (particularly when you've completed all the good research), workshops in all but one city (and even in that one, once fully upgraded), embassies in all but one city (for non-leaders, at least until military treaties are working again), trading posts (particularly if you have multiple cities on an island)

Darian on
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Wow, long time coming.

I guess they won't give us new room for buildings. That would make that one particular research worthwhile.

I can see every town using its increased production building in that extra slot. You only need a single workshop, so that's another spot in every other town.

Workshop town can probably do without an embassy, so there's two slots in every town. Enough for the architect's office or wine press(if that reduces daily wine consumption).

captaink on
    edited November 2008
    Buildings to get rid of?

Academies in one or more cities (particularly when you've completed all the good research), workshops in all but one city (and even in that one, once fully upgraded), embassies in all but one city (for non-leaders, at least until military treaties are working again), trading posts (particularly if you have multiple cities on an island)

I actually really like my level 15 trading posts. I can see the best deal for miles around, and selling sulfur is a good business.

captaink on
    edited November 2008
    But with multiple cities on the same island (or adjacent islands), you only need one trading post to see all the good deals. I am making good use of my leel 15 trading posts, as well.

Darian on
  • skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Wow, might actually get me out of vacation mode. :)

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
    edited November 2008
    It's not implemented yet, just so you know. We'll let you know when it happens. :)

Darian on
    edited November 2008
    And in case anyone wants some kitties for sigs in game:

http://www.xmission.com/~emailbox/ascii_cats.htm

Darian on
  • AcousticAcoustic Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    How does everyone get up into the INSANELY high scores? I'm sitting around 227,000 now. I've slowed down considerably with upgrading buildings, most of my buildings are sitting around level(s) 20 - 25 and I've maxed out research (all level 1 research).

Should I keep going with research? I've actually halted all research to gain a surplus in gold, which I plan on spending on military.

However, with 0.3.0 coming, I'm pretty excited about the game changing considerably from a resource-grind to something more interesting. Anyway, should I stop whoring resources and just spend the dong on major upgrades? Should I research level 2+ of the maxed research options?

Acoustic on
    Ikariam[BETA] - SIG240
    edited January 2009
    High scores are currently a function of two things: the number of ships you have, and your total palace levels. Palaces and late ships (past 70 or so) are much more expensive/much more valuable for points than anything else in the game.

I've currently stopped building in all but one city, with one level 6 palace (for the floating colony), the rest at level 5, all taverns and museums softcapped (16/8, though I think my museums are at 9), all walls over cap (working to get each up to 26), all barracks/shipyards capped, etc.

I'm selling off excess wood to build up some gold, redistributing sulfur across all my colonies so that each has at least 50k for the next palace upgrade after update, and generally hunkering down waiting for the update. The big problem with the update will be warehouses actually getting smaller; for my level 16 warehouses, any resources in excess of (I think) 136,000 of a given type will be lost, so make sure you aren't hoarding more than that. Redistribute!

As far as I know, level 2 max researches are still not implemented and therefore not worth researching; I'm stopping my research once I complete all the initial futures.

Darian on
    edited January 2009
    High scores are currently a function of two things: the number of ships you have, and your total palace levels. Palaces and late ships (past 70 or so) are much more expensive/much more valuable for points than anything else in the game.

I've currently stopped building in all but one city, with one level 6 palace (for the floating colony), the rest at level 5, all taverns and museums softcapped (16/8, though I think my museums are at 9), all walls over cap (working to get each up to 26), all barracks/shipyards capped, etc.

I'm selling off excess wood to build up some gold, redistributing sulfur across all my colonies so that each has at least 50k for the next palace upgrade after update, and generally hunkering down waiting for the update. The big problem with the update will be warehouses actually getting smaller; for my level 16 warehouses, any resources in excess of (I think) 136,000 of a given type will be lost, so make sure you aren't hoarding more than that. Redistribute!

As far as I know, level 2 max researches are still not implemented and therefore not worth researching; I'm stopping my research once I complete all the initial futures.

I'm exactly at 70 ships, I'll snatch a few more here soon I think.

Yeah, that's a bummer about the warehouse, I should have paid more attention and not wasted my resources on level 18 warehouses across the board. I'll be down to 144,000 cap for each resource in all but one city. >.< Ah well, no big deal really.

Thanks again for the info. :) I'm pretty damn excited about this update, its going to really make shit interesting.

Acoustic on
    Ikariam[BETA] - SIG240
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Wow you guys are still playing?! How go our friends in the official forums?

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Acoustic wrote: »

I'm exactly at 70 ships, I'll snatch a few more here soon I think.

Yeah, that's a bummer about the warehouse, I should have paid more attention and not wasted my resources on level 18 warehouses across the board. I'll be down to 144,000 cap for each resource in all but one city. >.< Ah well, no big deal really.

Thanks again for the info. :) I'm pretty damn excited about this update, its going to really make shit interesting.

Is there even a timeline for the 0.3.0 update? I thought about holding off on things like level 6 palace upgrades, but then I figured it might be 2012 before they roll it out, and lo and behold I finished building them all and still no update.

Orogogus on
    edited January 2009
    Kalkino wrote: »

I haven't been messing with the forums in quite a while.

Darian on
    edited January 2009
    Kalkino wrote: »

I haven't been messing with the forums in quite a while.

:(

Kalkino on
  • devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Wow.

I can't even remember when I kicked all of this off. :P

devoir on
    edited January 2009
    devoir wrote: »
    Wow.

I can't even remember when I kicked all of this off. :P

Would have been March or April right?

Kalkino on
  • devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=54274

3rd of April, my time. :P Craziness.

It's almost tempting to log into my account and see how badly things are screwed up. I'm at my mother's house for a week, I'm sick, nothing else to do.

devoir on
    edited January 2009
    devoir wrote: »
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=54274

3rd of April, my time. :P Craziness.

It's almost tempting to log into my account and see how badly things are screwed up. I'm at my mother's house for a week, I'm sick, nothing else to do.

So it begins!

I was just reading their forums. Seems they still have the Kitten Korner. OMG internet fame

Kalkino on
    edited January 2009
    Orogogus wrote: »
    High scores are
    Is there even a timeline for the 0.3.0 update? I thought about holding off on things like level 6 palace upgrades, but then I figured it might be 2012 before they roll it out, and lo and behold I finished building them all and still no update.

One of the Admins said its being implemented to .ORG on January 19th and sometime soon after its hitting .COM.

I have no idea what that means really, but its VERY soon it seems.

With a lot of the changes, it wouldn't be very difficult for any of you to start up again with the lower build/travel times etc.

Acoustic on
    Ikariam[BETA] - SIG240
  • ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Aww man, looking at this thread is making me nostalgic.

Thetheroo on
    edited January 2009
    I caught some guy spying on me. He had an absolutely absurd number of ships and troops in his colony.

143 Swordsman
    161 Phalanx
    59 Steam Giant
    12 Bombardier
    3 Cook
    4 Doctor

Glad he didn't decide to fuck with me, I just now built up to ~60 steam giants total.

captaink on
    edited January 2009
    captaink wrote: »
    I caught some guy spying on me. He had an absolutely absurd number of ships and troops in his colony.

143 Swordsman
    161 Phalanx
    59 Steam Giant
    12 Bombardier
    3 Cook
    4 Doctor

Glad he didn't decide to fuck with me, I just now built up to ~60 steam giants total.

That's a scary military. o_O

On a seperate note - I think the greatest thing I'm anticipating about 0.3.0 is finally upgrading my port without worrying about being a pillaging target. >.< Living with level 5 - 6 ports sucks the wang.

Acoustic on
    Ikariam[BETA] - SIG240
    edited January 2009
    I just dumped off a bunch of wood and turned off my wood production in preparation for the 0.3.0 update. I'm at 136,000 max storage with level 17 warehouses.

Shuffling around some luxury resources still.

captaink on
    edited January 2009
    On Jan 15th it was noted we are more than 7 days away. That's kind of vague still.

In addition to watching your resources, I'd look into how to salvage your satisfaction when 0.3.0 goes live. It looks like taverns are getting nerf'd as far as wine bonus is concerned. I'd recommend spending some resources down by upping a museum if reasonably possible and attempting to get satisfaction cushion in place.

If that's not possible, I think I'll downgrade a townhall so that my satisfaction doesn't dive into the shitter when the update comes out.

Also, townWALLS are getting a price increase, so If you're looking for places to spend resources down below the caps, you'll save several thousand per level if you want to shoot up a few over your town hall level - couldn't hurt I suppose.

Another note, LOTS of units are getting upkeep deductions, which is nice. So if you're sitting on a massive military and your satisfaction goes into the shit hole you might not suffer too much in the way of your gold reserves plummeting.

Seems they did another silly thing like scaling down military units. Sure its great they cost less in many respects, but I don't see a purpose in scaling down the stats of ALL of the units. I'm not military savvy enough to see if the scaling offers any balance to them, though.

Anyway, any other suggestions for 0.3.0 preperations I've overlooked?

Acoustic on
    Ikariam[BETA] - SIG240
    edited January 2009
    From the official forums:
    Ahoi!

The currently known date for the update to 0.3.0 is next week Wednesday (European time).

That is the 28. January 2009

In case the date changes we will let you know.

Also read my above post to prepare for the update.

Happy playing,

Your IkariamCom Team

Darian on
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    captaink wrote: »

143 Swordsman
    161 Phalanx
    59 Steam Giant
    12 Bombardier
    3 Cook
    4 Doctor

That's a scary military. o_O

Really? I had (close to) more SG's than he has troops at my best point. And my Navy was more than 1/2 my military.

Burtletoy on
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    The archers have taken their first in a long string of beatings.

Attacker:
    Swordsman...935 (lost: 154)
    Phalanx...165 (lost: 15)
    Gunsman...45 (lost: 9)
    Steam Giant...73 (lost: 30)
    Cook...13 (lost: 1)
    Doctor...22 (lost: 5)
    Defender:
    Phalanx...24 (lost: 15)
    Archer...413 (lost: 287)

The penetration has begun. Also, I've demolished around 90 flamethrowers in this little incident.

I had to find it, just to make sure.

Burtletoy on
    edited January 2009
    Yeah but you're crazy.

I can't keep military that I can't do the upkeep on, because I don't want to spend that much time arranging pillages.

captaink on
  • Con_norCon_nor Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Oooh, it almost sounds like it will start to get interesting again. I have not written a kitty poem in too long. Maybe I should find an account... and watch my grades plummet.

Con_nor on
    edited January 2009
    Ugh, I got attacked by a guy with a mobile base that bypassed my fleets.

He's got a shitload of troops, unfortunately.

captaink on
  • LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I tried logging in to my account a few months back to find out that it had been disabled for "abandoning". The hell?

Lorahalo on
    I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • BarneyLBarneyL Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    0.3.0 is out on the European servers, it's good fun being able to roll away with 100 ships full of goods in a single attack and having something to build again.
    The down side is likely to come pretty soon though, I expect to see a large number of players quit the game once their warehouse is cleared out.

BarneyL on
    steam_sig.png
    edited January 2009
    Yeah, it will be a very different game post update, I think.

Darian on