As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Final Fantasy - 'Coz we can't stick to Dissidia.

DoctorGateuxDoctorGateux Registered User regular
edited February 2009 in Games and Technology
JP Release Date: 18th Dec
Random Trivia: the 18th is the same date that the first Final Fantasy game was released.

You might as well ignore all of this and go here.
Essentially a collection of everything known about the game so far, courtesy of Proffesor Snuggleworth.
Also, his interesting posts on FFXIII, and initial Dissidia impressions.

Explanatory notes via APZonerunner:
What is Dissidia?
Dissidia is a game being released to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the Final Fantasy series. The game is a real-time action combat game, with a system that makes use of the stats and figures so closely associated with Final Fantasy alongside real-time combat, similar to the recently released Crisis Core and Kingdom Hearts games.

The game is being released on the 21st anniversary of Final Fantasy I's release, December 18th in Japan.

The game features the most famous characters from every entry in the series fighting it out against and alongside oneanother for a common cause.

So it's like Smash Bros. No plot?
Yes and no. Dissidia has a multiplayer mode, and quite a large one at that. But primarily it is a single player game. Square-Enix staff have composed a story that in terms of script size is even larger than Crisis Core's, straddling multiple Final Fantasy worlds, locations and storylines.

The gist of the plot is that Chaos has decided he's tired of seeing the forces of evil beat down over and over again, and has pulled the greatest villains from various timelines together to fight together to steal the crystals and end the world.

Cosmos doesn't like this idea, though, and has likewise gathered the forces of good to save the world. The first ten heroes and the first ten antagonists from Final Fantasy I-X are all fighting. For multiplayer there will be several special unlockable characters.

Characters

Dissidia features a range of characters from across the Final Fantasy series. As yet, the plot details are sketchy, but it seems unlikely that any characters will appear from any given title in the series other than those made playable. Don't expend to see Celes backing up Terra even as an NPC, for instance, as nothing released about the game so far indicates anything like this will happen.

The game has an interesting art design in that all the characters follow closely to the original art by Mr. Amano. Even the games with art design by others (FF7, 8 and 10 by Tetsuya Nomura, 9 co-designed by Toshiyuki Itahana) have been edited to more closely match Amano's original art. Sephiroth's shoulder armour, for example, has blue decor and trinkets to match Amano's take on the character, and Squall has the small cape attached to his coat that the Amano art shows him wearing.

It's a great chance to see all the art and characters from across the series redesigned and redrawn by both Nomura and Amano - Nomura has handled the individual character art, while Amano has contributed overall story art. Before you ask, Terra's hair is blonde, not green.

- thanks!

TGS '08 Trailer

character roster via pretty pictures:
dissidiacharacterimagespa4.jpg

(From top left) Hero / Villain

FFI: Warrior of Light / Garland FFII: Firion / The Emperor
FFIII: Onion Knight / Cloud of Darkness
FFIV: Cecil / Golbez
FFV: Bartz / Exdeath
FFVI: Terra / Kefka
FFVII: Cloud / Sephiroth FFVIII: Squall / Ultimecia
FFIX: Zidane / Kuja
FFX: Tidus / Jecht
And freshly announced:
Crazed Tarutaru Black Mage Shantotto!
No idea what her part in the entirety of the game will be yet, but she's entertaining either way.
That laugh is badass.
dissidianov23screen1xe9.jpg
dissidianov23screen5by0.jpg
She's laughing as she's burning him alive.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
DoctorGateux on

• Options
    Conan-sanConan-san Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    It has Kefka, it's a must buy...

If I had a PSP.

Conan-san on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    The voice actor does the cackle surprisingly well.

That said, they made his face awfully similar to Michael Jacksons.

DoctorGateux on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    APZonerunnerAPZonerunner Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The FF11 character is an extra character, she plays no role in the story. She's unlocked somehow. There'll probably be more extra characters in this vein, too - perhaps from some more obscure stuff like Mystic Quest and FF Adventure, or more characters from the games already included who'd be well suited.

We haven't got a bare knuckle fighter in the cast, for example, so Zell or Tifa could well happen. Or... and this is a long shot, a character from another Square series with deep FF connections like Crono or Sora. There is definitely more than one secret character, though.

APZonerunner on
    APZonerunner | RPG Site | UFFSite | The Gaming Vault
    XBL/PSN/Steam: APZonerunner
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Hm, I'd like to think she'd at least have some role in the story. There's a screen shot floating around of her standing in front of Cosmos soo... >_>;

If they're doing more characters in this way, it's unlikely it would be someone like Zell or Tifa. A character from an off-shoot series is kinda possible though.

DoctorGateux on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    She's not part of the main story. She doesn't appear in the FMVs and whatnot. It's likely she'll have her own mini campaign of some sort though, with small in-engine cutscenes before fights.

The only mainstream games that have really recognisable characters that aren't represented are FF11 and FF12 and FF13. We've got an FF11 character now, and I doubt we'll get an FF11 bad guy, as there isn't really anyone recognisable enough. For FF11 players, Shantotto was the character many were shouting for, so they got that dead right.

The thing is they've been deliberately trying to balance out characters movesets in the game already - Cecil for example uses a staff, not his famed holy sword obtained from Mount Ordeals. It's not 'canon' to the series, but they deemed that they had too many sword users and Cecil would suffer least from a weapon change. Hand to hand users - be they bare knuckle fighters or monks - are a staple of the FF series, but we've never had a main character or antagonist who uses that style.

We've got Mages, Warriors, Knights and various other classes, but no monk equivalent. Because of that, it's not a massive stretch to think that we might get a secret character who uses such a style. Yang, Tifa, Zell, whoever. Tifa would be the most obvious and popular choice. Another fairly good bet for a secret character will be a ranged weapon character - all the included ranged characters so far are magicians like Kuja. A possible choice here could be FFX-2 Yuna, I suppose, as in her default setup she's acrobatic and uses guns.

Nomura has said secret characters won't necessarily have an 'opposite number' on the other side like the main characters.

APZonerunner on
  • Options
    ZanteZante Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Information would be kind of nice. I'm assuming this is what, a PSP title? And it's some kind of fighting game based on FF characters?

Zante on
  • Options
    JurgJurg In a TeacupRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Some of the character choices here are baffling.

Are you serious? Cecil uses a staff?

Here is a list of confirmed characters that didn't have to use a sword and make more sense than Cecil:
    -FF1 Light Warrior (That isn't even a job, come on)
    -Firion(I think he started with a sword, but there are so many weapon options for him)
    -FF3 Onion Kid (Again, their weapon choice is much larger and they can change jobs)
    -Bartz(same as FF3)

If you use a staff with Cecil, you are either in the Magnetic Cave or an idiot.

Also, Gilgamesh would have been way cooler than Exdeath.

Fanboy rage!

Jurg on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    final_fantasy_dissidia_conceptart_CrxUj.png

APZonerunner on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Meh, it might be ok...but probably will suck.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Rubix42Rubix42 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Yeah, I have no idea what to think of this, is it really just a fighting game with FF characters? I thought it had a main or something, I am totally confused by this.

Rubix42 on
    signature goes here
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Pretty much...it's like Castlevania Judgement....a fighting game using the characters from various games for fans. I'm not sure how it'll be.

Castlevania Judgement had some issues, but was mindless fun....this may follow the same path. If it is anything like Square's last fighting game...it'll suck.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

We haven't got a bare knuckle fighter in the cast, for example, so Zell or Tifa could well happen. Or... and this is a long shot, a character from another Square series with deep FF connections like Crono or Sora. There is definitely more than one secret character, though.

It looks like they're going for a main character kind of thing, but they really should have dumped Terra and gone with Sabin. Anyone who's going to recognize Terra would recognize Sabin, or any other given character from that game, I'd imagine.

Grislo on
    This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Terra + Kefka = day one purchase.

And they've kept each game's main character + villain from the looks of it, so Terra was a given.

Granted, they could've used Edea instead of Ultimecia for VIII.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    VaregaVarega Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    No Sabin. What the fuck. Varega is a sad panda.

Varega on
    League of Legends:Varega
  • Options
    FunkyWaltDoggFunkyWaltDogg Columbia, SCRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    And they've kept each game's main character + villain from the looks of it, so Terra was a given.

The hell you say. FFVI didn't really have just one main character.

But if it did, it would be Celes.

FunkyWaltDogg on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The thing is they've been deliberately trying to balance out characters movesets in the game already - Cecil for example uses a staff, not his famed holy sword obtained from Mount Ordeals. It's not 'canon' to the series, but they deemed that they had too many sword users and Cecil would suffer least from a weapon change.

Actually I think the main reason is that in the Amano art he uses a staff. The character design in the games is taking a lot from the original concept art for each character.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I'm getting this just for Shantoto, hopefully it doesn't suck.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008

FFVI begins and ends with Terra. Celes just takes the stage for a little while.

The game does have an ensemble cast, but the story revolves around Terra as far as I'm concerned.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    bikkibikkibobikkibikkibo Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

zahh?!

bikkibikkibo on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Conan-sanConan-san Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Yeah, that's true, I meen Terra's the only party member to show up in the ending regardless of if you re-recruit her in the second half.

Conan-san on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Grislo wrote: »

It looks like they're going for a main character kind of thing, but they really should have dumped Terra and gone with Sabin. Anyone who's going to recognize Terra would recognize Sabin, or any other given character from that game, I'd imagine.

Screw Sabin. It's all about Edgar.

And when fighting women, he wouldn't need his tools. He would just charm them into giving up. And then sleeping with him.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    JerikTelorianJerikTelorian Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    This needs more Kain.

And more DS release :(

JerikTelorian on
    SteamID -- JerikTelorian
    XBL: LiquidSnake2061
    Shade wrote: »
    Anyone notice how some things (mattresses and the copy machines in Highrise) are totally impenetrable? A steel wall, yeah that makes sense, but bullets should obliterate copy machines.

I don't know about you, but I always buy a bullet proof printer. Its a lot more expensive, but I think the advantages are apparent.
  • Options
    BlitzAce1981BlitzAce1981 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Needs more Single White Rose Of Wutai.

...Failing that, Cissnei would be just as welcome.

...Oh great, now it just looks like I have a thing for female shuriken users...

BlitzAce1981 on
    PSN ID - BlitzAce1981 FFXIV - Raiden Solitaire (Sargatanas)
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Wait, what is this, a fighting game?

KiTA on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Pretty much. It's like Power Stone meets Kingdom Hearts, from the looks of it.

Nomura's involved, so I wouldn't put it past him to throw the Crisis Core fans a favor or two.
    Come on, Zack

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    KupotheAvengerKupotheAvenger Destroyer of Cake and other deserts.Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Oh i hope they add in a tactics character. Having Orlandu, Agrias, any of the Zodiac Knights in this would tear this shit up.

KupotheAvenger on
    fc: 1821-9801-1163
    Battlenet: Judgement#1243
    psn: KupoZero

• Options
    MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Nomura's involved, so I wouldn't put it past him to throw the Crisis Core fans a favor or two.
    Come on, Zack

If Zack is in it, he'll probably be a different costume for Cloud. He doesn't need a whole different character, and every character gets a few costumes (thankfully, one of Terra's is her green hair).
    I really hope Shantotto or whatever isn't the only hidden character. If they wasted the only slot on a stupid Tarutaru when they could have had Gilgamesh or Balthier or basically anyone but from Final Fantasy XI...
    I hope they add someone from XII, and someone from Tactics (T.G. Cid!)
    Actually I hope they give us someone that isn't a goddamn bishie pretty boy. I know, I know, it's Japan, and it's Final Fantasy characters, but goddamn. If they give us a bare-knuckle fighter, I want it to be Amarant from 9. Because he's not pretty.

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    OneWingedOtakuOneWingedOtaku Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Man I can't wait for this game, looks really good fun. I thought Crisis Core for PSP was incredible, I know this is a different kind of game but still, looking good so far.

OneWingedOtaku on
    Gamertag:
    OneWingedOtaku.png
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ArcibiArcibi Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I really wish this were coming out on anything but PSP

Mostly because I don't have a PSP and I don't know anyone who does

Shantotto being in the game is pretty rad, though I wish she could have been part of the main story. She doesn't really have a rival or anything, so I guess that's why she isn't. I would have picked Zeid and the Shadow Lord to represent FFXI myself, though

Arcibi on
    GameTrailers | Goozex | Check out: Arcibi's Dev Blog and Robot House Games
    tmntsigshrunkre4.jpg
    Wii: 5024 6786 2934 2806 | Steam/XBL: Arcibi | FFXI: Arcibi / Bahamut
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Nah, I couldn't think of anyone better than Shantoto to represent FFXI. Zeid and the Shadow Lord are ok but they're kind of generic. If they add a bad guy from FFXI it should be Nag'molada from the COP expansion.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Okay, so could someone write out the names and game of origin for all the characters for those of us who don't have the Final Fantasy mythos memorized?

And then stick it in the OP. Those pics are cool, but man, I have no clue who most of them are supposed to be.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    zanmattozanmatto Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    They should have Marche as a secret character. Dude actually fits, too!

"EVERYONE LOVES THIS HAPPY FANTASY LAND BUT ME, I'M GONNA FUCK IT ALL UP"

zanmatto on
  • Options
    KupotheAvengerKupotheAvenger Destroyer of Cake and other deserts.Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I'd also love to see a Sora Roxas match up.

KupotheAvenger on
    fc: 1821-9801-1163
    Battlenet: Judgement#1243
    psn: KupoZero

• Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited November 2008
    Dear Lord, how many different iterations of Sephiroth walking out of flames have there been now

bongi on
  • Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Okay, so could someone write out the names and game of origin for all the characters for those of us who don't have the Final Fantasy mythos memorized?

And then stick it in the OP. Those pics are cool, but man, I have no clue who most of them are supposed to be.

It's basically just the mainish character from each of the first ten FFs and then the main villain sort of. Not exactly 100% true to that but....

From IV on it's pretty easy to name everybody if you've played the games, but some from the first three games are kinda...trailing off with my sentences here.

From the top left, going to the right then down:

FF1: Warrior of Light - Garland FF2: Firion - Emperor

FF3: Onion Knight - Cloud of Darkness FF4: Cecil - Golbez

FF5: Butz - Exdeath FF6: Terra - Kefka

FF7: Cloud - Sephiroth FF8: Squall - Ultimecia

FF9: Zidane - Kuja FF10: Tidus - Jecht

And then that FFXI character.

Schide on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Schide wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »

It's basically just the mainish character from each of the first ten FFs and then the main villain sort of. Not exactly 100% true to that but....

From IV on it's pretty easy to name everybody if you've played the games, but some from the first three games are kinda...trailing off with my sentences here.

From the top left, going to the right then down:

FF1: Warrior of Light - Garland FF2: Firion - Emperor

FF3: Onion Knight - Cloud of Darkness FF4: Cecil - Golbez

FF5: Butz - Exdeath FF6: Terra - Kefka

FF7: Cloud - Sephiroth FF8: Squall - Ultimecia

FF9: Zidane - Kuja FF10: Tidus - Jecht

And then that FFXI character.

Awesome, thanks. Sometimes it's hard to match up 8-bit art with the modern reinterpretation of the concept art.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    So does Terra use a sword too? They could've made a staff work with her and still kept Cecil as a swordwielder, I think.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    MacenMacen Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Grislo wrote: »

Gau was my fav. Mostly because he was a innocent little boy who could beat the living shit out of you. It was a pain in the ass to learn what each of his Rages did though (I refused to look it up).

*EDIT* Gau is what i said... errmm.. not Gara.... (its been too long since I played FFVI) :(

Macen on
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Gau?

Anywho, I've been following the game for a while and it looks neat. I'll wait until the fan reaction until I commit to picking it up though. I'm a huge FF fan so I don't mind if its not perfect and the reviews give it kinda mediocre scores, but if the fans like me pan it then I'm out.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Come on, Zack

If Zack appears, it'll probably be as an alternate costume for Cloud.

APZonerunner on