As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] Bjorns mottar haelgond sygar [chat]

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The backdoor to UD strat requires the Key to the City before you can take that shortcut, and there is a BRD key that allows you to skip past large chunks of the early section as well, it works the same.

And have you ever done an entire strath clear with a level appropriate group that dosen't totally outgear the instance? It takes awhile.

Not as long as a complete BRD clear would take no, but again it's only 2 wings vs 3 or 4, but it still takes forever.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I didn't get to see a log ride in the Grizzly Hills yet either. Is that Horde-side only, perhaps?

Alliance has a fun little thing in Howling Fjord where, once you get the key, you can ride a flaming harpoon down into Valgarde.

SteevL on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    mastman wrote: »
    I like the sneaking around of DM the best. If you're good you can sneak by most pulls

You really can ninja your way through almost all of that instance, and the design really seems like the devs wanted you to do that. Some of the packs in there were pretty brutal for people in pre-raid gear.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »
    The backdoor to UD strat requires the Key to the City before you can take that shortcut, and there is a BRD key that allows you to skip past large chunks of the early section as well, it works the same.

And have you ever done an entire strath clear with a level appropriate group that dosen't totally outgear the instance? It takes awhile.

Not as long as a complete BRD clear would take no, but again it's only 2 wings vs 3 or 4, but it still takes forever.

The first time I went through full Strat starting at liveside was sometime after TBC came out. 1 or 2 of us were over 60 the others were under 60. When the guy who has the key didn't run away when we got to him I was kind of surprised.

Seg on
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    When the game first came out, undead strat was a huge pain in the ass. You used to have to kill all the bosses within a certain amount of time (to deactivate them and raise the gate to the courtyard that the slaughterhouse was in). This was incredibly hard in the day, because people gear was still mostly blues and greens, people didn't know as much about the game as they did now, and there were like twice as much trash as there was near the end of vanilla.

Loved it.

Dissociater on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Seg wrote: »

The first time I went through full Strat starting at liveside was sometime after TBC came out. 1 or 2 of us were over 60 the others were under 60. When the guy who has the key didn't run away when we got to him I was kind of surprised.

well you need the key to enter the Gauntlet, so if he ran away while you were coming in from the regular entrance that'd be kind of fucked.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    TheUnsane1TheUnsane1 PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So last night on my server (Shattered Hand: Horde) Dream Shards were at 10-14g per. Have they dropped like this on most servers or are the people just crazy on my server? Also is frostweave cloth like 1.20g per cloth on other servers? It's looking like besides gathering profession items and cloth the stuff is dropping like a rock in cost. Dream shards at the price of LPS on the server, Eternals cheaper or close to the cost of primals. I'm not sure if this is good or bad honestly.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The highest I've seen Dream Shards going for on Kargath (Horde) is 25g, and that was about a week ago. The eternals aren't going for more than 30g here, either (mostly). I'd guess just the massive influx of these materials are what's causing the lower prices. I suppose that's a good thing, since for TBC it was the exact opposite; Prismatic Shards were going for 50g on average for a long time after launch.

Halfmex on
  • Options
    PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Also, eternals are ridiculously easy to get.

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Yeah, that's the other thing. The Crystallized (element)s are dropping quite a bit easier than the motes ever did.

Halfmex on
  • Options
    khainkhain Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Are you farming them in Wintergraps? I've gotten a significant amount from mining but I haven't attempted to actually farm them outside of that so far.

khain on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Halfmex wrote: »
    Yeah, that's the other thing. The Crystallized (element)s are dropping quite a bit easier than the motes ever did.

Water and shadow now pop up from mining. The earth ones I'd expect to be a little more expensive but the rest should be cheaper. Between mining and engineering the only crystals I don't have in bulk is life.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I've never even farmed them, I just got a bunch doing quests and collecting herbs. Every eternal (save for fire, haven't come across those yet) goes for at most 20g at the moment. I guess it's cool for those folks that need them for crafting and such.

Halfmex on
  • Options
    kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    When the game first came out, undead strat was a huge pain in the ass. You used to have to kill all the bosses within a certain amount of time (to deactivate them and raise the gate to the courtyard that the slaughterhouse was in). This was incredibly hard in the day, because people gear was still mostly blues and greens, people didn't know as much about the game as they did now, and there were like twice as much trash as there was near the end of vanilla.

Loved it.

also most of the shades of naxxramas weren't targetable.

so you'd get "the living are here!" yells....wait for a bit, and then 2 gargoyles would spawn and aggro everything around you and fuck you to hell.

kaleedity on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I have so many of the crystalized things from mining and mote extracting that I've filled up an engineering bag with both their 10x form and their normal form.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    TheUnsane1TheUnsane1 PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    eternals are generally less then 20g on my server. I bought 2 stacks of eternal shadows that some one had up at 8g each so I can use them for a good while on my cloth cooldown. Also last night there were lps going for more then the dream shards which I assume is because of things like mongoose.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    kaleedity wrote: »

Loved it.

so you'd get "the living are here!" yells....wait for a bit, and then 2 gargoyles would spawn and aggro everything around you and fuck you to hell.

Wow. Glad I missed out on that! I think my first experience in Stratholme was a very messy 14-man PUG run of the place where we wiped on Rivendare. I didn't actually like that place until I did it with a 5-man group.

SteevL on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    SteevL wrote: »

Loved it.

Wow. Glad I missed out on that! I think my first experience in Stratholme was a very messy 14-man PUG run of the place where we wiped on Rivendare. I didn't actually like that place until I did it with a 5-man group.

I know this is going to be a shock to some, but most of the time, raiding any of the five mans didn't reduce the difficulty level at all but actually made it worse. You tended to get a lot more people heading in random directions doing random pulls in those raids. Add in the fear effect and chain pulls became more common. And this was all in the dark ages of add-ons. So keeping track of 15 people as a healer was pretty non-trivial.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Thomamelas wrote: »

Loved it.

I know this is going to be a shock to some, but most of the time, raiding any of the five mans didn't reduce the difficulty level at all but actually made it worse. You tended to get a lot more people heading in random directions doing random pulls in those raids. Add in the fear effect and chain pulls became more common. And this was all in the dark ages of add-ons. So keeping track of 15 people as a healer was pretty non-trivial.

But that's what made it special!

I almost forgot that almost all of those early days instances were raidable. We were constantly doing huge raids for LBRS, Scholo, and strat. It's funny that they were originally intended to be 5 mans, but often was the question asked 'we've only got 9, is that enough or should we wait for one more?'

Dissociater on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Loved it.

But that's what made it special!

I almost forgot that almost all of those early days instances were raidable. We were constantly doing huge raids for LBRS, Scholo, and strat. It's funny that they were originally intended to be 5 mans, but often was the question asked 'we've only got 9, is that enough or should we wait for one more?'

I remember the official forums exploding with:

"Strat with five people? Unpossible!"
    "Way to reward the hardcores!"
    "OMG! Why do you hate us?"
    "Nerf Strat!"

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I still laugh at their first "appeal" to casuals being the Tier 0.5 (Dungeon 2) set.

45 minute baron runs were pretty impossible for the average PUG (at the time)

The only people who could complete that easily were people in Tier 1 gear or better, but it never got changed.

I really should go back and do those quests now on my rogue.

Halfmex on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I still laugh at their first "appeal" to casuals being the Tier 0.5 (Dungeon 2) set.

The only people who could complete that easily were people in Tier 1 gear or better, but it never got changed.

Once I hit 80, one of the first things I plan to do is blast through all the old azeroth 5mans. Level 78 now, 2 to go!

I haven't been to scholo or strat in probably over 2 years, I'm actually looking forward to going back there (and not needing help to do it).

Dissociater on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Wrong

I did 45 minute baron runs in dungeon blues, it was hard and took some practice, but you absolutley did not need raid gear to do it.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2008

It wasn't meant to be easy. But it wasn't impossible for pugs. I have a number of friends who pugged it without being carried through it.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    dojangodojango Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Wrong

I did 45 minute baron runs in dungeon blues, it was hard and took some practice, but you absolutley did not need raid gear to do it.

yeah, mainly it just required practice. ALthough I had done strat a million billion times before the quests came out, 5 of us just got together and speed ran it a couple of times, and what do you know, we got it on the 3rd try. Only had dungeon/0.5 gear (although I did have bene).

Speaking of which, strat speed runs are back, baby! 25 min and we got a bronze riding drake. Well, one guy did, the rest of us got to watch him ride it around.

dojango on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    dojango wrote: »

Wrong

yeah, mainly it just required practice. ALthough I had done strat a million billion times before the quests came out, 5 of us just got together and speed ran it a couple of times, and what do you know, we got it on the 3rd try. Only had dungeon/0.5 gear (although I did have bene).

Speaking of which, strat speed runs are back, baby! 25 min and we got a bronze riding drake. Well, one guy did, the rest of us got to watch him ride it around.

Elaborate.

You get a bronze drake for 25 min runs of what? Culling?

Dissociater on
  • Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    heroic culling speed runs get an additional boss:
    http://www.wowwiki.com/Infinite_Corruptor

SaraLuna on
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I haven't been to scholo or strat in probably over 2 years, I'm actually looking forward to going back there (and not needing help to do it).

And I'll bet you'll get the horse on your first kill.

*Grumble Grumble*

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    dojangodojango Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    heroic culling speed runs get an additional boss:
    http://www.wowwiki.com/Infinite_Corruptor

and the corrupter has a 100% chance to drop a bronze riding drake.

dojango on
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I didn't get to see a log ride in the Grizzly Hills yet either. Is that Horde-side only, perhaps?

Alliance has a fun little thing in Howling Fjord where, once you get the key, you can ride a flaming harpoon down into Valgarde.

I'm betting there's an Alliance version too. Look for a guy on a platform right next to the log flume. (looks like a water slide)

Venture bay has a kinda fun Torpedo thing if you own the lighthouse too.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Wrong

Hence the "easier" part. It was doable in dungeon blues, but from what I read it was pretty tough. My guild had a pretty steady group running there constantly and the best we were able to do was 55 minutes.
    It wasn't meant to be easy. But it wasn't impossible for pugs. I have a number of friends who pugged it without being carried through it.
    Maybe it's a server-specific thing, but on my server, I don't recall any pugs being able to do it. I saw a few of the top-tier guild guys sporting the Dungeon 2 set just for kicks though. Not sure what the point was there.

Halfmex on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Wrong

Hence the "easier" part. It was doable in dungeon blues, but from what I read it was pretty tough. My guild had a pretty steady group running there constantly and the best we were able to do was 55 minutes.
    Maybe it's a server-specific thing, but on my server, I don't recall any pugs being able to do it. I saw a few of the top-tier guild guys sporting the Dungeon 2 set just for kicks though. Not sure what the point was there.

Then your server's population is a group of mouth breathers. It was very doable for pugs. It wasn't doable if you fought every mob along the way. But if you paid attention and avoided the packs that could be avoided you could do it with time to spare. Also it sounds like you didn't try it yourself?

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Then your server's population is a group of mouth breathers. It was very doable for pugs. It wasn't doable if you fought every mob along the way. But if you paid attention and avoided the packs that could be avoided you could do it with time to spare. Also it sounds like you didn't try it yourself?
    I won't defend my server's average intelligence, that's for sure.

But yeah, a group of my guild members and I did try it quite often. Maybe there was some super-secret strategy we never figured out, but we skipped mob packs where possible and potted (just not to insane levels). Best we could ever do was 55 minutes, so I don't know. That was a pretty common complaint on the official forums as well, not that that's worth much. I'd still wager that those who were able to do it in dungeon blues and greens were more the exception than the rule.

Halfmex on
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Wrong

My guild did the runs as a service for friends and alts. We were good at it. Tier2 geared, sure. But at the end, we could do it in 24 minutes. Last two attempts were for 22 minutes (So we could claim less then half) but that never materialized.

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    It took crazy chain pulling and little to no down time. We were tricked out in Tier 2, so it was kind of hax, but you just had to not stop. I cannot vouch for how easy that is in dungeon blues. But, dungeon blues were terrible back then so I understand. We used to sell runs.

mastman on
    ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku
  • Options
    rizriz Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I also chuckled a bit when I saw two deer, a skunk, and a rabbit walking around together near that camp, partiuclarly their names. I only remember Bambina and Mother of Bambina.

For me this went pretty much as follows:

Me: Oh hey, these critters! It's Bambi and his friends. Haha.
    Boyfriend: Oh really, where? ::run up, Consecrate::
    Critters: x__x
    Me: You're a bad, bad man.

The devs actually gave the baby apes screams. Well, yelps. But still, they actually made a sound effect for "hurt, frightened baby ape".

I hate that quest. I haven't even done it yet but it makes me upset everytime someone talks about it. Maybe if they hadn't named them something so cute like "softknuckles." :(

SabreMau wrote: »
    I remember back at level 70, I went through a whole lot of normal instances before I started in on heroics. But this time, it's like "It's level 80, time for heroics." Are endgame 5-mans run more often on normal mode or heroic mode nowadays?

Mm. I did about four instances nonheroic while leveling. I only did CoT:Strat nonheroic once because we were dragging along a 78 DK friend for gear. People pretty much leapt right into heroics in level 75 greens/blues and it was a bit of a mess.

mastman wrote: »
    I like the sneaking around of DM the best. If you're good you can sneak by most pulls

You really can ninja your way through almost all of that instance, and the design really seems like the devs wanted you to do that. Some of the packs in there were pretty brutal for people in pre-raid gear.

In my guild "Dire Maul" actually became the verb that one uses to describe the very practice of sneaking past trash packs to make quicker clear times through an instance. "Okay, Dire Maul those guys on the right, hug the wall and you'll make it...."

riz on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Exactly, which is why I never heard of a Kargath (Horde) pug doing it. Chain pulling pretty much never happened in pugs back then. It was "sap/sheep/sleep a target, burn down tank's target, re-sheep/kill CC'd target, move onto next group". Efficiency was not a word in the average pug's vernacular.

Note the "average" there.

Halfmex on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So is it not easy to get in heroics at 80? What's the gear situation looking like for a tank to need to be at HP,Armor, Defense wise?

I know defense is what, 535 heroics and 540 for raids?

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I won't defend my server's average intelligence, that's for sure.

But yeah, a group of my guild members and I did try it quite often. Maybe there was some super-secret strategy we never figured out, but we skipped mob packs where possible and potted (just not to insane levels). Best we could ever do was 55 minutes, so I don't know. That was a pretty common complaint on the official forums as well, not that that's worth much. I'd still wager that those who were able to do it in dungeon blues and greens were more the exception than the rule.

Not really. In greens it would have been hard. In blues it was very doable without going all out for consumables. It really was simply a matter of getting a good rhythm of chain pulling down and remembering not to drink unless you need to.

And citing the official forums for the difficulty of anything is never a strong argument to bring to the table. There were complaints on the official forums that getting your monthly gems was too hard.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    riz wrote: »
    I also chuckled a bit when I saw two deer, a skunk, and a rabbit walking around together near that camp, partiuclarly their names. I only remember Bambina and Mother of Bambina.

For me this went pretty much as follows:

Me: Oh hey, these critters! It's Bambi and his friends. Haha.
    Boyfriend: Oh really, where? ::run up, Consecrate::
    Critters: x__x
    Me: You're a bad, bad man.

There needs to be an achievement for that. "Terrible Person"

God the guild chat discussion would be hilarious the first time someone unlocks that.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
This discussion has been closed.