As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Irrational fear

2»

• Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Goths and Emos are indestinguishable in their novice/wannabe forms. Only when you get those that are totally commited to the lifestyle do you really see the differences.

A real Emo kid on a beautiful night would say, 'God, I feel horrible that I'm stuck partying tonight while hundreds of thousands of poor people are starving and alone. Im gonna make a ton of drawings tonight for my 'zine and listen to some Boy's Life and Built to Spill on my Ipod, maybe cut myself.'

A goth kid for starters wouldn't be caught dead at a party with people. She'd be writing a poem to Lord Byron (who reall wasn't anything near a gothic poet but whatever) and meeting with her friends later to LARP some Vampire:TM. Interestingly enough she'd probably go to church that week.

Getting them in the same room would unleash a dimension of suck and lame that rivals the power of even the most dedicated GURPS players on the planet, which is actually how I met these two particular people.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Also mild goth chicks are hotter

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    There's probably no point in trying to convince y'all that there are cool goths and emos around, somewhere.

Wait, now I think about it, everyone sucks, so it's all fine in the end. :P

Aldo on
  • Options
    LadyMLadyM Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Well, I think a lot of times kids are teased and picked on a lot to begin with, so they dress gothically because then if people shun them or bully them, at least they can think, "It's because I dress differently" rather than "there's something about me they hate". Or they might just like the look. I like the goth look myself, but I don't think I could have pulled it off. And now I work in an office so it's not really an option.

LadyM on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited January 2007
    LadyM wrote:
    Well, I think a lot of times kids are teased and picked on a lot to begin with, so they dress gothically because then if people shun them or bully them, at least they can think, "It's because I dress differently" rather than "there's something about me they hate". Or they might just like the look. I like the goth look myself, but I don't think I could have pulled it off. And now I work in an office so it's not really an option.
    There's a ton of truth to this. You don't see kids often dropping off the football squad because they really want to rock a trenchcoat and eyeliner. Kids are cruel to each other, and it's probably marginally better to a kid if he's picked on for being a freaky-deaky goth than for being an awkward dork.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited January 2007
    Gorak wrote:
    When I was a kid, we hated goths because they gave us a bad name. We didn't wear black because we were depressed and introspective - we were just metal as all fuck! :twisted:

I wore black because I liked black. I thought it made me look cool.

I was wrong, of course.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    ElJeffe wrote:
    Gorak wrote:
    When I was a kid, we hated goths because they gave us a bad name. We didn't wear black because we were depressed and introspective - we were just metal as all fuck! :twisted:

I wore black because I liked black. I thought it made me look cool.

I was wrong, of course.

There is no black black enough to make Jeffe look cool

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    Rabid_LlamaRabid_Llama Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I think any goth kid who actually takes offense to what other people say isn't doing it because that is who they really are. Anyone who is being themselves would not take offense to someone criticizing them, they would just shrug it off.

That is why I think most goths are just attention whores.

Rabid_Llama on
    /sig
    The+Rabid+Llama.png
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The best part about these arguments is how nobody can ever actually agree on the definition of the terms being used.

Zek on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Zek wrote:
    The best part about these arguments is how nobody can ever actually agree on the definition of the terms being used.
    It's just like science~!

Aldo on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Don't goths not like David Lee Roth because they are totally goth?

In all honesty any group with a persecution complex sees the whole world hating them, without realizing of course the entire world hates everyone equally.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    rocksteadybeboprocksteadybebop Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I say let goths do their thing. It is not like they bother anyone, and if some guy with black eyeliner feels like wearing that thing with all the buckles that looks a lot like a dress, who am I to comment? Besides, mentioning that he is the living embodiment of yin and yang, a veritable modern art masterpiece, with the rich black leather in sharp contrast to the sickly,pale, never-seen-the-sun skin fails to accomplish anything of significance, other than some sort of mumbled spell against my ancestors or some such shit.
    In retrospect, I think it is fair to say I did not get along with the goth crowd well. It is a good thing those guys are completely harmless.

rocksteadybebop on
  • Options
    YarYar Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The main problem I had with goths is that they all acted like their style and clothing was some original expression of their inner being. No, you're just dressing and acting like the people you want to hang out and who accept you. Same as the preppie in the pink polo. At least the preppie is more likely to acknowledge that he dresses that way to fit in.

Yar on
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    Yar wrote:
    The main problem I had with goths is that they all acted like their style and clothing was some original expression of their inner being. No, you're just dressing and acting like the people you want to hang out and who accept you. Same as the preppie in the pink polo. At least the preppie is more likely to acknowledge that he dresses that way to fit in.
    The preppie doesn't operate in a social circle where the very acknowledgement of "fitting in" is like a scarlet letter. If he did, he would be just as likely to deny it and make various claims to cover himself as the goth. Since people don't so much choose high-school cliques as the cliques choose them, I find it absurd that you're holding one clique above another for such a trivial difference. It's a very high-school approach to the whole thing. And as the goth and the preppie are removed further and further from high-school, the response "because I like it" becomes more and more likely than "because I want to be unique" or "because everyone else is wearing it" for both of them. That response also tends to become more true as you remove members of high-school cliques further and further from high-school.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Yar wrote:
    The preppie doesn't operate in a social circle where the very acknowledgement of "fitting in" is like a scarlet letter. If he did, he would be just as likely to deny it and make various claims to cover himself as the goth. Since people don't so much choose high-school cliques as the cliques choose them, I find it absurd that you're holding one clique above another for such a trivial difference. It's a very high-school approach to the whole thing. And as the goth and the preppie are removed further and further from high-school, the response "because I like it" becomes more and more likely than "because I want to be unique" or "because everyone else is wearing it" for both of them. That response also tends to become more true as you remove members of high-school cliques further and further from high-school.
    This is because high school is full of a lot of social bullshit, and if you're really lucky you realize early on that you should tell everyone to fuck right the hell off with their superior bullshit. Sadly this doesn't work anyway because it only works if everyone else think's they're full of it.

Funnily enough, this is a lot like arguing on the internet in terms of victory and loss.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    Yar wrote:
    This is because high school is full of a lot of social bullshit, and if you're really lucky you realize early on that you should tell everyone to fuck right the hell off with their superior bullshit. Sadly this doesn't work anyway because it only works if everyone else think's they're full of it.

Funnily enough, this is a lot like arguing on the internet in terms of victory and loss.
    But if you really are consistently right like Tube, you can rule the world. But most people aren't.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    RedShellRedShell Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I worry about someone under 40 who never went through a goth (or now you kids call it emo) phase. Unless you're black.

RedShell on
    Homing In Imperfectly?
    Pokemans D/P: 1289 4685 0522
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    RedShell wrote:
    I worry about someone under 40 who never went through a goth (or now you kids call it emo) phase. Unless you're black.

I never went through either phase (emo wasn't really AROUND when I was in school).

There are other ways to sneer at the world.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I could never take myself seriously enough.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I was too wierd to be a goth.

I hated everything, but, goths were included in everything. Thier music wasn't all that great either. I was more into ska and punk, I probably would have been emo, but it didn't exist so much.

Like, I had the glasses for it. Cloathing was kinda a grungie skater ska fussion thing. And my hair was either really short, or kinda a fro, I would have done the emo hair thing, but it wasn't something that was going to happen.

Actually, funny story. Some goth kids we attempting to start shit with me, and I kinda flipped out on them. Shoved one into a locker, got up in his face, and left a big enough impression, with a rather long string of epitaphs and promises of what I would do to his famliy, that the were kinda scared of me. Like, worried that I'd filp out and do some damnage, and they didn't want to be in my way when it happened.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I didn't see much point in the whole goth thing. By the time I got to high school, I made no effort to fit in with anyone anymore. Waste of time.

Elendil on