As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Aliens: Colonial Marines...the Bad News Update

Guirec730Guirec730 Registered User regular
edited November 2008 in Games and Technology
As it has been posted in the thread pertaining to the Aliens: CM trailer, development on the Sega/Gearbox shooter has hit some snags. They have laid off 25 people (some sites say 26) and cut the funding until Borderlands comes out. The reason? Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway failed to meet sales expectations and now the company is in damage control mode.

Now...you would think that a game based on a franchise as strong as Aliens wouldn't have any problem selling, but that fact is apparently lost on whomever is making the calls on this project.

So I drafted a petition, one that I hope can generate enough signatures to indicate a substantial community interest in the game, and can show those that matter that we want the game, and that they will profit from our interest.

If you love Aliens, shooters, or are just curious to see how the game turns out, I urge you to sign here:

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/aliens-must--stay-frosty/index.html

Lock and load.

Petition to Support Aliens: Colonial Marines from Cancellation
Guirec730 on

• JoeslopJoeslop Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Guirec730 wrote: »
    As it has been posted in the thread pertaining to the Aliens: CM trailer, development on the Sega/Gearbox shooter has hit some snags. They have laid off 25 people (some sites say 26) and cut the funding until Borderlands comes out. The reason? Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway failed to meet sales expectations and now the company is in damage control mode.

Now...you would think that a game based on a franchise as strong as Aliens wouldn't have any problem selling, but that fact is apparently lost on whomever is making the calls on this project.

So I drafted a petition, one that I hope can generate enough signatures to indicate a substantial community interest in the game, and can show those that matter that we want the game, and that they will profit from our interest.

If you love Aliens, shooters, or are just curious to see how the game turns out, I urge you to sign here:

Lock and load.

In the entire history of the world, I don't think an online petition has done anything.

Joeslop on
  • FireWeaselFireWeasel Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Joeslop wrote: »

Lock and load.

In the entire history of the world, I don't think an online petition has done anything.

To be fair, online petitions DID kill Hitler.

Anyway, did this get cleared by the mods, or...

FireWeasel on
    AC:CL Wii -- 3824-2125-9336 City: Felinito Me: Nick
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Guirec730Guirec730 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Actually, ipetitions hosted a petition to get a female Spartan voice into Halo 3 multiplayer.

Though the petition was never referenced by the devs, that actually happened.

Guirec730 on
    edited November 2008
    Spoit wrote: »

Yes, I saw that. I also posted in it.

I thought that this deserved its own thread, because that info was in a thread about the trailer to the game.

Guirec730 on
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2008
    Actually, ipetitions hosted a petition to get a female Spartan voice into Halo 3 multiplayer.

Though the petition was never referenced by the devs, that actually happened.

Bungie announced that Halo 3 would have the female voice for multi waaay before the game released. It wasn't from a petition.

http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?cid=9194 (search for 'female')

FyreWulff on
  • KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Spoit wrote: »

Yes, I saw that. I also posted in it.

I thought that this deserved its own thread, because that info was in a thread about the trailer to the game.

No, the thread was about the game.

Your online petition that will, as all online petitions, do absolutely nothing did not deserve its own thread.

Khavall on
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    If I start an online petition to stop online petitions will that create some sort of black hole? Or at the very least emphasize how ridiculously ineffective they are?

HappylilElf on
    edited November 2008
    If we consider the fact that if the team actually does get a chance to see this thing...an email with the signatures of now dozens of people passionately defending their game...it's like getting fan mail on a massive scale. That's got to at least make someone's day.

I really don't see the harm in what I am doing here. 2 things can come from it:

A) Good

or

B) Nothing.

Guirec730 on
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Well no, you're not doing harm by any means.

You're doing Option B) Nothing.

Only you made a thread telling everyone that you're doing nothing. Which is kind of silly and why people are making dumb jokes and pointing it out.

I mean, you said in the other thread you made it to help stop you from losing your mind, and that's cool. People are just saying you may want to keep in mind that helping you keep your sanity is the only thing an online petition has a chance of doing.

HappylilElf on
  • scootchscootch Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    wtf is this petition shite. this won't put money in developers pockets.

go buy boxes of Brothers in Arms if you want them to make Aliens.

scootch on
    TF2 stats
    PSN: super_emu
    Xbox360 Gamertag: Emuchop
    edited November 2008
    It's kind of like standing out in front of the white house with a big sign with some slogan on it yelling some slogan and stopping people on the street to yell at them. There are organized groups about all of the issues he's talking about, but he feels his slogan deserves its own crazy person on the lawn.

The two options are that it either helps or does nothing.

Do you see the problem?

Khavall on
    edited November 2008
    If we consider the fact that if the team actually does get a chance to see this thing...an email with the signatures of now dozens of people passionately defending their game...it's like getting fan mail on a massive scale. That's got to at least make someone's day.

These are people who hope that millions of people will support them passionately enough to spend $60 on their product.

100 or 1,000 or even 10,000 people who spend $0 on their product is not really going to "make their day" and have a serious impact on their decision.

Khavall on
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So, the failure of a crappy WW2 FPS basically made this game, which looked to have great potential get put on hold?

Sigh.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
This discussion has been closed.