As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Final Fantasy - 'Coz we can't stick to Dissidia.

• Options
    APZonerunnerAPZonerunner Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Hey guys. Here's an OP for you.

What is Dissidia?
    Dissidia is a game being released to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the Final Fantasy series. The game is a real-time action combat game, with a system that makes use of the stats and figures so closely associated with Final Fantasy alongside real-time combat, similar to the recently released Crisis Core and Kingdom Hearts games.

The game is being released on the 21st anniversary of Final Fantasy I's release, December 18th in Japan.

The game features the most famous characters from every entry in the series fighting it out against and alongside oneanother for a common cause.

So it's like Smash Bros. No plot?
    Yes and no. Dissidia has a multiplayer mode, and quite a large one at that. But primarily it is a single player game. Square-Enix staff have composed a story that in terms of script size is even larger than Crisis Core's, straddling multiple Final Fantasy worlds, locations and storylines.

The gist of the plot is that Chaos has decided he's tired of seeing the forces of evil beat down over and over again, and has pulled the greatest villains from various timelines together to fight together to steal the crystals and end the world.

Cosmos doesn't like this idea, though, and has likewise gathered the forces of good to save the world. The first ten heroes and the first ten antagonists from Final Fantasy I-X are all fighting. For multiplayer there will be several special unlockable characters.

Characters
    Dissidia features a range of characters from across the Final Fantasy series. As yet, the plot details are sketchy, but it seems unlikely that any characters will appear from any given title in the series other than those made playable. Don't expend to see Celes backing up Terra even as an NPC, for instance, as nothing released about the game so far indicates anything like this will happen.

The game has an interesting art design in that all the characters follow closely to the original art by Mr. Amano. Even the games with art design by others (FF7, 8 and 10 by Tetsuya Nomura, 9 co-designed by Toshiyuki Itahana) have been edited to more closely match Amano's original art. Sephiroth's shoulder armour, for example, has blue decor and trinkets to match Amano's take on the character, and Squall has the small cape attached to his coat that the Amano art shows him wearing.

It's a great chance to see all the art and characters from across the series redesigned and redrawn by both Nomura and Amano - Nomura has handled the individual character art, while Amano has contributed overall story art. Before you ask, Terra's hair is blonde, not green.

Final Fantasy I
    Warrior of Light vs. Garland
    final_fantasy_dissidia_conceptart_XWZr0.jpg vs final_fantasy_dissidia_conceptart_LcZts.jpg

Final Fantasy II
    Firion vs. Emperor Palamecia
    final_fantasy_dissidia_conceptart_17Zv2.jpg vs final_fantasy_dissidia_conceptart_RNoY1.jpg

Final Fantasy III
    Onion Knight vs. Cloud of Darkness
    final_fantasy_dissidia_conceptart_DUyD3.jpg vs final_fantasy_dissidia_conceptart_6g8AG.jpg

Final Fantasy IV

Cecil Harvey vs. Golbez
    final_fantasy_dissidia_conceptart_PKH5f.jpg or final_fantasy_dissidia_conceptart_HM9Zm.jpg vs final_fantasy_dissidia_conceptart_26AWY.jpg

Final Fantasy V
    Bartz vs. ExDeath
    dissidia_artwork_bartz.png vs dissidia_artwork_exdeath.png

Final Fantasy VI
    Terra Branford vs. Kefka Palazzo
    dissidia_artwork_terra.png vs dissidia_artwork_kefka.png

Final Fantasy VII
    Cloud Strife vs. Sephiroth
    No decent art yet but we all know what these two look like.

Final Fantasy VIII
    Squall Leonhart vs. Ultimecia
    final_fantasy_dissidia_conceptart_MZjG2.jpg vs final_fantasy_dissidia_conceptart_y3jNo.jpg

Final Fantasy IX
    Zidane Tribal vs. Kuja
    final_fantasy_dissidia_conceptart_zkzyv.jpg vs final_fantasy_dissidia_conceptart_NHyac.jpg

Final Fantasy X
    Tidus vs. Jecht
    final_fantasy_dissidia_conceptart_2hcZu.jpg vs final_fantasy_dissidia_conceptart_xntVl.jpg

Extra Characters:
    From Final Fantasy XI, Shantotto.. the rest TBA
    19bhbm.jpg

Trailers
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zv7K0RPG5xU
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ci1q1MEi7Xw

APZonerunner on
    APZonerunner | RPG Site | UFFSite | The Gaming Vault
    XBL/PSN/Steam: APZonerunner
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The only reason I really want to try the game is because Golbez is one of my favorite FF villians ever...but I also wish it was on anything but the PSP, first of all, I don't own one; and second...I don't really want one.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    zanmattozanmatto Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    This game sounds absolutely magnificent. If I had a PSP, it'd be a day 1 buy.

zanmatto on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    This trailer in particular shows off everyone from the story, and is madly epic.

APZonerunner on
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I'm probably going to buy this, although I'm not really all that excited about it yet. I'll have to see how it plays, I guess, considering I haven't/won't play KH and Crisis Core.....well, find the back and smack it with a giant sword. You win.

From what I've read up about it, there's (or at least there was the idea, I don't know) a whole system in the game that revolves around sort of a transformation or powering up or limit type of thing that let's you change in battle to rock out with. (The Power Stone comparison is really astute in this way.) My only reasoning on using this is with Terra, honestly (Esper), so that might need to be looked into. However, I'm wondering about something.

Will Cecil be in the game as two separate entities for his Dark Knight/Paladin thing? Or will it be how early Soul Calibur games implemented Nightmare/Siegfried? (AKA, Nightmare being the main character, Siegfried as an alternate costume.)

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    LordOfMeepLordOfMeep Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    According to some recent magazine scans Cecil can swtich between his two classes on the fly, and his Limit involves both forms. Dark Knight is more adept at ground combat, and Paladin is more adept at air combat.

Lots of translated info from magazine scans can be found in this LiveJournal group posted by the same person that subbed the trailers.

LordOfMeep on
    SpaceGarSig.png
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    If I owned a PSP I might pick this up. I mean, it'll probably be shitty but I love FFIV and FFVI and the artwork for their characters is amazing (they did a good job of making Kefka look like a fucked up psychopath). But I don't own one and besides Final Fantasy Tactics there aren't any other PSP games that I would want to own so I most likely won't buy one any time soon.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    toolberttoolbert Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    WooHoo Kefka!!! My favorite ff villian....so must get this when it hits

toolbert on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I hope everyone gets a unique campaign. Games like this make me glad I have a PSP(and it was FFT I bought one for in the first place, followed by Disgaea and Crisis Core).

And yeah, Kefka looks and sounds appropriately insane.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    toolbert wrote: »
    WooHoo Kefka!!! My favorite ff villian....so must get this when it hits

Alright! FFVI coming to represent! Too bad I don't own a PSP.

Oh, and Terra FTW. :P

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Wait, Jecht? He wasn't really the big bad guy from X.

Mr Pink on
  • Options
    TopiaTopia Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    They couldn't really put Sin as a playable character in this game. It would be live having Lavos. Though, fuck, if they started sliding around and away from pure FF games and threw some Chrono/Magus in this game I would explode.

Edit: Chances of this happening? None. I wanna keep hope that they might throw in some secret characters like them for fun, but I highly highly doubt it's going to happen.

Topia on
  • Options
    MagicManMagicMan Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Mr Pink wrote: »
    Yeah I was confused on this as well. I figured they would pick Seymour but maybe its because he looks similar to some of the villains already on the list?

MagicMan on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I think Ject was the right choice, he's fairly unique and a good style for a fighting game. He seems more popular than the other characters too.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I assume Jecht is in the game so they can throw more angsty bullshit our way that they didn't get to put in X for...obvious reasons. Since there's the story modes and all that.

Edit: I really don't like FFX.

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Darth_Mogs wrote: »
    I assume Jecht is in the game so they can throw more angsty bullshit our way that they didn't get to put in X for...obvious reasons. Since there's the story modes and all that.

Edit: I really don't like FFX.

I think the only other options from X would have been Seymour Guado (LAME) or Shuyin which would have, in my opinion, been more interesting but wouldn't have made for very good story as the two never actually even met each other.

Not that I was a *huge* fan of X, it was pretty damn cool when it came out.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    They need characters who can fly around and tear stuff up at high speeds, so Jecht >>> Seymour.

I'm not a big fan of FFX either, but it did have moments.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    MoSiAcMoSiAc Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Thanks to this thread I will be picking this up on release day, and cause I have money to burn right now.

MoSiAc on
    Monster Hunter Tri US: MoSiAc - U46FJF - Katrice | RipTen - Gaming News | Los Comics
  • Options
    SmashismSmashism Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Needs more FFXI characters. Seriously.

Smashism on
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

You mean other than
    Being the final boss
    ?

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

You mean other than
    Being the final boss
    ?

Ye gods, you've started it now.

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So what is this game exactly?

Just a dream match RPG beat-em-up in the style of Kingdom Hearts?

Godfather on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Crashmo wrote: »

You mean other than
    Being the final boss
    ?

Considering what comes after, he pretty much is, considering you can't LOSE THE NEXT FIGHT AT ALL.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    Conan-sanConan-san Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Godfather wrote: »

The video game equivlant of Chrisis on Multiple Final Fantasies, yes.

Conan-san on
  • Options
    Glenn565Glenn565 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Crashmo wrote: »

You mean other than
    Being the final boss
    ?

Considering what comes after, he pretty much is, considering you can't LOSE THE NEXT FIGHT AT ALL.

Yeah, I'd rather fight Jecht then a
    Giant Floating Space Bug.

Spoilerd just in case.

Glenn565 on
    3DS code:4511-0654-1976
    NNID: Glenn565
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I know Terra only had green hair in the game so you could tell her apart from Celes, but it still throws me for a loop when I see her portrayed as a blonde.

(And yes, I saw that one of her alternate costumes include green hair.)

ASimPerson on
  • Options
    HtR-LaserHtR-Laser Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Man. I'm conflicted about this. On one hand, it's great to see FF6 getting some much-deserved love in this game. It's an awesome, awesome game. But on the other hand, Terra is probably the least interesting to me of the 5 or 6 "main" characters in the game. Maybe this will make me like her more, I don't know, but if I don't get at least a little glimpse of Celes, I will feel a little sad. It's stupid to expect a brawl-sized roster, though, so I'll file that grievance next to my wishes for Rydia, Balthier, and Agrias.

HtR-Laser on
  • Options
    mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Smashism wrote: »
    Needs more FFXI characters. Seriously.

"Generic Human - Face 6 - Black Hair"

Fuck YES!

mastrius on
    "You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
  • Options
    CaedereCaedere S'no regrets BIRDIESRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    This game is useless to me without Freya. :(

Caedere on
    FWnykYl.jpg
  • Options
    Farout FoolioFarout Foolio Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I'm going to second Tactics Characters, Agrias would be fucking excellent.
    Keep in mind I have *no* idea who half the people in that picture are. Now if you put their sprites in, I might just get it.

Farout Foolio on
    2tyFzTC.png

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Keep in mind I have *no* idea who half the people in that picture are. Now if you put their sprites in, I might just get it.

It'd probably Ramza for the good guys. And hey, they could have made him a fucking staff user.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Dubh wrote: »

It'd probably Ramza for the good guys. And hey, they could have made him a fucking staff user.

And then we'd have Ultima as his villain counterpart so that we'd have three half-naked female villains. :winky:

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    skaceskace Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Needs more Sabin, Palom and Porom, Kain, Ultros, Odin, Gilgamesh, Gau, Shadow, ViVi, Tifa, Vincent, and Cid.

skace on
    http://picasaweb.google.com/skacer | Shiren:5413-0147-4655
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Conan-san wrote: »
    Godfather wrote: »

The video game equivlant of Chrisis on Multiple Final Fantasies, yes.

Made of win good sir.

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So I guess theyre doing 2 characters from each Final Fantasy? If this was mentioned whatever girlfriend Im just sayin.

mastrius on
    "You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
  • Options
    zanmattozanmatto Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Vivi WOULD be awesome. Then again, so would Freya.

zanmatto on
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    It seems to be main character + final boss/main villain (whichever is more interesting). Golbez and Jecht weren't, technically, the final boss or ultimate villain of their respective games, but they make for a much more interesting match-up with their counter-parts than Zemus or Yevon would. That still gives us a hefty cast of 20 characters, plus extras and doubtlessly final bosses, which is pretty awesome.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The only mainstream games that have really recognisable characters that aren't represented are FF11 and FF12 and FF13. We've got an FF11 character now, and I doubt we'll get an FF11 bad guy, as there isn't really anyone recognisable enough. For FF11 players, Shantotto was the character many were shouting for, so they got that dead right.

Your implications that FFXI doesn't have enough story to warrant a memorable character is highly disturbing. FFXI has enough story as any FF game. Hence why it's one of the main roman numerals.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    EtchEtch Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Why is David Bowie in this game?

Etch on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Updating the FAQ thingy with new character pics:
    What is Dissidia?
    Dissidia is a game being released to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the Final Fantasy series. The game is a real-time action combat game, with a system that makes use of the stats and figures so closely associated with Final Fantasy alongside real-time combat, similar to the recently released Crisis Core and Kingdom Hearts games.

The game is being released on the 21st anniversary of Final Fantasy I's release, December 18th in Japan.

The game features the most famous characters from every entry in the series fighting it out against and alongside oneanother for a common cause.

So it's like Smash Bros. No plot?
    Yes and no. Dissidia has a multiplayer mode, and quite a large one at that. But primarily it is a single player game. Square-Enix staff have composed a story that in terms of script size is even larger than Crisis Core's, straddling multiple Final Fantasy worlds, locations and storylines.

The gist of the plot is that Chaos has decided he's tired of seeing the forces of evil beat down over and over again, and has pulled the greatest villains from various timelines together to fight together to steal the crystals and end the world.

Cosmos doesn't like this idea, though, and has likewise gathered the forces of good to save the world. The first ten heroes and the first ten antagonists from Final Fantasy I-X are all fighting. For multiplayer there will be several special unlockable characters.

Characters
    Dissidia features a range of characters from across the Final Fantasy series. As yet, the plot details are sketchy, but it seems unlikely that any characters will appear from any given title in the series other than those made playable. Don't expend to see Celes backing up Terra even as an NPC, for instance, as nothing released about the game so far indicates anything like this will happen.

The game has an interesting art design in that all the characters follow closely to the original art by Mr. Amano. Even the games with art design by others (FF7, 8 and 10 by Tetsuya Nomura, 9 co-designed by Toshiyuki Itahana) have been edited to more closely match Amano's original art. Sephiroth's shoulder armour, for example, has blue decor and trinkets to match Amano's take on the character, and Squall has the small cape attached to his coat that the Amano art shows him wearing.

It's a great chance to see all the art and characters from across the series redesigned and redrawn by both Nomura and Amano - Nomura has handled the individual character art, while Amano has contributed overall story art. Before you ask, Terra's hair is blonde, not green.

Final Fantasy I
    Warrior of Light vs. Garland
    final_fantasy_dissidia_conceptart_XWZr0.jpg vs final_fantasy_dissidia_conceptart_LcZts.jpg

Final Fantasy II
    Firion vs. Emperor Palamecia
    final_fantasy_dissidia_conceptart_17Zv2.jpg vs final_fantasy_dissidia_conceptart_RNoY1.jpg

Final Fantasy III
    Onion Knight vs. Cloud of Darkness
    final_fantasy_dissidia_conceptart_DUyD3.jpg vs final_fantasy_dissidia_conceptart_6g8AG.jpg

Final Fantasy IV

Cecil Harvey vs. Golbez
    final_fantasy_dissidia_conceptart_PKH5f.jpg or final_fantasy_dissidia_conceptart_HM9Zm.jpg vs final_fantasy_dissidia_conceptart_26AWY.jpg

Final Fantasy V
    Bartz vs. ExDeath
    dissidia_artwork_bartz.png vs dissidia_artwork_exdeath.png

Final Fantasy VI
    Terra Branford vs. Kefka Palazzo
    dissidia_artwork_terra.png vs dissidia_artwork_kefka.png

Final Fantasy VII
    Cloud Strife vs. Sephiroth
    dissidia_artwork_cloud.png vs dissidia_artwork_sephiroth.png

Final Fantasy VIII
    Squall Leonhart vs. Ultimecia
    final_fantasy_dissidia_conceptart_MZjG2.jpg vs final_fantasy_dissidia_conceptart_y3jNo.jpg

Final Fantasy IX
    Zidane Tribal vs. Kuja
    final_fantasy_dissidia_conceptart_zkzyv.jpg vs final_fantasy_dissidia_conceptart_NHyac.jpg

Final Fantasy X
    Tidus vs. Jecht
    final_fantasy_dissidia_conceptart_2hcZu.jpg vs final_fantasy_dissidia_conceptart_xntVl.jpg

Extra Characters:
    From Final Fantasy XI, Shantotto.. the rest TBA
    19bhbm.jpg

Trailers
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ci1q1MEi7Xw
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    The only mainstream games that have really recognisable characters that aren't represented are FF11 and FF12 and FF13. We've got an FF11 character now, and I doubt we'll get an FF11 bad guy, as there isn't really anyone recognisable enough. For FF11 players, Shantotto was the character many were shouting for, so they got that dead right.

Your implications that FFXI doesn't have enough story to warrant a memorable character is highly disturbing. FFXI has enough story as any FF game. Hence why it's one of the main roman numerals.

I think if there was going to be both an FF11 hero and antagonist they'd be part of the main cast. I expected FF11 and 12 to get an extra character all along, though. Probably one each. I've nothing against FF11, I played it for about two and a half years - I just think it really lacks ANY character who is as memorable and recognisable as the other characters who 'lead' this game. Even a more forgettable hero such as Bartz or a more forgettable bad guy like FF2's Emperor are slightly more memorable than FF11's stuff.

It doesn't help that FF11 is split. As a Windhurstian I encountered Shantotto a fair bit, but if you're not from that country and only play one account her addition to Dissidia may elicit a bit of a "huh?!" response as you rarely meet her if at all. And therein lies the problem with FF11 characters in this game. Shantotto is a good choice, though, as she's popular with the real hardcore FF11 fanbase (who her addition is really for, really, as opposed to the other FF fans) and she's a mage, and there currently isn't a hero who focuses mainly on elemental magic in the line-up.

Also, a new gameplay video for you guys:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8raiVQDk45U&fmt=18

In this video Seph uses a move or two from his appearances in Kingdom Hearts as an optional boss, so it looks like Dissidia is drawing together things and providing come continuity across all appearances the character has made..

APZonerunner on