As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

How cheesy will the 00's look?

SamSam Registered User regular
edited December 2008 in Debate and/or Discourse
It is inevitable for the present to feel like the culmination of all progress/progressiveness in society, particularly when technology develops rapidly as it is today.

What is this decade going to look like in a time capsule once we're a little bit removed though? The advent of reality tv on a huge scale, the level of political discourse, and the perhaps most rapidly fermenting, popular music. We are the decade of big bass crunk, and sundry other market flooding subgenres of hip-hop produced with bargain bin beats, because studios wanted to pay for neither good producers nor samples. The death of "rock" and "alternative" continues for the most part, with most bands that have a conception of what art is getting their start on indie labels and either making it huge (The Strokes) or forever playing on the college town circuit.
I still think the 2000's has had better music overall than decades before, simply because there is that much more music out there from different parts of the world than before. The flipside to this is we're seeing the worst saturation in pretty much every "genre" (a word that's becoming increasingly vague) than ever before, quantitatively speaking.

It's also been a decade that (perhaps inevitably due to the huge media access breakthroughs as well as an ever expanding body of pop culture media) has had an obsession with decades past. The nostalgia industry in all its aspects, the countless reunions of bands from various decades, plumbing the depths of obscurity for film franchises, etc.

The relative novelty of internet self expression. I can see aspects that looking ridiculous in the next 10 years. Especially the way most people express themselves on uh, theirspace.

Or am I wasting my time pondering this stuff now?

Sam on

• GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Everything was super shiny and "sleek".

So shiny!

Godfather on
  • EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    For a few minutes, I thought we'd actually get off fairly well. Most recent decades have at least one fashion misstep that is endlessly mocked in the future. The 90s did okay, but it had flannel. The 80s were practically defined by their goofy clothing. The 70s had bell bottoms and everything else disco. We seemed okay.

And then one word hit me: "emo." Yeah, we'll be hearing Fallout Boy jokes for the next 30 years.

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Godfather wrote: »

So shiny!

Alternatively: torn, tattered, frayed, and old looking.

Plus they're gonna laugh at the scene kids.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • SamSam Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    ironic t shirts are definitely going to look ironically unhip.

or maybe i'm confused as to the degree of irony removed here

Sam on
  • AS_hellionAS_hellion Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    What about i-everything?

AS_hellion on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    4chan.

4chan is going to be in history books and studied by people in the future.

I don't really care if people look back at us in 50 years and laugh a little. A lot of it is pretty ridiculous, but a lot about how media is created and distributed is changing. More rapidly than it has in decades. They won't think too harshly of us.

But anthropologist hundreds of years from now are going to find 4chan. I can't sleep when I think about that.

wait, I though ironic t-shirts went out with the 90s, and people were only wearing them in a form of meta-irony.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
    edited November 2008
    For a few minutes, I thought we'd actually get off fairly well. Most recent decades have at least one fashion misstep that is endlessly mocked in the future. The 90s did okay, but it had flannel. The 80s were practically defined by their goofy clothing. The 70s had bell bottoms and everything else disco. We seemed okay.

And then one word hit me: "emo." Yeah, we'll be hearing Fallout Boy jokes for the next 30 years.

the 90's also had the super-saggy pants. And long ass chains on pants.

The equivalent of that this decade is the really expensive looking non-athletic tracksuits that look like they're made of velvet. Makes me think of the "ensconced in velvet" bit from seinfeld.

Sam on
  • tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I don't know, I think people will just be glad we weren't the 60s, 70's and 80s and much of the 90s. I swear there wasn't an attractive woman on the planet for 30 years.

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
    edited November 2008
    well britney spears in her "prime" was hotter than miley cyrus.

i think it's an awesome cheese-tid-bit that she sprang forth into everyone's radar from the loins of the man who made achy breaky heart.

Sam on
  • tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I should probably have said early 90s, attractive women began to reappear by the late 80s and were once again a common sight on TV and in films by 1993.

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    00s had a lot of trashy-looking retro movements, like the horrible punch-in-the-face trailor park queen eye makeup, the incredibly variety of ugly multi-tone hairstyles, making your hair look all fuzzy, and that thing girls do with their hair when they pull the bangs back so it looks like they have cancer on their forehead.

http://images.teamsugar.com/files/users/2/20652/24_2007/Claire-Danes.jpg

Incenjucar on
    edited November 2008

So shiny!

Alternatively: torn, tattered, frayed, and old looking.

Plus they're gonna laugh at the scene kids.

Yeah, but for the first couple of years it was all about the future!

Everything was super glossy with lots of razzle dazzle. Everything was millennium-ized.

Godfather on
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Remember the 2000 model cars?

They all looked like they needed an epi-pen.

Incenjucar on
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2008
    Everybody's going to remember how every advertising and company slogan was

Always. Done. With. Periods.

(seriously, has anyone noticed that? Every freaking company motto and ad line.)

Also the advent of YouTube. Telegraph -> Telephone -> Radio -> TV -> YouTube

FyreWulff on
  • matisyahumatisyahu Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Sam wrote: »
    It is inevitable for the present to feel like the culmination of all progress/progressiveness in society, particularly when technology develops rapidly as it is today.

What is this decade going to look like in a time capsule once we're a little bit removed though? The advent of reality tv on a huge scale, the level of political discourse, and the perhaps most rapidly fermenting, popular music. We are the decade of big bass crunk, and sundry other market flooding subgenres of hip-hop produced with bargain bin beats, because studios wanted to pay for neither good producers nor samples. The death of "rock" and "alternative" continues for the most part, with most bands that have a conception of what art is getting their start on indie labels and either making it huge (The Strokes) or forever playing on the college town circuit.
    I still think the 2000's has had better music overall than decades before, simply because there is that much more music out there from different parts of the world than before. The flipside to this is we're seeing the worst saturation in pretty much every "genre" (a word that's becoming increasingly vague) than ever before, quantitatively speaking.

It's also been a decade that (perhaps inevitably due to the huge media access breakthroughs as well as an ever expanding body of pop culture media) has had an obsession with decades past. The nostalgia industry in all its aspects, the countless reunions of bands from various decades, plumbing the depths of obscurity for film franchises, etc.

The relative novelty of internet self expression. I can see aspects that looking ridiculous in the next 10 years. Especially the way most people express themselves on uh, theirspace.

Or am I wasting my time pondering this stuff now?

"Alternative" music has been dead for years now, in the sense that it has been coopted by big media as soon as it hit the radio. I don't think that what we think of as "alternative" was ever NOT a big media phenomenon. It's alive in the same form, ie Nickelback (their new single sounds like a Tiffany song with hormone therapy), and Seether and various other catchy, homogenous, gravelly pap. The death of rock as far as I'm concerned is a marketing ploy that allows a guitar band to grace a magazine cover every few years under the headline "rock is back!" It's never ACTUALLY dead and you don't need to spend more than 2 days in any big city music bar to realize it. Rap had just as many bargain bin beats in the 90s, but yeah diverse subgenres are definitely a reality (whatever happened to hyphy?).

I don't think we're particularly unique in our obsession with decades past. "Retro" was a huge buzzword in the 90s, people were buying bellbottoms/flares/john lennon glasses/tie-dye at much greater rates than they are now.

The things we'll laugh at ourselves about, well, I think we were sort of laughing about it as we were doing it-- trucker hats come to mind.

I think narcissism is on the upswing, I don't think we've reached saturation w/reality tv, I think internet self-expression will become even more amplified and artificial as more people perfect taking pictures of themselves at flattering angles and presenting the ideal (and not real) version of themselves.

Analyzing a decade is a little bizarre and arbitrary because cultural phenomena don't move in 10 year intervals, as is me talking about things that "we" do but it's still fun.

matisyahu on
    i dont even like matisyahu and i dont know why i picked this username
  • RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I think iTunes, Rock Band, and Guitar Hero will be heralded as a complete paradigm shift in how people listened to music, much like vinyl -> CDs were....not only that, but it changed the way we quantified, categorized, and sought out new music forevermore.

Rent on
  • Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Bug eye sun glasses and turn of the century minimalism (have you been into an Apple store?)

\/\/\/\/\/\/ Obviously the post-2000 years will be seen as when music really changed and a lot of genres, like alternative, electronic, etc. really gained much from it and came into their own during these past few years.

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
  • PicardathonPicardathon Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    redx wrote: »
    4chan.

I don't really care if people look back at us in 50 years and laugh a little. A lot of it is pretty ridiculous, but a lot about how media is created and distributed is changing. More rapidly than it has in decades. They won't think too harshly of us.

But anthropologist hundreds of years from now are going to find 4chan. I can't sleep when I think about that.

wait, I though ironic t-shirts went out with the 90s, and people were only wearing them in a form of meta-irony.

I am actually thinking about becoming an anthropologist for just that reason. I could build a career off of that.

Picardathon on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    4chan.

I am actually thinking about becoming an anthropologist for just that reason. I could build a career off of that.
    How would you deal with shock images?

Couscous on
  • HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    metal gear has it right, all the minimalist industrial design will be remembered fairly well

We will be the age of tiny gadgets and big HDTVs

Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
    edited November 2008
    It's really never going to come to that. Beyond that fact that 4chan won't exist in I'd say under 5 years, and the fact that it really hasn't left a lasting impact on any culture besides those well-in-the-know of the internet will mean it will simmer away much like all those classic comedy BBS message boards we're still examining to this day

1385396-1.png
    heavy.gif
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    4chan.

We could set up a couple servers to just log the whole fucker.

Then fifty years from now when we're ready to retire "discover" them in our basement. Make grad students sift through all the shock images.

Edit: I seem to have answered Couscous's question with this post as well.

Quid on
    edited November 2008
    It's really never going to come to that. Beyond that fact that 4chan won't exist in I'd say under 5 years, and the fact that it really hasn't left a lasting impact on any culture besides those well-in-the-know of the internet will mean it will simmer away much like all those classic comedy BBS message boards we're still examining to this day

Assholes will still be rickrolling people hundreds of years into the future.

Couscous on
    edited November 2008
    Couscous wrote: »
    4chan.

How would you deal with shock images?

Shock images can be evidence of the fact that the place was a hyperconcentrated troll pit (at least /b/). I could then work off of what that means, and how that at least partially metastasized, and why this is important.
    I'm predicting the future here, but I think that there will be an extensive analysis of that slice of internet subculture, especially as it becomes more and more important (at the very least, the increasing importance of open source and the continuing march of internet media into the mainstream culture, which will allow 4chan to move close enough to the mainstream to at least be identified (and that's not even mentioning stuff like 4chan raids on second life & company, which will most likely become progressively more important over time themselves)).

Picardathon on
    edited November 2008

Rickrolling has already gone the way of shock images, something new is coming up no doubt
    I'm predicting the future here, but I think that there will be an extensive analysis of that slice of internet subculture, especially as it becomes more and more important (at the very least, the increasing importance of open source and the continuing march of internet media into the mainstream culture, which will allow 4chan to move close enough to the mainstream to at least be identified (and that's not even mentioning stuff like 4chan raids on second life & company, which will most likely become progressively more important over time themselves)).
    You're vastly overstating the importance of an anonymous picture board
    At best it may be seen as a small, fringe part of the web trend we're in right now. Things like social networking and web 2.0 are going to be the main topic in "future" discussions when discussing internet culture

1385396-1.png
    heavy.gif
    edited November 2008

Rickrolling has already gone the way of shock images, something new is coming up no doubt

Has rickrolling combined with lemon party and lolcats been done yet?

Couscous on
    edited November 2008

At best it may be seen as a small, fringe part of the web trend we're in right now. Things like social networking and web 2.0 are going to be the main topic in "future" discussions

People will troll these boards.
    Other people will wonder why this happens, and what are some extreme examples of this. 4chan is an excellent extreme example.

Picardathon on
    edited November 2008
    Other people will wonder why this happens, and what are some extreme examples of this. 4chan is an excellent extreme example.
    John Gabriel's Greater Internet Fuckwad Theory already explains it.

Couscous on
    edited November 2008

At best it may be seen as a small, fringe part of the web trend we're in right now. Things like social networking and web 2.0 are going to be the main topic in "future" discussions

But no one really cares about trolling, it doesn't really have that big of an effect. It's not going to be something that people look back on and go "Ah the early 2000s, where the internet culture was prevalent with passive aggressive attempts at inciting hateful or knee-jerk responses."
    Maybe at best it will be examined by some psychology student in his thesis paper.

1385396-1.png
    heavy.gif
  • EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Plus, in all seriousness, people will look back at this era and think about Bush, the two wars, econoic crises, Katrina, 9/11. It'll be enough for Billy Joeltron 5000 to start his career.

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The true and final death of singular, overarching aesthetic movements replaced by a cacophony of everything getting dredged up and reconsidered. You have the crazy deconstructivists making everything titanium and funky, a new polishing of mid-century minimalism, whatever the hell you'd call what Studio Gang is doing aside from awesome, and a whole bunch of other stuff that I could probably find the names for getting a second look if I really bothered to.

Also, this is when computing, the internet, and information technology started to truly evolve and be applied. The 90's was when it was growing and getting footholds into a lot of new doors, now it's inside and evolving. The 90's was the invention of the steam engine. Now we have paddle boats and locomotives.

moniker on
  • TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I'm really not looking forward to how future generations see us, though past generations have probably felt like that too. It's like someone once said, "The current era is always the best and the worst era ever".
    Reality TV, iEverything, the dumbing down of the media (especially cable news, but the media in general), rap, etc. It's both comforting and discouraging to realize that back in the 80s, some guy was probably sitting around complaining about how future generations were going to look at his era as all hair metal and everything being cheesy and over the top.

TubularLuggage on
  • MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The 00s or "Ohs" is like the retarded child of the 90s. I say we make like the romans, drown the tardling in the river and start over in the year 2010.

Meiz on
    edited November 2008
    I can't wait for it to turn 2010, just so I can say "twenty ten", like i'm from the future!

Godfather on
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I can't wait for it to turn 2010, just so I can say "twenty ten", like i'm from the future!

You don't like saying 'aught eight/nine?

moniker on
  • ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    moniker wrote: »

You don't like saying 'aught eight/nine?

I know somebody who has a bad habit of saying he's in the class of oh-twelve.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I think the future will look back and make fun of us for never being able to decide what to call this decade.

Zek on
    edited November 2008
    From the future!

Godfather on
  • wishdawishda Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I think the 00s are going to be looked at as one of those "what the fuck?" periods of American history. Kind of like the 80s, but without the kitsch value.

Our politics and media were moronic. Our fashion was nondescript, at best. Our best musicians and filmmakers seemed played out and there were so many up and comers that sort of blended into a fog. Make a top 10 list of the best movies, books, songs, fashion trends, gadgets, etc. from the 00s and compare it to similar lists for the past 50 years. It's been a weak decade culturally speaking.

The important things that happened in technology had their roots in the 90s and won't come to complete fruition until the next decade, at least. It started out with a bang - the 21st century has arrived! - and then sort of fizzled.

Like every decade, there's a lot of great stuff for people to rediscover and reassess, but I don't think we'll have 00 revivals every few years like we do with the 60s and 70s.

wishda on
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The unfortunate truth is that the 2000s were dominated by an inordinate amount of retro stylings. Meaning it will be remembered as the bastard child of Buck Rogers and Apple Computers Inc.

If it wasn't white, smooth and shiny it wasn't technology.

If it didn't have more buckles than neccessary or a tip of the hat to terrible 70s fashion, it wasn't clothes.

If it didn't look like some 1987 architectural student drew it with a sharpie and some watercolours it wasn't a car.

At least the 80s and 90s will be remembered, if only because of how bad they were. The 2000s are a nothing decade, no defining icons of fashion or design other than the ipod, which in itself is boring to look at.

The_Scarab on