As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Witcher from STEAM, to witch or not to witch...

GahazakulGahazakul regular
edited November 2008 in Games and Technology
So, I have a long time to kill tomorrow with my mother. My wife insists we go, my wife gets off work at 9 am and plans on sleeping after lunch till it is time to go back to work. That is six hours later.

Six hours.

With.

My.

Mother.

Any who, this is requiring me to bring my laptop for entertainment. That leads me to wanting something to play that I have not played before, and an RPG sounds like a hoot, well look at the Witcher, looks neat, a lot of people like it, based on some foreign literature. Blast, stores are closed. Ah wait, its on STEAM! Uh oh, sometimes the non Valve big titles act weird on STEAM. Hmmm...

So I put it to you, stalwart reader that has made it this far, is anyone a veteran Witcher player that got it off STEAM? Any good? Works right and proper?

Gahazakul on

• Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The Witcher is a FUN game, but half of the fun is reading the stories. I'd wait and just buy the special edition or whatever that was released, as it contains a copy of the creatively named first story EVER about Geralt: "The Witcher".

It's also good to hand around and say "Hey I'm playing a game based on this."

EDIT: I bought the special edition, but I was reading the stories before the game was even announced, so the game was just plain icing.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I need something now is my issue, was thinking of STEAMING the bad boy.

Gahazakul on
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I would say "wait", but your call.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The Witcher is a fantastic RPG, but you'll spend far more than 6 hours at it. For an instant fix, why not Steam Left 4 Dead?

Roshin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JohnDoeJohnDoe Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The Witcher is a brilliant RPG. I bought my copy in a box though. However, if you're worried about Steam messing it up its also available on Impulse Driven. As an added benefit, theres no DRM when you buy it from Impulse.

JohnDoe on
  • Options
    F-Zero_RacerF-Zero_Racer Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The Witcher is excellent, though it focuses more on the R rather than the P in RPG. If you like a fairly solid story in a pretty good setting, you'll like it.

F-Zero_Racer on
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I also recommend The Witcher.

Not only is it a great game, but there is the chance that your laptop will randomly blurt out some things about your mother and her relations with dwarves. And really, is that not what the holidays are all about?

Monger on
  • Options
    OneWingedOtakuOneWingedOtaku Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Its a great game imo, one of the first games I got when I finally upgraded my old Rig to modern gaming standards. Like everyone else is saying, I'd say it's well worth giving a go.

OneWingedOtaku on
    Gamertag:
    OneWingedOtaku.png
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    It's a fantastic game as everyone had said, but he's wondering if he should buy it over STEAM or not. Personally, I'd get the physical version of the Enhanced Edition. It's a fantastic and beautiful package that comes with so many goodies. It's the kind of item you'll probably leave on top of your desk to show off and look at.

If you really want an RPG to play for six hours, Sacred is only about 9.99 on Steam and is a lot of fun. Otherwise, nothing beats a good book. I recommend Alistair Reynold's Revelation Space series, Scott Lynch's The Lies of Locke Lamora, some Gene Wolfe, perhaps some Terry Pratchett for giggles, or even Chine Mieville's Perdido Street Station. :)

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    RBachRBach Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Dashui wrote: »
    If you really want an RPG to play for six hours, Sacred is only about 9.99 on Steam and is a lot of fun. Otherwise, nothing beats a good book. I recommend Alistair Reynold's Revelation Space series, Scott Lynch's The Lies of Locke Lamora, some Gene Wolfe, perhaps some Terry Pratchett for giggles, or even Chine Mieville's Perdido Street Station. :)

If he wants to opt for Sacred, he could get it on Gog for the same price (and without DRM): http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/sacred_gold/

RBach on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Would like to thank everyone, got Sacred and killed the time, going to get the Witcher after the "shopping rush" of Friday. Sacred did the job very well.

I'm really looking forward to the Witcher now, so many glowing recommendations.

Gahazakul on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Wow, the Witcher is looking sexy. Just killed the Frightener and watched Leo die (poor kid).

I forgot how much I missed RPGs.

Gahazakul on