As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Question about sound through my 360.

OrganichuOrganichu poopspeesRegistered User, Moderator mod
edited November 2008 in Games and Technology
(not sure if this should go here or the tech. subforum, but just in case the answer varies if we're talking consoles, I'm throwing it here)

I'm looking to get a monitor with 2 hdmi inputs, 1 VGA.

I'd like to connect my laptop over VGA, my 360 over one of the HDMI (I guess my other HDMI port will go unused unless I get another system). HDMI transmits sound and video, I'm aware of that. However I don't think the monitor has in-built speakers. Does this mean I'd need to plug in both my HDMI cable AND my official VGA cable (with a splitter on the audio feeds for a speaker)?

Is there any 'no extra cables' way of doing this?

Organichu on

• Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    There are two solutions. The easiest is to buy MS's official HDMI cable with an audio breakout. This is expensive.

The cheaper and hackier one is to break the plastic casing off the composite cable you got with the Xbox, and use the sound off that. You have to break the housing off or the HDMI cable won't fit in. Don't break your VGA cable because that's more valuable.

However, if your monitor has two HDMI inputs I'd assume it has speakers built-in. Check that before you go buying/breaking anything.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2008
    Willeth wrote: »
    There are two solutions. The easiest is to buy MS's official HDMI cable with an audio breakout. This is expensive.

The cheaper and hackier one is to break the plastic casing off the composite cable you got with the Xbox, and use the sound off that. You have to break the housing off or the HDMI cable won't fit in. Don't break your VGA cable because that's more valuable.

However, if your monitor has two HDMI inputs I'd assume it has speakers built-in. Check that before you go buying/breaking anything.

Thanks dude.

If my monitor has an audio out jack

(24-009-154-34.jpg)

can I just use that for speakers headphones?

Or are they on different channels or something?

It doesn't seem to have in-built speakers.

Organichu on
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Yeah, that audio out will work for speakers, but I doubt it will be as good quality as if you broke it out from the 360 itself. Your choice, though.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2008
    Ok thanks dude. Maybe I'll just go with a different monitor... it's just that I saw this one, 24", 1080p, 16:9, for $270 on sale. Got all psyched up for the price, but now I found out this sound issue, plus I'm hearing bad reviews about bleed out on the top and bottom of the panel during dark scenes. Sigh.

Organichu on