As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

One G&T Thread to Rule them All

Mr_SnuffleMr_Snuffle Registered User regular
I would like to see an end to this single thread for each topic trend in G&T. I was talking to mcc about it the other day, and he mentioned that the mods were trying to push it back to people making multiple threads about the one topic. It's all well and good that the mods are not going to stamp down on multiple threads anymore, but people are still scared to make multiple threads about the one topic. It's like we can't talk about different aspects of the one topic outside of the one thread without someone pointing towards an 'offical' thread. I understand that back in November the game industry was going crazy and we couldn't really make a hot topic for each of the big topics, but things have slowed down a lot now. I really think that if we do think a topic warrents an 'offical thread', it should just be made a hot topic.

I'd like to see an offical announcement that says yes, you we can make different threads for different aspects of the same topic, I'm tired of interesting news getting buried in a 50 page thread.

www.eightandahalfbit.com
Mr_Snuffle on

• ToastToast Registered User regular
    edited February 2005
    For the record, I've been saying this for about six months.

Toast on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited February 2005
    I don't really see how this will do any good. Instead of having easy to find threads on page one or two (in terms of recent discussion) people will have to start back tracking quite a bit. It would make things really cluttered. Granted, people could bookmark the threads they want to read, but that would be pretty out of the way and clutter up their bookmarks. I think this one thread per topic rule comes as an advantage to everyone. I've never seen anyone get flamed, for example, in a megaman thread when instead of talking about the nostalgic gameplay he talks about the music.

Henroid on
  • Mr_SnuffleMr_Snuffle Registered User regular
    edited February 2005
    Henroid wrote:
    I don't really see how this will do any good. Instead of having easy to find threads on page one or two (in terms of recent discussion) people will have to start back tracking quite a bit. It would make things really cluttered. Granted, people could bookmark the threads they want to read, but that would be pretty out of the way and clutter up their bookmarks. I think this one thread per topic rule comes as an advantage to everyone. I've never seen anyone get flamed, for example, in a megaman thread when instead of talking about the nostalgic gameplay he talks about the music.

except that you need to keep up with a fast thread to keep track of what's going on. If you're going to use that reason, why don't we just put all the conversation into the one thread? That's pretty easy to find. Heck, why don't we just abandon the forums all together and use IRC?

Information gets lost in those threads. I don't want to look through 60 pages of posts to try and find interesting information and discussion, which I can't bring up again anyway, because the official thread is talking about something else now

Mr_Snuffle on
    www.eightandahalfbit.com
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited February 2005
    Mr_Snuffle wrote:
    Henroid wrote:

except that you need to keep up with a fast thread to keep track of what's going on. If you're going to use that reason, why don't we just put all the conversation into the one thread? That's pretty easy to find. Heck, why don't we just abandon the forums all together and use IRC?

Information gets lost in those threads. I don't want to look through 60 pages of posts to try and find interesting information and discussion, which I can't bring up again anyway, because the official thread is talking about something else now
    Then there can be exceptions to hot topics. Not every thread moves a million miles per hour. World of Warcraft got its own section of the forum for this reason that you just addressed. I'm sure that if another topic as huge as it came about a new section could be made to address it. Granted, that would be up to Alpha and depends on how long/hard it takes/is to do so. The fastest moving threads in G&T are the chat thread and the Halo2 clan thread.

Henroid on
    edited February 2005
    I would propose this.

Keep the current system in place, but have a sticky or something that lists the current "hot topics," which would be threads for things that do move pretty damn fast. New game releases would be the best example. Aside from that though, G&T wouldn't need five threads covering Starcraft tactics or something.

Henroid on
  • PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2005
    Henroid wrote:
    I would propose this.

Keep the current system in place, but have a sticky or something that lists the current "hot topics," which would be threads for things that do move pretty damn fast. New game releases would be the best example. Aside from that though, G&T wouldn't need five threads covering Starcraft tactics or something.

I propose that you all stop complaining. That's far too much work.

Learn to deal with threads requiring valid purposes. If there's a thread about HL2 mods, then maybe a thread just for discussion of the story. Maybe that's too much. I don't know, nor do I really care. Take it up with your G&T mods on a case by case basis and if you dislike the answer you get, go cry in the corner or do whatever it is you do.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
    edited February 2005
    pheezer FD wrote:
    Take it up with your G&T mods on a case by case basis and if you dislike the answer you get, go cry in the corner or do whatever it is you do.
    I, personally, like to listen to Linkin Park at times like that.

Henroid on
    edited February 2005
    Henroid wrote:
    pheezer FD wrote:
    Take it up with your G&T mods on a case by case basis and if you dislike the answer you get, go cry in the corner or do whatever it is you do.
    I, personally, like to listen to Linkin Park at times like that.
    I would've pegged you for a Dashboard Confessional kind of girl.

Pheezer on
  • TalkingClayTalkingClay Registered User new member
    edited February 2005
    pheezer FD wrote:
    Learn to deal with threads requiring valid purposes. If there's a thread about HL2 mods, then maybe a thread just for discussion of the story. Maybe that's too much. I don't know, nor do I really care. Take it up with your G&T mods on a case by case basis and if you dislike the answer you get, go cry in the corner or do whatever it is you do.

The question is how broad does a a thread topic have to be. If someone makes a thread about any sort of DS new fors instance chances are a mod will get on his high horse and start whinging about needless threads. Apparently any new related to the system is supposed to go in one thread. The effect? Well the same news gets posted multiple times because since it's just incidental posts randomly in a very long thread it's difficult to search for. Then the mods start crying about repeated news posts. It's a very insane situation that seems almost exclusive to these boards.

TalkingClay on
    I'm a magic piece of talking clay.
    edited February 2005
    pheezer FD wrote:
    Henroid wrote:
    I would propose this.

I'm not sure if you tried to come across as a jerk in that post, but that is the impression I got.

All I would like to move away from this mentality people have of pointing things towards offical threads. A lot of people seem think that we can't have multiple threads about the one topic, which isn't the way I feel forums should work.

Sorry I brought up something that concerns me about the community.

Mr_Snuffle on
    www.eightandahalfbit.com
    edited February 2005
    The truth is, and this applies to what I've said as well, it all comes down to a mod's interpretation of the rule "one thread per topic." A topic could mean a games music or graphics, and not just the game itself.

I guess they are mods because Alpha/Deni trust their judgment.

Henroid on
    edited February 2005
    Mr_Snuffle wrote:
    pheezer FD wrote:
    Henroid wrote:
    I would propose this.

I'm not sure if you tried to come across as a jerk in that post, but that is the impression I got.

Actually, I was. And it was mostly in response to Hen's specific suggestion.

Your concerns make sense. But did you really expect a consensus to be obtained by making a thread here? Do you really think it's possible to arrive at a set protocol for this?

I think your concerns would be better pursued in direct conversation with the people responsible for those decisions.

Pheezer on
    edited February 2005
    pheezer FD wrote:
    Mr_Snuffle wrote:
    pheezer FD wrote:
    Henroid wrote:
    I would propose this.

Actually, I was. And it was mostly in response to Hen's specific suggestion.

Your concerns make sense. But did you really expect a consensus to be obtained by making a thread here? Do you really think it's possible to arrive at a set protocol for this?

I think your concerns would be better pursued in direct conversation with the people responsible for those decisions.

I had thought about doing that, but I felt I should leave the modding up to the mods, and bring my complaints to them.

I know there is no black and white "this deserves its own thread" and it really is on a case by case basis, but I feel there is something that can be done to push things along. I feel an anouncment that you aren't going to be as strict on multiple threads, and maybe jumping on people thatare jerks about "n00b! put it in the offical thread x!" might do that.

Mr_Snuffle on
    www.eightandahalfbit.com
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited February 2005
    The Cat wrote:
    Where are the G&T mods in all this, anyway?

Probably modding in G&T. ;)

Unknown User on
    edited February 2005
    The Cat wrote:

Probably masturbating & in tears. ;)

Pheezer on
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited February 2005
    pheezer FD wrote:
    The Cat wrote:

Probably masturbating & in tears. ;)

This from someone who apparently likes Jerkcity.

Your words mean nothing to me, Jerkcity-lover! Nothing!

Unknown User on
  • The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2005
    The Cat wrote:

Probably modding in G&T. ;)

what, can't they manage 2 things at once? weak

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2005
    The G&T mods never seem to be around when they are needed...what G&T needs is a fiesty guy who used to be a mod there that now mods Linksville...that would make the place so much better.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • mccmcc glitch Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2005
    Mr_Snuffle wrote:
    I was talking to mcc about it the other day, and he mentioned that the mods were trying to push it back to people making multiple threads about the one topic.
    It should be noted this was just observation on my part, not any kind of a actual representation of a specific position of the G&T mods. We don't have any big one topic threads at this point except the DS and PSP threads, and those are dying out-- they aren't really used for major news event discussion anymore, and they fall off the front page frequently...

mcc on
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited February 2005
    I really don't see a problem in there at all. If there is a redundant thread it gets locked. If you have an issue with your thread getting locked, most of the time a quick PM explaining your case fixes the problem.

deadonthestreet on
  • Nfinit VylenceNfinit Vylence Registered User regular
    edited February 2005
    I'd venture to say these big threads die out because it's simply impossible to read through those beasts to glean any useful information.

Nfinit Vylence on
    The world is so exquisite with so much love and moral depth, that there is no reason to deceive ourselves with pretty stories for which there's little good evidence. Far better it seems to me, in our vulnerability, is to look death in the eye and to be grateful every day for the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides. -- Carl Sagan

For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love. -- Also Carl Sagan
    edited February 2005
    jerkcity959.gif

o. rly??

Pheezer on
  • DioretsaDioretsa Registered User regular
    edited February 2005
    There are good things about it. I know on this other forum I read, on the night Half Life 2 was released there was a whole page full of Half Life 2 threads. But not here. I think it makes us look a little smarter, or more civilzed, or something.

Dioretsa on
  • DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited February 2005
    i think the fact that someone asked a minor simple question about the DS and was immediately told to go slog through the big all encompassing DS thread was pretty lame.

multiple threads should be allowed, people just have to use discretion when considering if they are valid or not.

topics which will soon die should NOT be a problem

Deusfaux on
    edited February 2005
    I think we should treat the DS and PSP threads like what they are-- chat threads. The only concern then is that specific "will die soon" threads not turn into general discussion threads themselves...

I do think it makes sense to continue to quarantine REALLY big releases to one discussion thread and one GAME ON thread when they occur, but if people are afraid to create new threads this is probably a problem.

mcc on
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2005
    The Cat wrote:
    (hint: use the sodding search function, plskthxsoverymuch)?

it's funny when people tell others to use a function of the forums that doesn't fucking work.

FyreWulff on
  • ÄlphämönkëyÄlphämönkëy Registered User regular
    edited February 2005
    FyreWulff wrote:
    The Cat wrote:

it's funny when people tell others to use a function of the forums that doesn't fucking work.
    Explain.

Älphämönkëy on
    edited February 2005
    FyreWulff wrote:
    The Cat wrote:

Explain.
    Well, as far as that goes, the search function doesn't work. It hasn't for several days.

Try it. No matter what you search for, anything, it says "no posts found that meet that criteria".

I assumed you knew ^_^;

mcc on
  • ÄlphämönkëyÄlphämönkëy Registered User regular
    edited February 2005
    mcc wrote:
    FyreWulff wrote:
    The Cat wrote:

Explain.
    Well, as far as that goes, the search function doesn't work. It hasn't for several days.

Try it. No matter what you search for, anything, it says "no posts found that meet that criteria".

I assumed you knew ^_^;
    Well shit. It's too late for me to work on tonight. I'm going to look at it in the morning. Until I get out of my addiction phase to WoW, if a thread isn't started in monkey den, I don't know about it. Also, I'm spending a lot of my time working on server things recently.

Älphämönkëy on
  • MrFisticuffsMrFisticuffs It's Easter, bitches. REJOICE. Registered User regular
    edited February 2005
    Search function works peachily for me, and has for the last couple of weeks

MrFisticuffs on
    edited February 2005
    For me "search for author" works but if I put anything at all in the "search for keywords" box ("resident evil", "nintendo", "sony") nothing is returned.

mcc on
  • OrthancOrthanc Death Lite, Only 1 Calorie Off the end of the internet, just turn left.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2005
    mcc wrote:
    For me "search for author" works but if I put anything at all in the "search for keywords" box ("resident evil", "nintendo", "sony") nothing is returned.

I beg to differ.

Classics Ho

I suspec that nintendo and sony are sufficiently common that they have been added to the ignored words list.

Too many fanboys

Orthanc on
    orthanc
  • ToastToast Registered User regular
    edited February 2005
    What is needed is basically a rules clarification so that it reads something like "no duplicate discussions". Where having multiple threads is dumb is where you end up having the same argument with the same people in two different threads simultaneously, because it's just a) pointless and b) repetitive. General topic threads should be for rambling discussion and minor tidbits, and frankly the "omg official topic fool" should only apply where the information in the new thread isn't in the first post of the official thread, because no-one wants to read 60 pages before posting. I'd like to keep up with HL2 news, but I can't because it's all in that ridiculous HL2 thread which I don't have time to read.
    The reason this won't work as just an informal chat with a few mods is that the people doing the "official thread!!!" posts atm are actually backed up by the actual rules, the actions of most of the mods and the general unwritten laws of G&T. The only way to change it properly will be a rules change and some way of bringing this to the attention of everyone.
    And anyone suggesting that topics like the DS need a Hot Topic doesn't understand how forums work.

Toast on
    edited February 2005
    OK...

I should probably say that I do not think it makes sense to unify or consider as unified the dupe threads policies for G&T and D&D. We talk about different kinds of things and the circumstances under which the One Big Thread phenomenon occurs are very different.

mcc on
    edited February 2005
    Orthanc wrote:

"duke nukem" works.

"duke" DOESN'T.

i just typed in "tolkien" and that worked. that's the only search i've done in like a week that was successful. regardless "lord of the rings" doesn't return any hits.

mcc on
    edited February 2005
    mcc wrote:
    OK...

I should probably say that I do not think it makes sense to unify the dupe threads policies for G&T and D&D. We talk about different kinds of things and the circumstances under which the One Big Thread phenomenon occurs are very different.

Given that both forums are very different and have very different rules charters, I think this would be a wise move.

Pheezer on
  • apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2005
    It's very simple.

Subjects should be confined to single threads at the discretion of the mods. There are many times when multiple threads are perfectly valid, ie.

- Half Life 2 Single Player Campaign
    - Half Life 2 Game On
    - Half Life 2 Mods

Cramming all these subjects into one thread just makes that one thread sucks balls.

Recently there was 2 Blockland threads - one was a Game On and the other I didn't really get and seemed to be kind of a Blockland in-joke. I'm not entirely certain, but I don't think we needed both.

The problem then becomes one of users knowing what to do with threads suspected of being duplications. If we leave the door open ambiguously, people will be "OMG GO POST HERE/NO U FAGGOT THIS THREAD IS OK FOR (insert nuanced explaination here)/I DUNT THINK SO COCKMAGGOT U SUK/O YA? U EAT POO"

Unless we can get Mod on around the clock - which I don't think we can ever do - this will always be a concern.

So how about:
    - One thread per subject without prior mod approval.

?

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
    edited February 2005
    apotheos wrote:
    Unless we can get Mod on around the clock - which I don't think we can ever do - this will always be a concern.
    Just an off handed comment on that - things seemed to work that way before 90X got his soul stolen by WoW. :P

Henroid on
  • MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2005
    -=sigh=-
    wtf people.

MulysaSempronius on
    If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited February 2005
    -=sigh=-
    wtf people.

its because you defended my purposes to some degree in the other one. lambasted by association

Deusfaux on