As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Town threatens to evict disabled boy’s pony

surefire1982surefire1982 Registered User regular
edited November 2008 in Debate and/or Discourse
I'm posting this today, since I saw this today on the National Post (Canadian newspaper), and figured with Child's Play going on, this would be a good place to get people mobilized into helping.

This story just boggles my mind...

short version:
The town of Caledon is threatening to take away a disabled boy's pony, because the property he lives on is too small to support it. The boy has spastic quadriplegic cerebral palsy which was diagnosed at birth, and can't walk or crawl. The pony was given to him by his grandfather (whom the boy and his single mother live with), and is one of the few things that makes him really happy. To top it off, the town council said she could appeal the decision, at the cost of $800 to appear before the committee, and an additional $345 to circulate the application...

Laxity spawns a lifetime of heresy. Never forgive, never forget.
PSN: surefire1982
surefire1982 on

• Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    reading the part about it being part of the boy's therapy regime, can't they bring his doctor in to testify as to the boy's need for the pony?

also what on earth, why does she have to pay that much money to appear before city council?

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    surefire1982surefire1982 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Lanz wrote: »
    also what on earth, why does she have to pay that much money to appear before city council?

apparently, that's what it costs to get an appeal with the city council? Maybe that's the cost of their time? I dunno...it just seems very heartless to me.

surefire1982 on
    Laxity spawns a lifetime of heresy. Never forgive, never forget.
    PSN: surefire1982
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    They probably didn't even know about the kid, as the complainants would be sure to omit that fact. Hopefully the council will backtrack like mad, waive the appeal fee, and make an exception.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Lanz wrote: »

apparently, that's what it costs to get an appeal with the city council? Maybe that's the cost of their time? I dunno...it just seems very heartless to me.

Hell they get paid by tax payers money. It's what they exist for.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I love how this is like the least holiday-centric thing you can do.

"What shall we do on this fine winter season?"
    "Let's take a disabled child's beloved animal away!"
    "Excellent. Yes! MUWAHAHAHAHAHA"

There is something so... Christmas special about it.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    This is not the place to spam people's e-mail addresses from.

Thanatos on
This discussion has been closed.