As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Building a computer tomorrow for $750 (plz help)

Macz0rMacz0r Registered User new member
Long time PA reader but this is my first post!!

My roommate wants me to build him a computer for $750. He already has a 120gig hd, mouse and keyboard but I need to get everything else. Here is what I am thinking any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz: $160

EVGA GeForce GTX 260 896MB & Case combo: $260

OCZ Fatal1ty Edition 4GB 1066 (2 x 2GB): $42

Thermaltake Purepower 500W: $15

Samsung DVD: $20

Dell 22" Widescreen: $199 (After Coupon)

GIGABYTE Motherboard: $80

Total: $776

That is the best I could come up with and that is as far as I can push my roommate when it comes to price. So what do you guys think?

Thanks in advance & Happy Thanksgiving

Macz0r on

• DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Go with the e7200; it's still 45nm, so it'll overclock just about as high as the e8400 will and it costs significantly less.

Daedalus on
  • PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Daedalus wrote: »
    Go with the e7200; it's still 45nm, so it'll overclock just about as high as the e8400 will and it costs significantly less.

And then use that money you saved to buy a real power supply, because that ThermalTake will shit itself inside out if you ask it to power a GTX260.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Burtletoy on
  • AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    120 GB will last you about five minutes, less if you use the internet

Azio on
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Newegg's got a ridiculously huge 1.5TB hard drive on sale for $120 this weekend.

That's probably too expensive, but you should be able to get a 640GB drive relatively cheap, too.

Daedalus on
  • EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I second the idea of going with an e7200 and changing the HD to a 640gb (it's the sweet spot for price/performance/reliability right now.) At least if you're already planning to OC. If you aren't OCing, stick with the 8400.

For me at least clicking on the mb/case/video combo gets an error instead of showing what's in it and, most importantly, what type of motherboard you've got. Picking a good motherboard is immensely important, remember. ESPECIALLY if you're OCing.

Ego on
    Erik