As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

DVDs in Vista, what's up with that

LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
So I've got this media center PC thinger hooked up to my TV, and I'm dual-booting XP Pro and Vista Ultimate. XP wouldn't play DVDs, so I threw CCCP on there and use Media Player Classic to play DVDs. That's not a problem.

But I want to use Vista's epic Media Center app, and that's working fine for everything but DVDs. Vista just won't play DVDs in any program at all. Media Center and WMP suggest I lower my screen resolution, which is retarded, and also doesn't help. I have, of course, tried installing CCCP, and then K-Lite, nothing seems to help.
When I try using Media Player Classic to play a DVD in Vista I get a "DVD: Copy- Protect Fail" error.

Help a brother out PA.

LaCabra on

• Options
    Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    First off you want to get rid of K-Lite. Use a free program like Revo Uninstaller to remove everything. CCCP with the extensions registered with WMP11 is the way to go.

To get rid of the copy protections the free and simple way is to install DVD43.

Dark Shroud on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I resorted to K-Lite because CCCP with extensions registered wasn't working. I'll look into the DVD43 thing though.

LaCabra on
  • Options
    stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Is it possible it is bitching because your tv's hdmi isn't drm compatible with the final version in Vista?

stigweard on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    My TV lacks HDMI, I'm going through s-video.

LaCabra on
  • Options
    MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Vista was built to mimic any commercial media player and won't allow protected content (like any DVD) to be used without hardware the content providers have approved of. Sounds like that's what you might be hitting.

I would imagine there are ways past it, just as there are ways to play DVDs in XP or Linux (which are similarly unprotected paths, by my meagre understanding).

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Morskittar wrote: »
    Vista was built to mimic any commercial media player and won't allow protected content (like any DVD) to be used without hardware the content providers have approved of. Sounds like that's what you might be hitting.

I would imagine there are ways past it, just as there are ways to play DVDs in XP or Linux (which are similarly unprotected paths, by my meagre understanding).

That's a stretch. It's simply a matter of the video card being HDCP compliant. XP Media Center Edition had problems with some of the newer more evil DVD DRM. It was hit or miss to the point that I just got used to running AnyDVD. When I upgraded to Vista at launch I also bought a new HDCP compliant video card. I'm still using an non complaint monitor so I still use AnyDVD. Unless I purchase an HD Fury dongle to filter out HDCP.

Dark Shroud on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    So I uninstalled Klite and reinstalled CCCP registering extensions and turned on some shit in the settings related to WMP and MC and now it at least tries to play the DVDs. Then Vista shits itself three seconds in and says "the video drivers crashed and have been rebooted" or whatever. That, however, is my fault: see, the card I'm using is an FX5200 (I know it's shit but it runs Aero and Media Center fine) and Nvidia's drivers for the FX series for Vista do not support s-video at all and do not have the Nvidia control panel.

So after an hour or so of googling and fucking around with various drivers I read some dude on guru3d suggesting these drivers which I think are for the 8 series or something, but the .infs have been fucked around with to let it work on an FX5200. Boom, Vista with Aero and Media Center and just completely super performance - except that apparently they kill themselves when confronted with a DVD.

Fuck.

LaCabra on
  • Options
    lilBlilB Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Isn't Vista great?

You can always use VLC Media Player which bypasses all the DVD security garbage, but I don't think it integrates with media center.

lilB on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Vista is not the problem, Nvidia are the fucking problem.

LaCabra on
  • Options
    MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I dunno... if Microsoft had refused the media consortiums and content owners, who would have hurt more? Would consumers have turned to pirating or just avoided using Windows for watching DVDs? I'd love to see tech companies stand up to content owners about this stuff more (such as we've seen with MP3s on Zune or iTunes).

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    In this particular scenario, though, Microsoft are irrelevant and it's Nvidia who have decided never to update their Vista drivers for the FX series.

LaCabra on