As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Recommendation Thread

CentipeedCentipeed Registered User regular
edited December 2008 in Games and Technology
Recommend.jpgRecommendI.jpg

I decided that since it's coming up to Christmas, people are looking to buy games, or have games bought for them by suckers. There might also be cases where people have a type of game in mind, but not an exact title.

Since we often have threads asking for recommendations in particular genres, it is probably also a better idea to have one recommendation thread that people can resort to.

So get started, homps.

Personally, I'd like a game similar to the PS2 Gundam games, or Gotcha Force: Fast paced arena fighting games with awesome flashy laser shit, crazy powerful attacks and flying. I mean, it doesn't have to be robots, but I'm not looking for a sword fighting game.

I own a Gamecube, PS2 and a Wii, so anything that fits the bill on those systems would be tip top.

Edit: Please note that this isn't a general recommendation thread. This is only for people who want a certain type of game and need recommendations as to what title to get. If you haven't been asked to provide recommendations, don't provide them. Lists of games for no-one in particular shouldn't be posted.

Centipeed on

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Since I am a huge Wii and DS fan, and they are my most played systems, I'll give a few recommendations for those.

DS:

Chrono Trigger DS
    Pokemon Ranger: Shadows of Almia
    Sonic Rush
    Sonic Rush Adventure
    Kirby Super Star Ultra
    Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia

Wii:

De Blob
    Boom Blox
    Mushroom Men

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Recommendation :

If you like zombie games, or FPS games that focus on Co-Op

LEFT 4 DEAD!

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    To be honest I don't know of anything (apart from say, ZOE 2) that matches what you're looking for. But I do know some good games on the current gen and the PS2. So if this is indeed a general recommendation thread, here's mine. There's a lot.

Current Gen
    936034_80875.jpg
    Siren: Blood Curse

938148_114243.jpg
    WipEout HD

928393_67456.jpg _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ 943354_96218.jpg
    Motorstorm and Motorstorm Pacific Rift

926596_63080.jpg
    Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots

932369_74248.jpg _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ 950926_111335.jpg
    Ratchet & Clank Future : Tools of Destruction and Quest for Booty

932984_75525.jpg
    Uncharted: Drake's Fortune

928383_67446.jpg
    Warhawk

942165_99991.jpg
    Valkyria Chronicles

942139_100058.jpg
    Disgaea 3: Absence of Justice

928399_67462.jpg _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ 944521_98861.jpg
    Resistance: Fall of Man and Resistance 2

938583_101383.jpg
    Little Big Planet

939932_89317.jpg
    Fallout 3

939213_86929.jpg
    Call of Duty 4

934384_77850.jpg
    The Orange Box

933036_75598.jpg
    Grand Theft Auto IV

945075_99976.jpg
    Tales of Vesperia

931330_103228.jpg
    Bioshock

928234_67282.jpg _ _ _ _ _ _ _ 938611_85533.jpg
    Gears of War and Gears of War 2

937423_83147.jpg
    Virtua Fighter 5 (ver. C)

Disclaimer:
    I'm not trying to say those are the only decent exclusives the 360 has, they're just the ones that come to mind that I would look forward to if I had a 360.

PS2
    Some of these may be harder than others to track down in the Real World. Of course, everything's just a click away online (for the right price).
    561646.jpg
    Beyond Good & Evil (GC & PS2)

563568.jpg
    Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution

934025_77259.jpg
    Tomb Raider: Anniversary

925156_60500.jpg
    Resident Evil 4 (GC & PS2)

915022.jpg
    Fatal Frame II: Crimson Butterfly

silenthill2_boxshot.jpg
    Silent Hill 2

471040.jpg _ _ _ _ _ _ _ 919027.jpg
    Tenchu: Wrath of Heaven and Tenchu: Fatal Shadows

925675_61481.jpg
    Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction (GC & PS2)

922364_57785.jpg
    GUN (GC & PS2)

920500_54203.jpg
    Okami

932558_74690.jpg
    God Hand

367472_43672.jpg _ _ _ _ _ _ _ 924364_58450.jpg
    ICO and Shadow of the Colossus

936463_81618.jpg
    Odin Sphere

582958_59986.jpg
    Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne

937269_99998.jpg _ _ _ _ _ _ _ 945498_107557.jpg
    Shin Megami Tensei : Persona 3 Fes and SMT : Persona 4

slycooper_boxshot.jpg _ _ _ _ _ _ _ 919949.jpg _ _ _ _ _ _ _ 927168_65867.jpg
    Sly Cooper and the Thevius Raccoonus, Sly 2: Band of Thieves and Sly 3: Honor Among Thieves

919864_61710.jpg _ _ _ _ _ _ _ 932295_74094.jpg
    God of War and God of War 2

938582_85474.jpg
    (Trilogy pack only in EU)
    589718.jpg _ _ _ _ _ _ _ 919986.jpg _ _ _ _ _ _ _ 926985_63665.jpg
    Prince of Persia: Sands of Time, Prince of Persia: Warrior Within and Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones (all GC & PS2)

445101_80665.jpg
    "5th Anniversary Collection"
    dmc_boxshot.jpg _ _ _ _ _ _ _ 930014_72475.jpg
    Devil May Cry and Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition

561107_52770.jpg _ _ _ _ _ _ _ 914659.jpg _ _ _ _ _ _ _ 919902.jpg
    Ratchet & Clank, Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando and Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal

944753_99404.jpg
    "The Essential Collection"
    197909_106140.jpg _ _ _ _ _ _ _ 561508.jpg _ _ _ _ _ _ _ 928437_67505.jpg
    Metal Gear Solid, Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance and Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence

936460_81614.jpg
    "The Trilogy"
    gta3_boxshot.jpg _ _ _ _ _ _ _ 561545.jpg _ _ _ _ _ _ _ 914983_58437.jpg
    Grand Theft Auto III, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City and Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas

941428_91412.jpg
    "Hitman Trilogy"
    ps2hit_box.jpg _ _ _ _ _ _ _ 917986_51980.jpg _ _ _ _ _ _ _ 919983_67897.jpg
    Hitman 2: Silent Assassin, Hitman: Contracts and Hitman: Blood Money

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    To the OP I'd recommend the Zone of the Enders series.

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Aumni wrote: »
    To the OP I'd recommend the Zone of the Enders series.

ZOE 1 gets boring after you beat it the first time...but ZOE 2 is pure awesome in a ham sandwich. :^:

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Considering a PS3 after Christmas when the sales hit. Basically, what good PS3 exclusives are there beyond the big names like MGS4, LBP, etc? I have a 360 already, with a lot of action games, shooters, super hero games, etc.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    There we go. A shitton of excellent past and current gen titles (see my edited post above). If you have no idea what some of those are and need me to actually write comments for 'em... well I suppose I can. But not unless I have to lolz.

Chance on
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Chance, you recommended Blood Curse but not the original Siren or Siren 2?

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Gilder wrote: »
    Chance, you recommended Blood Curse but not the original Siren or Siren 2?

If I lived in the UK and had played it (or had a haxxored PS2) I would very likely recommend Siren 2. If I hated people and wished hours of headache and pain upon them, I would gladly recommend Siren 1. Siren 1 has brilliant ideas, decent controls, excellent *sound direction, writing, plot and sound (apart from the English VO), but it is so hard it stops being challenging, takes the No.9 Bus fifteen blocks past Fun Street and kicks you off in Hobo Alley where you get anally raped by... what was that quote? "Every rifle-wielding malcontent in Japan".

One day, walkthrough at my side, I'll finish Siren 1, but I've got enough of a backlog of fun games 'till then.

Edit: *wrote voice instead of sound. The English voice work is an abortion. The sound design and music are top-notch.

Chance on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Since it's winter i've been playing a lot of SSX3. I'd recommend that but i'm pretty sure it's next to impossible to find in stores.

Godfather on
  • Options
    ChopperDaveChopperDave Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I guess I'll add this: can you guys recommend any under-the-radar classics, i.e. the sort of games I won't pick up on by sorting through the top-ranked of 2008 in Amazon/Metacritic? Recommendations of must haves are also, of course, appreciated.

As a busy college senior, I haven't had a whole lot of time for video games between thesis writing, seminar taking, extracurricular participating, election canvasing, job searching, social lifing, etc, but I can foresee having a little more time to myself in January. I really want to catch some of the titles I may have missed over the semester, and maybe get into a longer-term commitment of an RPG or something (as opposed to the pick-up-and-play Wiiwares and Rock Band songs that have sustained me through the year). I have a Wii, DS, PS2, and Mac Powerbook (:|) myself, though I imagine there are others with similar requests on other systems.

So far I'm looking at potentially getting:

DS-
    Rune Factory 2
    Dragon Quest IV
    Contra IV
    Geometry Wars Galaxies

Wii-
    de Blob
    Wario Land: Shake It!
    Megaman 9

MacBook-
    Penny Arcade Adventures

I did pick up World of Goo and Castlevania: OoE this last month, so no need to recommend those :P. I haven't gotten FF4 and Chrono Trigger, but I figure I can wait til those prices drop since I've played their previous iterations already - and besides, I don't need to overload on RPGs when I don't have that much time to play them. Choices, choices...

ChopperDave on
    3DS code: 3007-8077-4055
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Mention of DS games, but not TWEWY.

This is a bad post. The World Ends With You is the bestest DS game.

Peewi on
  • Options
    ScottyScotty Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Nice!

I jump into the forum just now to see if there'd be any help for me in deciding what game to get this Christmas. (In-laws are gonna buy me one, along with some stuff)

Lo and Behold! A thread made exactly for my dilemma.:)

I own these systems...
    GC
    PS2
    PS3
    DS Lite

I initially thought Mirror's Edge, but not sure if I should wait on that one or not. (not sure which system to get it for anyhow)

I know there's Resistance 2, and I have yet to play Drake's Fortune, and of course there's Motorstorm Pacific Rift. I loved Oblivion on the 360, and am considering FALLOUT 3 because of that...am I right in thinking this?

I own MGS4, Gears 2 and Dead Space.

I dunno what to do...and time is shortening. Advice?

Scotty on
  • Options
    Toxin01Toxin01 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    PC:
    Farcry 2
    Fallout 3
    Left 4 Dead
    Orange Box
    Prince Of Persia: the newest one (Forgot the subtitle)
    Assassin's Creed
    Dead Space

??

Toxin01 on
    Aiden Baail: Level 1 Swordmage: 19 AC 14 Fort 15 Ref 13 Will (Curse Of The Black Pearls)
    GM: Rusty Chains (DH Ongoing)
  • Options
    JubehJubeh Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Guys, I'm looking for something similar to Way of the Samurai 2. Keeping in mind I can't play the new one.

Got a 360, PS2, and a Wii.

Jubeh on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    De Blob is essential for proof that a third party can do a Nintendo quality title.

Wario Land: Shake It! is fun, although short...I would rent.

Mega Man 9 is a must.

The Strong Bad series are fantastic if you're into p&c adventure games.

Mushroom Men for the Wii, which is out Tuesday looks like a fantastic adventure/action title, and has gotten some really positive buzz from websites.

Geometry Wars for the Wii is also great and has connectivity to the DS version, both are worth owning.

The World Ends With You for the DS is a great, original RPG that proves that Square can still do great RPGs that don't start with Final and end in Fantasy.

Endless Ocean is a great original diving sim that is fun, relaxing, and educational.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Jubeh wrote: »
    Guys, I'm looking for something similar to Way of the Samurai 2. Keeping in mind I can't play the new one.

I know I recommend this for everything, but: Samurai Western?
    Considering a PS3 after Christmas when the sales hit. Basically, what good PS3 exclusives are there beyond the big names like MGS4, LBP, etc? I have a 360 already, with a lot of action games, shooters, super hero games, etc.

No one's said it yet, so: Disgaea 3.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Scotty wrote: »
    Nice!

I jump into the forum just now to see if there'd be any help for me in deciding what game to get this Christmas. (In-laws are gonna buy me one, along with some stuff)

I own these systems...
    GC
    PS2
    PS3
    DS Lite

I initially thought Mirror's Edge, but not sure if I should wait on that one or not. (not sure which system to get it for anyhow)

I know there's Resistance 2, and I have yet to play Drake's Fortune, and of course there's Motorstorm Pacific Rift. I loved Oblivion on the 360, and am considering FALLOUT 3 because of that...am I right in thinking this?

The consensus I got on Mirror's Edge was to rent it first and see if it's worth a purchase. The story mode is very short and if you're not into time trials there's not much replay value.

I'm waiting for my copy to come in from GameFly, personally.

freakish light on
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008

VALKYRIA CHRONICLES
    Nice!

I own these systems...
    GC
    PS2
    PS3
    DS Lite

Rent wrote:
    VALKYRIA CHRONICLES

Rent on
  • Options
    variantvariant Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Nice!

Mirror's Edge is a rental, at best.
    Motorstorm games get old quick.
    Fallout 3 is the same as Oblivion mechanics wise except with guns and setting. Also, the ending makes you want to punch babies.
    So Resistance it is!

variant on
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I wouldn't write Fallout 3 off that quickly. It stumbles on presentation and the ending, but it's hella compelling. There's a good 40 or 50 hours just wandering around exploring.

freakish light on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    cj iwakura wrote: »

Yeah I will get that.

It doesn't really have to be about Samurais. Just that style of game, though it's kind of hard to pinpoint.

Jubeh on
  • Options
    Ramen NoodleRamen Noodle whoa, god has a picture of me! Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I didn't even find the ending to Fallout as terrible as anyone said it was.

Ramen Noodle on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    cj iwakura wrote: »

Yeah I will get that.

It doesn't really have to be about Samurais. Just that style of game, though it's kind of hard to pinpoint.

They were made by the same team, so that's probably as close as you're going to get.
    Wiki wrote:
    Although it was not particularly emphasized either in the game's marketing or in the game itself, Samurai Western is actually a "gaiden" (side-story) entry in the Way of the Samurai series.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Aight. Thanks dood.

Jubeh on
  • Options
    gijohn13gijohn13 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Its going to be my birthday next tuesday and was planning on going on a shopping spree and I recently got a new power house of a desktop and until I got it, I had been missing out on all the kick-arse titles it had to offer over the last 5 years due to possesion of shitty computer. So I was just wondering anything if anyone could recommend not just recent titles but any of the older titles i had been missing out on over the years?

I had been thinking about getting oblivion IV but then I heard from yahtzee that Fallout 3 is basically the same but just way better.

I'm kinda dissappointed with the lack of killer titles for the wii this christmas. I've been thinking about getting warioland and possibly mario kart wii(Although I'm thinking it'll be just more of the same) or could i do better.

Also speaking as someone whose never even touched a castlevania title, any recommendations for ds?

gijohn13 on
    Brawl code 1118-1722-8514
    3ds code: 1779 0686 9264
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Morrowind and a bunch of mods. Fallout is great. Orange Box (Portal if you're not much into shooters), Left 4 Dead, Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines: Colons, Fallout 1 & 2 are on www.GOG.com, Civ 4, maybe some Tomb Raider games...

Preferred genres would narrow it down some.

freakish light on
  • Options
    gijohn13gijohn13 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Already got orange box(One of the best purchases I ever made), sims 2 and battlefield 2

Genres

strategy games, not too keen on command & conquer games, Loved total annilation to death and I'm dissapointed there being no sequels to it, so maybe something similiar to that one?

First person shooters and third person platformers I can dig

gijohn13 on
    Brawl code 1118-1722-8514
    3ds code: 1779 0686 9264
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Sins of a Solar Empire.

Oh, and Prince of Persia.

Actually, if you're in the US you should try out GameTap, the first month is $1 and there's a bunch of games I can think of you'd enjoy - Civilization, Tomb Raider Legend & Anniversary, Prince of Persia I II & III, and so on.

freakish light on
  • Options
    FaffelFaffel Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    gijohn13 wrote: »
    Already got orange box(One of the best purchases I ever made), sims 2 and battlefield 2

Genres

strategy games, not too keen on command & conquer games, Loved total annilation to death and I'm dissapointed there being no sequels to it, so maybe something similiar to that one?

First person shooters and third person platformers I can dig

Supreme Commander was made by many people who did TA.

Faffel on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Ramen NoodleRamen Noodle whoa, god has a picture of me! Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Fallout 3. Just get it. Seriously.

Ramen Noodle on
  • Options
    CentipeedCentipeed Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    HOLD THE FUCK ON.

Maybe the language in the OP was slightly ambiguous, but I made this thread so that people could tell other people what kind of game they wanted and then get recommendations based on those requirements. I wasn't asking people to list all the good games they can think of. That doesn't really help anyone, and it's also basically a poll thread. Poll threads suck.

I'm adding this to the OP.

Centipeed on
  • Options
    ScottyScotty Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Nice!

I own these systems...
    GC
    PS2
    PS3
    DS Lite

The consensus I got on Mirror's Edge was to rent it first and see if it's worth a purchase. The story mode is very short and if you're not into time trials there's not much replay value.

Ok, so Mirror's Edge is definitely one to wait for. (not much of a time trial guy)

Fallout 3 is definitely one I'm considering because I really enjoyed the exploration side of OBLIVION. (Of course I really enjoyed the whole medieval era theme though) Fallout 3 obviously doesn't have that going for it for me. Still riding the fence.

I'm getting a lot of Valkyria Chronicles plugs...I tried the demo, but wasn't too sure about it. (I know, I know...sorry)

I'm still needing some advice here...I really like long games with lots of exploration, and I'm a bit of a graphic whore. FPS are ok, and I like me some action adventure.

To make it simple, I like to feel as though I'm playing a movie pretty much.:P

Scotty on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Ok, so, I'm running out of DS games to get.
    I've ordered Order of Ecclesia and Chrono Trigger.
    I already have my eye on Rune Factory 2
    I own:
    All the Ace Attorney games
    Professor Layton
    Hotel Dusk
    Etrian Odyssey 2
    TWEWY
    Final Fantasy IV
    Dragon Quest IV
    Rocket Slime
    NSMB
    Phantom Hourglass
    Tingle's Rupeeland
    Castlevania: PoR
    Tony Hawk's Proving Ground
    FFCC: Ring of Fates
    Mario Kart DS
    Advance Wars Dual Strike
    Space Invaders Extreme
    Bangai-O
    Sonic Rush Adventure
    Drill Spirits
    Kirby Power Paintbrush

I'm uninterested in music games on grounds of being bad at them. What else am I missing?

Xagarath on
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Nice!

I own these systems...
    GC
    PS2
    PS3
    DS Lite

Ok, so Mirror's Edge is definitely one to wait for. (not much of a time trial guy)

Fallout 3 is definitely one I'm considering because I really enjoyed the exploration side of OBLIVION. (Of course I really enjoyed the whole medieval era theme though) Fallout 3 obviously doesn't have that going for it for me. Still riding the fence.

I'm getting a lot of Valkyria Chronicles plugs...I tried the demo, but wasn't too sure about it. (I know, I know...sorry)

I'm still needing some advice here...I really like long games with lots of exploration, and I'm a bit of a graphic whore. FPS are ok, and I like me some action adventure.

To make it simple, I like to feel as though I'm playing a movie pretty much.:P

Do you like classic survival horror? I see that you have (and presumably like) dead space, though that isn't really survival horror.

If you do I can really recommend Siren: Blood Curse right now. It feels alot like playing an episodic TV show too, which I guess is kinda like playing a movie!

Plus it's deliciously cheap.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    DualEdgeDualEdge Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Nice!

I own these systems...
    GC
    PS2
    PS3
    DS Lite

Do you like lots of giant enemies? Do you like explosions? Do you like killing lots of giant enemies with explosions? Then you need Earth Defense Force 2017. The only game I've seen where leveling a city to kill an ant is not only possible, but recommended.

Best Black Friday purchase I ever made.

DualEdge on
  • Options
    RichardTauberRichardTauber Kvlt Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Can anyone guide me through the different GTA games for the ps2? There's an awful lot of them and I'm left wondering which are worth buying. I'm thinking of Vice City Stories or the original GTA 3, but feel free to correct the errors of my way.

RichardTauber on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Xagarath wrote: »
    Ok, so, I'm running out of DS games to get.
    I've ordered Order of Ecclesia and Chrono Trigger.
    I already have my eye on Rune Factory 2
    I own:
    All the Ace Attorney games
    Professor Layton
    Hotel Dusk
    Etrian Odyssey 2
    TWEWY
    Final Fantasy IV
    Dragon Quest IV
    Rocket Slime
    NSMB
    Phantom Hourglass
    Tingle's Rupeeland
    Castlevania: PoR
    Tony Hawk's Proving Ground
    FFCC: Ring of Fates
    Mario Kart DS
    Advance Wars Dual Strike
    Space Invaders Extreme
    Bangai-O
    Sonic Rush Adventure
    Drill Spirits
    Kirby Power Paintbrush

I'm uninterested in music games on grounds of being bad at them. What else am I missing?

Etrian Odyssey 1? I like the characters in it more than EO2's for what that's worth. Also, more epic stratums/music.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    GrudgeGrudge blessed is the mind too small for doubtRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    gijohn13 wrote: »
    So I was just wondering anything if anyone could recommend not just recent titles but any of the older titles i had been missing out on over the years?

List of awesome PC games of the past few years that shouldn't be missed (in order of awesomeness):

FPS:

F.E.A.R.
    S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Condemned: Criminal Origins
    TRON 2.0
    Far Cry

RTS:

Company of Heroes
    World in Conflict
    Dawn of War

Strategy:

Civilization IV
    Rome: Total War

And I did enjoy Oblivion a lot, despite all it's flaws, probably spent 150+ hours on different characters.

Grudge on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Can anyone guide me through the different GTA games for the ps2?

GTA III is the first of the 3D GTAs, and a revolutionary step. It's worth owning, but more as game history than playable pleasure. In-car controls are good but shooting is godawful and the radio stations (while amazing at the time of relase) don't begin to stack up to later iterations.

Vice City is the one to get if you love the 80s. It's all neon lights and Flock of Seagulls, with a ... a "rockin'" 80s soundtrack and inspiration lifted from Scarface and Goodfellas, to name a few.

San Andreas is the best of the bunch IMHO. Phenomenal graphics, the best soundtrack of any GTA (yes, imo that includes IV), and a whole free-roaming STATE to explore with empty deserts, ghost towns, huge forest stands and towering mountains. Add in analogs for San Francisco, Las Vegas and Los Angeles - 3 big cities with lots of personality - and you've got the king of PS2 GTAs. Also, the best voice work the PS2 ever saw.

It is absolutely huge, and the first GTA I was prepared to call epic. Get San Andreas.

In fact, get this - that's GTA III, VC and SA all for thirty bucks. That's the face of value.

Vice City Stories and Liberty City Stories are both full-fledged GTA titles, and though I've heard mixed-to-good things about both of them, having never laid hands on either I'm not prepared to endorse them.

Chance on