As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ow, my knee!

GrundlterrorGrundlterror Registered User regular
edited November 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
So I played flag football the other day for the first time in a very long time. I'm talking several years here. I had an awesome game, never really ran out of breath or felt injured or anything. Stretched a bit before the game too. I ran my ass off for about 2 - 3 hours, was diving everywhere for the ball and flags etc etc.

Anyway, the next morning I felt horribly sore... which is to be expected since I'm not the most athletic person in the world (I'm not overweight or anything like that... just not as in shape as I could be). So after limping around for two days my body stopped being sore... but my left knee has been killing me, even now (almost a week after the game). Also, when I sit down for a while my knee gets stiff. When I lay down for a while my knee gets stiff.

This isn't the first time it's happened to me either, I think this all stems from an old hockey injury I got about 10 years ago. Sometimes if I'm walking around for a very long time I'll get a slight pain from it. Are there exercises I can do to strengthen my knee? We played Flag Football again today and I had to sit out since I couldn't run. I want to be able to keep playing and not have to wait a week in between football games!

TL;DR - My knee is fucked whenever I do a physical activity. What are some exercises I can do to strengthen my knee?

edit - for clarification

steam_sig.png
Grundlterror on

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Where does it hurt in your knee? What was the old injury? Did you ever talk to a physical therapist? Does it ever feel weak or lock up on you?

Honestly, it's hard to figure out what's wrong with a knee if it's just general pain. A week is a pretty long time to have ongoing soreness and pain. You've injured it somehow, but if you're lucky, it's a muscle strain on sprain and not tendon damage. But it sounds like it's bad enough you need to see a Doctor, especially if it's not getting better. And talk to a physical therapist. They'll be able to give you much better advice on how to work around the old injury and strengthen up the knee than any of us on the internets can.

Kakodaimonos on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Where does it hurt in your knee? What was the old injury? Did you ever talk to a physical therapist? Does it ever feel weak or lock up on you?

Honestly, it's hard to figure out what's wrong with a knee if it's just general pain. A week is a pretty long time to have ongoing soreness and pain. You've injured it somehow, but if you're lucky, it's a muscle strain on sprain and not tendon damage. But it sounds like it's bad enough you need to see a Doctor, especially if it's not getting better. And talk to a physical therapist. They'll be able to give you much better advice on how to work around the old injury and strengthen up the knee than any of us on the internets can.

It's that hard part right below (lower on the leg, not underneath) the kneecap. The old injury was getting hit in hockey and my upper leg twisted but my bottom leg (below the knee) didn't. At least, thats what I attribute it to. I've never talked to a physical therapist and honestly it's never really bothered me too badly before... but now that I'm wanting to be active and do some athletics I was wondering how to fix it... or if it will eventually fix itself.

It looks like I might have to go talk to a physical therapist. Is that expensive? Should it be covered under my (very) basic health plan?

Grundlterror on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    my knee is somewhat similar

it sounds like you might have an irritated/torn ligament, perhaps you might have slightly dislocated your knee without realizing it

when the old injury happened, what exactly happened to the knee, lower and upper legs?

Raneados on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    It's been so long I can barely remember. I got checked wearing skates. My body and upper leg twisted left while my skate was planted firmly on the ground, so my lower leg didn't. It hurt and I was down for a while, coaches helped me off to the bench. I can't really remember for how long I was in pain afterwards, but I stopped playing hockey sometime shortly after that.

Grundlterror on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    It's been so long I can barely remember. I got checked wearing skates. My body and upper leg twisted left while my skate was planted firmly on the ground, so my lower leg didn't. It hurt and I was down for a while, coaches helped me off to the bench. I can't really remember for how long I was in pain afterwards, but I stopped playing hockey sometime shortly after that.

Ouch. That's a classic ACL/MCL injury scenario. You probably just got a minor tear or stretched a ligament since it sounds like you were able to walk on the knee after that.

But you definitely have some weakness in the knee and connective tissues after an episode like that. And you're more likely to re-injure if you don't rehab it.

If it gets better in a week or so, you could start some bodyweight range of motion work, like wall squats and leg extensions with no weight.

After a few weeks if it's not bothering, try some stationary cycling. It'll probably be pretty damn uncomfortable but not painful. Low resistance again, you're working on just getting the strength over the range of motion and stability back.

After 4 months of light work like cycling and bodyweight work, you can move up to some light jogging and light (emphasis on the light) weight workouts, like squats and lunges.

If it doesn't get better in a couple of weeks, you'll need to see a Doctor.

From what I remember, PT runs anywhere from $75/hr up to $150/hr, but that was quite a few years ago. You might want to call around and ask what the rates are if you feel like you might need some help on this.

Kakodaimonos on
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    was the leg straight when it got twisted or was there a bend at the knee?

and it definitely sounds like a ligament issue if your leg was planted while it was twisted

perhaps the medial collateral ligament or the patellar ligament

Raneados on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I hope to almighty christ you're using rest, ice, constrict, elevate on that bad boy

take care of your knees, man

Raneados on