As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Thinking about going to PAX needing guidance.

Mr. PeriodMr. Period Registered User regular
edited February 2005 in PAX Archive
I've been thinking about going to PAX for some time now as I've just come a cross a free plane ticket. Sadly having never been to any convention in my life I was kind of hoping I could get some feedback from people that went previously. Basically I'd just like to know what people recommend I do to make it that much more enjoyable.

As this is my first post I apologize in advance just in case I've managed to do something wrong.

Mr. Period on

• Options
    sPider817sPider817 Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2005
    Don't sleep. Drink lots of BAWLS, Mountain Dew, and coffee with so much sugar in it that the spoon sticks straight up. The less sleep you get, the more entertaining everything is, and you WANT to be entertained.

sPider817 on
    Battlenet: s314der#1279 XBL: s314der YouTube
    Twitch Wed-Sun, 2-5pm CST
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2005
    For the sake of everyone else at the convention, shower... Its not a 24 hour event this year, no one has an excuse not to go back to their hotel rooms and take care of a few hygiene matters from time to time...

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    Nate GravesNate Graves Registered User regular
    edited February 2005
    eelektrik wrote:
    For the sake of everyone else at the convention, shower... Its not a 24 hour event this year, no one has an excuse not to go back to their hotel rooms and take care of a few hygiene matters from time to time...

Seconded, although I find it amusing we actually have to tell people this. Maybe someone should set up Febreeze bottles by the doorway and just spray everyone who comes in 'less-than-fresh'.

Showering, by the way, will not just keep you clean, it's a fantastic way to wake yourself up.

And despite Spider's sage advice, over the course of three days, particularly if you drive all the way out to PAX, taking a nap for three or four hours is actually to your benefit here and there, as being conscious, or semi-conscious for the majority of events makes them more enjoyable. Just set aside some time you think there won't be something going on you don't want to miss, and sleep then. It's one big party, and it's easy to skimp on sleep because there's always something going on. Just decide what you want to do, and make sure you do those things.

Of course, your mileage may vary.

Just don't forget the obvious stuff, really. Accomodations, travel, food, etc. Whenever I take a trip, I just do a mental run-through of the days ahead, for example:

'...alright, I wake up, brush my te...okay, hygene products, then I get in the car...wallet, need money for gas and food, make sure I have CDs....get to the thing, see some cool stuff...oh, cool stuff! Make sure I have my camera,...and so on, you get the idea.

Nate Graves on
  • Options
    LeeLee Registered User regular
    edited February 2005
    Whenever I take a trip, I just do a mental run-through of the days ahead...

This is a really good idea; I always forget something when I go on a trip. Maybe this will prevent that.

Lee on
  • Options
    BorfaseBorfase __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2005
    drink alot

Borfase on
    duhhhh i like spaghetti-o's lolz
  • Options
    Red Machine DRed Machine D __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2005
    Mingle. We're not all antisocial jerkoffs.

Red Machine D on
  • Options
    edited February 2005
    but first drink alot

Borfase on
  • Options
    LincolnLincoln Registered User regular
    edited February 2005
    Borfase wrote:
    but first drink alot
    I don't know Borfase, mingling after drinking sometimes doesn't work out too well, and it's not very memorable for the drinkee.

Lincoln on
  • Options
    coolpcoolp Registered User regular
    edited February 2005
    Bawls for the win. If it's like last year they'll have the Bawls truck roll up and they will give out free bottles of Bawls, be sure to bring a backpack or something to keep your extras in.

coolp on
    sig.php?tag=coolp1
  • Options
    Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, ClubPA staff
    edited February 2005
    BAWLS rocked the house last year. Be sure to see the concerts this year- they're gonna be pretty incredible. And the Pitch Your Game Idea panels will also be entertaining, as we're making those a bit more robust. :)

-robert

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
  • Options
    edited February 2005
    BAWLS rocked the house last year. Be sure to see the concerts this year- they're gonna be pretty incredible. And the Pitch Your Game Idea panels will also be entertaining, as we're making those a bit more robust. :)

-robert
    Speaking of concerts, has MC Chris been confirmed? (Sorry if this is irritating.)

Lincoln on
  • Options
    Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, ClubPA staff
    edited February 2005
    good question.

-robert

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
  • Options
    ctishmanctishman Registered User regular
    edited February 2005
    ...but no answer...

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
    Get the PAX 2008 Countdown widget and while away your sad, pathetic life watching it tick down the hours to PAX '08!
    http://homepage.mac.com/ctishman
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited February 2005
    Borfase wrote:
    but first drink alot

Then drink a little more. Just enough so you're fun

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited February 2005
    Lincoln wrote:
    Borfase wrote:
    but first drink alot
    I don't know Borfase, mingling after drinking sometimes doesn't work out too well, and it's not very memorable for the drinkee.

quit trying to corrupt the lad

Borfase on
  • Options
    edited February 2005
    Borfase wrote:
    Lincoln wrote:
    Borfase wrote:
    but first drink alot

quit trying to corrupt the lad
    harhar

Lincoln on
  • Options
    Mr. PeriodMr. Period Registered User regular
    edited February 2005
    So should I bring a couple of cases of BAWLS or were the prices reasonable? also anyone try the sugar free version? If it's just as good as the regular one I'd prefer to get it because I don't like that sugary feeling on my teeth. Oh and I don't drink so don't worry I'm incorruptible :wink:

Mr. Period on
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2005
    Lincoln wrote:
    Borfase wrote:
    but first drink alot

Hey, I remember most of what happened that night. Other than meeting you for some reason.

Actually, I'm sure it had something to do with trying to keep one of the drunken bastards(I <3 ya still, though, Surly) there from continually trying to get one of my friends in bed...He would've regretted it...

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    graizurgraizur __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2005

-robert

...FOR THE WIN!

graizur on
  • Options
    NightingaleNightingale Registered User regular
    edited February 2005
    Since it looks like you have the bulk of the cost covered (travel expenses with a free plane ticket) I'd say go for it. This convention is not only extremely friendly, and has a ton to do, you've also found an excellent way to begin communicating with those who are going to be there.

Of course, remember to pack the essentials. Hygiene is really important. I think staying at the con hotel is a great idea since most people will also be staying at the hotel. You can meet up with a lot more people here and hang out in a quieter atmosphere than the busy con. The 'shadow pax' is also fun if you're just looking for people to hang out with and play games with.

I'd also suggest to stay connected to people by the forums. Contribute to topics and talk around. That way if someone asks you if you're from the forums you can say who you are and meet other people from it as well. It's almost just like going to a party with a bunch of new friends that way.

Depending on your location, keep in mind of your location's weather. Last year it was gorgeous in Bellevue but western washington has odd weather. It could rain all this time (heaven's forbid). So be prepared to dress comfortably.

Nightingale on
    finalnightsig.jpg