As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Lost Keys for 2000 Toyota MR-2 Spyder

MugenmidgetMugenmidget Registered User regular
edited November 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I don't know much about the situation but I'll try to inquire as necessary (it's not my vehicle). A friend of mine has lost his key to his 2000 Toyota MR-2 Spyder, one with either RFID or some other kind of chip (I honestly don't know). So the dealer wants roughly $1500 dollars to replace this key, and it seems like there's no other option.

However, I'm seeing a few things on eBay and sites (like this one http://www.a-1mobilelockandkey.com/transponderkeys.html) about programming/originating keys. What exactly is the procedure and how sketchy is this? I'd love to have some alternatives but I'm not sure all what can be done.

Also, about remotes for this car, I see there's reprogrammable ones being sold online but would they even be able to help in this situation? It seems a bit more complicated than that but I can't be sure.

Any similar experiences to this would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

e3ORbfq.png
Mugenmidget on

• Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    $1500 is an absurd price for a key. A new Prius key - with the in-pocket startup and everything - costs about $300 from the dealer. Maybe he might want to check around at other dealers in the area?

As far as I know there's no way to get by without getting a new one from the dealer.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MugenmidgetMugenmidget Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Hm. that might be worth a shot. So other Toyota dealers would be able to provide this service? I'm not sure what the deal is either, I was shocked and that's why I wanted to make sure it wasn't his only option. I'm positive he'd be a lot happier with something around $300 dollars, so thanks for that.

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Your best bet might be to call up a local independent repair shop that specializes in toyota and see what he says. If you already have a key, to order a blank, have it cut, and then programmed using your old key can be done for a couple hundred. But if you don't already have a key, and you have an engine immobilizer, then the computer that houses the engine immobilizer must be replaced with one which comes with a key. This is dependent upon the make and model and if such functionality is in the car, but if dealer quotes $1500 then likely it is. Your savings will come from sourcing a used computer/key combo and having it installed.

I recall a CarTalk episode where a caller had this problem, and the hosts said yeah that's way too expensive, look around and find someone to do it cheaper, and directed the caller to their forums. Found this post on their forums (not for you make/model though). The specifics for resolving that issue don't fit your make/model, but it may give you an idea what's involved in fixing your situation.

Djeet on
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2008
    Yeah, the thing is it's cheap-ish to get a key cut if you have a copy. If you've got nothing for them to work from at all, you're getting a brand new immobilizer, and they're tearing out the old one and putting the new one in. $1500 is probably about right for that, but you might be able to find someone to do it slightly cheaper. I don't know if I'd cheap out on engine work were I in his shoes but I'm not.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Pheezer wrote: »
    Yeah, the thing is it's cheap-ish to get a key cut if you have a copy. If you've got nothing for them to work from at all, you're getting a brand new immobilizer, and they're tearing out the old one and putting the new one in. $1500 is probably about right for that, but you might be able to find someone to do it slightly cheaper. I don't know if I'd cheap out on engine work were I in his shoes but I'm not.

This may be the problem, they may be quoting a replacement for the whole system rather than just the key. However, the dealer should be able to make a new key using the VIN of the vehicle, when I worked at Toyota, we did this a few times a year.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    eternalbleternalbl Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    There's almost no way that 1500 bucks should be right unless the system he has is aftermarket.

What'll more than likely be involved is replacing 2 keys because for whatever reason the programming will call for them both, and about 1 hour to program said keys. At 1500 bucks, ask why its so high priced. Check the price of keys, as well as the price of labour at the shop you're going to.

Toyota isn't retarded, there's no way in hell that PATS (passive anti theft system) on their cars will not allow keys to be programmed.

This doesn't take into account keyless entry remotes though, which can be like 100 bucks each.

eternalbl on
    eternalbl.png
  • Options
    ZeonZeon Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The guy above me is right. Ive never heard of an immobilizer system that didnt either have some sort of "Master" key you could use to reprogram the entire system in a case such as this one, or the ability to cut a new key and program it by VIN...

The dealership is just screwing this guy over. Get an itemized estimate and then go to 5 more dealerships if you have to until someone gives you a better quote.

Zeon on
    btworbanner.jpg
    Check out my band, click the banner.