As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Adoption issues versus gender rights.

EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
edited February 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
In another forum I normally go to, there's been a bit of a debate about a recent ruling in Canada

Biological father loses custody case
January 29, 2007
Canadian Press

SASKATOON – A baby boy at the centre of a case that pitted the rights of adoptive parents against those of a biological father will stay with the couple who have raised him since birth.

And the Saskatoon man who launched a legal battle to get his nine-month-old son returned to him will not be allowed to visit the child for one year unless all those involved agree.

In a Court of Queen's Bench ruling released today, Justice Shawn Smith said it was in the best interest of the boy to stay with the couple, who live in Prince Albert.

The decision, made public on the Law Society of Saskatchewan's website, said the biological father is "capable of providing a positive adult presence in the baby's life, but not in a parental role."

The judge also ordered a one-year period of "familial calm" to give the couple a chance to bond with the child. It is during that time that the biological father is not to visit his son. Such visits had been ordered by the court before the lawsuit went to trial last December.

Smith said in his ruling that the child's welfare must always be the most important consideration.

"While blood ties are one factor, they must be considered from the point of view of the significance to the child, rather than the significance to the biological parent," Smith wrote.

"The court must also consider the uncertainties associated with transferring a child from a known situation of security and stability to a situation with many unknowns. In the case of an infant, the court must consider the potential harm to a child in disrupting attachments (that) have developed or are almost formed."

The biological mother arranged for the couple, whom her family had known for 14 years, to take the child. But the father found out the woman was pregnant a few weeks before the baby was born.

The mother stated in guardianship documents that she didn't know who the father was, but a DNA test confirmed the paternity.

However, the contract between the mother and the couple was recognized as law. The guardians had already given the baby their surname and were seeking child-support payments from the father.

A publication ban was imposed on all names to protect the baby's identity.

During the trial, the biological mother testified she chose the couple to raise her son because she already knew them and they couldn't have children of their own.

The biological father pointed out he wasn't even aware he was the child's father and social services officials did nothing to help him once he found out. He testified he was willing and able to raise the boy.

His lawyer cautioned the judge to be wary of setting a precedent ``that deprives fathers of knowing and caring for their children."

But a lawyer for the couple urged Smith to put biology aside and consider the level of care his clients could provide. He pointed out the two are financially secure and educated, and could offer the baby better opportunities.

He also reminded the court about some of the negative aspects raised against the father and his fiancee during the trial. Both have experienced alcoholism, several failed relationships and unlawful conduct. The man also has other children by previous relationships, court heard.

The judge said at the time he would not give any weight to whether the child had bonded with the couple. He said determining when that happens "is an art as much as a science."

The father's lawyer also suggested during the trial that the agreement between the mother and the couple should be nullified because of the mother's "dishonesty."

But her lawyer disagreed, saying the mother made a difficult decision with a view to the best interest of the child.

The tl:dr version is this: Guy gets girl pregnant, guy doesn't know about it, girl puts child up for adoption, guy learns about it a few weeks before birth, guy sues to get child custody, guy fails to get it, as the baby was already with the adopted parents for months now. Apparently, the adoptive parents also intend to sue for child care payments, which according to the OP was a legal Canadian practice.

Save for that last bit, which nearly everyone had a problem with, there was a bit of a debate about the rights of the man in question, and in general regarding adoption. In other words, what rights does the man have pre-birth regarding a child's adoption, should he ethically be told about the pregnancy, and what legal actions can or should be taken if the woman doesn't reveal this information or puts the baby up for adoption without this awareness or consent.

Now, normally I wouldn't be interested in extending a debate like this to another forum entirely, but given the debate went from "spirited" to "another poster compared me to the guy posting rape fantasies," it understandably was starting to get to me. Granted, he is one of the worst posters on said forum, but still...rape fantasies. You don't just make claims like that.

Anyway, I was hoping to hear some opinions on the subject before posting my own to avoid any bias on the subject. But if that's too much to ask for an original post, I understand. I lurked here for a bit now, but I'm still relatively new, and this is an odd situation.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
EmperorSeth on

• Options
    h3nduh3ndu Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    If he was competent he should have been given his kid.

h3ndu on
    Lo Que Sea, Cuando Sea, Donde Sea.
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The fuck? If you aren't going to even let the guy know that he has a kid, and don't let him take care of him/her, why should he pay for him/her?

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    In other words, what rights does the man have pre-birth regarding a child's adoption, should he ethically be told about the pregnancy, and what legal actions can or should be taken if the woman doesn't reveal this information or puts the baby up for adoption without this awareness or consent.

I can't see any way of protecting the rights of fathers in this situation without endangering women who are raped or abused and end up pregnant with the fucker's baby.
    Guy gets girl pregnant, guy doesn't know about it, girl puts child up for adoption, guy learns about it a few weeks before birth, guy sues to get child custody, guy fails to get it, as the baby was already with the adopted parents for months now. Apparently, the adoptive parents also intend to sue for child care payments, which according to the OP was a legal Canadian practice.

Child care payments? That's fucking ludicrous unless he's given joint custody.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    What? You can just give away your kid to someone you choose? Buh?

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Feral wrote:

I can't see any way of protecting the rights of fathers in this situation without endangering women who are raped or abused and end up pregnant with the fucker's baby.

put in a clause saying "unless the women is a rape/abuse victim."

h3ndu on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Feral wrote:
    In other words, what rights does the man have pre-birth regarding a child's adoption, should he ethically be told about the pregnancy, and what legal actions can or should be taken if the woman doesn't reveal this information or puts the baby up for adoption without this awareness or consent.

Guy gets girl pregnant, guy doesn't know about it, girl puts child up for adoption, guy learns about it a few weeks before birth, guy sues to get child custody, guy fails to get it, as the baby was already with the adopted parents for months now. Apparently, the adoptive parents also intend to sue for child care payments, which according to the OP was a legal Canadian practice.

Yeah, I'm going to have to agree.

I dislike the lack of equal say, somewhat, but it ultimately comes down to the dude flinging some seed on the woman's garden, then wandering off and coming back expecting to have equal rights to the pumpkin that grew.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    h3ndu wrote:
    Feral wrote:

put in a clause saying "unless the women is a rape victim."

Both rape and abuse often go unreported due to fears of reprisal.

Now I am very unsettled when I compare the number of fathers whose rights are vacated in order to protect a vastly smaller number of victims.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    h3ndu wrote:
    Feral wrote:

I don't have any confidence that this would do anything except give the fathers something else to threaten the victims over.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    edited January 2007
    Feral wrote:
    h3ndu wrote:
    Feral wrote:

I don't have any confidence that this would do anything except give the fathers something else to threaten the victims over.

well damn. Let's not even present the option then.

h3ndu on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    h3ndu wrote:
    Feral wrote:
    h3ndu wrote:
    Feral wrote:

Sounds good.

Feral on

• Options
    edited January 2007
    Feral wrote:
    h3ndu wrote:
    Feral wrote:
    h3ndu wrote:
    Feral wrote:

Sounds good.

ok.

h3ndu on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    This kind of reminds me of this case I read for class where this dude's girlfriend has a kid, and then they break up. He's an alright dude though so he admits paternity and pays child support. Cut to four years later, he learns she cheated on him and it isn't his kid. He gets DNA tests done to prove it. Understandably, he wants to stop paying for the kid that isn't his. Court orders him to continue paying child support because, well, he's been doing it up until now and hell, it's good for the kid.

The legal system is all kinds of fucked when it comes to paternity.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I agree that child care is insane without him having some sort of custody. Similarly, I don't enjoy that he both wasn't informed and is expected to lend support.

I haven't thought very much about this issue, but wouldn't some sort of legally binding contract be appropriate for fixing problems like this? Like, if two people don't have a marriage or civil union, while one of them is pregnant, they just legally establish that the non-pregnant person has responsibilities towards the pregnancy and/or future kid (or the person rejects the contract, and everyone knows where they stand)?

I have no idea about the ramifications and I haven't really thought this through very much, but...

/shrug

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I agree that child care is insane without him having some sort of custody. Similarly, I don't enjoy that he both wasn't informed and is expected to lend support.

I haven't thought very much about this issue, but wouldn't some sort of legally binding contract be appropriate for fixing problems like this? Like, if two people don't have a marriage or civil union, while one of them is pregnant, they just legally establish that the non-pregnant person has responsibilities towards the pregnancy and/or future kid (or the person rejects the contract, and everyone knows where they stand)?

I have no idea about the ramifications and I haven't really thought this through very much, but...

/shrug

Yeah, the binding contract pre-conception was one of the ideas I suggested. For the record, this was where someone started saying I had father issues and hated men. For the record, both people involved in this argument are men.

I agree on the child care thing, but pretty much everyone did.

You presented one problem to giving the guy control/custody over the child regarding adoption proceedings, but what if we assume that rape/abuse isn't the problem. Of course, in real life it's impossible to be certain on the subject, but still. Assuming that she puts the child up for adoption, can/should the woman be legally required to report who the father is? If so, how can it be enforced, given that the woman herself may not know? If not, how can he get custody in time?

Oh, and it may be a while before I reply again. I'm going to bed for now, so I'll have to rejoin the conversation tomorrow morning.

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The potential precedent from this case is why I think donating to sperm banks is a bad idea.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited January 2007

/shrug

Yeah, the binding contract pre-conception was one of the ideas I suggested. For the record, this was where someone started saying I had father issues and hated men. For the record, both people involved in this argument are men.

I agree on the child care thing, but pretty much everyone did.

You presented one problem to giving the guy control/custody over the child regarding adoption proceedings, but what if we assume that rape/abuse isn't the problem. Of course, in real life it's impossible to be certain on the subject, but still. Assuming that she puts the child up for adoption, can/should the woman be legally required to report who the father is? If so, how can it be enforced, given that the woman herself may not know? If not, how can he get custody in time?

Oh, and it may be a while before I reply again. I'm going to bed for now, so I'll have to rejoin the conversation tomorrow morning.

I'd always hew towards giving the woman the authority. She can offer the contract or not. She's the one having the baby and I don't feel that she has any general obligation to tell the guy.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Contracts are a nice idea and all but no one is actually going to do that every time they sleep with someone.

I mean seriously, you get blasted at a bar and you hook up with someone for a one night stand, how many people are going to be "oh yeah sign this before you go."

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Contracts are a nice idea and all but no one is actually going to do that every time they sleep with someone.

I mean seriously, you get blasted at a bar and you hook up with someone for a one night stand, how many people are going to be "oh yeah sign this before you go."

...In the context of a pregnancy, not just after any tappage.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Ok how are you going to find that dude you slept with that one time three weeks back that you only met once and have not seen since and don't remember much about because you were really drunk?

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Ok how are you going to find that dude you slept with that one time three weeks back that you only met once and have not seen since and don't remember much about because you were really drunk?

I'm not sure what the problem is here. Why would you want to find that dude?

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Because you're having his baby.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Because you're having his baby.

You could, like, not.

EDIT: (to set the cost of an abortion to the side)

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    This case appears to have been decided in the interest of the child. I approve.

The support payments are stupid, but I think we all agree on that.

MrMister on
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    DarkPrimus wrote:
    The potential precedent from this case is why I think donating to sperm banks is a bad idea.

Given that its a case in Canada, and you're in the states, I don't think it sets much precedent for the US.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Corvus wrote:
    DarkPrimus wrote:

Given that its a case in Canada, and you're in the states, I don't think it sets much precedent for the US.

You mean we haven't annexed them yet?

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    DarkPrimus wrote:
    Corvus wrote:
    DarkPrimus wrote:

:roll:

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Corvus wrote:
    DarkPrimus wrote:
    Corvus wrote:
    DarkPrimus wrote:

:roll:

Just because I don't live in the country doesn't mean I can't worry about what goes on in their legal system, y'know.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    ZonkytonkmanZonkytonkman Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    MrMister wrote:
    This case appears to have been decided in the interest of the child. I approve.

The support payments are stupid, but I think we all agree on that.

yes, lets just throw babies around all willy nilly to the best parents, regardless of the parentage.

"Each, raising as many as are able, to the best of their own abilities."

I like it.

Zonkytonkman on
  • Options
    Knuckle DraggerKnuckle Dragger Explosive Ovine Disposal Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I have some severe issues with a child being able to be put up for adoption against the consent of one parent.

Knuckle Dragger on
    Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    DNA is a pretty arbitrary value for determining personal rights

Paladin on
    Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Im so disgusted by this Im having difficulty forming a coherant post about it, so forgive me for this rather disjointed post.

This is the most disgusting legal decision I have ever seen taken. The father wants to take care of the child! He wants to raise his son/daughter for gods sake, and the court says that he can't because the mother already put it up for adoption?? Without him knowing!! Did he rape the woman? Did he force her to have the baby?

The courts can take children away from their parents now without the parents having done anything wrong! Based on the fact that other people might be better parents? Well, we'd better get out there and take all the babies away from mentally handicapped patients, and the poor. Those miserable scum wont be able to raise them properly.

And to deny him the right to raise his kid based on the secure financial situation of the adoptive parents, and then force him to pay child support and prevent him seeing the child for a year? Thats just vindictive.

"No sir, you are too poor to care for a child, even if you want to. However you must pay crippling child support payments for a child you arent even allowed to see."

This is horrifying. Social engineering at its worst and a step backwards in the rights of fathers everywhere. Imagine if this had been the mother somehow wanting a baby back that had been adopted against her will, the country would be up in arms.

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    Aroused BullAroused Bull Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Paladin wrote:
    Agreed. If the only connection the father has to the baby is a wad he shot nine months ago, then I don't see why he should have custody rights similar to those of the mother.

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    SliverSliver Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    This is one of the reasons I wish men had more options in the birth control department than condoms.

Sliver on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Paladin wrote:
    Agreed. If the only connection the father has to the baby is a wad he shot nine months ago, then I don't see why he should have custody rights similar to those of the mother.

If he clearly wants the child, I imagine the only reason he didnt get involved earlier is because the mother didnt tell him he was going to be a father!

You cant have it both ways, demand that mothers have full rights to control over the pregnancy and give them total control over the rights of the child and force fathers to pay child support. If the father has no rights to the child, then he cannot morally be asked to support it. The concept of child support is an admission that after birth both parents have equal rights and responsibilities in the childs life, this case sets the precedent that fathers have only a financial responsibility, with no parental rights.

DNA is the only standard for establishing parental rights, at birth (assuming neither party forfitted their right by raping the other etc). As a biological parent you have to give these rights up if you dont want the baby, the government should not be able to take them away if you have done nothing wrong other than being a man.

tbloxham on
  • Options
    WillyGilliganWillyGilligan Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Paladin wrote:

DNA is also a pretty arbitrary value for assigning responsibilities, too.

Sadly, I think rape is an easy allegation to make and a hard one to prove a lot of the time, so a law forcing equal custodianship with a rape opt-out would seem to provide an incentive for a woman to claim rape in situations where she doesn't want to share custody of the child. I think it would be rare, and in a just world the false accusations would be found out, but all manner of legal shenanigans seem to happen whenever children are involved, so I worry about these things.

WillyGilligan on
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Should really be done at the birth really when all the certificates are being sorted out (or before birth when all the certification is being carried out). If you had to work out who the parents were then, you could avoid most of the complicated issues like this. You'd still have a bunch of cases where a man might find out he actually had a kid at some point in the future, but then its up to him and the new family to work out what they want to do - how often he can see the kid, what role he will play and whether he is paying child support.

Honestly I don't agree with child support at all really, I could see it if a couple divorced (or split up having raised the child for some time) where both parents had been raising the kid together anyway, but not under any other circumstances.

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    Aroused BullAroused Bull Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    tbloxham wrote:
    Paladin wrote:

If he clearly wants the child, I imagine the only reason he didnt get involved earlier is because the mother didnt tell him he was going to be a father!
    Say a man has sex with a woman, they break up, he goes away for nine months and when he comes back she's had a baby. What exactly gives him rights to that child? The fact that it was his sperm that did the deed seems an arbitrary decider. I'm not saying it's necessarily a bad one, I'm just having trouble seeing the reasoning behind it.
    If the father has no rights to the child, then he cannot morally be asked to support it. The concept of child support is an admission that after birth both parents have equal rights and responsibilities in the childs life, this case sets the precedent that fathers have only a financial responsibility, with no parental rights.
    I think everyone here agrees that child support payments would in this case be ridiculous.
    This is horrifying. Social engineering at its worst and a step backwards in the rights of fathers everywhere. Imagine if this had been the mother somehow wanting a baby back that had been adopted against her will, the country would be up in arms.
    As a biological parent you have to give these rights up if you dont want the baby, the government should not be able to take them away if you have done nothing wrong other than being a man.
    It sounds like you feel victimised. Care to expand?

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    What hapenned to the part where the government are just civilians elected to do a job and aren't in fact gods of their domain where they can do whatever the fuck they want? Its a guys kid, he has the rights not the government and not some foster family.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    tbloxham wrote:
    Paladin wrote:

Say a man has sex with a woman, they break up, he goes away for nine months and when he comes back she's had a baby. What exactly gives him rights to that child? The fact that it was his sperm that did the deed seems an arbitrary decider. I'm not saying it's necessarily a bad one, I'm just having trouble seeing the reasoning behind it.
    If the father has no rights to the child, then he cannot morally be asked to support it. The concept of child support is an admission that after birth both parents have equal rights and responsibilities in the childs life, this case sets the precedent that fathers have only a financial responsibility, with no parental rights.
    I think everyone here agrees that child support payments would in this case be ridiculous.
    As a biological parent you have to give these rights up if you dont want the baby, the government should not be able to take them away if you have done nothing wrong other than being a man.
    It sounds like you feel victimised. Care to expand?

If we dont let parents (either mother or father) have for want of a better word 'first refusal' on child custody then surely the government should take babies from the poor or ill educated. We cant just distribute children based on merit.

As for the father who went away, it depends whether he was informed or not. If he was informed, and said "I dont want no stinkin kid!" and ran off then the mother is free to take the actions she chooses based on what he says and just because he changes his mind later he cant then undo her actions.

However if the father isnt told then he doesnt forfit his right to raise his son/daughter. The mother has the right to protect herself from the risks to her own body inherant in pregnancy by having an abortion etc, thats why secrecy is allowed, but she shouldnt be allowed to hide the child if she does intend to have it.

I dont understand how you cant see that someone who isnt allowed to raise their own child is going to suffer in this situation. He wont be less miserable because he is a man, noone would argue if a woman said "my baby is important to me" immediately after it was born. I mean, wheres the logic, she doesnt know the child. She's never interacted with it before, it doesnt know who she is. Yet noone would disagree with her, and rightly so. Whereas a man cant say the same, or at least this is what this case states.

Im not saying I feel victimised, Im just disgusted by the double standards inherant in this case. The man is given responsibilities, but no rights. He is denied those rights because of some arbitrary factor of parenting skill which would never have been applied to the mother.

If it later turns out that the father is a drug dealing murderer then we have ourselves a logical case, but if he is just a working guy who wants to do his best to raise his son/daughter? How can you possibly say he doesnt have the right to do so?

tbloxham on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Paladin wrote:

Exactly.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg